Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mpx
Description: myeloid-specific peroxidase
Alias: drf, fj80f04, mpo, wu:fj80f04, eosinophil peroxidase, myeloperoxidase, unm t30963, unm_sm681, unm_t30963
- North T, Goessling W, Walkley C, Lengerke C, Kopani K, Lord A, et al. Prostaglandin E2 regulates vertebrate haematopoietic stem cell homeostasis. Nature. 2007;447:1007-11 pubmed..The conserved role for PGE2 in the regulation of vertebrate HSC homeostasis indicates that modulation of the prostaglandin pathway may facilitate expansion of HSC number for therapeutic purposes. ..
- North T, Goessling W, Peeters M, Li P, Ceol C, Lord A, et al. Hematopoietic stem cell development is dependent on blood flow. Cell. 2009;137:736-48 pubmed publisher..This work links blood flow to AGM hematopoiesis and identifies NO as a conserved downstream regulator of HSC development. ..
- Yoo S, Huttenlocher A. Spatiotemporal photolabeling of neutrophil trafficking during inflammation in live zebrafish. J Leukoc Biol. 2011;89:661-7 pubmed publisher..This work provides new insight into neutrophil behaviors during inflammation and resolution within a multicellular organism. ..
- Hall C, Flores M, Oehlers S, Sanderson L, Lam E, Crosier K, et al. Infection-responsive expansion of the hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell compartment in zebrafish is dependent upon inducible nitric oxide. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;10:198-209 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insights into the reactive capacity of HSPCs and how the blood system is "fine-tuned" in response to inflammatory stress. ..
- Oehlers S, Flores M, Hall C, Okuda K, Sison J, Crosier K, et al. Chemically induced intestinal damage models in zebrafish larvae. Zebrafish. 2013;10:184-93 pubmed publisher..Methods to monitor intestinal damage and inflammatory processes, and chemical-genetic methods to manipulate the host response to injury are also described. ..
- Rhodes J, Hagen A, Hsu K, Deng M, Liu T, Look A, et al. Interplay of pu.1 and gata1 determines myelo-erythroid progenitor cell fate in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2005;8:97-108 pubmed..1 in the bloodless mutant cloche resulted in myelopoietic rescue, providing intriguing evidence that this gene can function in the absence of some stem cell genes, such as scl, in governing myelopoiesis. ..
- Hsu K, Traver D, Kutok J, Hagen A, Liu T, Paw B, et al. The pu.1 promoter drives myeloid gene expression in zebrafish. Blood. 2004;104:1291-7 pubmed..These transgenic lines will be useful to dissect the cellular and molecular control of myeloid cell differentiation, and this promoter fragment may prove useful in the development of zebrafish models of acute myeloid leukemia. ..
- Kanther M, Tomkovich S, Xiaolun S, Grosser M, Koo J, Flynn E, et al. Commensal microbiota stimulate systemic neutrophil migration through induction of serum amyloid A. Cell Microbiol. 2014;16:1053-67 pubmed publisher..The presence of a microbiota resulted in increased neutrophil number and myeloperoxidase expression, and altered neutrophil localization and migratory behaviours...
- Provost E, Wehner K, Zhong X, Ashar F, Nguyen E, Green R, et al. Ribosomal biogenesis genes play an essential and p53-independent role in zebrafish pancreas development. Development. 2012;139:3232-41 pubmed publisher..The pancreatic phenotypes observed in rpl3- and pes-deficient embryos were also independent of p53. Together, these data suggest novel p53-independent roles for ribosomal biogenesis genes in zebrafish pancreas development...
- Imamura S, Uchiyama J, Koshimizu E, Hanai J, Raftopoulou C, Murphey R, et al. A non-canonical function of zebrafish telomerase reverse transcriptase is required for developmental hematopoiesis. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3364 pubmed publisher..The data also provide insights into a non-canonical pathway by which TERT functions to modulate specification of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells during vertebrate development. (276 words). ..
- Lam P, Harvie E, Huttenlocher A. Heat shock modulates neutrophil motility in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e84436 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that routine heat shock can alter neutrophil function in zebrafish. The findings suggest that caution should be taken when employing a heat shock-dependent inducible system to study the innate immune response. ..
