Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mbpa
Description: myelin basic protein a
Alias: cb274, fj33b11, mbp, wu:fj33b11, wu:fq15b02, zgc:136630, myelin basic protein
- Brösamle C, Halpern M. Characterization of myelination in the developing zebrafish. Glia. 2002;39:47-57 pubmed..Expression of genes corresponding to proteolipid protein (PLP/DM20), myelin protein zero (P0), and myelin basic protein (MBP) is detected at 2 days postfertilization (dpf), first in the ventral hindbrain, close to the midline...
- Takada N, Kucenas S, Appel B. Sox10 is necessary for oligodendrocyte survival following axon wrapping. Glia. 2010;58:996-1006 pubmed publisher..We conclude that, in addition to promoting myelin gene expression, Sox10 function is necessary for the survival of myelinating oligodedrocytes subsequent to axon wrapping but is not required for the survival of nonmyelinating OPCs. ..
- Budi E, Patterson L, Parichy D. Post-embryonic nerve-associated precursors to adult pigment cells: genetic requirements and dynamics of morphogenesis and differentiation. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002044 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a foundation for future studies of post-embryonic pigment cell precursors in development, evolution, and neoplasia...
- Park H, Shin J, Roberts R, Appel B. An olig2 reporter gene marks oligodendrocyte precursors in the postembryonic spinal cord of zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3402-7 pubmed..olig2(+) radial glia have hallmarks of stem cells and their divisions appear to be asymmetric, producing new oligodendrocytes but not neurons or astrocytes. ..
- Carney T, Dutton K, Greenhill E, Delfino Machin M, Dufourcq P, Blader P, et al. A direct role for Sox10 in specification of neural crest-derived sensory neurons. Development. 2006;133:4619-30 pubmed..In conjunction with previous findings, these data establish the generality of our model of Sox10 function in NC fate specification. ..
- Montero Balaguer M, Lang M, Sachdev S, Knappmeyer C, Stewart R, De La Guardia A, et al. The mother superior mutation ablates foxd3 activity in neural crest progenitor cells and depletes neural crest derivatives in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3199-212 pubmed..Further analysis of mosm188 mutants and foxd3 morphants revealed that NC cells are initially formed, suggesting that foxd3 function is required to maintain the pool of NC progenitors. ..
- Binari L, Lewis G, Kucenas S. Perineurial glia require Notch signaling during motor nerve development but not regeneration. J Neurosci. 2013;33:4241-52 pubmed publisher..These studies describe a novel mechanism that mediates multiple aspects of perineurial development and reveal the critical importance of perineurial glia for Schwann cell maturation and nerve formation. ..
- Pogoda H, Sternheim N, Lyons D, Diamond B, Hawkins T, Woods I, et al. A genetic screen identifies genes essential for development of myelinated axons in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;298:118-31 pubmed..The analysis of these mutations will advance our understanding of myelination, and the mutants will serve as models of human diseases of myelin. ..
- Kazakova N, Li H, Mora A, Jessen K, Mirsky R, Richardson W, et al. A screen for mutations in zebrafish that affect myelin gene expression in Schwann cells and oligodendrocytes. Dev Biol. 2006;297:1-13 pubmed..We screened for myelin basic protein (mbp) mRNA by in situ hybridization and identified four mutants (neckless, motionless, iguana and doc) that ..
- Lister J, Cooper C, Nguyen K, Modrell M, Grant K, Raible D. Zebrafish Foxd3 is required for development of a subset of neural crest derivatives. Dev Biol. 2006;290:92-104 pubmed
- Nawaz S, Schweitzer J, Jahn O, Werner H. Molecular evolution of myelin basic protein, an abundant structural myelin component. Glia. 2013;61:1364-77 pubmed..We aim to understand the coevolution of myelin and the major myelin proteins. We found that myelin basic protein (MBP) derived from living cartilaginous fish (sharks and rays) associated with the plasma membrane of glial ..
- Grant K, Raible D, Piotrowski T. Regulation of latent sensory hair cell precursors by glia in the zebrafish lateral line. Neuron. 2005;45:69-80 pubmed..Transplantation of wt glia into mutants rescues the appropriate temporal differentiation of interneuromast cells. Our studies reveal a role for glia in regulating sensory hair cell precursors. ..
- Czopka T, Ffrench Constant C, Lyons D. Individual oligodendrocytes have only a few hours in which to generate new myelin sheaths in vivo. Dev Cell. 2013;25:599-609 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate a restricted time window relative to the lifetime of the individual oligodendrocyte, during which myelin sheath formation occurs and the number of sheaths is determined. ..
