Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: isl1
Description: ISL LIM homeobox 1
Alias: Isl-1, islet-1, insulin gene enhancer protein isl-1, islet1
- Olesnicky E, Hernandez Lagunas L, Artinger K. prdm1a Regulates sox10 and islet1 in the development of neural crest and Rohon-Beard sensory neurons. Genesis. 2010;48:656-66 pubmed publisher..Rescue analysis determined that two of these, sox10 and islet1, lie downstream of Prdm1a in the development of neural crest cells and RB neurons, respectively...
- Zhang C, Li Q, Lim C, Qiu X, Jiang Y. The characterization of zebrafish antimorphic mib alleles reveals that Mib and Mind bomb-2 (Mib2) function redundantly. Dev Biol. 2007;305:14-27 pubmed..It was also shown that Notch signaling negatively regulates mib expression in a Su(H)-dependent manner, forming a negative feedback loop in modulating Notch activation. ..
- Manfroid I, Delporte F, Baudhuin A, Motte P, Neumann C, Voz M, et al. Reciprocal endoderm-mesoderm interactions mediated by fgf24 and fgf10 govern pancreas development. Development. 2007;134:4011-21 pubmed..Based on the expression of isl1, fgf10 and meis genes, this tissue is analogous to the murine pancreatic mesenchyme...
- Masai I, Heisenberg C, Barth K, Macdonald R, Adamek S, Wilson S. floating head and masterblind regulate neuronal patterning in the roof of the forebrain. Neuron. 1997;18:43-57 pubmed..We propose a role for Flh in linking the signaling pathways that regulate regional patterning to the signaling pathways that regulate neurogenesis. ..
- Ohata S, Kinoshita S, Aoki R, Tanaka H, Wada H, Tsuruoka Kinoshita S, et al. Neuroepithelial cells require fucosylated glycans to guide the migration of vagus motor neuron progenitors in the developing zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2009;136:1653-63 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that fucosylated glycans expressed in neuroepithelial cells are required to guide the migration of vagus motor neuron progenitors. ..
- Appel B, Korzh V, Glasgow E, Thor S, Edlund T, Dawid I, et al. Motoneuron fate specification revealed by patterned LIM homeobox gene expression in embryonic zebrafish. Development. 1995;121:4117-25 pubmed
- Hutchinson S, Cheesman S, Hale L, Boone J, Eisen J. Nkx6 proteins specify one zebrafish primary motoneuron subtype by regulating late islet1 expression. Development. 2007;134:1671-7 pubmed..Here, we use individually identified zebrafish primary motoneurons to describe a novel role for Nkx6 and Islet1 proteins in the specification of vertebrate motoneuron subtypes...
- Hans S, Scheer N, Riedl I, v Weizsäcker E, Blader P, Campos Ortega J. her3, a zebrafish member of the hairy-E(spl) family, is repressed by Notch signalling. Development. 2004;131:2957-69 pubmed..Moreover, Her3 represses its own transcription as well. Surprisingly, and in sharp contrast to other members of the E(spl) gene family, transcription of her3 is repressed rather than activated by Notch signalling. ..
- de Pater E, Clijsters L, Marques S, Lin Y, Garavito Aguilar Z, Yelon D, et al. Distinct phases of cardiomyocyte differentiation regulate growth of the zebrafish heart. Development. 2009;136:1633-41 pubmed publisher..a continuous wave of cardiomyocyte differentiation begins in the ventricle, ends in the atrium, and requires Islet1 for its completion...
- Kloosterman W, Lagendijk A, Ketting R, Moulton J, Plasterk R. Targeted inhibition of miRNA maturation with morpholinos reveals a role for miR-375 in pancreatic islet development. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e203 pubmed..The miRNA knockdown strategy presented here will be widely used to unravel miRNA function in zebrafish. ..
- Tessadori F, van Weerd J, Burkhard S, Verkerk A, de Pater E, Boukens B, et al. Identification and functional characterization of cardiac pacemaker cells in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47644 pubmed publisher..from cardiac progenitors expressing the transcription factors T-box transcription factor 3 (Tbx3) and Islet-1 (Isl1)...
