Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: msx1b
Description: muscle segment homeobox 1b
Alias: etID309829.1, msh-B, mshB, msxb, wu:fk04h02, zgc:110559, homeobox protein MSH-B, homeodomain protein msxb, muscle segment homeobox B
- Christen B, Robles V, Raya M, Paramonov I, Izpisua Belmonte J. Regeneration and reprogramming compared. BMC Biol. 2010;8:5 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose a link between partially reprogrammed induced pluripotent stem cells and the half way state of blastema cells and suggest that a common mechanism might be regulating these two processes. ..
- Stewart S, Tsun Z, Izpisua Belmonte J. A histone demethylase is necessary for regeneration in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:19889-94 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that histone modifications at discreet genomic positions may serve as a crucial regulatory event in the initiation of fin regeneration. ..
- Kizil C, Otto G, Geisler R, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, Antos C. Simplet controls cell proliferation and gene transcription during zebrafish caudal fin regeneration. Dev Biol. 2009;325:329-40 pubmed publisher..In addition, smp knockdown increased the expression of msxb, msxc, and shh, as well as the later formation of ectopic bone...
- Tribulo C, Aybar M, Nguyen V, Mullins M, Mayor R. Regulation of Msx genes by a Bmp gradient is essential for neural crest specification. Development. 2003;130:6441-52 pubmed publisher..We propose a model where a gradient of Bmp activity specifies the expression of Msx genes in the neural folds, and that this expression is essential for the early specification of the neural crest...
- Stoick Cooper C, Weidinger G, Riehle K, Hubbert C, Major M, Fausto N, et al. Distinct Wnt signaling pathways have opposing roles in appendage regeneration. Development. 2007;134:479-89 pubmed..These data suggest that Wnt/beta-catenin signaling promotes regeneration, whereas a distinct pathway activated by wnt5b acts in a negative-feedback loop to limit regeneration. ..
- Chablais F, Jazwinska A. IGF signaling between blastema and wound epidermis is required for fin regeneration. Development. 2010;137:871-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, IGF signaling upregulated upon fin amputation represents a signal from the blastema to the wound epithelium, a crucial step in appendage regeneration. ..
- Münch J, González Rajal A, de la Pompa J. Notch regulates blastema proliferation and prevents differentiation during adult zebrafish fin regeneration. Development. 2013;140:1402-11 pubmed publisher..in the regenerating fin leads to increased proliferation and to the expansion of the blastema cell markers msxe and msxb, as well as increased expression of the proliferation regulator aldh1a2...
- Bouzaffour M, Dufourcq P, Lecaudey V, Haas P, Vriz S. Fgf and Sdf-1 pathways interact during zebrafish fin regeneration. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5824 pubmed publisher..This observation supports the idea that the regeneration process involves a delicate balance between multiple pathways. ..
- Nechiporuk A, Keating M. A proliferation gradient between proximal and msxb-expressing distal blastema directs zebrafish fin regeneration. Development. 2002;129:2607-17 pubmed..We show that during early regeneration, proliferating blastemal cells express msxb, a homeodomain transcriptional repressor...
- Shao J, Chen D, Ye Q, Cui J, Li Y, Li L. Tissue regeneration after injury in adult zebrafish: the regenerative potential of the caudal fin. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1271-7 pubmed publisher..the potential for caudal fin regeneration, such as tissue growth and the expression of regeneration marker genes (msxb, fgf20a, bmp2b), did not decline in comparison to zebrafish that received only one amputation surgery...
- Smith A, Avaron F, Guay D, Padhi B, Akimenko M. Inhibition of BMP signaling during zebrafish fin regeneration disrupts fin growth and scleroblasts differentiation and function. Dev Biol. 2006;299:438-54 pubmed..1) inhibition of regenerate outgrowth due to a decrease of blastema cell proliferation and downregulation of msxb and msxC expression and (2) reduced bone matrix deposition resulting from a defect in the maturation and function ..
- Fritz A, Rozowski M, Walker C, Westerfield M. Identification of selected gamma-ray induced deficiencies in zebrafish using multiplex polymerase chain reaction. Genetics. 1996;144:1735-45 pubmed..These deficiencies provide a basis for analyzing the functions of cloned zebrafish genes using noncomplementation screens for point mutations induced by high-efficiency chemical mutagenesis. ..
- Hui S, Nag T, Ghosh S. Characterization of Proliferating Neural Progenitors after Spinal Cord Injury in Adult Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0143595 pubmed publisher..Uncovering the molecular mechanism for endogenous regeneration of adult zebrafish spinal cord would give us more clues on important targets for future therapeutic approach in mammalian spinal cord repair and regeneration. ..
