Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mixl1
Description: Mix paired-like homeobox
Alias: bon, bon/mixer, mix, mix-like, homeobox protein MIXL1, bonnie and clyde, mixer
- Bjornson C, Griffin K, Farr G, Terashima A, Himeda C, Kikuchi Y, et al. Eomesodermin is a localized maternal determinant required for endoderm induction in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2005;9:523-33 pubmed..Whereas the transcription factors Gata5 and Bon are necessary and sufficient for cas expression in marginal blastomeres, Bon and Gata5 are unable to induce cas in ..
- Slagle C, Aoki T, Burdine R. Nodal-dependent mesendoderm specification requires the combinatorial activities of FoxH1 and Eomesodermin. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002072 pubmed publisher..Our findings also offer novel insights into the co-evolution of the Nodal signaling pathway, the notochord specification program, and the chordate branch of the deuterostome family of animals. ..
- Lunde K, Belting H, Driever W. Zebrafish pou5f1/pou2, homolog of mammalian Oct4, functions in the endoderm specification cascade. Curr Biol. 2004;14:48-55 pubmed..We propose that pou5f1 plays an activating role in zebrafish endodermal development, where it maintains sox32 expression during gastrulation and acts with sox32 to induce sox17 expression in endodermal precursor cells. ..
- Reim G, Mizoguchi T, Stainier D, Kikuchi Y, Brand M. The POU domain protein spg (pou2/Oct4) is essential for endoderm formation in cooperation with the HMG domain protein casanova. Dev Cell. 2004;6:91-101 pubmed..The joint control of endoderm formation by spg and cas suggests that the endodermal germlayer may be a tissue unit with distinct genetic control, thus adding genetic support to the germlayer concept in metazoan development. ..
- Ober E, Olofsson B, Makinen T, Jin S, Shoji W, Koh G, et al. Vegfc is required for vascular development and endoderm morphogenesis in zebrafish. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:78-84 pubmed
- Du S, Draper B, Mione M, Moens C, Bruce A. Differential regulation of epiboly initiation and progression by zebrafish Eomesodermin A. Dev Biol. 2012;362:11-23 pubmed publisher..We also show that Eomesa is required for normal expression of the endoderm markers sox32, bon and og9x; however it is not essential for endoderm formation.
- Kunwar P, Zimmerman S, Bennett J, Chen Y, Whitman M, Schier A. Mixer/Bon and FoxH1/Sur have overlapping and divergent roles in Nodal signaling and mesendoderm induction. Development. 2003;130:5589-99 pubmed..Here, we analyze whether zebrafish proteins related to FoxH1 [Schmalspur (Sur)] and Mixer [Bonnie and clyde (Bon)] act within or downstream of the Nodal signaling pathway, test whether these two factors have additive ..
- Kim H, Lee M, Jeong Y, Ro H, Kim D, Shin Y, et al. Ottogi Inhibits Wnt/?-catenin Signaling by Regulating Cell Membrane Trafficking of Frizzled8. Sci Rep. 2017;7:13278 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that OTG functions as a novel negative regulator of Wnt signaling during development by the modulation of cell surface expression of Fz receptor. ..
- Tallafuss A, Adolf B, Bally Cuif L. Selective control of neuronal cluster size at the forebrain/midbrain boundary by signaling from the prechordal plate. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:524-35 pubmed..independently of neural tube patterning: we demonstrate that the prechordal plate (PCP) is impaired in mixer/bonnie and clyde mutants and that this phenotype secondarily results in an increased production of six3-positive cells at the ..
- Yelon D. Cardiac patterning and morphogenesis in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2001;222:552-63 pubmed..at least six genes that are essential for cardiac fusion and heart tube assembly, including casanova, bonnie and clyde, gata5, one-eyed pinhead, hand2, miles apart, and heart and soul...
- Mizoguchi T, Izawa T, Kuroiwa A, Kikuchi Y. Fgf signaling negatively regulates Nodal-dependent endoderm induction in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;300:612-22 pubmed..Three transcription factors downstream of Nodal, Bonnie and Clyde (Bon), Faust (Fau)/Gata5 and Casanova (Cas), are required for endoderm induction...