- Cau E, Quillien A, Blader P. Notch resolves mixed neural identities in the zebrafish epiphysis. Development. 2008;135:2391-401 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel model in which Notch resolves mixed neural identities by repressing an undesired genetic program. ..
- Miyake A, Nakayama Y, Konishi M, Itoh N. Fgf19 regulated by Hh signaling is required for zebrafish forebrain development. Dev Biol. 2005;288:259-75 pubmed..The present findings indicate that Fgf19 signaling is crucial for forebrain development by interacting with Hh and provide new insights into the roles of Fgf signaling in brain development. ..
- Nguyen V, Trout J, Connors S, Andermann P, Weinberg E, Mullins M. Dorsal and intermediate neuronal cell types of the spinal cord are established by a BMP signaling pathway. Development. 2000;127:1209-20 pubmed
- Soyer J, Flasse L, Raffelsberger W, Beucher A, Orvain C, Peers B, et al. Rfx6 is an Ngn3-dependent winged helix transcription factor required for pancreatic islet cell development. Development. 2010;137:203-12 pubmed publisher..By contrast, beta cells, whose number is only slightly reduced, were no longer clustered in a compact islet. These data unveil Rfx6 as a novel regulator of islet cell development. ..
- Becker T, Ostendorff H, Bossenz M, Schlüter A, Becker C, Peirano R, et al. Multiple functions of LIM domain-binding CLIM/NLI/Ldb cofactors during zebrafish development. Mech Dev. 2002;117:75-85 pubmed..Our results demonstrate multiple roles of the CLIM cofactor family for the development of entire organs, axonal outgrowth of specific neurons and protein expression levels. ..
- Higashijima S, Mandel G, Fetcho J. Distribution of prospective glutamatergic, glycinergic, and GABAergic neurons in embryonic and larval zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2004;480:1-18 pubmed..The differences in the distribution of excitatory and inhibitory neurons in spinal cord versus hindbrain may be tied to differences in their patterns of development and functional organization. ..
- Chow E, Hui M, Lin C, Cheng S. Cadmium inhibits neurogenesis in zebrafish embryonic brain development. Aquat Toxicol. 2008;87:157-69 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that cadmium-induced neurotoxicity can be caused by impaired neurogenesis, resulting in markedly reduced neuronal differentiation and axonogenesis. ..
- Seredick S, Van Ryswyk L, Hutchinson S, Eisen J. Zebrafish Mnx proteins specify one motoneuron subtype and suppress acquisition of interneuron characteristics. Neural Dev. 2012;7:35 pubmed publisher..We previously showed that MiPs require two temporally-distinct phases of Islet1 expression for normal development...
- Witzel H, Jungblut B, Choe C, Crump J, Braun T, Dobreva G. The LIM protein Ajuba restricts the second heart field progenitor pool by regulating Isl1 activity. Dev Cell. 2012;23:58-70 pubmed publisher..Ajuba-deficient zebrafish embryos show an increased pool of Isl1(+) cardiac progenitors and, subsequently, dramatically increased numbers of cardiomyocytes at the arterial and ..
- Arkhipova V, Wendik B, Devos N, Ek O, Peers B, Meyer D. Characterization and regulation of the hb9/mnx1 beta-cell progenitor specific enhancer in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2012;365:290-302 pubmed publisher..The data provide evidence for an Ngn3 independent pathway of beta-cell specification that requires function of currently not specified E-box binding factors...
- Mavropoulos A, Devos N, Biemar F, Zecchin E, Argenton F, Edlund H, et al. sox4b is a key player of pancreatic alpha cell differentiation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;285:211-23 pubmed..Taken together, these data demonstrate that, in zebrafish, sox4b is expressed transiently during endocrine cell differentiation and plays a crucial role in the generation of alpha endocrine cells. ..
- Hammerschmidt M, Bitgood M, McMahon A. Protein kinase A is a common negative regulator of Hedgehog signaling in the vertebrate embryo. Genes Dev. 1996;10:647-58 pubmed..These results, together with epistasis studies on the block of ectopic Hh signaling by PKA*, indicate that PKA acts in target cells as a common negative regulator of Hedgehog signaling. ..
