Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: lft2
Alias: atv2, cb720, fe38b03, wu:fe38b03, lefty2
- Monteiro R, Van Dinther M, Bakkers J, Wilkinson R, Patient R, Ten Dijke P, et al. Two novel type II receptors mediate BMP signalling and are required to establish left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2008;315:55-71 pubmed publisher..southpaw (spaw), which are expressed asymmetrically in the lateral plate mesoderm (LPM), and subsequently regulate lefty2 and bmp4 in the left heart field...
- Essner J, Branford W, Zhang J, Yost H. Mesendoderm and left-right brain, heart and gut development are differentially regulated by pitx2 isoforms. Development. 2000;127:1081-93 pubmed..to earlier reports that nodal and lefty are upstream of pitx2, ectopic pitx2c in other regions induces cyclops, lefty2 and goosecoid expression...
- Feldman B, Concha M, Saude L, Parsons M, Adams R, Wilson S, et al. Lefty antagonism of Squint is essential for normal gastrulation. Curr Biol. 2002;12:2129-35 pubmed..The zebrafish Nodal-related ligands, Squint and Cyclops, and their antagonists, Lefty1 and Lefty2, belong to the TGFbeta-related protein superfamily, whose members have widespread biological activities...
- Bisgrove B, Snarr B, Emrazian A, Yost H. Polaris and Polycystin-2 in dorsal forerunner cells and Kupffer's vesicle are required for specification of the zebrafish left-right axis. Dev Biol. 2005;287:274-88 pubmed..Polaris or Pkd2 in zebrafish results in misexpression of left-side-specific genes, including southpaw, lefty1 and lefty2, and randomization of heart and gut looping...
- Zhao C, Malicki J. Genetic defects of pronephric cilia in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2007;124:605-16 pubmed..Mutants characterized in this study reveal intriguing genetic differences between subpopulations of embryonic cilia, and provide an opportunity to study several aspects of cilia structure and function. ..
- Amack J, Wang X, Yost H. Two T-box genes play independent and cooperative roles to regulate morphogenesis of ciliated Kupffer's vesicle in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:196-210 pubmed..By targeting morpholinos to DFCs, we show that these cell autonomous functions in KV morphogenesis are necessary for LR patterning throughout the embryo. ..
- Lin X, Xu X. Distinct functions of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in KV development and cardiac asymmetry. Development. 2009;136:207-17 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results reveal a previously unexpected role of Wnt-Gata4 signaling in the control of asymmetric signal propagation from the LPM to the cardiac field. ..
- Burdine R, Grimes D. Antagonistic interactions in the zebrafish midline prior to the emergence of asymmetric gene expression are important for left-right patterning. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016;371: pubmed..This article is part of the themed issue 'Provocative questions in left-right asymmetry'. ..
- Hashimoto H, Uji S, Kurokawa T, Washio Y, Suzuki T. Flounder and fugu have a single lefty gene that covers the functions of lefty1 and lefty2 of zebrafish during L-R patterning. Gene. 2007;387:126-32 pubmed..Both mouse and zebrafish have two lefty genes, lefty1 and lefty2. Interestingly, the expression domains of mouse and zebrafish lefty are different from one another...
- Deshwar A, Onderisin J, Aleksandrova A, Yuan X, Burrows J, Scott I. Mespaa can potently induce cardiac fates in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2016;418:17-27 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the late activation of migration and cardiac gene transcription in mespaa over-expressing cells challenges previous studies on the timing of these events and provides intriguing questions for future study. ..
- Moriarty M, Ryan R, Lalor P, Dockery P, Byrnes L, Grealy M. Loss of plakophilin 2 disrupts heart development in zebrafish. Int J Dev Biol. 2012;56:711-8 pubmed publisher..5 at 24 hpf was expanded. At the 18 somite stage, expression of the cardiogenic gene lefty2 was abolished in the left cardiac field, with concomitant increases in bmp4, spaw and lefty1 expression, likely ..
- Zaucker A, Nagorska A, Kumari P, Hecker N, Wang Y, Huang S, et al. Translational co-regulation of a ligand and inhibitor by a conserved RNA element. Nucleic Acids Res. 2018;46:104-119 pubmed publisher..is shared by the related ligand nodal-related2/cyclops (ndr2/cyc) and the nodal inhibitors, lefty1 (lft1) and lefty2 mRNAs. We investigated the activity of the DLEs through functional assays in live zebrafish embryos...
