Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: lhx3
Description: LIM homeobox 3
Alias: lim3, LIM/homeobox protein Lhx3, LIM homeobox protein 3, homeobox protein LIM-3
- Batista M, Jacobstein J, Lewis K. Zebrafish V2 cells develop into excitatory CiD and Notch signalling dependent inhibitory VeLD interneurons. Dev Biol. 2008;322:263-75 pubmed publisher..In addition, we demonstrate that Notch signalling is required for V2 cells to develop into V2b cells. In the absence of Notch signalling, all V2b cells develop as V2a cells. ..
- Kimura Y, Okamura Y, Higashijima S. alx, a zebrafish homolog of Chx10, marks ipsilateral descending excitatory interneurons that participate in the regulation of spinal locomotor circuits. J Neurosci. 2006;26:5684-97 pubmed..Collectively, our data demonstrate that alx marks ipsilateral descending neurons that are involved in the regulation of motoneuron activity during forms of locomotion, such as escape and swimming. ..
- Hutchinson S, Eisen J. Islet1 and Islet2 have equivalent abilities to promote motoneuron formation and to specify motoneuron subtype identity. Development. 2006;133:2137-47 pubmed..Thus, primary motoneuron subtypes are likely to be specified by factors that act in parallel to or upstream of islet1 and islet2. ..
- Takamiya M, Campos Ortega J. Hedgehog signalling controls zebrafish neural keel morphogenesis via its level-dependent effects on neurogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:978-97 pubmed..Such differences seem to be created in part by regional effector signalling; the effects of high Hh-signalling on medial neurogenesis can be reversed in accordance to medial Tri/Stbm level, in a polarity independent manner. ..
- Dutta S, Dawid I. Kctd15 inhibits neural crest formation by attenuating Wnt/beta-catenin signaling output. Development. 2010;137:3013-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that Kctd15 inhibits NC formation by attenuating the output of the canonical Wnt pathway, thereby restricting expansion of the NC domain beyond its normal range...
- Angotzi A, Mungpakdee S, Stefansson S, Male R, Chourrout D. Involvement of Prop1 homeobox gene in the early development of fish pituitary gland. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2011;171:332-40 pubmed publisher..Less expectedly, lim3 was down regulated...
- Blader P, Fischer N, Gradwohl G, Guillemot F, Strahle U. The activity of neurogenin1 is controlled by local cues in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 1997;124:4557-69 pubmed..Together these data suggest that Hh signals regulate neurogenin1 expression and subsequently modulate the type of neurons produced by Neurogenin1 activity. ..
- Kawakami A, Nojima Y, Toyoda A, Takahoko M, Satoh M, Tanaka H, et al. The zebrafish-secreted matrix protein you/scube2 is implicated in long-range regulation of hedgehog signaling. Curr Biol. 2005;15:480-8 pubmed..We further show that Bmp activity can be attenuated by the coexpression of Scube2. Our data support the idea that Scube2 can modulate the long-range action of Bmp-dependent signaling in the neural tube and somites. ..
- Herzog W, Sonntag C, von der Hardt S, Roehl H, Varga Z, Hammerschmidt M. Fgf3 signaling from the ventral diencephalon is required for early specification and subsequent survival of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Development. 2004;131:3681-92 pubmed..signaling from the ventral diencephalon is required in a non-cell autonomous fashion to induce the expression of lim3, pit1 and other pituitary-specific genes in the underlying adenohypophyseal progenitor cells...
- Quiroz Y, Lopez M, Mavropoulos A, Motte P, Martial J, Hammerschmidt M, et al. The HMG-box transcription factor Sox4b is required for pituitary expression of gata2a and specification of thyrotrope and gonadotrope cells in zebrafish. Mol Endocrinol. 2012;26:1014-27 pubmed publisher..expression and reduced levels of gh, whereas other anterior pituitary gland markers including prl, sl?, pomc, and lim3 are not affected. Sox4b is also required for expression of gata2a in the pituitary...
- Seredick S, Hutchinson S, Van Ryswyk L, Talbot J, Eisen J. Lhx3 and Lhx4 suppress Kolmer-Agduhr interneuron characteristics within zebrafish axial motoneurons. Development. 2014;141:3900-9 pubmed publisher..For example, in mouse and chick Lhx3 plays a pivotal role in the development of both cell classes...
- Graf M, Teo Qi Wen E, Sarusie M, Rajaei F, Winkler C. Dmrt5 controls corticotrope and gonadotrope differentiation in the zebrafish pituitary. Mol Endocrinol. 2015;29:187-99 pubmed publisher..Intriguingly, its effect on gonadotrope numbers defines a first nongonadal role for a dmrt family member that appears crucial for the activity of the reproductive system. ..
- Cau E, Quillien A, Blader P. Notch resolves mixed neural identities in the zebrafish epiphysis. Development. 2008;135:2391-401 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel model in which Notch resolves mixed neural identities by repressing an undesired genetic program. ..
- Zeng J, Yan J, Wang T, Mosbrook Davis D, Dolan K, Christensen R, et al. Genome wide screens in yeast to identify potential binding sites and target genes of DNA-binding proteins. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:e8 pubmed..Our yeast screening strategy, combined with bioinformatics approaches, will allow both detailed and high-throughput characterization of transcription factors, scalable to the analysis of all putative DNA-binding proteins. ..
- Chandrasekar G, Arner A, Kitambi S, Dahlman Wright K, Lendahl M. Developmental toxicity of the environmental pollutant 4-nonylphenol in zebrafish. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:752-64 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that 4-NP enduringly affects the embryonic development in zebrafish and that this compound might exert these deleterious effects through diverse signaling pathways. ..