- Takke C, Dornseifer P, v Weizsäcker E, Campos Ortega J. her4, a zebrafish homologue of the Drosophila neurogenic gene E(spl), is a target of NOTCH signalling. Development. 1999;126:1811-21 pubmed..These results suggest that her4 acts as a target of notch-mediated signals that regulate primary neurogenesis. ..
- Tanaka H, Nojima Y, Shoji W, Sato M, Nakayama R, Ohshima T, et al. Islet1 selectively promotes peripheral axon outgrowth in Rohon-Beard primary sensory neurons. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:9-22 pubmed publisher..isolated a novel zebrafish mutant, lullaby (llb), and showed that the llb locus encodes the zebrafish orthologue of isl1. Rohon-Beard (RB) primary sensory neurons are multipolar neurons that extend their central axons longitudinally ..
- Tamme R, Wells S, Conran J, Lardelli M. The identity and distribution of neural cells expressing the mesodermal determinant spadetail. BMC Dev Biol. 2002;2:9 pubmed
- Nakano Y, Kim H, Kawakami A, Roy S, Schier A, Ingham P. Inactivation of dispatched 1 by the chameleon mutation disrupts Hedgehog signalling in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 2004;269:381-92 pubmed
- Bellipanni G, Varga M, Maegawa S, Imai Y, Kelly C, Myers A, et al. Essential and opposing roles of zebrafish beta-catenins in the formation of dorsal axial structures and neurectoderm. Development. 2006;133:1299-309 pubmed..We propose that the early, dorsal-promoting function of beta-catenin-2 is essential to counteract a later, dorsal- and neurectoderm-repressing function that is shared by both beta-catenin genes...
- Feldner J, Becker T, Goishi K, Schweitzer J, Lee P, Schachner M, et al. Neuropilin-1a is involved in trunk motor axon outgrowth in embryonic zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:535-49 pubmed..Thus, neuropilin-1a in primary motor neurons may integrate signals from several ligands and is needed for proper segmental growth of primary motor nerves in zebrafish. ..
- Takamiya M, Campos Ortega J. Hedgehog signalling controls zebrafish neural keel morphogenesis via its level-dependent effects on neurogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:978-97 pubmed..Such differences seem to be created in part by regional effector signalling; the effects of high Hh-signalling on medial neurogenesis can be reversed in accordance to medial Tri/Stbm level, in a polarity independent manner. ..
- Schafer M, Kinzel D, Winkler C. Discontinuous organization and specification of the lateral floor plate in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;301:117-29 pubmed..We conclude that different levels of HH and Nkx2.2 activities are responsible for the alternating appearance of LFP and p3 neuronal progenitor cells in the zebrafish ventral neural tube. ..
- Cheng C, Yan C, Hui C, Strahle U, Cheng S. The homeobox gene irx1a is required for the propagation of the neurogenic waves in the zebrafish retina. Mech Dev. 2006;123:252-63 pubmed..Our results reveal a role for Iroquois genes in controlling hedgehog expression during vertebrate retinogenesis. ..
- Shkumatava A, Fischer S, Muller F, Strahle U, Neumann C. Sonic hedgehog, secreted by amacrine cells, acts as a short-range signal to direct differentiation and lamination in the zebrafish retina. Development. 2004;131:3849-58 pubmed..By performing mosaic analysis, we demonstrate that Shh directs these events as a short-range signal within the neural retina. ..
- Miyake A, Nihno S, Murakoshi Y, Satsuka A, Nakayama Y, Itoh N. Neucrin, a novel secreted antagonist of canonical Wnt signaling, plays roles in developing neural tissues in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2012;128:577-90 pubmed publisher..Neucrin is a unique secreted Wnt antagonist that is predominantly expressed in developing neural tissues and plays roles in neural development in zebrafish. ..
- Pyati U, Webb A, Kimelman D. Transgenic zebrafish reveal stage-specific roles for Bmp signaling in ventral and posterior mesoderm development. Development. 2005;132:2333-43 pubmed..We conclude that the role of Bmp signaling in the ventral and posterior mesoderm changes as gastrulation proceeds. ..
