Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: lft1
Alias: antivin, atv, cb73, ik:tdsubc_2b12, xx:tdsubc_2b12, lefty1
- Ro H, Dawid I. Lnx-2b restricts gsc expression to the dorsal mesoderm by limiting Nodal and Bozozok activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;402:626-30 pubmed publisher..This report provides a novel mechanism for limiting dorsal organizer specification to a defined region of the early zebrafish embryo. ..
- Carl M, Bianco I, Bajoghli B, Aghaallaei N, Czerny T, Wilson S. Wnt/Axin1/beta-catenin signaling regulates asymmetric nodal activation, elaboration, and concordance of CNS asymmetries. Neuron. 2007;55:393-405 pubmed..We identify a second role for the Wnt pathway in the left/right regulation of LPM Nodal pathway gene expression, and finally, we show that at later stages Axin1 is required for the elaboration of concordant neuroanatomical asymmetries. ..
- Schottenfeld J, Sullivan Brown J, Burdine R. Zebrafish curly up encodes a Pkd2 ortholog that restricts left-side-specific expression of southpaw. Development. 2007;134:1605-15 pubmed..pkd2 also appears to play a role in the propagation of Nodal signals in the LPM. Based on morpholino studies, we propose an additional role for maternal pkd2 in general mesendoderm patterning. ..
- Concha M, Burdine R, Russell C, Schier A, Wilson S. A nodal signaling pathway regulates the laterality of neuroanatomical asymmetries in the zebrafish forebrain. Neuron. 2000;28:399-409 pubmed..This indicates that Nodal signaling is not required for asymmetric development per se but is essential to determine the laterality of the asymmetry. ..
- Ciruna B, Jenny A, Lee D, Mlodzik M, Schier A. Planar cell polarity signalling couples cell division and morphogenesis during neurulation. Nature. 2006;439:220-4 pubmed..These results reveal a function for PCP signalling in coupling cell division and morphogenesis at neurulation and indicate a previously unrecognized mechanism that might underlie NTDs. ..
- Feldman B, Concha M, Saude L, Parsons M, Adams R, Wilson S, et al. Lefty antagonism of Squint is essential for normal gastrulation. Curr Biol. 2002;12:2129-35 pubmed..The zebrafish Nodal-related ligands, Squint and Cyclops, and their antagonists, Lefty1 and Lefty2, belong to the TGFbeta-related protein superfamily, whose members have widespread biological activities...
- Slagle C, Aoki T, Burdine R. Nodal-dependent mesendoderm specification requires the combinatorial activities of FoxH1 and Eomesodermin. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002072 pubmed publisher..Our findings also offer novel insights into the co-evolution of the Nodal signaling pathway, the notochord specification program, and the chordate branch of the deuterostome family of animals. ..
- Wang X, Yost H. Initiation and propagation of posterior to anterior (PA) waves in zebrafish left-right development. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3640-7 pubmed publisher..timing of the posterior to anterior (PA) wave-like propagation of zebrafish southpaw (Nodal) and pitx2 in LPM and lefty1 in the midline...
- Concha M, Russell C, Regan J, Tawk M, Sidi S, Gilmour D, et al. Local tissue interactions across the dorsal midline of the forebrain establish CNS laterality. Neuron. 2003;39:423-38 pubmed..Unilateral modulation of Nodal activity by Lefty1 can also impose the direction of CNS laterality in embryos with bilateral expression of Nodal pathway genes...
- Bisgrove B, Snarr B, Emrazian A, Yost H. Polaris and Polycystin-2 in dorsal forerunner cells and Kupffer's vesicle are required for specification of the zebrafish left-right axis. Dev Biol. 2005;287:274-88 pubmed..of Polaris or Pkd2 in zebrafish results in misexpression of left-side-specific genes, including southpaw, lefty1 and lefty2, and randomization of heart and gut looping...
- Hashimoto H, Rebagliati M, Ahmad N, Muraoka O, Kurokawa T, Hibi M, et al. The Cerberus/Dan-family protein Charon is a negative regulator of Nodal signaling during left-right patterning in zebrafish. Development. 2004;131:1741-53 pubmed publisher..elicited phenotypes similar to those of mutant embryos defective in Nodal signaling or embryos overexpressing Antivin(Atv)/Lefty1, an inhibitor for Nodal and Activin...
