Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mafba
Description: v-maf avian musculoaponeurotic fibrosarcoma oncogene homolog Ba
Alias: kreisler, krml, mafb, val, wu:fc22d11, wu:fj82a09, transcription factor MafB, maf-B, transcription factor Val, v-maf musculoaponeurotic fibrosarcoma oncogene family, protein B, valentino
- Waskiewicz A, Rikhof H, Moens C. Eliminating zebrafish pbx proteins reveals a hindbrain ground state. Dev Cell. 2002;3:723-33 pubmed
- Begemann G, Schilling T, Rauch G, Geisler R, Ingham P. The zebrafish neckless mutation reveals a requirement for raldh2 in mesodermal signals that pattern the hindbrain. Development. 2001;128:3081-94 pubmed
- Bingham S, Toussaint G, Chandrasekhar A. Neuronal development and migration in zebrafish hindbrain explants. J Neurosci Methods. 2005;149:42-9 pubmed..These results suggest that hindbrain explant culture can be employed effectively in zebrafish to analyze neuronal migration and other dynamic processes using pharmacological and imaging techniques. ..
- Ke Z, Kondrichin I, Gong Z, Korzh V. Combined activity of the two Gli2 genes of zebrafish play a major role in Hedgehog signaling during zebrafish neurodevelopment. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:388-401 pubmed..Gli2b acts in cell proliferation and plays an early role in the hindbrain within a regulatory cascade involving Notch and Ngn1, as well as a role as specific activator in rhombomere 4. ..
- Gerlach G, Schrader L, Wingert R. Dissection of the adult zebrafish kidney. J Vis Exp. 2011;: pubmed publisher..We hope that dissemination of this protocol will provide researchers with the knowledge to implement broader use of zebrafish studies that ultimately can be translated for human application. ..
- Linville A, Radtke K, Waxman J, Yelon D, Schilling T. Combinatorial roles for zebrafish retinoic acid receptors in the hindbrain, limbs and pharyngeal arches. Dev Biol. 2009;325:60-70 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal novel tissue-specific roles for RARs in controlling the competence and sensitivity of cells to respond to RA. ..
- Varga M, Maegawa S, Weinberg E. Correct anteroposterior patterning of the zebrafish neurectoderm in the absence of the early dorsal organizer. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:26 pubmed publisher..We also show that the zebrafish embryo can form a radial diffuse neural sheath in the absence of both BMP signaling and the early organizer. ..
- Skromne I, Thorsen D, Hale M, Prince V, Ho R. Repression of the hindbrain developmental program by Cdx factors is required for the specification of the vertebrate spinal cord. Development. 2007;134:2147-58 pubmed..We propose that by preventing the posterior-most region of the neural plate from following a hindbrain developmental program, Cdx factors help determine the size of the prospective hindbrain and spinal cord territories. ..
- Wells S, Nornes S, Lardelli M. Transgenic zebrafish recapitulating tbx16 gene early developmental expression. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21559 pubmed publisher..Using this line we demonstrate that the gene mafba (valentino) is expressed in CoPA interneurons.
- Hammond K, Whitfield T. Fgf and Hh signalling act on a symmetrical pre-pattern to specify anterior and posterior identity in the zebrafish otic placode and vesicle. Development. 2011;138:3977-87 pubmed publisher..Each signalling pathway has instructive activity: neither acts simply to repress activity of the other, and, together, they appear to be key players in the specification of anteroposterior asymmetries in the zebrafish ear. ..
- Zhu W, Yao X, Liang Y, Liang D, Song L, Jing N, et al. Mediator Med23 deficiency enhances neural differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells through modulating BMP signaling. Development. 2015;142:465-76 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study reveals an intrinsic, restrictive role of MED23 in early neural development, thus providing new molecular insights for neural fate determination. ..
- Dong L, Pietsch S, Tan Z, Perner B, Sierig R, Kruspe D, et al. Integration of Cistromic and Transcriptomic Analyses Identifies Nphs2, Mafb, and Magi2 as Wilms' Tumor 1 Target Genes in Podocyte Differentiation and Maintenance. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015;26:2118-28 pubmed publisher..conservation of WT1 targets, we performed functional assays using zebrafish as a model and identified Nphs2, Mafb, and Magi2 as novel WT1 target genes required for podocyte development...
- Labalette C, Bouchoucha Y, Wassef M, Gongal P, Le Men J, Becker T, et al. Hindbrain patterning requires fine-tuning of early krox20 transcription by Sprouty 4. Development. 2011;138:317-26 pubmed publisher..enhancer elements B and C; in r5, we show that this regulation is mediated by direct binding of the transcription factor MafB to element B...
