Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: myh6
Description: myosin, heavy chain 6, cardiac muscle, alpha
Alias: amhc, myosin-7, atrial myosin heavy chain, cardiac muscle myosin heavy chain 6 alpha, myosin, heavy polypeptide 6, cardiac muscle, alpha, unm s459, unm_s459, wea, weak atrium
- Feijóo C, Saldias M, De la Paz J, Gomez Skarmeta J, Allende M. Formation of posterior cranial placode derivatives requires the Iroquois transcription factor irx4a. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009;40:328-37 pubmed publisher..Our results point to irx4a as a critical gene for numerous developmental processes and highlight its role in the formation of placodal derivatives in vertebrates. ..
- Waxman J, Keegan B, Roberts R, Poss K, Yelon D. Hoxb5b acts downstream of retinoic acid signaling in the forelimb field to restrict heart field potential in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2008;15:923-34 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results offer new perspectives on the mechanisms regulating organ size and the possible causes of congenital syndromes affecting both the heart and forelimb. ..
- TARGOFF K, Schell T, Yelon D. Nkx genes regulate heart tube extension and exert differential effects on ventricular and atrial cell number. Dev Biol. 2008;322:314-21 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that morphogenetic errors could originate during early stages of heart tube assembly in patients with NKX2-5 mutations. ..
- Chocron S, Verhoeven M, Rentzsch F, Hammerschmidt M, Bakkers J. Zebrafish Bmp4 regulates left-right asymmetry at two distinct developmental time points. Dev Biol. 2007;305:577-88 pubmed..The identification of these two distinct and opposing activities of BMP signaling provides new insight into how BMP signaling can regulate LR patterning. ..
- Auman H, Coleman H, Riley H, Olale F, Tsai H, Yelon D. Functional modulation of cardiac form through regionally confined cell shape changes. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e53 pubmed..Together, these data establish regionally confined cell shape change as a cellular mechanism for chamber emergence and as a link in the relationship between form and function during organ morphogenesis. ..
- Langenbacher A, Dong Y, Shu X, Choi J, Nicoll D, Goldhaber J, et al. Mutation in sodium-calcium exchanger 1 (NCX1) causes cardiac fibrillation in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:17699-704 pubmed..These data signify the essential role of calcium homeostasis and NCX1h in establishing rhythmic contraction in the embryonic zebrafish heart. ..
- Lagendijk A, Goumans M, Burkhard S, Bakkers J. MicroRNA-23 restricts cardiac valve formation by inhibiting Has2 and extracellular hyaluronic acid production. Circ Res. 2011;109:649-57 pubmed publisher..MiR-23 in the embryonic heart is required to restrict endocardial cushion formation by inhibiting Has2 expression and extracellular hyaluronic acid production. ..
- Camarata T, Krcmery J, Snyder D, Park S, Topczewski J, Simon H. Pdlim7 (LMP4) regulation of Tbx5 specifies zebrafish heart atrio-ventricular boundary and valve formation. Dev Biol. 2010;337:233-45 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that controlling the correct balance of Tbx5 activity is crucial for the specification of the AV boundary and valve formation. ..
- Waxman J, Yelon D. Increased Hox activity mimics the teratogenic effects of excess retinoic acid signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1207-13 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Hox activity mediates the differential effects of ectopic RA on atrial and ventricular cardiomyocytes and may underlie the teratogenic effects of RA on the heart. ..
- Berdougo E, Coleman H, Lee D, Stainier D, Yelon D. Mutation of weak atrium/atrial myosin heavy chain disrupts atrial function and influences ventricular morphogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:6121-9 pubmed..As weak atrium/atrial myosin heavy chain is expressed only in the atrium, the ventricular phenotypes in weak atrium mutants represent a secondary ..
- Chi N, Shaw R, De Val S, Kang G, Jan L, Black B, et al. Foxn4 directly regulates tbx2b expression and atrioventricular canal formation. Genes Dev. 2008;22:734-9 pubmed publisher..sli/foxn4 is expressed in the AV canal, and its encoded product binds to a highly conserved tbx2 enhancer domain that contains Foxn4- and T-box-binding sites, both necessary to regulate tbx2b expression in the AV canal. ..
- Ghosh T, Song F, Packham E, Buxton S, Robinson T, Ronksley J, et al. Physical interaction between TBX5 and MEF2C is required for early heart development. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:2205-18 pubmed publisher..interaction between TBX5 and MEF2C leading to a synergistic activation of the alpha-cardiac myosin heavy chain (MYH6). Mutants of TBX5, TBX5G80R, and TBX5R279X that produce severe cardiac phenotypes impair the synergy...