- Perlin J, Lush M, Stephens W, Piotrowski T, Talbot W. Neuronal Neuregulin 1 type III directs Schwann cell migration. Development. 2011;138:4639-48 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Nrg1 type III is an essential signal that controls Schwann cell migration to ensure that these glia are present in the correct numbers and positions in developing nerves. ..
- Jung S, Kim S, Chung A, Kim H, So J, Ryu J, et al. Visualization of myelination in GFP-transgenic zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:592-7 pubmed publisher..we generated transgenic zebrafish expressing enhanced green fluorescent protein (EGFP) under the control of the mbp promoter...
- McGraw H, Nechiporuk A, Raible D. Zebrafish dorsal root ganglia neural precursor cells adopt a glial fate in the absence of neurogenin1. J Neurosci. 2008;28:12558-69 pubmed publisher..Neurog1 acts as the key factor in this lineage to direct the formation of sensory neurons. ..
- Dufourcq P, Roussigne M, Blader P, Rosa F, Peyrieras N, Vriz S. Mechano-sensory organ regeneration in adults: the zebrafish lateral line as a model. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2006;33:180-7 pubmed..Altogether, our observations indicate that caudal lateral line regeneration is not a mere recapitulation of the ontogenic process. ..
- Kearns C, Ravanelli A, Cooper K, Appel B. Fbxw7 Limits Myelination by Inhibiting mTOR Signaling. J Neurosci. 2015;35:14861-71 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Fbxw7 helps tune the amount of myelin produced during development and raise the possibility that Fbxw7 could be a target of myelin-promoting therapies. ..
- Delfino Machin M, Madelaine R, Busolin G, Nikaido M, Colanesi S, Camargo Sosa K, et al. Sox10 contributes to the balance of fate choice in dorsal root ganglion progenitors. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0172947 pubmed publisher..Sox10 is thus a key transcription factor in achieving the balance of sensory neuronal and glial fates. ..
- Takada N, Appel B. swap70 promotes neural precursor cell cycle exit and oligodendrocyte formation. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2011;48:225-35 pubmed publisher..Cells associated with neural proliferative zones express swap70. Therefore, our data reveal a potential new role for Swap70 in regulating transition of dividing neural precursors to specified OPCs. ..
- Simmons T, Appel B. Mutation of pescadillo disrupts oligodendrocyte formation in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32317 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence that neural precursors require pes function to progress through the cell cycle and produce oligodendrocyte progenitor cells and for oligodendrocyte differentiation. ..
- Moore A, Mark T, Hogan A, Topczewski J, LeClair E. Peripheral axons of the adult zebrafish maxillary barbel extensively remyelinate during sensory appendage regeneration. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:4184-203 pubmed publisher..Transcripts of myelin basic protein (mbp) are expressed in normal and regenerating adult barbels, indicating activity in both maintenance and ..
- Shin J, Padmanabhan A, de Groh E, Lee J, Haidar S, Dahlberg S, et al. Zebrafish neurofibromatosis type 1 genes have redundant functions in tumorigenesis and embryonic development. Dis Model Mech. 2012;5:881-94 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings support a role for nf1a and nf1b as potent tumor suppressor genes that also function in the development of both central and peripheral glial cells as well as melanophores in zebrafish. ..
- Pruvot B, Curé Y, Djiotsa J, Voncken A, Muller M. Developmental defects in zebrafish for classification of EGF pathway inhibitors. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2014;274:339-49 pubmed publisher..occurrence of defects in cartilage formation, disturbance of blood flow in the trunk and a decrease of myelin basic protein expression represent good indicators for impairment of Egf signaling...
- Laquerriere A, Maluenda J, Camus A, Fontenas L, Dieterich K, Nolent F, et al. Mutations in CNTNAP1 and ADCY6 are responsible for severe arthrogryposis multiplex congenita with axoglial defects. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:2279-89 pubmed publisher..Mutations of genes encoding proteins of Ranvier domains or involved in myelination of Schwann cells are responsible for novel and severe human axoglial diseases. ..
- Wang Q, Lam J, Man Y, Lai N, Kwok K, Guo Y, et al. Bioconcentration, metabolism and neurotoxicity of the organophorous flame retardant 1,3-dichloro 2-propyl phosphate (TDCPP) to zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;158:108-15 pubmed publisher..g., myelin basic protein, Î±1-tubulin) in any exposure group...
- Shen K, Sidik H, Talbot W. The Rag-Ragulator Complex Regulates Lysosome Function and Phagocytic Flux in Microglia. Cell Rep. 2016;14:547-559 pubmed publisher..Our analysis reveals an essential role of the Rag-Ragulator complex in proper lysosome function and phagocytic flux in microglia. ..
