Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: il6
Description: interleukin 6 (interferon, beta 2)
Alias: interleukin 6 (interferon, beta 2), interleukin-6
- Faikoh E, Hong Y, Hu S. Liposome-encapsulated cinnamaldehyde enhances zebrafish (Danio rerio) immunity and survival when challenged with Vibrio vulnificus and Streptococcus agalactiae. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2014;38:15-24 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that LEC could be used as an antimicrobial agent and immunostimulant to protect bacteria-infected fish in aquaculture. ..
- Pai W, Hsu C, Lai C, Chang T, Tsai Y, Her G. Cannabinoid receptor 1 promotes hepatic lipid accumulation and lipotoxicity through the induction of SREBP-1c expression in zebrafish. Transgenic Res. 2013;22:823-38 pubmed publisher..This study is the first to report CB1R as a potential hepatic stimulator for zebrafish liver steatosis. ..
- Parikka M, Hammarén M, Harjula S, Halfpenny N, Oksanen K, Lahtinen M, et al. Mycobacterium marinum causes a latent infection that can be reactivated by gamma irradiation in adult zebrafish. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002944 pubmed publisher..The possibilities for screening for host and pathogen factors affecting the disease progression, and identifying novel therapeutic agents and vaccine targets make this established model especially attractive...
- Nguyen Chi M, Laplace Builhe B, Travnickova J, Luz Crawford P, Tejedor G, Phan Q, et al. Identification of polarized macrophage subsets in zebrafish. elife. 2015;4:e07288 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal the diversity and plasticity of zebrafish macrophage subsets and underline the similarities with mammalian macrophages proposing a new system to study macrophage functional dynamic. ..
- Tandberg J, Lagos L, Langlete P, Berger E, Rishovd A, Roos N, et al. Comparative Analysis of Membrane Vesicles from Three Piscirickettsia salmonis Isolates Reveals Differences in Vesicle Characteristics. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0165099 pubmed publisher..salmonis derived MVs, highlighting strain-specific vesicle characteristics. The results further illustrate that the MV proteome from one bacterial strain is not representative of all bacterial strains within one species. ..
- Cruz F, Leite C, Kist L, de Oliveira G, Bogo M, Bonan C, et al. Effects of caffeine on behavioral and inflammatory changes elicited by copper in zebrafish larvae: Role of adenosine receptors. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;194:28-36 pubmed publisher..We also conclude that alterations in adenosine receptors are related to those effects. ..
- Liu C, Su G, Giesy J, Letcher R, Li G, Agrawal I, et al. Acute Exposure to Tris(1,3-dichloro-2-propyl) Phosphate (TDCIPP) Causes Hepatic Inflammation and Leads to Hepatotoxicity in Zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:19045 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results suggest that exposure to TDCIPP induces hepatic inflammation and leads to hepatotoxicity in zebrafish. ..
- Vliegenthart A, Wei C, Buckley C, Berends C, de Potter C, Schneemann S, et al. Characterization of Triptolide-Induced Hepatotoxicity by Imaging and Transcriptomics in a Novel Zebrafish Model. Toxicol Sci. 2017;159:380-391 pubmed publisher..RNA sequencing, guided by time-lapse microscopy, revealed early down-regulation of genes consistent with previous invitro studies, and facilitated the discovery of mechanistic inflammatory pathways. ..
- Liu X, Wu H, Chang X, Tang Y, Liu Q, Zhang Y. Notable mucosal immune responses induced in the intestine of zebrafish (Danio rerio) bath-vaccinated with a live attenuated Vibrio anguillarum vaccine. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2014;40:99-108 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the live attenuated V. anguillarum vaccine induced notable mucosal immune responses in the intestine which could be used as a mucosal vaccine vector in the future. ..
- Jin Y, Liu Z, Peng T, Fu Z. The toxicity of chlorpyrifos on the early life stage of zebrafish: a survey on the endpoints at development, locomotor behavior, oxidative stress and immunotoxicity. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2015;43:405-14 pubmed publisher..cytokines including tumor necrosis factor Î± (TnfÎ±), interferon (Ifn), interleukin-1 beta (Il-1Î²), interleukin 6 (Il6), complement factor 4 (C4) in the larvae increased significantly after the exposure to 100 or 300Â Î¼..
- Wu T, Yang J, Yu F, Liu B. Evaluation of nephrotoxic effects of mycotoxins, citrinin and patulin, on zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50:4398-404 pubmed publisher..In summary, CTN and PAT caused profound nephrotoxicity in histological structure and biological function of zebrafish embryos; the inflammatory pathway and blood rheology may involve in CTN-induced renal impairment. ..