- Blum N, Begemann G. Retinoic acid signaling spatially restricts osteoblasts and controls ray-interray organization during zebrafish fin regeneration. Development. 2015;142:2888-93 pubmed publisher..Our findings uncover a mechanism regulating preosteoblast alignment and maintenance of ray-interray boundaries during fin regeneration. ..
- Makino S, Whitehead G, Lien C, Kim S, Jhawar P, Kono A, et al. Heat-shock protein 60 is required for blastema formation and maintenance during regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:14599-604 pubmed..These data indicate that hsp60 is required for the formation and maintenance of regenerating tissue. ..
- Cox S, Kim H, Garnett A, Medeiros D, An W, Crump J. An essential role of variant histone H3.3 for ectomesenchyme potential of the cranial neural crest. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002938 pubmed publisher..3 in the broad potential of the ectoderm-derived CNC, including the ability to make the mesoderm-like ectomesenchymal precursors of the head skeleton...
- Garcia Valtanen P, Ortega Villaizan M, Martínez López A, Medina Gali R, Perez L, MacKenzie S, et al. Autophagy-inducing peptides from mammalian VSV and fish VHSV rhabdoviral G glycoproteins (G) as models for the development of new therapeutic molecules. Autophagy. 2014;10:1666-80 pubmed publisher..Altogether these results suggest that strategies aimed at modulating autophagy could be used for the prevention and treatment of rhabdoviral infections such as rabies, which causes thousands of human deaths every year. ..
- Bayliss P, Bellavance K, Whitehead G, Abrams J, Aegerter S, Robbins H, et al. Chemical modulation of receptor signaling inhibits regenerative angiogenesis in adult zebrafish. Nat Chem Biol. 2006;2:265-73 pubmed..This study illustrates the utility of the adult zebrafish as a new model system for receptor signaling and chemical biology. ..
- Wagner D, Mullins M. Modulation of BMP activity in dorsal-ventral pattern formation by the chordin and ogon antagonists. Dev Biol. 2002;245:109-23 pubmed..As has been proposed for the fly orthologue of chordin, short gastrulation, our paradoxical results can be explained by a model whereby Chordin both antagonizes and promotes BMP activity. ..
- Shih H, Hsu S, Ouyang P, Lin S, Chou T, Chiang M, et al. Bmp5 Regulates Neural Crest Cell Survival and Proliferation via Two Different Signaling Pathways. Stem Cells. 2017;35:1003-1014 pubmed publisher..Loss-of-function analysis showed that Bmp5 was required for cell survival and this response is mediated by the Smad-Msxb signaling cascade. However, the Bmp5-Smad-Msxb signaling pathway had no effect on cell proliferation...
- Geurtzen K, Knopf F, Wehner D, Huitema L, Schulte Merker S, Weidinger G. Mature osteoblasts dedifferentiate in response to traumatic bone injury in the zebrafish fin and skull. Development. 2014;141:2225-34 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a fundamental role for osteoblast dedifferentiation in reparative bone formation in fish and indicate that adult fish osteoblasts display elevated cellular plasticity compared with mammalian bone-forming cells. ..
- Kubota Y, Oike Y, Satoh S, Tabata Y, Niikura Y, Morisada T, et al. Isolation and expression patterns of genes for three angiopoietin-like proteins, Angptl1, 2 and 6 in zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2005;5:679-85 pubmed..Zangptl6 is expressed in the notochord. In addition to its embryonic expression, Zangptl2 is induced in adult fish during fin regeneration. ..
- Tu C, Yang T, Huang H, Tsai H. Zebrafish arl6ip1 is required for neural crest development during embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32899 pubmed publisher..Although the embryonic expression pattern of ADP ribosylation factor-like 6 interacting protein 1 (Arl6ip1) has been reported, its function in neural crest development is unclear...
- Raya A, Koth C, Buscher D, Kawakami Y, Itoh T, Raya R, et al. Activation of Notch signaling pathway precedes heart regeneration in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100 Suppl 1:11889-95 pubmed..that adult zebrafish have a remarkable capacity to regenerate the heart in a process that involves up-regulation of msxB and msxC genes...
- Pfefferli C, Muller F, Jazwinska A, Wicky C. Specific NuRD components are required for fin regeneration in zebrafish. BMC Biol. 2014;12:30 pubmed publisher..These results provide in vivo evidence for the involvement of key epigenetic factors in the cellular reprogramming processes occurring during epimorphic regeneration in zebrafish. ..