- Leung T, Humbert J, Stauffer A, Giger K, Chen H, Tsai H, et al. The orphan G protein-coupled receptor 161 is required for left-right patterning. Dev Biol. 2008;323:31-40 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data support a model in which gpr161 plays an essential role in left-right (L-R) patterning by modulating Ca(2+) levels in the cells surrounding the Kupffer's vesicle. ..
- Jurisch Yaksi N, Rose A, Lu H, Raemaekers T, Munck S, Baatsen P, et al. Rer1p maintains ciliary length and signaling by regulating ?-secretase activity and Foxj1a levels. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:709-20 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that Rer1p depletion reduced ciliary length and function by increasing ?-secretase complex assembly and activity and, consequently, enhancing Notch signaling as well as reducing Foxj1a expression. ..
- Sampaio P, Ferreira R, Guerrero A, Pintado P, Tavares B, Amaro J, et al. Left-right organizer flow dynamics: how much cilia activity reliably yields laterality?. Dev Cell. 2014;29:716-28 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cilia number, dorsal anterior motile cilia clustering, and left flow are critical to situs solitus via robust asymmetric charon expression. ..
- Lange M, Kaynak B, Forster U, Tönjes M, Fischer J, Grimm C, et al. Regulation of muscle development by DPF3, a novel histone acetylation and methylation reader of the BAF chromatin remodeling complex. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2370-84 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this shows that plant homeodomain proteins play a yet unexplored role in recruiting chromatin remodeling complexes to acetylated histones. ..
- Bonetti M, Paardekooper Overman J, Tessadori F, Noël E, Bakkers J, den Hertog J. Noonan and LEOPARD syndrome Shp2 variants induce heart displacement defects in zebrafish. Development. 2014;141:1961-70 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that NS and LS Shp2 variant-mediated hyperactivation of MAPK signaling leads to impaired cilia function in Kupffer's vesicle, causing left-right asymmetry defects and defective early cardiac development. ..
- Lenhart K, Lin S, Titus T, Postlethwait J, Burdine R. Two additional midline barriers function with midline lefty1 expression to maintain asymmetric Nodal signaling during left-right axis specification in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:4405-10 pubmed publisher..The 'anterior barrier' is mediated by lefty2 expression in the left cardiac field and prevents Nodal activation from traveling across the anterior limit of the ..
- Van Boxtel A, Chesebro J, Heliot C, Ramel M, Stone R, Hill C. A Temporal Window for Signal Activation Dictates the Dimensions of a Nodal Signaling Domain. Dev Cell. 2015;35:175-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, temporal information is transformed into spatial information to define the dimensions of the Nodal signaling domain and, consequently, to specify mesendoderm. ..
- de Campos Baptista M, Holtzman N, Yelon D, Schier A. Nodal signaling promotes the speed and directional movement of cardiomyocytes in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3624-33 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that a Nodal-BMP signaling cascade drives left-right heart morphogenesis by regulating the speed and direction of cardiomyocyte movement. ..
- Shu X, Huang J, Dong Y, Choi J, Langenbacher A, Chen J. Na,K-ATPase alpha2 and Ncx4a regulate zebrafish left-right patterning. Development. 2007;134:1921-30 pubmed
- Zhang M, Zhang J, Lin S, Meng A. ?-Catenin 1 and ?-catenin 2 play similar and distinct roles in left-right asymmetric development of zebrafish embryos. Development. 2012;139:2009-19 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that ctnnb1 and ctnnb2 regulate multiple processes of laterality development in zebrafish embryos through similar and distinct mechanisms. ..
- Lin C, Tsai M, Liu Y, Lu Y, Chen Y, Lai Y, et al. Klf8 regulates left-right asymmetric patterning through modulation of Kupffer's vesicle morphogenesis and spaw expression. J Biomed Sci. 2017;24:45 pubmed publisher..Spaw then stimulates transcription of itself and downstream genes, including lft1, lft2, and pitx2, specifically in the left side of the diencephalon, heart and LPM...