- Masai I, Yamaguchi M, Tonou Fujimori N, Komori A, Okamoto H. The hedgehog-PKA pathway regulates two distinct steps of the differentiation of retinal ganglion cells: the cell-cycle exit of retinoblasts and their neuronal maturation. Development. 2005;132:1539-53 pubmed..This dual requirement of Hh signalling in RGC differentiation implies that the regulation of a neurogenic wave is more complex in the zebrafish retina than in the Drosophila eye. ..
- Nica G, Herzog W, Sonntag C, Hammerschmidt M. Zebrafish pit1 mutants lack three pituitary cell types and develop severe dwarfism. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:1196-209 pubmed..In sum, our data point to both conserved and class-specific aspects of Pit1 function during pituitary development in different vertebrate species. ..
- Yelin Bekerman L, Elbaz I, Diber A, Dahary D, Gibbs Bar L, Alon S, et al. Hypocretin neuron-specific transcriptome profiling identifies the sleep modulator Kcnh4a. elife. 2015;4:e08638 pubmed publisher..The mutant kcnh4a (kcnh4a(-/-)) larvae showed reduced sleep time and consolidation, specifically during the night, suggesting that Kcnh4a regulates sleep. ..
- Devine C, Sbrogna J, Guner B, Osgood M, Shen M, Karlstrom R. A dynamic Gli code interprets Hh signals to regulate induction, patterning, and endocrine cell specification in the zebrafish pituitary. Dev Biol. 2009;326:143-54 pubmed publisher..Given the link between Hh signaling and pituitary adenomas in humans, our data suggest misregulation of Gli function may contribute to these common pituitary tumors. ..
- Dutta S, Dietrich J, Westerfield M, Varga Z. Notch signaling regulates endocrine cell specification in the zebrafish anterior pituitary. Dev Biol. 2008;319:248-57 pubmed publisher..We propose that Notch mediated lateral inhibition regulates the relative numbers of specified hormone cell types in the three pituitary subdomains. ..
- Quillien A, Blanco Sanchez B, Halluin C, Moore J, Lawson N, Blader P, et al. BMP signaling orchestrates photoreceptor specification in the zebrafish pineal gland in collaboration with Notch. Development. 2011;138:2293-302 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into how multiple signaling influences are integrated during cell fate specification in the vertebrate CNS. ..
- Glasgow E, Karavanov A, Dawid I. Neuronal and neuroendocrine expression of lim3, a LIM class homeobox gene, is altered in mutant zebrafish with axial signaling defects. Dev Biol. 1997;192:405-19 pubmed..The lim3 gene from the zebrafish, Danio rerio, is highly conserved in sequence and expression pattern compared to its ..
- Zeller J, Granato M. The zebrafish diwanka gene controls an early step of motor growth cone migration. Development. 1999;126:3461-72 pubmed
- Sloop K, Meier B, Bridwell J, Parker G, Schiller A, Rhodes S. Differential activation of pituitary hormone genes by human Lhx3 isoforms with distinct DNA binding properties. Mol Endocrinol. 1999;13:2212-25 pubmedb>Lhx3 is a LIM homeodomain transcription factor essential for pituitary development and motor neuron specification in mice...
- Nguyen V, Trout J, Connors S, Andermann P, Weinberg E, Mullins M. Dorsal and intermediate neuronal cell types of the spinal cord are established by a BMP signaling pathway. Development. 2000;127:1209-20 pubmed
- Miyasaka N, Morimoto K, Tsubokawa T, Higashijima S, Okamoto H, Yoshihara Y. From the olfactory bulb to higher brain centers: genetic visualization of secondary olfactory pathways in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2009;29:4756-67 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our finding of asymmetric bulbo-habenular projection renders the olfactory system an attractive model for the studies of brain asymmetry and lateralized behaviors. ..
- Kobayashi M, Toyama R, Takeda H, Dawid I, Kawakami K. Overexpression of the forebrain-specific homeobox gene six3 induces rostral forebrain enlargement in zebrafish. Development. 1998;125:2973-82 pubmed..Our results suggest that the vertebrate Six3 genes are involved in the formation of the rostral forebrain. ..
- Li X, He J, Hu W, Yin Z. The essential role of endogenous ghrelin in growth hormone expression during zebrafish adenohypophysis development. Endocrinology. 2009;150:2767-74 pubmed publisher..Our research here has demonstrated that zebrafish is a unique model for functional studies of endogenous ghrelin, especially during embryonic development. ..
- Dutta S, Dietrich J, Aspöck G, Burdine R, Schier A, Westerfield M, et al. pitx3 defines an equivalence domain for lens and anterior pituitary placode. Development. 2005;132:1579-90 pubmed..During mid-somitogenesis, Hedgehog then acts on the established median placode as a necessary and sufficient signal to specify pituitary cell types. ..
- Li S, Liu W, Li Z, Li W, Wang Y, Zhou L, et al. greb1 regulates convergent extension movement and pituitary development in zebrafish. Gene. 2017;627:176-187 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our present study indicates that greb1 is a novel regulator for CE movement and pituitary development in zebrafish. ..
- Herzog W, Sonntag C, Walderich B, Odenthal J, Maischein H, Hammerschmidt M. Genetic analysis of adenohypophysis formation in zebrafish. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:1185-95 pubmed..Positional cloning of the lia, pia, and aal genes might reveal novel regulators of vertebrate pituitary development. ..
- Elkon R, Milon B, Morrison L, Shah M, Vijayakumar S, Racherla M, et al. RFX transcription factors are essential for hearing in mice. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8549 pubmed publisher..We show that these mice are deaf secondary to rapid loss of initially well-formed outer HCs. These data identify an essential role for RFX in hearing and survival of the terminally differentiating outer HCs. ..