Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ins
Alias: zgc:109842, insulin, insa
- Arkhipova V, Wendik B, Devos N, Ek O, Peers B, Meyer D. Characterization and regulation of the hb9/mnx1 beta-cell progenitor specific enhancer in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2012;365:290-302 pubmed publisherDifferentiation of insulin producing beta-cells is a genetically well defined process that involves functions of various conserved transcription factors...
- Rai K, Chidester S, Zavala C, Manos E, James S, Karpf A, et al. Dnmt2 functions in the cytoplasm to promote liver, brain, and retina development in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2007;21:261-6 pubmed..Furthermore, zebrafish Dnmt2 methylates an RNA species of approximately 80 bases, consistent with tRNA methylation. Thus, Dnmt2 promotes zebrafish development, likely through cytoplasmic RNA methylation. ..
- Pisharath H, Rhee J, Swanson M, Leach S, Parsons M. Targeted ablation of beta cells in the embryonic zebrafish pancreas using E. coli nitroreductase. Mech Dev. 2007;124:218-29 pubmed
- Nadauld L, Sandoval I, Chidester S, Yost H, Jones D. Adenomatous polyposis coli control of retinoic acid biosynthesis is critical for zebrafish intestinal development and differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:51581-9 pubmed..Our data establish a genetic link supporting a critical role for retinoic acid downstream of APC and confirm the importance of retinoic acid in enterocyte differentiation. ..
- Chen J, Ruan H, Ng S, Gao C, Soo H, Wu W, et al. Loss of function of def selectively up-regulates Delta113p53 expression to arrest expansion growth of digestive organs in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2900-11 pubmed
- Trede N, Medenbach J, Damianov A, Hung L, Weber G, Paw B, et al. Network of coregulated spliceosome components revealed by zebrafish mutant in recycling factor p110. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:6608-13 pubmed..Together, our data demonstrate that a mutation in a general splicing factor can lead to distinct defects in organ development and cause disease. ..
- Farooq M, Sulochana K, Pan X, To J, Sheng D, Gong Z, et al. Histone deacetylase 3 (hdac3) is specifically required for liver development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2008;317:336-53 pubmed publisher..These results revealed a novel and specific role of hdac3 in liver development and the distinct functions between hdac1 and hdac3 in zebrafish embryonic development. ..
- Manfroid I, Ghaye A, Naye F, Detry N, Palm S, Pan L, et al. Zebrafish sox9b is crucial for hepatopancreatic duct development and pancreatic endocrine cell regeneration. Dev Biol. 2012;366:268-78 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, beta cell recovery after specific ablation is severely compromised in sox9b mutant larvae. Our data position sox9b as a key player in the generation of secondary endocrine cells deriving from pancreatic ducts in zebrafish...
- Poulain M, Ober E. Interplay between Wnt2 and Wnt2bb controls multiple steps of early foregut-derived organ development. Development. 2011;138:3557-68 pubmed publisher..Thus, tightly regulated spatiotemporal expression of wnt2bb, wnt2 and fzd5 is central to coordinating early liver, pancreas and swim bladder development from a multipotent foregut endoderm. ..
- Serluca F, Xu B, Okabe N, Baker K, Lin S, Sullivan Brown J, et al. Mutations in zebrafish leucine-rich repeat-containing six-like affect cilia motility and result in pronephric cysts, but have variable effects on left-right patterning. Development. 2009;136:1621-31 pubmed publisher..Combined with recently published results, our alleles suggest that the function of seahorse in cilia motility is separable from its function in other cilia-related phenotypes. ..
- Yan Y, Gritsman K, Ding J, Burdine R, Corrales J, Price S, et al. Conserved requirement for EGF-CFC genes in vertebrate left-right axis formation. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2527-37 pubmed
- Cruz S, Tseng Y, Kaiya H, Hwang P. Ghrelin affects carbohydrate-glycogen metabolism via insulin inhibition and glucagon stimulation in the zebrafish (Danio rerio) brain. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2010;156:190-200 pubmed publisher..Ghrelin (GHRL) in pancreas is known to significantly regulate a dominant player in CGM, insulin (INS). However, its regulatory effect on extrapancreatic INS synthesis is yet unknown...