- Barth K, Kishimoto Y, Rohr K, Seydler C, Schulte Merker S, Wilson S. Bmp activity establishes a gradient of positional information throughout the entire neural plate. Development. 1999;126:4977-87 pubmed..These results are consistent with there being a gradient of Bmp-dependent positional information extending throughout the entire neural and non-neural ectoderm. ..
- Begemann G, Marx M, Mebus K, Meyer A, Bastmeyer M. Beyond the neckless phenotype: influence of reduced retinoic acid signaling on motor neuron development in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Biol. 2004;271:119-29 pubmed..In addition, blockage of RA-mediated signaling not only interferes with the differentiation of branchiomotor neurons and their axons in the hindbrain, but also affects the development of the posterior lateral line nerve...
- Odenthal J, van Eeden F, Haffter P, Ingham P, Nusslein Volhard C. Two distinct cell populations in the floor plate of the zebrafish are induced by different pathways. Dev Biol. 2000;219:350-63 pubmed..The number of primary motor neurons is strongly reduced in cyc;syu double mutants, while almost normal in single mutants, suggesting that the two different pathways have overlapping functions in the induction of primary motor neurons. ..
- Batista M, Jacobstein J, Lewis K. Zebrafish V2 cells develop into excitatory CiD and Notch signalling dependent inhibitory VeLD interneurons. Dev Biol. 2008;322:263-75 pubmed publisher..In addition, we demonstrate that Notch signalling is required for V2 cells to develop into V2b cells. In the absence of Notch signalling, all V2b cells develop as V2a cells. ..
- Kikuchi Y, Segawa H, Tokumoto M, Tsubokawa T, Hotta Y, Uyemura K, et al. Ocular and cerebellar defects in zebrafish induced by overexpression of the LIM domains of the islet-3 LIM/homeodomain protein. Neuron. 1997;18:369-82 pubmed
- Hutchinson S, Eisen J. Islet1 and Islet2 have equivalent abilities to promote motoneuron formation and to specify motoneuron subtype identity. Development. 2006;133:2137-47 pubmedThe expression of LIM homeobox genes islet1 and islet2 is tightly regulated during development of zebrafish primary motoneurons. All primary motoneurons express islet1 around the time they exit the cell cycle...
- Binot A, Manfroid I, Flasse L, Winandy M, Motte P, Martial J, et al. Nkx6.1 and nkx6.2 regulate alpha- and beta-cell formation in zebrafish by acting on pancreatic endocrine progenitor cells. Dev Biol. 2010;340:397-407 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our data, we propose a model in which nkx6.1 and nkx6.2, by allowing the establishment of the endocrine progenitor pool, control alpha- and beta-cell differentiation. ..
- McClintock J, Carlson R, Mann D, Prince V. Consequences of Hox gene duplication in the vertebrates: an investigation of the zebrafish Hox paralogue group 1 genes. Development. 2001;128:2471-84 pubmed..We also find that an intriguing function 'shuffling' between paralogues has occurred, such that one of the zebrafish hoxb1 duplicates, hoxb1b, performs the role in hindbrain patterning played in mouse by the non-orthologous Hoxa1 gene. ..
- Higashijima S, Hotta Y, Okamoto H. Visualization of cranial motor neurons in live transgenic zebrafish expressing green fluorescent protein under the control of the islet-1 promoter/enhancer. J Neurosci. 2000;20:206-18 pubmed..This finding suggests that the trigeminal motor neurons in the two clusters adopt distinct fates. In future experiments, this transgenic line of zebrafish will allow for a genetic analysis of cranial motor neuron development. ..
- Kaji T, Artinger K. dlx3b and dlx4b function in the development of Rohon-Beard sensory neurons and trigeminal placode in the zebrafish neurula. Dev Biol. 2004;276:523-40 pubmed..These data suggest that the contribution of dlx3b and dlx4b to neural plate border formation is partially non-cell-autonomous acting via BMP activity. ..