- Ye L, Robertson M, Hesselson D, Stainier D, Anderson R. Glucagon is essential for alpha cell transdifferentiation and beta cell neogenesis. Development. 2015;142:1407-17 pubmed publisher..It further reveals that glucagon plays an important role in maintaining endocrine cell homeostasis through feedback mechanisms that govern cell fate stability. ..
- Henry C, Urban M, Dill K, Merlie J, Page M, Kimmel C, et al. Two linked hairy/Enhancer of split-related zebrafish genes, her1 and her7, function together to refine alternating somite boundaries. Development. 2002;129:3693-704 pubmed..Thus, even though two potential downstream components of Notch signaling are lacking in her1+7-deficient embryos, somite boundaries form, but do so with a one and a half to two segment periodicity. ..
- Wada H, Tanaka H, Nakayama S, Iwasaki M, Okamoto H. Frizzled3a and Celsr2 function in the neuroepithelium to regulate migration of facial motor neurons in the developing zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2006;133:4749-59 pubmed..e. preventing integration of differentiated neurons into the neuroepithelial layer). This contrasts markedly with their reported role in reintegration of neuroepithelial daughter cells into the neuroepithelial layer after cell division. ..
- Chandrasekhar A, Schauerte H, Haffter P, Kuwada J. The zebrafish detour gene is essential for cranial but not spinal motor neuron induction. Development. 1999;126:2727-37 pubmed
- Choe S, SAGERSTROM C. Variable Meis-dependence among paralog group-1 Hox proteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;331:1384-91 pubmed..Our results are consistent with PG1 hox genes requiring pbx and meis function in vivo and reveal that different Hox proteins have distinct Meis requirements. ..
- Montero Balaguer M, Lang M, Sachdev S, Knappmeyer C, Stewart R, De La Guardia A, et al. The mother superior mutation ablates foxd3 activity in neural crest progenitor cells and depletes neural crest derivatives in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3199-212 pubmed..Further analysis of mosm188 mutants and foxd3 morphants revealed that NC cells are initially formed, suggesting that foxd3 function is required to maintain the pool of NC progenitors. ..
- Choe S, SAGERSTROM C. Paralog group 1 hox genes regulate rhombomere 5/6 expression of vhnf1, a repressor of rostral hindbrain fates, in a meis-dependent manner. Dev Biol. 2004;271:350-61 pubmed..Notably, reductions in the function of another Hox cofactor, pbx, have not been reported to transform the caudal hindbrain, suggesting that Meis and Pbx proteins may also function differently in their roles as Hox cofactors. ..
- Wiellette E, Sive H. Early requirement for fgf8 function during hindbrain pattern formation in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:393-9 pubmed..These data demonstrate an early, nonredundant requirement for fgf8 function in hindbrain patterning. ..
- Hong S, Dawid I. The transcriptional mediator component Med12 is required for hindbrain boundary formation. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19076 pubmed publisher..The kto/med12 mutation results in specific defects of boundary cell formation in the zebrafish hindbrain. ..
- Kim J, Yang H, Oel A, Brooks M, Jia L, Plachetzki D, et al. Recruitment of Rod Photoreceptors from Short-Wavelength-Sensitive Cones during the Evolution of Nocturnal Vision in Mammals. Dev Cell. 2016;37:520-32 pubmed publisher..We propose that this developmental mechanism allowed the adaptive exploitation of scotopic niches during the nocturnal bottleneck early in mammalian evolution. ..
- Koltowska K, Paterson S, Bower N, Baillie G, Lagendijk A, Astin J, et al. mafba is a downstream transcriptional effector of Vegfc signaling essential for embryonic lymphangiogenesis in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2015;29:1618-30 pubmed publisher..We used a forward genetic screen in zebrafish to identify the transcription factor mafba as essential for lymphatic vessel development...
- Sadl V, Sing A, Mar L, Jin F, Cordes S. Analysis of hindbrain patterning defects caused by the kreisler(enu) mutation reveals multiple roles of Kreisler in hindbrain segmentation. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:134-42 pubmed..of kr(enu)/kr(enu) and kr/kr mouse embryos, and zebrafish carrying mutations in the Kreisler orthologue valentino (val) suggest that Kreisler performs many of its r5-specific functions by associating with other proteins...
- Nambiar R, Ignatius M, Henion P. Zebrafish colgate/hdac1 functions in the non-canonical Wnt pathway during axial extension and in Wnt-independent branchiomotor neuron migration. Mech Dev. 2007;124:682-98 pubmed..Here, we demonstrate novel roles for zebrafish hdac1 in activating non-canonical Wnt/PCP signaling underlying axial extension and in promoting Wnt-independent caudal migration of a subset of hindbrain branchiomotor neurons. ..