- Keegan B, Meyer D, Yelon D. Organization of cardiac chamber progenitors in the zebrafish blastula. Development. 2004;131:3081-91 pubmed..Indeed, via fate mapping, we demonstrate that Nodal signaling promotes ventricular fate specification near the margin, thereby playing an important early role during myocardial patterning...
- Xie H, Fan X, Tang X, Wan Y, Chen F, Wang X, et al. The LIM protein fhlA is essential for heart chamber development in zebrafish embryos. Curr Mol Med. 2013;13:979-92 pubmed..The morphology associated with the cmlc2, amhc, and vmhc expression patterns at the 22 somite and 24 hpf stages included a broadened domain in embryos lacking ..
- Wagh V, Doss M, Sabour D, Niemann R, Meganathan K, Jagtap S, et al. Fam40b is required for lineage commitment of murine embryonic stem cells. Cell Death Dis. 2014;5:e1320 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the expression of Fam40b is essential for the lineage commitment of murine embryonic stem cells (mESCs) into differentiated somatic cells via mechanisms involving pluripotency and epigenetic networks...
- Li J, Jia W, Zhao Q. Excessive nitrite affects zebrafish valvulogenesis through yielding too much NO signaling. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e92728 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show that excessive nitrite affects early valve leaflet formation by producing too much NO signaling. ..
- Wang X, Zhao Z, Müller J, Iyu A, Khng A, Guccione E, et al. Targeted inactivation and identification of targets of the Gli2a transcription factor in the zebrafish. Biol Open. 2013;2:1203-13 pubmed publisher..Each of these genes shows loss of, or reduced expression in, embryos homozygous for an antimorphic allele of gli2a, you-too (yot), consistent with their being direct targets of Gli2a. ..
- Rosenfeld G, Mercer E, Mason C, Evans T. Small heat shock proteins Hspb7 and Hspb12 regulate early steps of cardiac morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2013;381:389-400 pubmed publisher..Therefore, GATA4 and HSPB7 may act alone or together to regulate morphogenesis with relevance to congenital and acquired human heart disease...
- Wang W, Zhang L, Gui Y, Song H. Retinol dehydrogenase, RDH1l, is essential for the heart development and cardiac performance in zebrafish. Chin Med J (Engl). 2013;126:722-8 pubmed..These results show for the first time that an enzyme involved in the retinol to retinaldehyde conversion participate in the heart development and cardiac performance in zebrafish. ..
- Patra C, Diehl F, Ferrazzi F, van Amerongen M, Novoyatleva T, Schaefer L, et al. Nephronectin regulates atrioventricular canal differentiation via Bmp4-Has2 signaling in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:4499-509 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results identify Npnt as a novel upstream regulator of Bmp4-Has2 signaling that plays a crucial role in AV canal differentiation. ..
- Just S, Meder B, Berger I, Etard C, Trano N, Patzel E, et al. The myosin-interacting protein SMYD1 is essential for sarcomere organization. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:3127-36 pubmed publisher..By contrast, ectopic expression of myosin-binding-deficient SMYD1 does not rescue fla mutants, implicating an essential role for the SMYD1-myosin interaction in cardiac and fast-twitch skeletal muscle thick filament assembly...
- Simões F, Peterkin T, Patient R. Fgf differentially controls cross-antagonism between cardiac and haemangioblast regulators. Development. 2011;138:3235-45 pubmed publisher..We propose that elevation of Fgf signalling in the anterior haemangioblast territory could have led to its recruitment into the heart field during evolution, increasing the size of the heart. ..
- Znosko W, Yu S, Thomas K, Molina G, Li C, Tsang W, et al. Overlapping functions of Pea3 ETS transcription factors in FGF signaling during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2010;342:11-25 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrated the interaction of Pea3 ETS factors with the Dusp6 promoter both in vitro and in vivo. These results revealed the requirement of ETS factors in transducing FGF signals in developmental processes. ..
- Xu D, Bu J, Gu S, Xia Y, Du J, Wang Y. Celecoxib impairs heart development via inhibiting cyclooxygenase-2 activity in zebrafish embryos. Anesthesiology. 2011;114:391-400 pubmed publisher..not the cardiac chamber markers cardiac myosin light chain 2, ventricular myosin heavy chain, and atrial myosin heavy chain. These defects in heart development were markedly relieved by treatment with the cyclooxygenase-2 ..