- Carreira Barbosa F, Kajita M, Kajita M, Morel V, Wada H, Okamoto H, et al. Flamingo regulates epiboly and convergence/extension movements through cell cohesive and signalling functions during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2009;136:383-92 pubmed publisher..Fmi/Celsr therefore has a dual role in mediating two separate morphogenetic movements through its roles in mediating cell cohesion and Wnt/PCP signalling during zebrafish gastrulation. ..
- Cheng P, Lin C, Wu C, Lu Y, Lin C, Chung C, et al. Zebrafish cdx1b regulates expression of downstream factors of Nodal signaling during early endoderm formation. Development. 2008;135:941-52 pubmed publisher..This study underscores a novel role of zebrafish cdx1b in the development of different digestive organs compared with its mammalian homologs. ..
- Pereira L, Wong M, Mei Lim S, Stanley E, Elefanty A. The Mix family of homeobox genes--key regulators of mesendoderm formation during vertebrate development. Dev Biol. 2012;367:163-77 pubmed publisherThe Mix/Bix family of paired-like homeobox genes encode evolutionarily conserved, sequence specific, DNA-binding transcription factors that have been implicated in the co-ordination of gene expression, axis formation and cell fate ..
- Sharma D, Holets L, Zhang X, Kinsey W. Role of Fyn kinase in signaling associated with epiboly during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2005;285:462-76 pubmed..Smoothing of the enveloping cell layer at the midblastula transition occurred normally and expression of bon/mixer and mezzo, zygotic transcription factors indicated that activation of the zygotic genome did occur...
- Kumari P, Gilligan P, Lim S, Tran L, Winkler S, Philp R, et al. An essential role for maternal control of Nodal signaling. elife. 2013;2:e00683 pubmed publisher..Thus, Ybx1 prevents ectopic Nodal activity, revealing a new paradigm in the regulation of Nodal signaling, which is likely to be conserved. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00683.001. ..
- Lin X, Rinaldo L, Fazly A, Xu X. Depletion of Med10 enhances Wnt and suppresses Nodal signaling during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;303:536-48 pubmed..Thus, Med10 appears to be a unique MED subunit that differentially transduces information from distinct signaling pathways during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Xu C, Fan Z, Muller P, Fogley R, DiBiase A, Trompouki E, et al. Nanog-like regulates endoderm formation through the Mxtx2-Nodal pathway. Dev Cell. 2012;22:625-38 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies a Nanog-like-Mxtx2-Nodal pathway and establishes a role for Nanog-like in regulating the formation of the extraembryonic tissue required for endoderm induction...
- Poulain M, Fürthauer M, Thisse B, Thisse C, Lepage T. Zebrafish endoderm formation is regulated by combinatorial Nodal, FGF and BMP signalling. Development. 2006;133:2189-200 pubmed..of the FGF receptor, we show that reducing FGF signalling partially rescues the deficit of endoderm precursors in bon mutant embryos...
- Terashima A, Mudumana S, Drummond I. Odd skipped related 1 is a negative feedback regulator of nodal-induced endoderm development. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1571-80 pubmed publisher..As such, we propose that osr1 represents a novel network motif controlling the output of Nodal signaling to regulate mesendoderm patterning. ..
- Veil M, Schaechtle M, Gao M, Kirner V, Buryanova L, Grethen R, et al. Maternal Nanog is required for zebrafish embryo architecture and for cell viability during gastrulation. Development. 2018;145: pubmed publisher..i> Our findings suggest that maternal Nanog coordinates several gene regulatory networks that shape the embryo during gastrulation. ..
- Liu X, Xiong C, Jia S, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Wang Q, et al. Araf kinase antagonizes Nodal-Smad2 activity in mesendoderm development by directly phosphorylating the Smad2 linker region. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1728 pubmed publisher..Our findings open avenues for investigating the potential significance of Raf regulation of transforming growth factor ? signalling in versatile biological and pathological processes in the future. ..