- Oppedal D, Goldsmith M. A chemical screen to identify novel inhibitors of fin regeneration in zebrafish. Zebrafish. 2010;7:53-60 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that chemical screening is feasible in adult zebrafish and that it is a reasonable strategy to use for exploring the biology of regeneration. ..
- Dutta S, Dawid I. Kctd15 inhibits neural crest formation by attenuating Wnt/beta-catenin signaling output. Development. 2010;137:3013-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that Kctd15 inhibits NC formation by attenuating the output of the canonical Wnt pathway, thereby restricting expansion of the NC domain beyond its normal range...
- Tornini V, Puliafito A, Slota L, Thompson J, Nachtrab G, Kaushik A, et al. Live Monitoring of Blastemal Cell Contributions during Appendage Regeneration. Curr Biol. 2016;26:2981-2991 pubmed publisher..Our longitudinal clonal analyses of regenerating zebrafish fins provide evidence that connective tissue progenitors are rapidly organized into a scalable blueprint of lost structures. ..
- Connors S, Tucker J, Mullins M. Temporal and spatial action of tolloid (mini fin) and chordin to pattern tail tissues. Dev Biol. 2006;293:191-202 pubmed..Thus, fine modulation of BMP signaling levels through the negative and positive actions of Chordin and Tolloid, respectively, patterns tail tissues. ..
- Nguyen V, Trout J, Connors S, Andermann P, Weinberg E, Mullins M. Dorsal and intermediate neuronal cell types of the spinal cord are established by a BMP signaling pathway. Development. 2000;127:1209-20 pubmed
- Wu T, Wang Y, Song Y, Chen Z, Chen Y, Chiu C, et al. Fine-tune regulation of carboxypeptidase N1 controls vascular patterning during zebrafish development. Sci Rep. 2017;7:1852 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we demonstrate that cpn1 has a critical role in the vascular development of zebrafish. We also reveal a fine-tune regulation of cpn1 that controls vascular patterning mediated by multiple signals. ..
- Thorimbert V, KÃ¶nig D, Marro J, Ruggiero F, JaÅºwiÅ„ska A. Bone morphogenetic protein signaling promotes morphogenesis of blood vessels, wound epidermis, and actinotrichia during fin regeneration in zebrafish. FASEB J. 2015;29:4299-312 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a multifaceted role of BMP for coordinated morphogenesis of distinct tissues during regeneration of a complex vertebrate appendage. ..
- Qi H, Sarkissian M, Hu G, Wang Z, Bhattacharjee A, Gordon D, et al. Histone H4K20/H3K9 demethylase PHF8 regulates zebrafish brain and craniofacial development. Nature. 2010;466:503-7 pubmed publisher..and jaw development in part by directly regulating the expression of the homeodomain transcription factor MSX1/MSXB, which functions downstream of multiple signalling and developmental pathways...
- Bhadra J, Iovine M. Hsp47 mediates Cx43-dependent skeletal growth and patterning in the regenerating fin. Mech Dev. 2015;138 Pt 3:364-74 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we suggest that Hsp47 function is necessary for skeletal growth and patterning during fin regeneration. ..
- An M, Henion P. The zebrafish sf3b1b460 mutant reveals differential requirements for the sf3b1 pre-mRNA processing gene during neural crest development. Int J Dev Biol. 2012;56:223-37 pubmed publisher..Further, the developmental defects caused by the sf3b1(b460) mutation provide insights into genetic interactions among members of the gene regulatory network controlling neural crest development...
- Connors S, Trout J, Ekker M, Mullins M. The role of tolloid/mini fin in dorsoventral pattern formation of the zebrafish embryo. Development. 1999;126:3119-30 pubmed..This extracellular mechanism is amplified by an autoregulatory loop for bmp gene expression. ..
- Hatta K, Takahashi Y. Secondary axis induction by heterospecific organizers in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 1996;205:183-95 pubmed..Enlarged neural plate induced by the organizer was shown by the expression pattern of dlx3 and msxB genes, which demarcates the early presumptive neural tissue...
- Miyake A, Itoh N. Fgf22 regulated by Fgf3/Fgf8 signaling is required for zebrafish midbrain development. Biol Open. 2013;2:515-24 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, fgf22 partially rescued the fgf3/fgf8 double morphant phenotype. The present results indicate Fgf22 to be involved in midbrain development downstream of Fgf3 and Fgf8 in the MHB but not of Hh in the floor plate. ..