- Tandberg J, Oliver C, Lagos L, Gaarder M, Yañez A, Ropstad E, et al. Membrane vesicles from Piscirickettsia salmonis induce protective immunity and reduce development of salmonid rickettsial septicemia in an adult zebrafish model. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;67:189-198 pubmed publisher..1, tnf?, il1b, il10 and il6. The MVs induced the secretion of IgM upon immunization, indicating an immunogenic effect of the vesicles...
- Hartig E, Zhu S, King B, Coffman J. Cortisol-treated zebrafish embryos develop into pro-inflammatory adults with aberrant immune gene regulation. Biol Open. 2016;5:1134-41 pubmed publisher..These results support the hypothesis that chronically elevated glucocorticoid signaling early in life directs development of a pro-inflammatory adult phenotype, at the expense of immunoregulation and somatic regenerative capacity. ..
- Ogai K, Kuwana A, Hisano S, Nagashima M, Koriyama Y, Sugitani K, et al. Upregulation of leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) during the early stage of optic nerve regeneration in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e106010 pubmed publisher..b>Interleukin 6 (IL-6)-type cytokines are involved in cell differentiation, proliferation, survival, and axon regrowth; thus, ..
- Zhao X, Wan J, Powell C, Ramachandran R, Myers M, Goldman D. Leptin and IL-6 family cytokines synergize to stimulate Müller glia reprogramming and retina regeneration. Cell Rep. 2014;9:272-284 pubmed publisher..Our study not only furthers our understanding of retina regeneration in zebrafish but also suggests new strategies for awakening retina regeneration in mammals. ..
- Sun Q, Zhu J, Cao F, Chen F. Anti-inflammatory properties of extracts from Chimonanthus nitens Oliv. leaf. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181094 pubmed publisher..7 cells. Therefore, our results suggest that the ethanol extracts of CN leaves may serve as a source of nutraceutical compounds with anti-inflammatory properties. ..
- Lampe E, Zingmark C, Tandberg J, Thrane I, Brudal E, Sjostedt A, et al. Francisella noatunensis subspecies noatunensis clpB deletion mutant impairs development of francisellosis in a zebrafish model. Vaccine. 2017;35:7264-7272 pubmed publisher..n.n. wt. Taken together, the results presented increases the knowledge on protective immune responses against F.n.n. ..
- Patterson H, Saralahti A, Parikka M, Dramsi S, Trieu Cuot P, Poyart C, et al. Adult zebrafish model of bacterial meningitis in Streptococcus agalactiae infection. Dev Comp Immunol. 2012;38:447-55 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data demonstrates that adult zebrafish may be used as a bacterial meningitis model as a means for deciphering the pathogenesis and development of invasive GBS disease. ..
- Hall C, Boyle R, Astin J, Flores M, Oehlers S, Sanderson L, et al. Immunoresponsive gene 1 augments bactericidal activity of macrophage-lineage cells by regulating ?-oxidation-dependent mitochondrial ROS production. Cell Metab. 2013;18:265-78 pubmed publisher..These results reveal IRG1 as a key component of the immunometabolism axis, connecting infection, cellular metabolism, and macrophage effector function...
- Guo S, Zheng J, Yuan S, Zhu Q, Wu C. Immunosuppressive effects and associated compensatory responses in zebrafish after full life-cycle exposure to environmentally relevant concentrations of cadmium. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;188:64-71 pubmed publisher..Taken together, immunosuppressive effects and tissue-dependent compensatory responses were demonstrated in zebrafish after full life-cycle exposure to environmental levels of Cd, indicating a compromise between survival and immunity. ..
- Song C, Liu B, Zhang Y, Peng Z, Wang J, Collier A, et al. Modeling consequences of prolonged strong unpredictable stress in zebrafish: Complex effects on behavior and physiology. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2018;81:384-394 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings support zebrafish as a useful in-vivo model of chronic stress, also calling for further cross-species studies of both shared/overlapping and distinct neurobiological responses to chronic stress. ..
- Wang C, Chen Y, Bian W, Xie S, Qi G, Liu L, et al. Deletion of mstna and mstnb impairs the immune system and affects growth performance in zebrafish. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2018;72:572-580 pubmed publisher..While each paralogue contributes to the response to bacterial insult, mstnb affects the immune system through activation of the NF-?B pathway, and mstna is likely to act upstream of NF-?B at some as yet unidentified target. ..