- Hozumi S, Hirabayashi R, Yoshizawa A, Ogata M, Ishitani T, Tsutsumi M, et al. DEAD-box protein Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33675 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results suggest a model in which zebrafish Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain, possibly through the control of pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Gamse J, Kuan Y, Macurak M, Brösamle C, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Directional asymmetry of the zebrafish epithalamus guides dorsoventral innervation of the midbrain target. Development. 2005;132:4869-81 pubmed..The results demonstrate that laterality of the dorsal forebrain influences the formation of midbrain connections and their molecular properties. ..
- Parsons M, Pisharath H, Yusuff S, Moore J, Siekmann A, Lawson N, et al. Notch-responsive cells initiate the secondary transition in larval zebrafish pancreas. Mech Dev. 2009;126:898-912 pubmed publisher..We also show that Notch-responsive cells persist in the adult pancreas and possess the classical characteristics of centroacinar cells, a cell type believed to be a multipotent progenitor cell in adult mammalian pancreas. ..
- Schottenfeld J, Sullivan Brown J, Burdine R. Zebrafish curly up encodes a Pkd2 ortholog that restricts left-side-specific expression of southpaw. Development. 2007;134:1605-15 pubmed..pkd2 also appears to play a role in the propagation of Nodal signals in the LPM. Based on morpholino studies, we propose an additional role for maternal pkd2 in general mesendoderm patterning. ..
- KIMMEL R, Onder L, Wilfinger A, Ellertsdottir E, Meyer D. Requirement for Pdx1 in specification of latent endocrine progenitors in zebrafish. BMC Biol. 2011;9:75 pubmed publisherb>Insulin-producing beta cells emerge during pancreas development in two sequential waves. Recently described later-forming beta cells in zebrafish show high similarity to second wave mammalian beta cells in developmental capacity...
- Hesselson D, Anderson R, Beinat M, Stainier D. Distinct populations of quiescent and proliferative pancreatic beta-cells identified by HOTcre mediated labeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:14896-901 pubmed publisher..of glucose homeostasis, and they vary dramatically in their glucose stimulated metabolic response and levels of insulin secretion...
- Stafford D, White R, Kinkel M, Linville A, Schilling T, Prince V. Retinoids signal directly to zebrafish endoderm to specify insulin-expressing beta-cells. Development. 2006;133:949-56 pubmed..that RA synthesized in the anterior paraxial mesoderm adjacent to the foregut is necessary for the development of insulin-expressing beta-cells...
- diIorio P, Alexa K, Choe S, Etheridge L, SAGERSTROM C. TALE-family homeodomain proteins regulate endodermal sonic hedgehog expression and pattern the anterior endoderm. Dev Biol. 2007;304:221-31 pubmed..a dominant negative construct or anti-sense morpholino oligos (MOs) to disrupt meis3 function, we observe ectopic insulin expression in anterior endoderm...
- Fu X, Wang Y, Schetle N, Gao H, Pütz M, von Gersdorff G, et al. The subcellular localization of TRPP2 modulates its function. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;19:1342-51 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support the hypothesis that TRPP2 assumes distinct subcellular localizations to exert tissue-specific functions. ..
- Lin J, Biankin A, Horb M, Ghosh B, Prasad N, Yee N, et al. Differential requirement for ptf1a in endocrine and exocrine lineages of developing zebrafish pancreas. Dev Biol. 2004;270:474-86 pubmed..Analysis of ptf1a and insulin expression reveals a population of exocrine precursors that, throughout early development, are temporally and ..
- Goessling W, North T, Lord A, Ceol C, Lee S, Weidinger G, et al. APC mutant zebrafish uncover a changing temporal requirement for wnt signaling in liver development. Dev Biol. 2008;320:161-74 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal an important and time-dependent role for wnt signaling during liver development and regeneration. ..
- Zecchin E, Mavropoulos A, Devos N, Filippi A, Tiso N, Meyer D, et al. Evolutionary conserved role of ptf1a in the specification of exocrine pancreatic fates. Dev Biol. 2004;268:174-84 pubmed..Biol. 11(2001) 1358] exhibit normal levels of ptf1a. This indicates that hedgehog signaling plays a different genetic role in the specification of the anteroventral (mostly exocrine) and posterodorsal (endocrine) pancreatic anlagen. ..