- Henshall T, Tucker B, Lumsden A, Nornes S, Lardelli M, Richards R. Selective neuronal requirement for huntingtin in the developing zebrafish. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:4830-42 pubmed publisher..These investigations demonstrate a specific 'rate-limiting' role for huntingtin in formation of the telencephalon and the pre-placodal region, and differing levels of requirement for huntingtin function in specific nerve cell types. ..
- Begemann G, Marx M, Mebus K, Meyer A, Bastmeyer M. Beyond the neckless phenotype: influence of reduced retinoic acid signaling on motor neuron development in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Biol. 2004;271:119-29 pubmed..In addition, blockage of RA-mediated signaling not only interferes with the differentiation of branchiomotor neurons and their axons in the hindbrain, but also affects the development of the posterior lateral line nerve...
- Hernandez R, Rikhof H, Bachmann R, Moens C. vhnf1 integrates global RA patterning and local FGF signals to direct posterior hindbrain development in zebrafish. Development. 2004;131:4511-20 pubmed..b>valentino (val), the zebrafish ortholog of mafB/Kreisler (Kr), encodes a bZip transcription factor that is required cell ..
- Clay H, Ramakrishnan L. Multiplex fluorescent in situ hybridization in zebrafish embryos using tyramide signal amplification. Zebrafish. 2005;2:105-11 pubmed publisher..To this effect, we demonstrate that this approach can be combined with standard horseradish peroxidase (HRP)-mediated immunocytochemistry procedures in addition to FISH. ..
- Roy N, SAGERSTROM C. An early Fgf signal required for gene expression in the zebrafish hindbrain primordium. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2004;148:27-42 pubmed..Our results demonstrate an early role for Fgf signaling and reveal a dynamic relationship between the RA and Fgf signaling pathways during hindbrain development. ..
- Drummond D, Cheng C, Selland L, Hocking J, Prichard L, Waskiewicz A. The role of Zic transcription factors in regulating hindbrain retinoic acid signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2013;13:31 pubmed publisher..Zic transcription factors function in patterning hindbrain motor neurons through their regulation of embryonic retinoic acid signaling. ..
- Kajihara M, Sone H, Amemiya M, Katoh Y, Isogai M, Shimano H, et al. Mouse MafA, homologue of zebrafish somite Maf 1, contributes to the specific transcriptional activity through the insulin promoter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;312:831-42 pubmed..These results indicate that MafA is the homologue of zebrafish SMaf1 and acts as a transcriptional activator of the insulin gene promoter through the RIPE3b element. ..
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Hibi M. Cdx-Hox code controls competence for responding to Fgfs and retinoic acid in zebrafish neural tissue. Development. 2006;133:4709-19 pubmed..Our results indicate that the Cdx-Hox code modifies tissue competence to respond to Fgfs and RA in neural tissue. ..
- Omata Y, Nojima Y, Nakayama S, Okamoto H, Nakamura H, Funahashi J. Role of Bone morphogenetic protein 4 in zebrafish semicircular canal development. Dev Growth Differ. 2007;49:711-9 pubmed..Furthermore, the protrusions in gallery treated with Noggin were partially rescued. These data indicate that BMP4 plays an important role in the development of protrusions to form semicircular canals. ..
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Ahrendt R, Geffarth M, Brand M. Zebrafish gbx1 refines the midbrain-hindbrain boundary border and mediates the Wnt8 posteriorization signal. Neural Dev. 2009;4:12 pubmed publisher..In addition to its role in MHB formation, we have shown that gbx1 is a novel mediator of Wnt8 signaling during hindbrain patterning. ..
- French C, Erickson T, Callander D, Berry K, Koss R, Hagey D, et al. Pbx homeodomain proteins pattern both the zebrafish retina and tectum. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:85 pubmed..These data define a novel role for Pbx in patterning the vertebrate retina and tectum in a manner required for proper retinal ganglion cell axon outgrowth. ..
- Chandrasekar G, Lauter G, Hauptmann G. Distribution of corticotropin-releasing hormone in the developing zebrafish brain. J Comp Neurol. 2007;505:337-51 pubmed..The widespread distribution of CRH-synthesizing cells outside the preoptic region suggests additional functions of CRH in the embryonic zebrafish brain. ..
- Mione M, Lele Z, Kwong C, Concha M, Clarke J. Expression of pcp4a in subpopulations of CNS neurons in zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2006;495:769-87 pubmed..The analysis of pcp4a expression and localization in the zebrafish brain suggests that pcp4a may be a useful marker for sensory and some motor neuronal circuitries and for telencephalic areas processing sensory inputs. ..