- Langenbacher A, Nguyen C, Cavanaugh A, Huang J, Lu F, Chen J. The PAF1 complex differentially regulates cardiomyocyte specification. Dev Biol. 2011;353:19-28 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate critical but differential requirements for PAF1C components in zebrafish cardiac specification and heart morphogenesis. ..
- Zhao L, Zhao X, Tian T, Lu Q, Skrbo Larssen N, Wu D, et al. Heart-specific isoform of tropomyosin4 is essential for heartbeat in zebrafish embryos. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;80:200-8 pubmed publisher..Tpm4-tv1 is a heart-specific isoform of Tpm4 and is essential for heartbeat in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Witzel H, Jungblut B, Choe C, Crump J, Braun T, Dobreva G. The LIM protein Ajuba restricts the second heart field progenitor pool by regulating Isl1 activity. Dev Cell. 2012;23:58-70 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ajuba plays a central role in regulating the SHF during heart development by linking RA signaling to the function of Isl1, a key transcription factor in cardiac progenitor cells. ..
- Huang H, Jin T, He J, Ding Q, Xu D, Wang L, et al. Progesterone and adipoQ receptor 11 links ras signaling to cardiac development in zebrafish. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:2158-70 pubmed publisher..This study not only provides in vivo evidence that PAQR11 plays a critical role in heart morphogenesis but also pinpoints the importance of compartmentalized Ras signaling during development. ..
- Miyasaka K, Kida Y, Banjo T, Ueki Y, Nagayama K, Matsumoto T, et al. Heartbeat regulates cardiogenesis by suppressing retinoic acid signaling via expression of miR-143. Mech Dev. 2011;128:18-28 pubmed publisher..Our data uncover a novel epigenetic link between heartbeat and cardiac development, with miR-143 as an essential component of the mechanotransduction cascade. ..
- Sorrell M, Dohn T, D Aniello E, Waxman J. Tcf7l1 proteins cell autonomously restrict cardiomyocyte and promote endothelial specification in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;380:199-210 pubmed publisher..This study expands our understanding of the in vivo developmental requirements of Tcf7l1 proteins and the mechanisms directing CM development in vertebrates. ..
- Nguyen C, Langenbacher A, Hsieh M, Chen J. The PAF1 complex component Leo1 is essential for cardiac and neural crest development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2010;341:167-75 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results provide the first genetic evidence of the requirement for Leo1 in the development of the heart and neural crest cell populations. ..
- Eum J, Kwak J, Kim H, Ki S, Lee K, Raslan A, et al. 3D Visualization of Developmental Toxicity of 2,4,6-Trinitrotoluene in Zebrafish Embryogenesis Using Light-Sheet Microscopy. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed..Identification of cellular toxicity in zebrafish using the state-of-the-art 3D imaging system could form the basis of a sensitive biosensor for environmental contaminants and be further valued by combining it with molecular analysis. ..
- Siddique B, Kinoshita S, Wongkarangkana C, Asakawa S, Watabe S. Evolution and Distribution of Teleost myomiRNAs: Functionally Diversified myomiRs in Teleosts. Mar Biotechnol (NY). 2016;18:436-47 pubmed publisher..The major cardiac MYH isoforms in teleosts are an intronless gene, atrial myosin heavy chain (amhc), and ventricular myosin heavy chain (vmhc) gene that encodes an intronic miRNA, miR-736...
- Noël E, Verhoeven M, Lagendijk A, Tessadori F, Smith K, Choorapoikayil S, et al. A Nodal-independent and tissue-intrinsic mechanism controls heart-looping chirality. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2754 pubmed publisher..We find that Nodal signalling regulates actin gene expression, supporting a model in which Nodal signalling amplifies this tissue-intrinsic mechanism of heart looping. ..
- Lu G, Ren S, Korge P, Choi J, Dong Y, Weiss J, et al. A novel mitochondrial matrix serine/threonine protein phosphatase regulates the mitochondria permeability transition pore and is essential for cellular survival and development. Genes Dev. 2007;21:784-96 pubmed..These data suggest that PP2Cm is a novel mitochondrial protein phosphatase that has a critical function in cell death and survival, and may play a role in regulating the MPTP opening. ..
- Burrows J, Pearson B, Scott I. An inÂ vivo requirement for the mediator subunit med14 in the maintenance of stem cell populations. Stem Cell Reports. 2015;4:670-84 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show a critical, evolutionarily conserved, inÂ vivo function for Med14 (and Mediator) in stem cell maintenance, distinct from a general role in transcription. ..