- Du S, Draper B, Mione M, Moens C, Bruce A. Differential regulation of epiboly initiation and progression by zebrafish Eomesodermin A. Dev Biol. 2012;362:11-23 pubmed publisher..We also show that Eomesa is required for normal expression of the endoderm markers sox32, bon and og9x; however it is not essential for endoderm formation. ..
- Chocron S, Verhoeven M, Rentzsch F, Hammerschmidt M, Bakkers J. Zebrafish Bmp4 regulates left-right asymmetry at two distinct developmental time points. Dev Biol. 2007;305:577-88 pubmed..The identification of these two distinct and opposing activities of BMP signaling provides new insight into how BMP signaling can regulate LR patterning. ..
- Amack J, Wang X, Yost H. Two T-box genes play independent and cooperative roles to regulate morphogenesis of ciliated Kupffer's vesicle in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:196-210 pubmed..By targeting morpholinos to DFCs, we show that these cell autonomous functions in KV morphogenesis are necessary for LR patterning throughout the embryo. ..
- Yamauchi H, Miyakawa N, Miyake A, Itoh N. Fgf4 is required for left-right patterning of visceral organs in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;332:177-85 pubmed publisher..b>Lefty1, lefty2, southpaw, and pitx2 are known to play crucial roles in LR patterning of visceral organs...
- Harvey S, Tümpel S, Dubrulle J, Schier A, Smith J. no tail integrates two modes of mesoderm induction. Development. 2010;137:1127-35 pubmed publisher..At later stages in development ntl is required for notochord formation, and our analysis has also led to the identification of the enhancer required for ntl expression in the developing notochord. ..
- Monteiro R, Van Dinther M, Bakkers J, Wilkinson R, Patient R, Ten Dijke P, et al. Two novel type II receptors mediate BMP signalling and are required to establish left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2008;315:55-71 pubmed publisher..We demonstrated that bmpr2a is required for lefty1 expression in the midline at early segmentation while bmpr2a/bmpr2b heteromers mediate left-sided spaw expression ..
- Zhang Y, Li X, Qi J, Wang J, Liu X, Zhang H, et al. Rock2 controls TGFbeta signaling and inhibits mesoderm induction in zebrafish embryos. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2197-207 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data have unraveled previously unidentified functions of Rock2, in controlling TGFbeta signaling as well as in regulating embryonic patterning. ..
- Alexander J, Stainier D. A molecular pathway leading to endoderm formation in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 1999;9:1147-57 pubmed
- Tay H, Schulze S, Compagnon J, Foley F, Heisenberg C, Yost H, et al. Lethal giant larvae 2 regulates development of the ciliated organ Kupffer's vesicle. Development. 2013;140:1550-9 pubmed publisher..These results uncover new roles and interactions for Lgl2 that are crucial for both lumenogenesis and ciliogenesis and indicate that these processes are genetically separable in zebrafish. ..
- Serluca F, Xu B, Okabe N, Baker K, Lin S, Sullivan Brown J, et al. Mutations in zebrafish leucine-rich repeat-containing six-like affect cilia motility and result in pronephric cysts, but have variable effects on left-right patterning. Development. 2009;136:1621-31 pubmed publisher..Combined with recently published results, our alleles suggest that the function of seahorse in cilia motility is separable from its function in other cilia-related phenotypes. ..
- Schneider I, Houston D, Rebagliati M, Slusarski D. Calcium fluxes in dorsal forerunner cells antagonize beta-catenin and alter left-right patterning. Development. 2008;135:75-84 pubmed..As in zebrafish, manipulation of Ca(2+) release results in ectopic nuclear beta-catenin and altered laterality. Overall, our data support a conserved early Ca(2+) requirement in DFC-like cell function in zebrafish and Xenopus. ..
- Meno C, Gritsman K, Ohishi S, Ohfuji Y, Heckscher E, Mochida K, et al. Mouse Lefty2 and zebrafish antivin are feedback inhibitors of nodal signaling during vertebrate gastrulation. Mol Cell. 1999;4:287-98 pubmedMammalian lefty and zebrafish antivin form a subgroup of the TGF beta superfamily...
- Inbal A, Kim S, Shin J, Solnica Krezel L. Six3 represses nodal activity to establish early brain asymmetry in zebrafish. Neuron. 2007;55:407-15 pubmed..Our data reveal a Six3-dependent mechanism for establishment of correct brain laterality and provide an entry point to understanding the genetic regulation of Nodal signaling in the brain. ..