- Obara T, Mangos S, Liu Y, Zhao J, Wiessner S, Kramer Zucker A, et al. Polycystin-2 immunolocalization and function in zebrafish. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17:2706-18 pubmed
- McGonnell I, Fowkes R. Fishing for gene function--endocrine modelling in the zebrafish. J Endocrinol. 2006;189:425-39 pubmed..We anticipate that the use of these techniques will make the zebrafish a prominent model in endocrine research in the coming years. ..
- Yee N, Lorent K, Pack M. Exocrine pancreas development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;284:84-101 pubmed..By contrast, analyses of mind bomb mutants and jagged morpholino-injected larvae suggest that Notch signaling principally regulates ductal differentiation of bipotential exocrine progenitors. ..
- Dalgin G, Ward A, Hao L, Beattie C, Nechiporuk A, Prince V. Zebrafish mnx1 controls cell fate choice in the developing endocrine pancreas. Development. 2011;138:4597-608 pubmed publisher..cell fate decisions, such that hormone-producing differentiated cell types ultimately arise, including the insulin-producing beta cells and the antagonistically acting glucagon-producing alpha cells...
- Danilova N, Sakamoto K, Lin S. Ribosomal protein S19 deficiency in zebrafish leads to developmental abnormalities and defective erythropoiesis through activation of p53 protein family. Blood. 2008;112:5228-37 pubmed publisher..Ribosomal stress syndromes represent a broader spectrum of human congenital diseases caused by genotoxic stress; therefore, imbalance of p53 family members may become a new target for therapeutics. ..
- Field H, Dong P, Beis D, Stainier D. Formation of the digestive system in zebrafish. II. Pancreas morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2003;261:197-208 pubmed
- Binot A, Manfroid I, Flasse L, Winandy M, Motte P, Martial J, et al. Nkx6.1 and nkx6.2 regulate alpha- and beta-cell formation in zebrafish by acting on pancreatic endocrine progenitor cells. Dev Biol. 2010;340:397-407 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our data, we propose a model in which nkx6.1 and nkx6.2, by allowing the establishment of the endocrine progenitor pool, control alpha- and beta-cell differentiation. ..
- Jurczyk A, Roy N, Bajwa R, Gut P, Lipson K, Yang C, et al. Dynamic glucoregulation and mammalian-like responses to metabolic and developmental disruption in zebrafish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2011;170:334-45 pubmed publisher..In summary, we identify mechanisms of glucoregulation in zebrafish embryos that are conserved with embryonic and adult mammals. These observations justify use of this model in mechanistic studies of human metabolic disease. ..
- Kim H, Sumanas S, Palencia Desai S, Dong Y, Chen J, Lin S. Genetic analysis of early endocrine pancreas formation in zebrafish. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:194-203 pubmed..These mutants fall into three major phenotypic classes displaying severely reduced insulin expression, reduced insulin expression with abnormal islet morphology, or abnormal islet morphology with ..
- Huang H, Vogel S, Liu N, Melton D, Lin S. Analysis of pancreatic development in living transgenic zebrafish embryos. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2001;177:117-24 pubmedUsing DNA constructs containing regulatory sequences of the zebrafish Pdx-1 and insulin genes, germline transgenic zebrafish expressing the green fluorescent protein (GFP) reporter gene in the pancreas were generated...
- Pack M, Solnica Krezel L, Malicki J, Neuhauss S, Schier A, Stemple D, et al. Mutations affecting development of zebrafish digestive organs. Development. 1996;123:321-8 pubmed..digestive enzymes, the hepatocytes secrete bile, and the pancreatic islets and acini generate immunoreactive insulin and carboxypeptidase A, respectively...
- Delporte F, Pasque V, Devos N, Manfroid I, Voz M, Motte P, et al. Expression of zebrafish pax6b in pancreas is regulated by two enhancers containing highly conserved cis-elements bound by PDX1, PBX and PREP factors. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:53 pubmed publisher..This study also provides a striking example of how adaptative evolution of gene regulatory sequences upon gene duplication progressively leads to subfunctionalization of the paralogous gene pair. ..