- Pinzon Olejua A, Welte C, Chekuru A, Bosak V, Brand M, Hans S, et al. Cre-inducible site-specific recombination in zebrafish oligodendrocytes. Dev Dyn. 2017;246:41-49 pubmed publisher..Zebrafish line, which expresses an mCherry-tagged variant of CreERT2 under the control of the myelin basic protein a (mbpa) promoter...
- Chen L, Yu K, Huang C, Yu L, Zhu B, Lam P, et al. Prenatal transfer of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) results in developmental neurotoxicity in zebrafish larvae. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:9727-34 pubmed publisher..Genes of central nervous system development (e.g., myelin basic protein, synapsin IIa, ?1-tubulin) were significantly downregulated in larvae...
- Smolen G, Schott B, Stewart R, Diederichs S, Muir B, Provencher H, et al. A Rap GTPase interactor, RADIL, mediates migration of neural crest precursors. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2131-6 pubmed..We specifically show that these defects are primarily due to the diminished migratory capacity of NC cells. The identification of RADIL as a regulator of NC migration defines a role for the Rap pathway in this process. ..
- White R, Cech J, Ratanasirintrawoot S, Lin C, Rahl P, Burke C, et al. DHODH modulates transcriptional elongation in the neural crest and melanoma. Nature. 2011;471:518-22 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies highlight developmental pathways in neural crest cells that have a direct bearing on melanoma formation. ..
- Tawk M, Makoukji J, Belle M, Fonte C, Trousson A, Hawkins T, et al. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is an essential and direct driver of myelin gene expression and myelinogenesis. J Neurosci. 2011;31:3729-42 pubmed publisher..The present findings attribute to Wnt/?-catenin pathway components an essential role in myelin gene expression and myelinogenesis. ..
- Takada N, Appel B. Identification of genes expressed by zebrafish oligodendrocytes using a differential microarray screen. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2041-7 pubmed publisher..The predicted functions raise the possibility that these genes are involved in multiple cellular events during oligodendrocyte differentiation and myelin formation. ..
- Zhu B, Wang Q, Shi X, Guo Y, Xu T, Zhou B. Effect of combined exposure to lead and decabromodiphenyl ether on neurodevelopment of zebrafish larvae. Chemosphere. 2016;144:1646-54 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that BDE-209 and Pb have a synergistic disruptive effect on neurodevelopment in zebrafish larvae by enhanced generation of ROS, which is a major factor that contributes to developmental neurotoxicity. ..
- Zhao S, Cui W, Cao J, Luo C, Fan L, Li M. Impact of maternal nicotine exposure on expression of myelin-related genes in zebrafish larvae. Zebrafish. 2014;11:10-6 pubmed publisher..Prepregnancy nicotine exposure altered myelin gene expression in the offspring, implying that maternal smoking before pregnancy affects the next generation. ..
- Piloto S, Schilling T. Ovo1 links Wnt signaling with N-cadherin localization during neural crest migration. Development. 2010;137:1981-90 pubmed publisher..Similar processes probably occur in other cell types in which Wnt signaling promotes migration. ..
- Bae Y, Kani S, Shimizu T, Tanabe K, Nojima H, Kimura Y, et al. Anatomy of zebrafish cerebellum and screen for mutations affecting its development. Dev Biol. 2009;330:406-26 pubmed publisher..Our data provide a platform for future studies of zebrafish cerebellar development. ..
- Langworthy M, Appel B. Schwann cell myelination requires Dynein function. Neural Dev. 2012;7:37 pubmed publisher..Genetic mosaic experiments revealed that robust Myelin Basic Protein expression required Dync1h1 function within both Schwann cells and axons...
- Chung A, Kim P, Kim S, Kim E, Kim D, Jeong I, et al. Generation of demyelination models by targeted ablation of oligodendrocytes in the zebrafish CNS. Mol Cells. 2013;36:82-7 pubmed publisher..into a cytotoxic DNA cross-linking agent, is expressed in oligodendrocyte lineage cells under the control of the mbp and sox10 promoter...
- Strachan L, Stevenson T, Freshner B, Keefe M, Miranda Bowles D, Bonkowsky J. A zebrafish model of X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy recapitulates key disease features and demonstrates a developmental requirement for abcd1 in oligodendrocyte patterning and myelination. Hum Mol Genet. 2017;26:3600-3614 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have established a zebrafish model of ALD that recapitulates key features of human disease pathology and which reveals novel features of underlying disease pathogenesis. ..
