Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mc1r
Description: melanocortin 1 receptor
Alias: melanocyte-stimulating hormone receptor, melanocortin 1 receptor protein
- Nesan D, Vijayan M. The transcriptomics of glucocorticoid receptor signaling in developing zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e80726 pubmed publisher..Together, this study underscores a critical role for glucocorticoid signaling in programming molecular events essential for zebrafish development. ..
- Kumar A, Bhandari A, Sinha R, Goyal P, Grapputo A. Spliceosomal intron insertions in genome compacted ray-finned fishes as evident from phylogeny of MC receptors, also supported by a few other GPCRs. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22046 pubmed publisher..In addition to repetitive elements, genome compaction is now believed to be a new hallmark that promotes intron insertions, as it requires rapid DNA breakage and subsequent repair processes to gain back normal functionality. ..
- Zhang C, Forlano P, Cone R. AgRP and POMC neurons are hypophysiotropic and coordinately regulate multiple endocrine axes in a larval teleost. Cell Metab. 2012;15:256-64 pubmed publisher..This identifies the mechanism by which the central melanocortin system coordinately regulates growth and reproduction in teleosts and suggests it is an important anatomical substrate for evolutionary adaptation. ..
- Cortés R, Agulleiro M, Navarro S, Guillot R, Sánchez E, Cerdá Reverter J. Melanocortin receptor accessory protein 2 (MRAP2) interplays with the zebrafish melanocortin 1 receptor (MC1R) but has no effect on its pharmacological profile. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2014;201:30-6 pubmed publisher..The MC1R fill the extension locus, which is primarily responsible for the regulation of pigmentation...
- Guillot R, Muriach B, Rocha A, Rotllant J, Kelsh R, Cerdá Reverter J. Thyroid Hormones Regulate Zebrafish Melanogenesis in a Gender-Specific Manner. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0166152 pubmed publisher..Thus, fish gender is now shown to be an important variable that should be controlled in future studies of fish melanogenesis. ..