- Shimizu T, Yamanaka Y, Ryu S, Hashimoto H, Yabe T, Hirata T, et al. Cooperative roles of Bozozok/Dharma and Nodal-related proteins in the formation of the dorsal organizer in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2000;91:293-303 pubmed
- Hagos E, Dougan S. Time-dependent patterning of the mesoderm and endoderm by Nodal signals in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:22 pubmed
- Solnica Krezel L. Vertebrate development: taming the nodal waves. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R7-9 pubmed
- Zhao C, Malicki J. Genetic defects of pronephric cilia in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2007;124:605-16 pubmed..Mutants characterized in this study reveal intriguing genetic differences between subpopulations of embryonic cilia, and provide an opportunity to study several aspects of cilia structure and function. ..
- Neugebauer J, Amack J, Peterson A, Bisgrove B, Yost H. FGF signalling during embryo development regulates cilia length in diverse epithelia. Nature. 2009;458:651-4 pubmed publisher..We propose that a subset of developmental defects and diseases ascribed to FGF signalling are due in part to loss of cilia function. ..
- Keegan B, Meyer D, Yelon D. Organization of cardiac chamber progenitors in the zebrafish blastula. Development. 2004;131:3081-91 pubmed..Indeed, via fate mapping, we demonstrate that Nodal signaling promotes ventricular fate specification near the margin, thereby playing an important early role during myocardial patterning...
- Schötz E, Burdine R, Jülicher F, Steinberg M, Heisenberg C, Foty R. Quantitative differences in tissue surface tension influence zebrafish germ layer positioning. HFSP J. 2008;2:42-56 pubmed publisher..We perform a mathematical analysis indicating that tissue interfacial tension between actively motile cells contributes to the spatial organization and dynamics of these zebrafish germ layers in vivo. ..
- Aizawa H, Bianco I, Hamaoka T, Miyashita T, Uemura O, Concha M, et al. Laterotopic representation of left-right information onto the dorso-ventral axis of a zebrafish midbrain target nucleus. Curr Biol. 2005;15:238-43 pubmed
- Jin D, Ni T, Sun J, Wan H, Amack J, Yu G, et al. Prostaglandin signalling regulates ciliogenesis by modulating intraflagellar transport. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:841-51 pubmed publisher..These findings lead us to propose that Lkt/ABCC4-mediated PGE2 signalling acts through a ciliary G-protein-coupled receptor, EP4, to upregulate cAMP synthesis and increase anterograde IFT, thereby promoting ciliogenesis. ..
- Kapp L, Abrams E, Marlow F, Mullins M. The integrator complex subunit 6 (Ints6) confines the dorsal organizer in vertebrate embryogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003822 pubmed publisher..Our results are consistent with a novel role for Ints6 in restricting the vertebrate organizer to a dorsal domain in embryonic patterning...
- Colombo A, Palma K, Armijo L, Mione M, Signore I, Morales C, et al. Daam1a mediates asymmetric habenular morphogenesis by regulating dendritic and axonal outgrowth. Development. 2013;140:3997-4007 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Daam1a plays a key role in asymmetric habenular morphogenesis mediating the growth of dendritic and axonal processes in dorsal habenular neurons. ..
- Rogers K, Lord N, Gagnon J, Pauli A, Zimmerman S, Aksel D, et al. Nodal patterning without Lefty inhibitory feedback is functional but fragile. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..These results indicate that patterning without inhibitory feedback is functional but fragile. ..
- Takeuchi J, Lickert H, Bisgrove B, Sun X, Yamamoto M, Chawengsaksophak K, et al. Baf60c is a nuclear Notch signaling component required for the establishment of left-right asymmetry. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:846-51 pubmed..Brg1 is also required for these processes, suggesting that BAF complexes are key components of nuclear Notch signaling. We propose a critical role for Baf60c in Notch-dependent transcription and LR asymmetry. ..
- Norris M, Pauli A, Gagnon J, Lord N, Rogers K, Mosimann C, et al. Toddler signaling regulates mesodermal cell migration downstream of Nodal signaling. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Toddler signaling regulates mesodermal cell migration downstream of Nodal signaling and indirectly affects endodermal cell migration via Cxcr4a-signaling. ..