- Varela M, Romero A, Dios S, van der Vaart M, Figueras A, Meijer A, et al. Cellular visualization of macrophage pyroptosis and interleukin-1? release in a viral hemorrhagic infection in zebrafish larvae. J Virol. 2014;88:12026-40 pubmed publisher..The use of this animal model with other pathogens could improve the current knowledge on host-pathogen interactions and increase the potential for the discovery of new therapeutic targets against diverse viral diseases. ..
- Yang S, MarÃn Juez R, Meijer A, Spaink H. Common and specific downstream signaling targets controlled by Tlr2 and Tlr5 innate immune signaling in zebrafish. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:547 pubmed publisher..Our studies show that Pam3CSK4 and flagellin can stimulate the Tlr2 and Tlr5 signaling pathways leading to common and specific responses in the zebrafish embryo system. ..
- Lee H, Schwab T, Koleilat A, Ata H, Daby C, Cervera R, et al. Allele-Specific Quantitative PCR for Accurate, Rapid, and Cost-Effective Genotyping. Hum Gene Ther. 2016;27:425-35 pubmed publisher..ASQ is time-saving because a single qPCR without post-PCR handling suffices to score genotypes. ASQ is cost-effective because universal fluorescent probes negate the necessity of designing expensive probes for each locus. ..
- Huang Y, Hung K, Hsieh F, Hsu S. Carboxyl-functionalized polyurethane nanoparticles with immunosuppressive properties as a new type of anti-inflammatory platform. Nanoscale. 2015;7:20352-64 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that NP surface chemistry may regulate the immune response, which provides a new paradigm for potential applications of NPs in anti-inflammation and immunomodulation. ..
- Bibikova E, Youn M, Danilova N, Ono Uruga Y, Konto Ghiorghi Y, Ochoa R, et al. TNF-mediated inflammation represses GATA1 and activates p38 MAP kinase in RPS19-deficient hematopoietic progenitors. Blood. 2014;124:3791-8 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that RPS19 deficiency leads to inflammation, p53-dependent increase in TNF-Î±, activation of p38 MAPK, and decreased GATA1 expression, suggesting a novel mechanism for the erythroid defects observed in DBA. ..
- Rovira M, Arrey G, Planas J. Exercise-Induced Hypertrophic and Oxidative Signaling Pathways and Myokine Expression in Fast Muscle of Adult Zebrafish. Front Physiol. 2017;8:1063 pubmed publisher..The mRNA expression levels of il6, il6r, apln, aplnra and aplnrb, sparc, decorin and igf1, myokines known in mammals to be produced ..
- Kim E, Lee W, Um J, Kang N, Cheong S, Oh J, et al. Anti-inflammatory Effects of Galactose-Taurine Sodium Salt: A Taurine Derivate in Zebrafish In Vivo Model. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;975:655-666 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study first indicates that Gal-Tau could be considered as an effective anti-inflammatory material with its anti-inflammatory activity. ..
- Yang L, Wang G, Yang L, Huang Z, Zhang W, Yu L. Endotoxin molecule lipopolysaccharide-induced zebrafish inflammation model: a novel screening method for anti-inflammatory drugs. Molecules. 2014;19:2390-409 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that this zebrafish screening model could be applied to study inflammation-mediated diseases. Moreover, the Traditional Chinese Medicine CA displays potential anti-inflammatory activity. ..
- Yan B, Han P, Pan L, Lu W, Xiong J, Zhang M, et al. IL-1? and reactive oxygen species differentially regulate neutrophil directional migration and Basal random motility in a zebrafish injury-induced inflammation model. J Immunol. 2014;192:5998-6008 pubmed publisher..In addition, Il-1? overexpressing Tg(hsp70:(m)il-1?_eGFP;lyz:DsRed2)hkz10t;nz50 transgenic zebrafish provides a useful animal model for the study of chronic inflammatory disorder and for anti-inflammatory drug discovery. ..
- Jin Y, Liu Z, Liu F, Ye Y, Peng T, Fu Z. Embryonic exposure to cadmium (II) and chromium (VI) induce behavioral alterations, oxidative stress and immunotoxicity in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2015;48:9-17 pubmed publisher..Our results suggested that Cd and Cr have the potential to cause behavior alterations, oxidative stress and immunotoxicity in the larval zebrafish. ..
- Turola E, Petta S, Vanni E, Milosa F, Valenti L, Critelli R, et al. Ovarian senescence increases liver fibrosis in humans and zebrafish with steatosis. Dis Model Mech. 2015;8:1037-46 pubmed publisher..Ovarian senescence significantly increases the risk of fibrosis severity both in humans with NAFLD and in zebrafish with experimental steatosis. ..