- Nakayama Y, Miyake A, Nakagawa Y, Mido T, Yoshikawa M, Konishi M, et al. Fgf19 is required for zebrafish lens and retina development. Dev Biol. 2008;313:752-66 pubmed..Knockdown of Fgf19 also caused incorrect axon pathfinding. The present findings indicate that Fgf19 positively regulates the patterning and growth of the retina, and the differentiation and growth of the lens in zebrafish. ..
- Choe S, Nakamura M, Ladam F, Etheridge L, SAGERSTROM C. A Gal4/UAS system for conditional transgene expression in rhombomere 4 of the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:1125-32 pubmed publisher..We have generated three transgenic lines that will be useful for future studies by permitting the labeling of r4-derived cells, as well as by enabling r4-specific expression of various transgenes. ..
- Yang J, Zeng Z, Wei J, Jiang L, Ma Q, Wu M, et al. Sema4d is required for the development of the hindbrain boundary and skeletal muscle in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;433:213-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that sema4d plays an important role in the development of the hindbrain and skeletal muscle. ..
- Smith S, Snell P, Gruetzner F, Bench A, Haaf T, Metcalfe J, et al. Analyses of the extent of shared synteny and conserved gene orders between the genome of Fugu rubripes and human 20q. Genome Res. 2002;12:776-84 pubmed..Two other genes (SNAI1 and KRML) mapping to human chromosome 20 are also duplicated in Fugu...
- Coolen M, Sii Felice K, Bronchain O, Mazabraud A, Bourrat F, R taux S, et al. Phylogenomic analysis and expression patterns of large Maf genes in Xenopus tropicalis provide new insights into the functional evolution of the gene family in osteichthyans. Dev Genes Evol. 2005;215:327-39 pubmed publisher..Our phylogenetic analysis shows that, in osteichthyans, the large Maf family contains four orthology classes, MafA, MafB, c-Maf and Nrl, which have emerged in vertebrates prior to the split between actinopterygians and sarcopterygians...
- Chang J, Skromne I, Ho R. CDX4 and retinoic acid interact to position the hindbrain-spinal cord transition. Dev Biol. 2016;410:178-189 pubmed publisher..Therefore, interactions between Cyp26a1 and Cdx4 modulate RA levels along the AP axis to segregate the posterior neural plate into the hindbrain and spinal cord territories. ..
- Cubedo N, Cerdan E, Sapede D, Rossel M. CXCR4 and CXCR7 cooperate during tangential migration of facial motoneurons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009;40:474-84 pubmed..Altogether, we show that CXCR7 is required, for proper tangential migration of facial motoneurons, by determining a permissive migration pathway through r5. ..
- McCampbell K, Springer K, Wingert R. Analysis of nephron composition and function in the adult zebrafish kidney. J Vis Exp. 2014;:e51644 pubmed publisher..Further, these methods could be used to study genetic perturbations in adult kidney formation and could also be applied to assess renal status during chronic disease modeling. ..
- O Brien L, Grimaldi M, Kostun Z, Wingert R, Selleck R, Davidson A. Wt1a, Foxc1a, and the Notch mediator Rbpj physically interact and regulate the formation of podocytes in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2011;358:318-30 pubmed publisher..These findings further our understanding of the transcriptional circuitry responsible for podocyte formation and differentiation during kidney development. ..
- Xu F, Li K, Tian M, Hu P, Song W, Chen J, et al. N-CoR is required for patterning the anterior-posterior axis of zebrafish hindbrain by actively repressing retinoid signaling. Mech Dev. 2009;126:771-80 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that N-CoR is essential for early hindbrain patterning by actively repressing retinoid signaling. ..
- Hesselson D, Anderson R, Beinat M, Stainier D. Distinct populations of quiescent and proliferative pancreatic beta-cells identified by HOTcre mediated labeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:14896-901 pubmed publisher..g., diabetes mellitus). Our data reveal the existence of distinct populations of beta-cells in vivo and should help develop better strategies to regulate beta-cell differentiation and proliferation. ..
- Wada H, Iwasaki M, Sato T, Masai I, Nishiwaki Y, Tanaka H, et al. Dual roles of zygotic and maternal Scribble1 in neural migration and convergent extension movements in zebrafish embryos. Development. 2005;132:2273-85 pubmed..The dual roles of the scrb1 gene in both neuronal migration and CE provide a novel insight into the underlying mechanisms of cell movement in vertebrate development. ..