Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mc4r
Description: melanocortin 4 receptor
Alias: MC4-R, si:dkey-151m6.62, zMC4, melanocortin receptor 4
- Kobayashi Y, Tsuchiya K, Yamanome T, Schioth H, Kawauchi H, Takahashi A. Food deprivation increases the expression of melanocortin-4 receptor in the liver of barfin flounder, Verasper moseri. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2008;155:280-7 pubmed..The MC system has a role in both pigmentation and the regulation of energy homeostasis, in which MC4R, one of the five MC receptors, has a key role...
- Gupta A, Christensen R, Rayla A, Lakshmanan A, Stormo G, Wolfe S. An optimized two-finger archive for ZFN-mediated gene targeting. Nat Methods. 2012;9:588-90 pubmed publisher..Using this archive, we introduced lesions at 9 of 11 target sites in the zebrafish genome. ..
- Guillot R, CortÃ©s R, Navarro S, Mischitelli M, GarcÃa Herranz V, SÃ¡nchez E, et al. Behind melanocortin antagonist overexpression in the zebrafish brain: A behavioral and transcriptomic approach. Horm Behav. 2016;82:87-100 pubmed publisher..The information provided herein will help to elucidate new central systems involved in control of obesity and should be of invaluable use for sustaining fish production systems. ..
- Xie S, Bian W, Wang C, Junaid M, Zou J, Pei D. A novel technique based on in vitro oocyte injection to improve CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:34555 pubmed publisher..Due to high throughputs, simplicity and flexible design, this novel strategy will provide an efficient alternative to increase the speed of generating heritable mutants in zebrafish by using CRISPR/Cas9 system. ..
- Cortés R, Teles M, Oliveira M, Fierro Castro C, Tort L, Cerdá Reverter J. Effects of acute handling stress on short-term central expression of orexigenic/anorexigenic genes in zebrafish. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2018;44:257-272 pubmed publisher..By contrast, the anorexigenic precursors tested, i.e., cart peptides and pomc, exhibited increased expression after acute stress, suggesting their involvement in the anorexigenic effects. ..
- Kumar A, Bhandari A, Sinha R, Goyal P, Grapputo A. Spliceosomal intron insertions in genome compacted ray-finned fishes as evident from phylogeny of MC receptors, also supported by a few other GPCRs. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22046 pubmed publisher..In addition to repetitive elements, genome compaction is now believed to be a new hallmark that promotes intron insertions, as it requires rapid DNA breakage and subsequent repair processes to gain back normal functionality. ..
- Shimada Y, Hirano M, Nishimura Y, Tanaka T. A high-throughput fluorescence-based assay system for appetite-regulating gene and drug screening. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52549 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have developed an assay that uses zebrafish, which can be applied to high-throughput screening and target gene discovery for appetite suppressants and enhancers. ..
- Schioth H, Lagerström M, Watanobe H, Jonsson L, Vergoni A, Ringholm A, et al. Functional role, structure, and evolution of the melanocortin-4 receptor. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003;994:74-83 pubmed..The MC-4 receptor has been remarkably conserved in structure and pharmacology for more than 400 million years, implying that the receptor participated in vital physiological functions early in vertebrate evolution. ..
- Josep Agulleiro M, Cortés R, Fernández Durán B, Navarro S, Guillot R, Meimaridou E, et al. Melanocortin 4 receptor becomes an ACTH receptor by coexpression of melanocortin receptor accessory protein 2. Mol Endocrinol. 2013;27:1934-45 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we demonstrate that MRAP2a enables MC4R, a canonical MSH receptor, to be activated by ACTH with a similar sensitivity to that exhibited by MC2R...
- Wang H, Semenova S, Kuusela S, Panula P, Lehtonen S. Tankyrases regulate glucoregulatory mechanisms and somatic growth via the central melanocortin system in zebrafish larvae. FASEB J. 2015;29:4435-48 pubmed publisher..of TNKS1b suppressed the expression of melanocortin receptor 3 and increased the expression of melanocortin receptor 4. The collective data suggest that TNKS1b modulates glucoregulatory mechanisms and the somatic growth of ..
- Falcinelli S, Rodiles A, Unniappan S, Picchietti S, Gioacchini G, Merrifield D, et al. Probiotic treatment reduces appetite and glucose level in the zebrafish model. Sci Rep. 2016;6:18061 pubmed publisher..rhamnosus in the treatment of impaired glucose tolerance and food intake disorders by gut microbiota manipulation. ..
- Martella A, Silvestri C, Maradonna F, Gioacchini G, Allarà M, Radaelli G, et al. Bisphenol A Induces Fatty Liver by an Endocannabinoid-Mediated Positive Feedback Loop. Endocrinology. 2016;157:1751-63 pubmed publisher..We conclude that BPA is able to produce hepatosteatosis in zebrafish and human hepatocytes by up-regulating the endocannabinoid system. ..
- Sebag J, Zhang C, Hinkle P, Bradshaw A, Cone R. Developmental control of the melanocortin-4 receptor by MRAP2 proteins in zebrafish. Science. 2013;341:278-81 pubmed publisherThe melanocortin-4 receptor (MC4R) is essential for control of energy homeostasis in vertebrates. MC4R interacts with melanocortin receptor accessory protein 2 (MRAP2) in vitro, but its functions in vivo are unknown...
- Sánchez E, Rubio V, Thompson D, Metz J, Flik G, Millhauser G, et al. Phosphodiesterase inhibitor-dependent inverse agonism of agouti-related protein on melanocortin 4 receptor in sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;296:R1293-306 pubmed publisherThe melanocortin 4 receptor (MC4R) is a G protein-coupled receptor mainly expressed in the central nervous system of vertebrates...