- Gauron C, Rampon C, Bouzaffour M, Ipendey E, Teillon J, Volovitch M, et al. Sustained production of ROS triggers compensatory proliferation and is required for regeneration to proceed. Sci Rep. 2013;3:2084 pubmed publisher..These results implicate oxidative stress in regeneration and provide new insights into the differences between healing and regeneration. ..
- Murciano C, Fernandez T, Duran I, Maseda D, Ruiz Sanchez J, Becerra J, et al. Ray-interray interactions during fin regeneration of Danio rerio. Dev Biol. 2002;252:214-24 pubmed
- Cheesman S, Eisen J. gsh1 demarcates hypothalamus and intermediate spinal cord in zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;5:107-12 pubmed..These data suggest gsh1 may play a role in patterning cell types generated in these domains. ..
- Sharif F, Steenbergen P, Metz J, Champagne D. Long-lasting effects of dexamethasone on immune cells and wound healing in the zebrafish. Wound Repair Regen. 2015;23:855-65 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the current findings support the use of the larval zebrafish model to study the impact of stress and stress hormone exposure in immature organisms on health risks in later life. ..
- Li W, Cornell R. Redundant activities of Tfap2a and Tfap2c are required for neural crest induction and development of other non-neural ectoderm derivatives in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;304:338-54 pubmed
- Mateus R, LourenÃ§o R, Fang Y, Brito G, Farinho A, ValÃ©rio F, et al. Control of tissue growth by Yap relies on cell density and F-actin in zebrafish fin regeneration. Development. 2015;142:2752-63 pubmed publisher..We propose that Yap is essential for fin regeneration and that its function is dependent on mechanical tension, conferred by a balancing act of cell density and cytoskeleton activity. ..
- Rojas Muñoz A, Rajadhyksha S, Gilmour D, van Bebber F, Antos C, Rodriguez Esteban C, et al. ErbB2 and ErbB3 regulate amputation-induced proliferation and migration during vertebrate regeneration. Dev Biol. 2009;327:177-90 pubmed publisher..components of a permissive switch for migration and proliferation continuously acting across the amputated fin from early stages of vertebrate regeneration onwards that regulate the expression of the transcription factors lef1 and msxB.
- Esteves F, Springhorn A, Kague E, Taylor E, Pyrowolakis G, Fisher S, et al. BMPs regulate msx gene expression in the dorsal neuroectoderm of Drosophila and vertebrates by distinct mechanisms. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004625 pubmed publisher..cis-regulatory modules (CRMs) that control localized expression of the Drosophila msh and zebrafish (Danio rerio) msxB in the dorsal central nervous system (CNS)...
- Heude E, Shaikho S, Ekker M. The dlx5a/dlx6a genes play essential roles in the early development of zebrafish median fin and pectoral structures. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e98505 pubmed publisher..Our results refocus arguments on the mechanistic basis of paired appendage genesis during vertebrate evolution. ..
- Kawakami A, Nojima Y, Toyoda A, Takahoko M, Satoh M, Tanaka H, et al. The zebrafish-secreted matrix protein you/scube2 is implicated in long-range regulation of hedgehog signaling. Curr Biol. 2005;15:480-8 pubmed..We further show that Bmp activity can be attenuated by the coexpression of Scube2. Our data support the idea that Scube2 can modulate the long-range action of Bmp-dependent signaling in the neural tube and somites. ..
- Thorpe C, Weidinger G, Moon R. Wnt/beta-catenin regulation of the Sp1-related transcription factor sp5l promotes tail development in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:1763-72 pubmed..These data place sp5l downstream of wnt3a and wnt8 in a Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway that controls tail development in zebrafish. ..
- Wills A, Kidd A, Lepilina A, Poss K. Fgfs control homeostatic regeneration in adult zebrafish fins. Development. 2008;135:3063-70 pubmed publisher..Our experiments reveal that the facultative machinery that regenerates amputated teleost fins also has a surprisingly vigorous role in homeostatic regeneration. ..
- Pfefferli C, Jazwinska A. The careg element reveals a common regulation of regeneration in the zebrafish myocardium and fin. Nat Commun. 2017;8:15151 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide evidence of a common regenerative programme in cardiomyocytes and mesenchyme that opens the possibility to further explore conserved mechanisms of the cellular plasticity in diverse vertebrate organs. ..
- Ragland J, Raible D. Signals derived from the underlying mesoderm are dispensable for zebrafish neural crest induction. Dev Biol. 2004;276:16-30 pubmed
- Schmid B, Fürthauer M, Connors S, Trout J, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Equivalent genetic roles for bmp7/snailhouse and bmp2b/swirl in dorsoventral pattern formation. Development. 2000;127:957-67 pubmed