- Meijer A, van der Sar A, Cunha C, Lamers G, Laplante M, Kikuta H, et al. Identification and real-time imaging of a myc-expressing neutrophil population involved in inflammation and mycobacterial granuloma formation in zebrafish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2008;32:36-49 pubmed..showing that lcp1 can be considered as a general leukocyte marker, csf1r as a macrophage-specific marker, and mpx and lyz as neutrophil-specific markers...
- Mathias J, Perrin B, Liu T, Kanki J, Look A, Huttenlocher A. Resolution of inflammation by retrograde chemotaxis of neutrophils in transgenic zebrafish. J Leukoc Biol. 2006;80:1281-8 pubmed..we have developed a novel transgenic zebrafish in which the neutrophils express GFP under control of the myeloperoxidase promoter (zMPO:GFP)...
- Ellett F, Pase L, Hayman J, Andrianopoulos A, Lieschke G. mpeg1 promoter transgenes direct macrophage-lineage expression in zebrafish. Blood. 2011;117:e49-56 pubmed publisher..These zebrafish transgenes provide a new resource that will contribute to the fields of inflammation, infection, and leukocyte biology. ..
- Wang X, Robertson A, Li J, Chai R, Haishan W, Sadiku P, et al. Inhibitors of neutrophil recruitment identified using transgenic zebrafish to screen a natural product library. Dis Model Mech. 2014;7:163-9 pubmed publisher..Here we describe the use of an in vivo model - the Tg(mpx:GFP)(i114) zebrafish line, in which neutrophils are labelled by green fluorescent protein (GFP) - to screen a ..
- Carney T, von der Hardt S, Sonntag C, Amsterdam A, Topczewski J, Hopkins N, et al. Inactivation of serine protease Matriptase1a by its inhibitor Hai1 is required for epithelial integrity of the zebrafish epidermis. Development. 2007;134:3461-71 pubmed..Our work provides direct genetic evidence for antagonistic in vivo roles of Hai1 and Matriptase1a to regulate skin homeostasis and remodeling. ..
- Berman J, Kanki J, Look A. Zebrafish as a model for myelopoiesis during embryogenesis. Exp Hematol. 2005;33:997-1006 pubmed..The conservation of genes such as scl, pu.1, c/ebpalpha, mpo, l-plastin, and lysozyme C in myelopoiesis and the corresponding expression patterns in zebrafish suggests that ..
- Le X, Langenau D, Keefe M, Kutok J, Neuberg D, Zon L. Heat shock-inducible Cre/Lox approaches to induce diverse types of tumors and hyperplasia in transgenic zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:9410-5 pubmed..Moreover, these tumors and hyperplasia closely resemble human diseases at both the morphologic and molecular levels. ..
- Hall C, Flores M, Storm T, Crosier K, Crosier P. The zebrafish lysozyme C promoter drives myeloid-specific expression in transgenic fish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:42 pubmed..These reporter lines will have utility in dissecting the genetic determinants of commitment to the myeloid lineage and in further defining how lysozyme-expressing cells participate during inflammation. ..
- Yoo S, Starnes T, Deng Q, Huttenlocher A. Lyn is a redox sensor that mediates leukocyte wound attraction in vivo. Nature. 2011;480:109-12 pubmed publisher..This is the first identification, to our knowledge, of a physiological redox sensor that mediates leukocyte wound attraction in multicellular organisms. ..
- Liu T, Rhodes J, Deng M, Hsu K, Radomska H, Kanki J, et al. Dominant-interfering C/EBPalpha stimulates primitive erythropoiesis in zebrafish. Exp Hematol. 2007;35:230-9 pubmed..Expression of the truncated isoforms of cebpa alters the developmental pattern of hematopoietic progenitor cells during embryogenesis. ..
- Zhou T, Wang L, Zhu K, Dong M, Xu P, Chen Y, et al. Dominant-negative C/ebp? and polycomb group protein Bmi1 extend short-lived hematopoietic stem/progenitor cell life span and induce lethal dyserythropoiesis. Blood. 2011;118:3842-52 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that Bmi1 acts immediately downstream of C/ebp?DN to regulate the survival and self-renewal of HSPCs and contribute to the erythropoietic dysplasia. ..
- Ignatius M, Chen E, Elpek N, Fuller A, Tenente I, Clagg R, et al. In vivo imaging of tumor-propagating cells, regional tumor heterogeneity, and dynamic cell movements in embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma. Cancer Cell. 2012;21:680-93 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that non-tumor-propagating cells likely have important supportive roles in cancer progression and facilitate metastasis. ..