- Huang S, Ma J, Liu X, Zhang Y, Luo L. Geminin is required for left-right patterning through regulating Kupffer's vesicle formation and ciliogenesis in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;410:164-9 pubmed publisher..the left-sided nodal/spaw in the lateral plate mesoderm (LPM) as well as the sideness of its downstream targets lefty2 and lefty1 was perturbed in geminin morphants...
- Zhao C, Malicki J. Nephrocystins and MKS proteins interact with IFT particle and facilitate transport of selected ciliary cargos. EMBO J. 2011;30:2532-44 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal a molecular mechanism that mediates the transport of selected ciliary cargos and is of fundamental importance for the differentiation and survival of sensory cells. ..
- Kim Y, Epting D, Slanchev K, Engel C, Walz G, Kramer Zucker A. A complex of BBS1 and NPHP7 is required for cilia motility in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72549 pubmed publisher..2 did not compromise cilia formation, but disrupted cilia motility. Although NPHP7 has been shown to act as transcriptional repressor, our studies suggest a crosstalk between BBS1 and NPHP7 in regulating normal function of the cilium. ..
- Deshwar A, Chng S, Ho L, Reversade B, Scott I. The Apelin receptor enhances Nodal/TGF? signaling to ensure proper cardiac development. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our results favour a model in which Aplnr is required to fine-tune Nodal output, acting as a specific rheostat for the Nodal/TGF? pathway during the earliest stages of cardiogenesis. ..
- Kumari P, Gilligan P, Lim S, Tran L, Winkler S, Philp R, et al. An essential role for maternal control of Nodal signaling. elife. 2013;2:e00683 pubmed publisher..Thus, Ybx1 prevents ectopic Nodal activity, revealing a new paradigm in the regulation of Nodal signaling, which is likely to be conserved. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00683.001. ..
- Jaffe K, Grimes D, Schottenfeld Roames J, Werner M, Ku T, Kim S, et al. c21orf59/kurly Controls Both Cilia Motility and Polarization. Cell Rep. 2016;14:1841-9 pubmed publisher..Kur also makes interactions with other PCP components, including Disheveled. This supports a model wherein Kur plays a dual role in cilia motility and polarization. ..
- Wang Y, Wang X, Wohland T, Sampath K. Extracellular interactions and ligand degradation shape the nodal morphogen gradient. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..By computational simulations of gradient formation, we demonstrate that diffusivity, extra-cellular interactions, and selective ligand destruction collectively shape the Nodal morphogen gradient. ..
- Oteiza P, Köppen M, Krieg M, Pulgar E, Farias C, Melo C, et al. Planar cell polarity signalling regulates cell adhesion properties in progenitors of the zebrafish laterality organ. Development. 2010;137:3459-68 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a novel role for PCP-dependent cell adhesion in coordinating the supracellular organisation of progenitor cells during vertebrate laterality organ formation. ..
- Kang N, Won M, Rhee M, Ro H. Siah ubiquitin ligases modulate nodal signaling during zebrafish embryonic development. Mol Cells. 2014;37:389-98 pubmed publisher..of nodal related genes by overexpression of Siah2 was enough to override the inhibitory effects of atv and lft2 on the Nodal signaling...
- Aamar E, Dawid I. Sox17 and chordin are required for formation of Kupffer's vesicle and left-right asymmetry determination in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2980-8 pubmed publisher..These defects correlated with the formation of small KVs with apparently diminished cilia, consistent with the known requirement for ciliary function in the laterality organ for the establishment of L-R asymmetry. ..
- Chen E, Hermanson S, Ekker S. Syndecan-2 is essential for angiogenic sprouting during zebrafish development. Blood. 2004;103:1710-9 pubmed..Syndecan-2 as a novel angiogenic factor is a potential candidate for use in the development of angiogenesis-based therapies. ..
- Putiri E, Pelegri F. The zebrafish maternal-effect gene mission impossible encodes the DEAH-box helicase Dhx16 and is essential for the expression of downstream endodermal genes. Dev Biol. 2011;353:275-89 pubmed publisher..Maternal RNA helicases have long been known to be involved in the development of the animal germ line, but our findings add to growing evidence that these factors may also control specific gene expression programs in somatic tissues. ..
- Li M, Hu X, Zhu J, Zhu C, Zhu S, Liu X, et al. Overexpression of miR-19b impairs cardiac development in zebrafish by targeting ctnnb1. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2014;33:1988-2002 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that miR-19b regulates laterality development and heart looping in zebrafish embryos by targeting ctnnb1. ..