- Hashimoto H, Itoh M, Yamanaka Y, Yamashita S, Shimizu T, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Zebrafish Dkk1 functions in forebrain specification and axial mesendoderm formation. Dev Biol. 2000;217:138-52 pubmed..Overexpression of dkk1 promoted anterior neuroectoderm development in the embryos injected with antivin RNA, which lack most of the mesoderm and endoderm, suggesting that Dkk1 can affect regionalization of ..
- Hirata T, Yamanaka Y, Ryu S, Shimizu T, Yabe T, Hibi M, et al. Novel mix-family homeobox genes in zebrafish and their differential regulation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;271:603-9 pubmed..mtx1 expression was not regulated by either Wnt or Nodal signals. This is in complete contrast to the Nodal signal-dependent expression of mixer. These results indicate the complexity of the regulation of mix-type homeobox genes. ..
- Burkhalter M, Fralish G, Premont R, Caron M, Philipp M. Grk5l controls heart development by limiting mTOR signaling during symmetry breaking. Cell Rep. 2013;4:625-32 pubmed publisher..These findings could implicate GRK5 as a susceptibility allele for certain cases of CHD. ..
- Muller P, Rogers K, Jordan B, Lee J, Robson D, Ramanathan S, et al. Differential diffusivity of Nodal and Lefty underlies a reaction-diffusion patterning system. Science. 2012;336:721-4 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that differential diffusivity is the major determinant of the differences in Nodal/Lefty range and provide biophysical support for reaction-diffusion models of activator/inhibitor-mediated patterning. ..
- Manoli M, Driever W. nkx2.1 and nkx2.4 genes function partially redundant during development of the zebrafish hypothalamus, preoptic region, and pallidum. Front Neuroanat. 2014;8:145 pubmed publisher..1 is specifically involved in the development of rostral ventral forebrain including the pallidum and preoptic regions, whereas nkx2.4a and nkx2.4b control the intermediate and caudal hypothalamus. ..
- Hatler J, Essner J, Johnson R. A gap junction connexin is required in the vertebrate left-right organizer. Dev Biol. 2009;336:183-91 pubmed publisher..4 during L-R patterning. This is the first report linking connexin function in the ciliated, node-like cells of KV with normal L-R axis development. ..
- Snelson C, Santhakumar K, Halpern M, Gamse J. Tbx2b is required for the development of the parapineal organ. Development. 2008;135:1693-702 pubmed publisher..We conclude that tbx2b functions to specify the correct number of parapineal cells and to regulate their asymmetric migration. ..
- Wang L, Liu Z, Lin H, Ma D, Tao Q, Liu F. Epigenetic regulation of left-right asymmetry by DNA methylation. EMBO J. 2017;36:2987-2997 pubmed publisher..1 regulates collective DFC migration through cadherin 1 (Cdh1). Taken together, our data uncover dynamic DNA methylation as an epigenetic mechanism to control LR determination during early embryogenesis in vertebrates. ..
- Liu X, Ma Y, Zhang C, Wei S, Cao Y, Wang Q. Nodal promotes mir206 expression to control convergence and extension movements during zebrafish gastrulation. J Genet Genomics. 2013;40:515-21 pubmed publisher..Our study uncovers a novel mechanism by which Nodal-regulated mir206 modulates gastrulation movements in connection with the Snail/E-cadherin pathway...
- Peterson A, Wang X, Yost H. Dvr1 transfers left-right asymmetric signals from Kupffer's vesicle to lateral plate mesoderm in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;382:198-208 pubmed publisher..or absent expression of southpaw (spaw, a Nodal homolog), in LPM, and corresponding loss of downstream Lefty (lft1 and lft) expression, and aberrant brain and heart LR patterning...
- Fogelgren B, Lin S, Zuo X, Jaffe K, Park K, Reichert R, et al. The exocyst protein Sec10 interacts with Polycystin-2 and knockdown causes PKD-phenotypes. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001361 pubmed publisher..Our work supports a model in which the exocyst is required for the ciliary localization of polycystin-2, thus allowing for polycystin-2 function in cellular processes. ..
- Liu D, Hsu C, Tsai S, Hsiao C, Wang W. A variant of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (Fgfr2) regulates left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21793 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, lefty1 was not expressed in the posterior notochord, indicating that the molecular midline barrier had been disrupted...
- Neugebauer J, Cadwallader A, Amack J, Bisgrove B, Yost H. Differential roles for 3-OSTs in the regulation of cilia length and motility. Development. 2013;140:3892-902 pubmed publisher..We propose that individual 3-OST isozymes create distinct modified domains or 'glycocodes' on cell surface proteoglycans, which in turn regulate the response to diverse cell signaling pathways. ..