- Wilkins S, Yoong S, Verkade H, Mizoguchi T, Plowman S, Hancock J, et al. Mtx2 directs zebrafish morphogenetic movements during epiboly by regulating microfilament formation. Dev Biol. 2008;314:12-22 pubmed..However, the mechanism of Mtx2 action is unknown. The role of mtx2 is surprising as most mix/bix family genes are thought to have roles in mesendoderm specification...
- Rikin A, Evans T. The tbx/bHLH transcription factor mga regulates gata4 and organogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:535-47 pubmed publisher..Transcript profiling experiments show that mga functions early to influence key regulators of mesendoderm, including tbx6, cas, and sox17. ..
- Esguerra C, Nelles L, Vermeire L, Ibrahimi A, Crawford A, Derua R, et al. Ttrap is an essential modulator of Smad3-dependent Nodal signaling during zebrafish gastrulation and left-right axis determination. Development. 2007;134:4381-93 pubmed
- Londin E, Mentzer L, Sirotkin H. Churchill regulates cell movement and mesoderm specification by repressing Nodal signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:120 pubmed..These findings reveal a dynamic role for chch in regulating cell movement and fate during early development. ..
- Sesé B, Barrero M, Fabregat M, Sander V, Izpisua Belmonte J. SMYD2 is induced during cell differentiation and participates in early development. Int J Dev Biol. 2013;57:357-64 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that SMYD2 plays a critical role at early stages of development and in human ES cell differentiation. ..
- Taibi A, Mandavawala K, Noel J, Okoye E, Milano C, Martin B, et al. Zebrafish churchill regulates developmental gene expression and cell migration. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:614-21 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that chch is not essential for survival, but functions to modulate early mesendodermal gene expression and limit cell migration. ..
- Poulain M, Lepage T. Mezzo, a paired-like homeobox protein is an immediate target of Nodal signalling and regulates endoderm specification in zebrafish. Development. 2002;129:4901-14 pubmed..homeodomain of the Mix-like and Mixer homeoproteins, but Mezzo is distinct from Bon/Mixer, the product of the bonnie and clyde gene. Like bon/mixer, mezzo is expressed transiently in mesendoderm precursors...
- Maves L, Tyler A, Moens C, Tapscott S. Pbx acts with Hand2 in early myocardial differentiation. Dev Biol. 2009;333:409-18 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate new roles for Pbx proteins in vertebrate cardiac development and also provide new insight into connections between the transcriptional regulation of skeletal and cardiac muscle differentiation programs. ..
- Elsalini O, Rohr K. Phenylthiourea disrupts thyroid function in developing zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol. 2003;212:593-8 pubmed..At doses of 0.003% PTurea, however, toxic side effects seem to be at a minimum, and the maternal contribution of the hormone might compensate for compromised thyroid function during the first days of development. ..
- Reiter J, Kikuchi Y, Stainier D. Multiple roles for Gata5 in zebrafish endoderm formation. Development. 2001;128:125-35 pubmed..analyses, we show that Gata5 regulates endoderm formation in cooperation with the Mix-type transcription factor Bon, that Gata5 and Bon function downstream of Nodal signaling, and that cas function is usually required for the ..
- Kim H, Schleiffarth J, Jessurun J, Sumanas S, Petryk A, Lin S, et al. Wnt5 signaling in vertebrate pancreas development. BMC Biol. 2005;3:23 pubmed..This study opens the door for further investigation into a role of Wnt signaling in vertebrate organ development and disease. ..
- Anuppalle M, Maddirevula S, Huh T, Rhee M. Trb3 regulates LR axis formation in zebrafish embryos. Mol Cells. 2013;36:542-7 pubmed publisher..Over-expression of trb3 reduces the level of smurf1 transcripts, a member of TGF-signaling. We thus propose that Trb3 governs left-right (LR) axis patterning as a component of TGF-signaling in vertebrate embryonic development. ..
- Tsai W, Zhang X, Sharma D, Wu W, Kinsey W. Role of Yes kinase during early zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2005;277:129-41 pubmed..These results demonstrate that Yes kinase plays an important role in epiboly and indicate that Yes kinase participates in signaling by focal adhesion kinase during early development. ..