- Cheesman S, Layden M, Von Ohlen T, Doe C, Eisen J. Zebrafish and fly Nkx6 proteins have similar CNS expression patterns and regulate motoneuron formation. Development. 2004;131:5221-32 pubmed..Overexpression of fish or fly Nkx6 is sufficient to generate supernumerary motoneurons in both zebrafish and flies. These results suggest that one ancestral function of Nkx6 proteins was to promote motoneuron development. ..
- Diks S, Bink R, van de Water S, Joore J, van Rooijen C, Verbeek F, et al. The novel gene asb11: a regulator of the size of the neural progenitor compartment. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:581-92 pubmed..We conclude that d-Asb11 is a novel regulator of the neuronal progenitor compartment size by maintaining the neural precursors in the proliferating undifferentiated state possibly through the control of SoxB1 transcription factors. ..
- Lewis K, Eisen J. Paraxial mesoderm specifies zebrafish primary motoneuron subtype identity. Development. 2004;131:891-902 pubmed..Our findings suggest that in the absence of signals from paraxial mesoderm, primary motoneurons have a hybrid identity with respect to gene expression, and that under these conditions the CaP axon trajectory may be dominant. ..
- Kinkel M, Sefton E, Kikuchi Y, Mizoguchi T, Ward A, Prince V. Cyp26 enzymes function in endoderm to regulate pancreatic field size. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:7864-9 pubmed publisher..Such feedback can maintain consistent levels of RA signaling, despite environmental fluctuations in RA concentration, thus ensuring a consistent size and location of the pancreatic field. ..
- Dong P, Munson C, Norton W, Crosnier C, Pan X, Gong Z, et al. Fgf10 regulates hepatopancreatic ductal system patterning and differentiation. Nat Genet. 2007;39:397-402 pubmed..These data shed light onto how the multipotent cells of the foregut endoderm, and subsequently those of the hepatopancreatic duct, are directed toward different organ fates. ..
- Conway G. STAT3-dependent pathfinding and control of axonal branching and target selection. Dev Biol. 2006;296:119-36 pubmed..These results are consistent with and highlight a fundamental role for STAT3 as a factor promoting cellular responses to guidance cues, not only in nonneural cells but also in pathfinding neurons. ..
- Walshe J, Mason I. Unique and combinatorial functions of Fgf3 and Fgf8 during zebrafish forebrain development. Development. 2003;130:4337-49 pubmed..Analysis of embryos treated with an FGFR inhibitor suggests that continuous FGF signalling is required from gastrulation stages for normal forebrain patterning, and identifies additional requirements for FGFR activity. ..
- Li W, Cornell R. Redundant activities of Tfap2a and Tfap2c are required for neural crest induction and development of other non-neural ectoderm derivatives in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;304:338-54 pubmed
- Dornseifer P, Takke C, Campos Ortega J. Overexpression of a zebrafish homologue of the Drosophila neurogenic gene Delta perturbs differentiation of primary neurons and somite development. Mech Dev. 1997;63:159-71 pubmed..This suggests that delta D, and the Notch signalling pathway are involved in the differentiation of primary neurons within the neural plate, as well as in somite development. ..
- Dalgin G, Ward A, Hao L, Beattie C, Nechiporuk A, Prince V. Zebrafish mnx1 controls cell fate choice in the developing endocrine pancreas. Development. 2011;138:4597-608 pubmed publisher..In Mnx1-deficient embryos, precursor cells that are normally destined to differentiate as beta cells instead take on an alpha cell fate. Our findings suggest that Mnx1 functions to promote beta and suppress alpha cell fates...
- Korzh V, Sleptsova I, Liao J, He J, Gong Z. Expression of zebrafish bHLH genes ngn1 and nrd defines distinct stages of neural differentiation. Dev Dyn. 1998;213:92-104 pubmed..This supports the idea that expression of nrd is a necessary step leading toward overt neuronal differentiation. ..
- Kwon H, Riley B. Mesendodermal signals required for otic induction: Bmp-antagonists cooperate with Fgf and can facilitate formation of ectopic otic tissue. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1582-94 pubmed publisher..Developmental Dynamics 238:1582-1594, 2009. (c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..