- Chen Q, Yin D, Jia Y, Schiwy S, Legradi J, Yang S, et al. Enhanced uptake of BPA in the presence of nanoplastics can lead to neurotoxic effects in adult zebrafish. Sci Total Environ. 2017;609:1312-1321 pubmed publisher..It was found that either BPA or NPPs can cause myelin basic protein (MBP)/gene up-regulation in the central nervous system (CNS); meanwhile, both contaminants exhibited ..
- Tingaud Sequeira A, RaldÃºa D, Lavie J, Mathieu G, Bordier M, Knoll Gellida A, et al. Functional validation of ABHD12 mutations in the neurodegenerative disease PHARC. Neurobiol Dis. 2017;98:36-51 pubmed publisher..High abhd12 transcript levels were found in the optic tectum and tract, colocalized with myelin basic protein, and in the spinal cord...
- Hrubik J, Glisic B, Samardzija D, Stanic B, Pogrmic Majkic K, Fa S, et al. Effect of PMA-induced protein kinase C activation on development and apoptosis in early zebrafish embryos. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;190:24-31 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that direct over-activation of Pkc during early embryogenesis of zebrafish is associated with apoptosis and decreased survival rate of the embryos. ..
- Koudelka S, Voas M, Almeida R, Baraban M, Soetaert J, Meyer M, et al. Individual Neuronal Subtypes Exhibit Diversity in CNS Myelination Mediated by Synaptic Vesicle Release. Curr Biol. 2016;26:1447-55 pubmed publisher..These data have implications for our understanding of how different neurons regulate myelination and thus their own function within specific neuronal circuits. ..
- Norton W, Mangoli M, Lele Z, Pogoda H, Diamond B, Mercurio S, et al. Monorail/Foxa2 regulates floorplate differentiation and specification of oligodendrocytes, serotonergic raphé neurones and cranial motoneurones. Development. 2005;132:645-58 pubmed
- Mensch S, Baraban M, Almeida R, Czopka T, Ausborn J, El Manira A, et al. Synaptic vesicle release regulates myelin sheath number of individual oligodendrocytes in vivo. Nat Neurosci. 2015;18:628-30 pubmed publisher..We also found that stimulating neuronal activity increased myelin sheath formation by individual oligodendrocytes. These data indicate that neuronal activity regulates the myelinating capacity of single oligodendrocytes. ..
- Xu H, Shao X, Zhang Z, Zou Y, Chen Y, Han S, et al. Effects of di-n-butyl phthalate and diethyl phthalate on acetylcholinesterase activity and neurotoxicity related gene expression in embryonic zebrafish. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 2013;91:635-9 pubmed publisher..43 (gap43), embryonic lethal abnormal vision-like 3 (elavl3), glial fibrillary acidic protein (gfap), myelin basic protein (mbp), ?1-tubulin and neurogenin1 (ngn1) were significantly up-regulated after DBP, DEP and DBP-DEP mixture ..
- Paavola K, Sidik H, Zuchero J, Eckart M, Talbot W. Type IV collagen is an activating ligand for the adhesion G protein-coupled receptor GPR126. Sci Signal. 2014;7:ra76 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings identify type IV collagen as an activating ligand for GPR126, define its mechanism of activation, and highlight a previously unrecognized signaling function of type IV collagen in basement membranes. ..
- Mathews E, Mawdsley D, Walker M, Hines J, Pozzoli M, Appel B. Mutation of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA synthase I reveals requirements for isoprenoid and cholesterol synthesis in oligodendrocyte migration arrest, axon wrapping, and myelin gene expression. J Neurosci. 2014;34:3402-12 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that different products of the cholesterol biosynthetic pathway have distinct roles in oligodendrocyte development and that they together help to coordinate directed migration, axon wrapping, and gene expression. ..
- Wang Q, Chen Q, Zhou P, Li W, Wang J, Huang C, et al. Bioconcentration and metabolism of BDE-209 in the presence of titanium dioxide nanoparticles and impact on the thyroid endocrine system and neuronal development in zebrafish larvae. Nanotoxicology. 2014;8 Suppl 1:196-207 pubmed publisher..g. myelin basic protein and ?1-tubulin)...
- Woods I, Lyons D, Voas M, Pogoda H, Talbot W. nsf is essential for organization of myelinated axons in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2006;16:636-48 pubmed..In addition, nsf mutants exhibit defects in Myelin basic protein expression and in localization of sodium channel proteins at nodes of Ranvier...
- Sidik H, Talbot W. A zinc finger protein that regulates oligodendrocyte specification, migration and myelination in zebrafish. Development. 2015;142:4119-28 pubmed publisher..znf16l mutant larvae have reduced myelin basic protein (mbp) expression and reduced CNS myelin...