- Rydeen A, Waxman J. Cyp26 enzymes are required to balance the cardiac and vascular lineages within the anterior lateral plate mesoderm. Development. 2014;141:1638-48 pubmed publisher..Our study provides novel insight into the earliest consequences of Cyp26 deficiency that underlie cardiovascular malformations in vertebrate embryos. ..
- Maves L, Tyler A, Moens C, Tapscott S. Pbx acts with Hand2 in early myocardial differentiation. Dev Biol. 2009;333:409-18 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate new roles for Pbx proteins in vertebrate cardiac development and also provide new insight into connections between the transcriptional regulation of skeletal and cardiac muscle differentiation programs. ..
- Kim J, Kim E, Koun S, Ham H, Rhee M, Kim M, et al. Proper Activity of Histone H3 Lysine 4 (H3K4) Methyltransferase Is Required for Morphogenesis during Zebrafish Cardiogenesis. Mol Cells. 2015;38:580-6 pubmed publisher..in cardiac morphogenesis without altering the expressions pattern of heart markers, including cmlc2, vmhc, and amhc. Furthermore, double knock-down by coinjection of smyd3 and setd7 MOs caused the synergistic defects in heart ..
- Lin C, Huang C, Wang W, Hsiao C, Cheng C, Wu Y, et al. Low temperature mitigates cardia bifida in zebrafish embryos. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69788 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that temperature coordinates the development of the heart tube and somitogenesis, and that extracellular matrix genes (fibronectin 1, tenascin-c and tenascin-w) are involved. ..
- Novikov N, Evans T. Tmem88a mediates GATA-dependent specification of cardiomyocyte progenitors by restricting WNT signaling. Development. 2013;140:3787-98 pubmed publisher..Tmem88a is a novel component of the regulatory mechanism controlling the second phase of biphasic WNT activity essential for embryonic cardiogenesis. ..
- Rottbauer W, Just S, Wessels G, Trano N, Most P, Katus H, et al. VEGF-PLCgamma1 pathway controls cardiac contractility in the embryonic heart. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1624-34 pubmed..Thus, the muscle of the heart uses the VEGF-PLCgamma1 cascade to control the strength of the heart beat. We speculate that this paracrine system may contribute to normal and pathological regulation of cardiac contractility. ..
- Wang X, Chong M, Wang X, Wang H, Zhang J, Xu H, et al. Block the function of nonmuscle myosin II by blebbistatin induces zebrafish embryo cardia bifida. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2015;51:211-7 pubmed publisher..hybridization analysis with ventricular marker ventricular myosin heavy chain (vmhc) and atrial marker atrial myosin heavy chain (amhc) showed each of the heart contained both distinct atria and ventricle...
- Li M, Hu X, Zhu J, Zhu C, Zhu S, Liu X, et al. Overexpression of miR-19b impairs cardiac development in zebrafish by targeting ctnnb1. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2014;33:1988-2002 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that miR-19b regulates laterality development and heart looping in zebrafish embryos by targeting ctnnb1. ..
- Dickover M, Hegarty J, Ly K, Lopez D, Yang H, Zhang R, et al. The atypical Rho GTPase, RhoU, regulates cell-adhesion molecules during cardiac morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2014;389:182-91 pubmed publisher..Failure to properly form these cell adhesions during cardiac development may lead to structural heart defects and mechanistically account for the cellular events that occur in certain human congenital heart diseases. ..
- Hisano Y, Ota S, Takada S, Kawahara A. Functional cooperation of spns2 and fibronectin in cardiac and lower jaw development. Biol Open. 2013;2:789-94 pubmed publisher..These results strongly suggest that Spns2-S1PR2 signaling and fibronectin cooperatively regulate both cardiac and lower jaw development in zebrafish. ..
- Wu M, Zuo Z, Li B, Huang L, Chen M, Wang C. Effects of low-level hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) exposure on cardiac development in zebrafish embryos. Ecotoxicology. 2013;22:1200-7 pubmed publisher..However, HBCD exposure did not significantly change the expression of Actc1l, Tnnt2, and Myh6, which are mainly muscle contractile genes that play key roles in the formation of cardiac structure...
- Rohr S, Bit Avragim N, Abdelilah Seyfried S. Heart and soul/PRKCi and nagie oko/Mpp5 regulate myocardial coherence and remodeling during cardiac morphogenesis. Development. 2006;133:107-15 pubmed
- Marques S, Yelon D. Differential requirement for BMP signaling in atrial and ventricular lineages establishes cardiac chamber proportionality. Dev Biol. 2009;328:472-82 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies uncover a new role for BMP signaling in the regulation of chamber size, supporting a model in which differential reception of cardiac inductive signals establishes chamber proportion. ..