- Fuller K, O Connell J, Gordon J, Mauti O, EGGENSCHWILER J. Rab23 regulates Nodal signaling in vertebrate left-right patterning independently of the Hedgehog pathway. Dev Biol. 2014;391:182-95 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that Rab23 is an essential component of the mechanism that transmits asymmetric patterning information from the node to the LPM. ..
- Sarmah B, Latimer A, Appel B, Wente S. Inositol polyphosphates regulate zebrafish left-right asymmetry. Dev Cell. 2005;9:133-45 pubmed..Our data suggest that the pathway for inositol hexakisphosphate production is a key regulator of asymmetric Ca(2+) flux during LR specification. ..
- Lee M, Hwang K, Oh H, Ji Ae K, Kim H, Cho H, et al. IFT46 plays an essential role in cilia development. Dev Biol. 2015;400:248-57 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrated that IFT46 has an essential role in vertebrate ciliary development. ..
- Moreno Ayala R, Schnabel D, Salas Vidal E, LomelÃ H. PIAS-like protein Zimp7 is required for the restriction of the zebrafish organizer and mesoderm development. Dev Biol. 2015;403:89-100 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings indicate that Zimp7 is involved in transcriptional regulation of factors that are essential for patterning in the dorsoventral axis. ..
- Zhou W, Dai J, Attanasio M, Hildebrandt F. Nephrocystin-3 is required for ciliary function in zebrafish embryos. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;299:F55-62 pubmed publisher..Thus nphp3, cooperating with nphp2/inversin, plays an essential role related to ciliary function, and the knockdown provides an animal model that may be used for studies of the pathogenesis and therapy for this disease. ..
- Araya C, Tawk M, Girdler G, Costa M, Carmona Fontaine C, Clarke J. Mesoderm is required for coordinated cell movements within zebrafish neural plate in vivo. Neural Dev. 2014;9:9 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the underlying mesoderm is required for these coordinated cell movements in the zebrafish neural plate in vivo. ..
- Yan Y, Gritsman K, Ding J, Burdine R, Corrales J, Price S, et al. Conserved requirement for EGF-CFC genes in vertebrate left-right axis formation. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2527-37 pubmed..In both Cryptic and oep mutant embryos, L-R asymmetric expression of Nodal/cyclops, Lefty2/antivin, and Pitx2 does not occur in the lateral plate mesoderm, while in Cryptic mutants Lefty1 expression is absent ..
- Ellertsdottir E, Ganz J, Durr K, Loges N, Biemar F, Seifert F, et al. A mutation in the zebrafish Na,K-ATPase subunit atp1a1a.1 provides genetic evidence that the sodium potassium pump contributes to left-right asymmetry downstream or in parallel to nodal flow. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1794-808 pubmed..Therefore, the Na,K-ATPase is required downstream or in parallel to monocilia function during initiation of left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. ..
- Mizoguchi T, Izawa T, Kuroiwa A, Kikuchi Y. Fgf signaling negatively regulates Nodal-dependent endoderm induction in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;300:612-22 pubmed..Altogether, these results suggest that Fgf signaling negatively regulates endoderm induction, possibly through repression of cas expression and down-regulation of Cas function. ..
- Lai S, Yao W, Tsao K, Houben A, Albers H, Ovaa H, et al. Autotaxin/Lpar3 signaling regulates Kupffer's vesicle formation and left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. Development. 2012;139:4439-48 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a major role for the Atx/Lpar3 signaling axis in regulating KV formation, ciliogenesis and L-R asymmetry via a Wnt-dependent pathway. ..
- Hashiguchi M, Shinya M, Tokumoto M, Sakai N. Nodal/Bozozok-independent induction of the dorsal organizer by zebrafish cell lines. Dev Biol. 2008;321:387-96 pubmed publisher..Finally, the Nodal signaling pathway was not activated following implantation of cultured cells. Collectively, these data suggest that zebrafish cell lines induce the dorsal organizer independent of the boz and Nodal signaling pathways. ..
- Sobral D, Tassy O, Lemaire P. Highly divergent gene expression programs can lead to similar chordate larval body plans. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2014-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, a broad divergence in gene expression profiles is compatible with the conservation of similar body plans across large evolutionary distances. ..