- Kopinke D, Sasine J, Swift J, Stephens W, Piotrowski T. Retinoic acid is required for endodermal pouch morphogenesis and not for pharyngeal endoderm specification. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2695-709 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the developmental processes underlying pharyngeal arch defects differ depending on when RA signaling is disturbed during development...
- Papasani M, Robison B, Hardy R, Hill R. Early developmental expression of two insulins in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Physiol Genomics. 2006;27:79-85 pubmedWe have cloned a second insulin gene in zebrafish and studied temporal and spatial expression of two zebrafish insulin genes...
- Wan H, Korzh S, Li Z, Mudumana S, Korzh V, Jiang Y, et al. Analyses of pancreas development by generation of gfp transgenic zebrafish using an exocrine pancreas-specific elastaseA gene promoter. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:1526-39 pubmed..Thus, our works demonstrated the new transgenic line provided a useful experimental tool in analyzing exocrine pancreas development...
- Mavropoulos A, Devos N, Biemar F, Zecchin E, Argenton F, Edlund H, et al. sox4b is a key player of pancreatic alpha cell differentiation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;285:211-23 pubmed..sox4b knock-down leads to a drastic reduction in glucagon expression, while other pancreatic markers including insulin, somatostatin, and trypsin are not significantly affected...
- Wendik B, Maier E, Meyer D. Zebrafish mnx genes in endocrine and exocrine pancreas formation. Dev Biol. 2004;268:372-83 pubmed..of two components, which exert distinct homeostatic function, an endocrine part that secretes hormones including insulin and an exocrine part that produces digestive enzymes...
- Argenton F, Zecchin E, Bortolussi M. Early appearance of pancreatic hormone-expressing cells in the zebrafish embryo. Mech Dev. 1999;87:217-21 pubmedAdult pancreatic islets comprise four cell types, alpha, beta, delta and PP, expressing glucagon, insulin, somatostatin and pancreatic-polypeptide, respectively, arising from cell lineages whose relationships during endocrine pancreas ..
- Aamar E, Dawid I. Sox17 and chordin are required for formation of Kupffer's vesicle and left-right asymmetry determination in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2980-8 pubmed publisher..These defects correlated with the formation of small KVs with apparently diminished cilia, consistent with the known requirement for ciliary function in the laterality organ for the establishment of L-R asymmetry. ..
- Curado S, Anderson R, Jungblut B, Mumm J, Schroeter E, Stainier D. Conditional targeted cell ablation in zebrafish: a new tool for regeneration studies. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1025-35 pubmed
- Mayer A, Fishman M. Nil per os encodes a conserved RNA recognition motif protein required for morphogenesis and cytodifferentiation of digestive organs in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:3917-28 pubmed..Antisense-mediated knockdown of npo results in organ hypoplasia, and overexpression of npo causes an overgrowth of gastrointestinal organs. Thus, npo is a gene essential for a key step in the gut morphogenetic sequence. ..
- Pauls S, Zecchin E, Tiso N, Bortolussi M, Argenton F. Function and regulation of zebrafish nkx2.2a during development of pancreatic islet and ducts. Dev Biol. 2007;304:875-90 pubmed..2a in the development of the pancreatic ducts. ..
- Song J, Kim H, Gong Z, Liu N, Lin S. Vhnf1 acts downstream of Bmp, Fgf, and RA signals to regulate endocrine beta cell development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;303:561-75 pubmed..Third, we demonstrated that RA fails to rescue reduction of insulin expression in vhnf1 mutants, whereas overexpression of vhnf1 restores insulin expression that is repressed by ..
- Zecchin E, Filippi A, Biemar F, Tiso N, Pauls S, Ellertsdottir E, et al. Distinct delta and jagged genes control sequential segregation of pancreatic cell types from precursor pools in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;301:192-204 pubmed..The different cell types of the vertebrate pancreas arise asynchronously during organogenesis. Beta-cells producing insulin, alpha-cells producing glucagon, and exocrine cells secreting digestive enzymes differentiate sequentially from a ..