- Rikin A, Evans T. The tbx/bHLH transcription factor mga regulates gata4 and organogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:535-47 pubmed publisher..Transcript profiling experiments show that mga functions early to influence key regulators of mesendoderm, including tbx6, cas, and sox17. ..
- Fogelgren B, Lin S, Zuo X, Jaffe K, Park K, Reichert R, et al. The exocyst protein Sec10 interacts with Polycystin-2 and knockdown causes PKD-phenotypes. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001361 pubmed publisher..Our work supports a model in which the exocyst is required for the ciliary localization of polycystin-2, thus allowing for polycystin-2 function in cellular processes. ..
- Bassett A, Azzam G, Wheatley L, Tibbit C, Rajakumar T, McGowan S, et al. Understanding functional miRNA-target interactions in vivo by site-specific genome engineering. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4640 pubmed publisher..These methods facilitate analysis of the direct phenotypic consequences resulting from blocking specific miRNA-MRE interactions at any point during development. ..
- Muto A, Calof A, Lander A, Schilling T. Multifactorial origins of heart and gut defects in nipbl-deficient zebrafish, a model of Cornelia de Lange Syndrome. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001181 pubmed publisher..of genes involved in endodermal differentiation (sox32, sox17, foxa2, and gata5) and left-right patterning (spaw, lefty2, and dnah9) is altered...
- Ma H, Lin Y, Zhao Z, Lu X, Yu Y, Zhang X, et al. MicroRNA-127 Promotes Mesendoderm Differentiation of Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells by Targeting Left-Right Determination Factor 2. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:12126-35 pubmed publisher..Using luciferase reporter assay, left-right determination factor 2 (Lefty2), an antagonist of nodal, is identified to be a novel target of miR-127...
- Peterson A, Wang X, Yost H. Dvr1 transfers left-right asymmetric signals from Kupffer's vesicle to lateral plate mesoderm in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;382:198-208 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Dvr1 is responsible for enabling the transfer of a left-right signal from KV to the LPM...
- Solnica Krezel L. Vertebrate development: taming the nodal waves. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R7-9 pubmed
- Rohr S, Otten C, Abdelilah Seyfried S. Asymmetric involution of the myocardial field drives heart tube formation in zebrafish. Circ Res. 2008;102:e12-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, establishment of basic cardiac cell shapes precedes cardiac function. Together, these results provide the framework for the integration of single cell behaviors during the formation of the vertebrate primary heart tube. ..
- John L, Trengove M, Fraser F, Yoong S, Ward A. Pegasus, the 'atypical' Ikaros family member, influences left-right asymmetry and regulates pitx2 expression. Dev Biol. 2013;377:46-54 pubmed publisher..of Pegasus affected both the level and asymmetry of pitx2 expression, as well as disrupting the asymmetry of the lefty2 and spaw genes, explaining the perturbed left-right patterning in pegasus morphants...
- Tian T, Zhao L, Zhang M, Zhao X, Meng A. Both foxj1a and foxj1b are implicated in left-right asymmetric development in zebrafish embryos. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;380:537-42 pubmed publisher..morpholino at the one-cell stage results in randomized expression of the early left-right (LR) asymmetric markers lefty2, southpaw, pitx2c and the later internal organ markers tpm4-tv1, cmlc2, cp in zebrafish embryos...
- Noël E, Verhoeven M, Lagendijk A, Tessadori F, Smith K, Choorapoikayil S, et al. A Nodal-independent and tissue-intrinsic mechanism controls heart-looping chirality. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2754 pubmed publisher..We find that Nodal signalling regulates actin gene expression, supporting a model in which Nodal signalling amplifies this tissue-intrinsic mechanism of heart looping. ..
- Wang L, Liu Z, Lin H, Ma D, Tao Q, Liu F. Epigenetic regulation of left-right asymmetry by DNA methylation. EMBO J. 2017;36:2987-2997 pubmed publisher..Mechanistically, loss of dnmt1 function induces hypomethylation of the lefty2 gene enhancer and promotes lefty2 expression, which consequently represses Nodal signaling in zebrafish ..