- Soza Ried C, Hess I, Netuschil N, Schorpp M, Boehm T. Essential role of c-myb in definitive hematopoiesis is evolutionarily conserved. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:17304-8 pubmed publisher..Our results, therefore, suggest that the key role of c-myb in definitive hematopoiesis is similar to that in mammals and must have become established early in vertebrate evolution. ..
- Juarez M, Su F, Chun S, Kiel M, Lyons S. Distinct roles for SCL in erythroid specification and maturation in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:41636-44 pubmed..Our results revealed that Scl participates in multiple processes requiring different levels and functions. Further, we identified an Scl hypomorphic phenotype distinct from the null state. ..
- Stachura D, Svoboda O, Lau R, Balla K, Zon L, Bartunek P, et al. Clonal analysis of hematopoietic progenitor cells in the zebrafish. Blood. 2011;118:1274-82 pubmed publisher..Analysis of the gene-expression profiles after isolation of colonies marked by gata1:DsRed or mpx:eGFP transgenes confirmed our morphological erythroid and myeloid lineage designations, respectively...
- Oyarbide U, Rainieri S, Pardo M. Zebrafish (Danio rerio) larvae as a system to test the efficacy of polysaccharides as immunostimulants. Zebrafish. 2012;9:74-84 pubmed publisher..The most evident effects of ?-glucan were the overexpression of the genes TNF?, MPO, TRF, and LYZ...
- Oehlers S, Flores M, Chen T, Hall C, Crosier K, Crosier P. Topographical distribution of antimicrobial genes in the zebrafish intestine. Dev Comp Immunol. 2011;35:385-91 pubmed publisher..Expression of the zebrafish ?-defensin family was examined in adult zebrafish tissues. Strong expression of defensin beta-like 1 was detected in the swim bladder of zebrafish from the larval stage of development through to adults. ..
- Yoo S, Deng Q, Cavnar P, Wu Y, Hahn K, Huttenlocher A. Differential regulation of protrusion and polarity by PI3K during neutrophil motility in live zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2010;18:226-36 pubmed publisher..This work provides new insight into how cell signaling at the front and back of the cell is coordinated during polarized cell migration in intact tissues within a multicellular organism. ..
- Rhodes J, Amsterdam A, Sanda T, Moreau L, McKenna K, Heinrichs S, et al. Emi1 maintains genomic integrity during zebrafish embryogenesis and cooperates with p53 in tumor suppression. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:5911-22 pubmed publisher..Our results cast Emi1 as a critical regulator of genomic fidelity during embryogenesis and suggest that the factor may act as a tumor suppressor. ..
- Craven S, French D, Ye W, de Sauvage F, Rosenthal A. Loss of Hspa9b in zebrafish recapitulates the ineffective hematopoiesis of the myelodysplastic syndrome. Blood. 2005;105:3528-34 pubmed..Thus, we identify an essential role for Hspa9b in hematopoiesis and implicate both loss of HSPA9B specifically and mitochondrial dysfunction generally in the pathogenesis of the MDS. ..
- Uechi T, Nakajima Y, Chakraborty A, Torihara H, Higa S, Kenmochi N. Deficiency of ribosomal protein S19 during early embryogenesis leads to reduction of erythrocytes in a zebrafish model of Diamond-Blackfan anemia. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:3204-11 pubmed publisher..The RPS19-deficient zebrafish will provide a valuable tool for investigating the molecular mechanisms of DBA development in humans. ..
- Sumanas S, Gomez G, Zhao Y, Park C, Choi K, Lin S. Interplay among Etsrp/ER71, Scl, and Alk8 signaling controls endothelial and myeloid cell formation. Blood. 2008;111:4500-10 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that the choice of endothelial versus myeloid fate depends on a combinatorial effect of etsrp, scl, and alk8 genes. ..
- Clay H, Davis J, Beery D, Huttenlocher A, Lyons S, Ramakrishnan L. Dichotomous role of the macrophage in early Mycobacterium marinum infection of the zebrafish. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:29-39 pubmed..We propose that residence within macrophages represents an evolutionary trade-off for pathogenic mycobacteria that slows their early growth but provides a mechanism for tissue dissemination...
- Bennett C, Kanki J, Rhodes J, Liu T, Paw B, Kieran M, et al. Myelopoiesis in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Blood. 2001;98:643-51 pubmed..Zebrafish neutrophils resembled human neutrophils, possessing segmented nuclei and myeloperoxidase-positive cytoplasmic granules...