- Schneider I, Houston D, Rebagliati M, Slusarski D. Calcium fluxes in dorsal forerunner cells antagonize beta-catenin and alter left-right patterning. Development. 2008;135:75-84 pubmed..As in zebrafish, manipulation of Ca(2+) release results in ectopic nuclear beta-catenin and altered laterality. Overall, our data support a conserved early Ca(2+) requirement in DFC-like cell function in zebrafish and Xenopus. ..
- Yen H, Tayeh M, Mullins R, Stone E, Sheffield V, Slusarski D. Bardet-Biedl syndrome genes are important in retrograde intracellular trafficking and Kupffer's vesicle cilia function. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:667-77 pubmed..These studies are the first to comprehensively compare the diverse group of BBS genes in parallel and demonstrate a common role in intracellular trafficking, indicating that BBS proteins are involved in general organelle trafficking. ..
- Baker K, Holtzman N, Burdine R. Direct and indirect roles for Nodal signaling in two axis conversions during asymmetric morphogenesis of the zebrafish heart. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:13924-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Nodal signaling directs asymmetric cardiac morphogenesis through establishing and subsequently reinforcing laterality information over the course of cardiac development. ..
- Lin X, Duan X, Liang Y, Su Y, Wrighton K, Long J, et al. PPM1A functions as a Smad phosphatase to terminate TGFbeta signaling. Cell. 2006;125:915-28 pubmed..This work demonstrates that PPM1A/PP2Calpha, through dephosphorylation of Smad2/3, plays a critical role in terminating TGFbeta signaling. ..
- Pi Roig A, Martin Blanco E, Minguillon C. Distinct tissue-specific requirements for the zebrafish tbx5 genes during heart, retina and pectoral fin development. Open Biol. 2014;4:140014 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we uncover a novel role for tbx5 genes in the establishment of correct heart asymmetry in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Sobral D, Tassy O, Lemaire P. Highly divergent gene expression programs can lead to similar chordate larval body plans. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2014-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, a broad divergence in gene expression profiles is compatible with the conservation of similar body plans across large evolutionary distances. ..
- TARGOFF K, Schell T, Yelon D. Nkx genes regulate heart tube extension and exert differential effects on ventricular and atrial cell number. Dev Biol. 2008;322:314-21 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that morphogenetic errors could originate during early stages of heart tube assembly in patients with NKX2-5 mutations. ..
- Müller I, Melville D, Tanwar V, Rybski W, Mukherjee A, Shoemaker M, et al. Functional modeling in zebrafish demonstrates that the atrial-fibrillation-associated gene GREM2 regulates cardiac laterality, cardiomyocyte differentiation and atrial rhythm. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:332-41 pubmed publisher..These results implicate, for the first time, regulators of BMP signaling in human AF, providing mechanistic insights into the pathogenesis of the disease and identifying potential new therapeutic targets. ..
- Lai S, Yao W, Tsao K, Houben A, Albers H, Ovaa H, et al. Autotaxin/Lpar3 signaling regulates Kupffer's vesicle formation and left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. Development. 2012;139:4439-48 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a major role for the Atx/Lpar3 signaling axis in regulating KV formation, ciliogenesis and L-R asymmetry via a Wnt-dependent pathway. ..
- Xu P, Zhu K, Jin Y, Chen Y, Sun X, Deng M, et al. Setdb2 restricts dorsal organizer territory and regulates left-right asymmetry through suppressing fgf8 activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:2521-6 pubmed publisher..These results provide unique evidence that a SET domain-containing protein potentially involved in the epigenetic control negatively regulates dorsal organizer formation during early embryonic development. ..
- Mizoguchi T, Izawa T, Kuroiwa A, Kikuchi Y. Fgf signaling negatively regulates Nodal-dependent endoderm induction in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;300:612-22 pubmed..Altogether, these results suggest that Fgf signaling negatively regulates endoderm induction, possibly through repression of cas expression and down-regulation of Cas function. ..
- Takeuchi J, Lickert H, Bisgrove B, Sun X, Yamamoto M, Chawengsaksophak K, et al. Baf60c is a nuclear Notch signaling component required for the establishment of left-right asymmetry. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:846-51 pubmed..Brg1 is also required for these processes, suggesting that BAF complexes are key components of nuclear Notch signaling. We propose a critical role for Baf60c in Notch-dependent transcription and LR asymmetry. ..
- Lahvic J, Ji Y, Marín P, Zuflacht J, Springel M, Wosen J, et al. Small heat shock proteins are necessary for heart migration and laterality determination in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;384:166-80 pubmed publisher..the nodal-related gene southpaw (spaw) in the lateral plate mesoderm, and its downstream targets pitx2, lefty1 and lefty2. Partial depletion of hspb7 causes concordant heart, brain and visceral laterality defects, indicating that loss ..
- Danilova N, Sakamoto K, Lin S. Ribosomal protein S19 deficiency in zebrafish leads to developmental abnormalities and defective erythropoiesis through activation of p53 protein family. Blood. 2008;112:5228-37 pubmed publisher..Ribosomal stress syndromes represent a broader spectrum of human congenital diseases caused by genotoxic stress; therefore, imbalance of p53 family members may become a new target for therapeutics. ..
- Lagadec R, Laguerre L, Menuet A, Amara A, Rocancourt C, PÃ©ricard P, et al. The ancestral role of nodal signalling in breaking L/R symmetry in the vertebrate forebrain. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6686 pubmed publisher..These data support an ancient origin of epithalamic asymmetry, and suggest that a nodal-dependent asymmetry programme operated in the forebrain of ancestral vertebrates before evolving into a variable trait in bony fish. ..
- Woo S, Housley M, Weiner O, Stainier D. Nodal signaling regulates endodermal cell motility and actin dynamics via Rac1 and Prex1. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:941-52 pubmed publisher..Together, our results reveal a novel role for Nodal signaling in regulating actin dynamics and migration behavior, which are crucial for endodermal morphogenesis and cell fate decisions. ..
- Zhou W, Dai J, Attanasio M, Hildebrandt F. Nephrocystin-3 is required for ciliary function in zebrafish embryos. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;299:F55-62 pubmed publisher..Thus nphp3, cooperating with nphp2/inversin, plays an essential role related to ciliary function, and the knockdown provides an animal model that may be used for studies of the pathogenesis and therapy for this disease. ..
- Lee M, Hwang K, Oh H, Ji Ae K, Kim H, Cho H, et al. IFT46 plays an essential role in cilia development. Dev Biol. 2015;400:248-57 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrated that IFT46 has an essential role in vertebrate ciliary development. ..
- Pfaff K, Straub C, Chiang K, Bear D, Zhou Y, Zon L. The zebra fish cassiopeia mutant reveals that SIL is required for mitotic spindle organization. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:5887-97 pubmed..Furthermore, short hairpin RNA knockdown of SIL in human cells recapitulates the zebrafish csp mitotic spindle defects. These data, taken together, identify SIL as a novel, vertebrate-specific regulator of mitotic spindle assembly. ..
- Fuller K, O Connell J, Gordon J, Mauti O, EGGENSCHWILER J. Rab23 regulates Nodal signaling in vertebrate left-right patterning independently of the Hedgehog pathway. Dev Biol. 2014;391:182-95 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that Rab23 is an essential component of the mechanism that transmits asymmetric patterning information from the node to the LPM. ..
- Smith K, Chocron S, von der Hardt S, de Pater E, Soufan A, Bussmann J, et al. Rotation and asymmetric development of the zebrafish heart requires directed migration of cardiac progenitor cells. Dev Cell. 2008;14:287-97 pubmed publisher..Together, these results support a model in which CPCs migrate toward a BMP source during development of the linear heart tube, providing a mechanism by which the left-right axis drives asymmetric development of the vertebrate heart. ..
- Narasimhan V, Hjeij R, Vij S, Loges N, Wallmeier J, Koerner Rettberg C, et al. Mutations in CCDC11, which encodes a coiled-coil containing ciliary protein, causes situs inversus due to dysmotility of monocilia in the left-right organizer. Hum Mutat. 2015;36:307-18 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first ciliary component, which has a differential localization and function in different kinds of motile cilia. ..
- Dutta S, Sriskanda S, Boobalan E, Alur R, Elkahloun A, Brooks B. nlz1 is required for cilia formation in zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2015;406:203-11 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Nlz1 contributes to motile cilia formation by positively regulating Wnt11/presumed non-canonical Wnt signaling. Together, our data suggest a novel role of nlz1 in ciliogenesis and the morphogenesis of multiple tissues. ..