- Shen L, Chen F, Zhang Y, Cao L, Kuang Y, Zhong M, et al. MYCN transgenic zebrafish model with the characterization of acute myeloid leukemia and altered hematopoiesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59070 pubmed publisher..1, mpo expression...
- Shiau C, Monk K, Joo W, Talbot W. An anti-inflammatory NOD-like receptor is required for microglia development. Cell Rep. 2013;5:1342-52 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate that NLRC3-like prevents inappropriate macrophage activation, thereby allowing normal microglial development. ..
- Hogan B, Layton J, Pyati U, Nutt S, Hayman J, Varma S, et al. Specification of the primitive myeloid precursor pool requires signaling through Alk8 in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2006;16:506-11 pubmed..1 expression, but the role of alk8 was independent of the scl-dependent cell-fate pathway. Furthermore, the role of Alk8 in myelopoiesis was genetically separable from its earlier role in dorsal-ventral embryonic patterning. ..
- Renshaw S, Loynes C, Trushell D, Elworthy S, Ingham P, Whyte M. A transgenic zebrafish model of neutrophilic inflammation. Blood. 2006;108:3976-8 pubmed..response by generating a transgenic zebrafish line that expresses GFP under the neutrophil-specific myeloperoxidase promoter...
- Yeh J, Munson K, Chao Y, Peterson Q, Macrae C, Peterson R. AML1-ETO reprograms hematopoietic cell fate by downregulating scl expression. Development. 2008;135:401-10 pubmed..Thus, this zebrafish model facilitates in vivo dissection of AML1-ETO-mediated signaling, and will enable large-scale chemical screens to identify suppressors of the in vivo effects of AML1-ETO. ..
- Pase L, Layton J, Wittmann C, Ellett F, Nowell C, Reyes Aldasoro C, et al. Neutrophil-delivered myeloperoxidase dampens the hydrogen peroxide burst after tissue wounding in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2012;22:1818-24 pubmed publisher..Neutrophils carry abundant amounts of myeloperoxidase, an enzyme catalyzing an H(2)O(2)-consuming reaction [7, 8]...
- Burns C, Traver D, Mayhall E, Shepard J, Zon L. Hematopoietic stem cell fate is established by the Notch-Runx pathway. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2331-42 pubmed..These data define the Notch-Runx pathway as critical for the developmental specification of HSC fate and the subsequent homeostasis of HSC number, thus providing a mechanism for amplifying stem cells in vivo...
- Taylor A, Humphries J, White R, Murphey R, BURNS C, Zon L. Hematopoietic defects in rps29 mutant zebrafish depend upon p53 activation. Exp Hematol. 2012;40:228-237.e5 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies demonstrate a role of p53 in mediating the cellular defects associated with rps29 and establish a role for rps29 and p53 in hematopoietic stem cells and red blood cell development. ..
- Kanther M, Sun X, Muhlbauer M, Mackey L, Flynn E, Bagnat M, et al. Microbial colonization induces dynamic temporal and spatial patterns of NF-?B activation in the zebrafish digestive tract. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:197-207 pubmed publisher..The observed patterns of NF-?B-dependent responses to microbial colonization indicate that cells in the gastrointestinal tract respond robustly to the microbial environment. ..
- Bertrand J, Kim A, Violette E, Stachura D, Cisson J, Traver D. Definitive hematopoiesis initiates through a committed erythromyeloid progenitor in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2007;134:4147-56 pubmed..These studies provide phenotypic and functional analyses of the first hematopoietic progenitors in the zebrafish embryo and demonstrate that definitive hematopoiesis proceeds through two distinct waves during embryonic development. ..
- Le H, Zhang Y, Liu H, Ma L, Jin Y, Huang Q, et al. eena Promotes myeloid proliferation through stimulating ERK1/2 phosphorylation in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:17652-61 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that eena plays an important role in the development of the myeloid cell through activation of the ERK pathway and may provide a valuable reference for future studies of the role of EEN in leukemogenesis. ..
- Lieschke G, Oates A, Crowhurst M, Ward A, Layton J. Morphologic and functional characterization of granulocytes and macrophages in embryonic and adult zebrafish. Blood. 2001;98:3087-96 pubmed..Embryonic zebrafish have circulating immature heterophils by 48 hours after fertilization (hpf). A zebrafish myeloperoxidase homologue (myeloid-specific peroxidase; mpx) was isolated...