- Marcon M, Herrmann A, Mocelin R, Rambo C, Koakoski G, Abreu M, et al. Prevention of unpredictable chronic stress-related phenomena in zebrafish exposed to bromazepam, fluoxetine and nortriptyline. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2016;233:3815-3824 pubmed..The UCS protocol may also serve as a screening tool for evaluating new drugs that can be used to treat psychiatric disorders with stress-related etiologies. ..
- Zhang C, Zhang J, Ren H, Zhou B, Wu Q, Sun P. Effect of tributyltin on antioxidant ability and immune responses of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;138:1-8 pubmed publisher..The results indicated that TBT induced oxidative stress and had immunotoxic effects on zebrafish. ..
- Liu Y, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Stat3/Cdc25a-dependent cell proliferation promotes embryonic axis extension during zebrafish gastrulation. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006564 pubmed publisher..During later development, stat3 mutant zebrafish exhibit stunted growth, scoliosis, excessive inflammation, and fail to thrive, affording a genetic tool to study Stat3 function in vertebrate development, regeneration, and disease. ..
- Lim S, Esain V, Kwan W, Theodore L, Cortes M, Frost I, et al. HIF1?-induced PDGFR? signaling promotes developmental HSC production via IL-6 activation. Exp Hematol. 2017;46:83-95.e6 pubmed publisher..targets by expression analysis revealed a significant increase in inflammatory intermediates, including Interleukin 6 (IL-6) and its receptor (IL-6R)...
- Zhang Y, Liu H, Yao J, Huang Y, Qin S, Sun Z, et al. Manipulating the air-filled zebrafish swim bladder as a neutrophilic inflammation model for acute lung injury. Cell Death Dis. 2016;7:e2470 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings highlight the swim bladder as a promising and powerful model for mechanistic and drug screening studies of alveolar injuries. ..
- Dorsemans A, Soulé S, Weger M, Bourdon E, Lefebvre d Hellencourt C, Meilhac O, et al. Impaired constitutive and regenerative neurogenesis in adult hyperglycemic zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2017;525:442-458 pubmed publisher..Acute hyperglycemia was shown to promote gene expression of proinflammatory cytokines (il1?, il6, il8, and tnf?) in the brain and chronic hyperglycemia to impair expression of genes involved in the establishment ..
- Zhao C, Zhang W, Zhao Y, Yang Y, Luo H, Ji G, et al. Endothelial Cords Promote Tumor Initial Growth prior to Vascular Function through a Paracrine Mechanism. Sci Rep. 2016;6:19404 pubmed publisher..Understanding this novel mechanism of angiogenic tumor progression offers new entry points for cancer therapeutics. ..
- Lampe E, Tandberg J, Rishovd A, Winther Larsen H. Francisella noatunensis ssp. noatunensis iglC deletion mutant protects adult zebrafish challenged with acute mortality dose of wild-type strain. Dis Aquat Organ. 2017;123:123-140 pubmed publisher..Immunized fish had lower interleukin 6 (il6) and il8 transcription in kidney and prolonged interferon-gamma (ifng) transcription in spleens after ..
- Dai W, Wang K, Zheng X, Chen X, Zhang W, Zhang Y, et al. High fat plus high cholesterol diet lead to hepatic steatosis in zebrafish larvae: a novel model for screening anti-hepatic steatosis drugs. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2015;12:42 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the zebrafish larvae steatosis model established and validated in this study could be used for in vivo steatosis studies and drug screening. ..
- Lei X, Cai S, Chen Y, Cui J, Wang Y, Li Z, et al. Down-regulation of interleukin 7 receptor (IL-7R) contributes to central nervous system demyelination. Oncotarget. 2017;8:28395-28407 pubmed publisher..These findings contribute to our understanding of the role of IL-7R in demyelination, and provide a rationale for the development of IL-7R-based therapies for MS and other demyelinating diseases. ..
- Hsu A, Wang D, Gurol T, Zhou W, Zhu X, Lu H, et al. Overexpression of microRNA-722 fine-tunes neutrophilic inflammation by inhibiting Rac2 in zebrafish. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:1323-1332 pubmed publisher..Finally, an miR-722 mimic protects zebrafish from lethal lipopolysaccharide challenge. Together, these results provide evidence for and the mechanism of an anti-inflammatory miRNA that restrains detrimental systemic inflammation. ..
- Jheng Y, Lee L, Ting C, Pan C, Hui C, Chen J. Zebrafish fed on recombinant Artemia expressing epinecidin-1 exhibit increased survival and altered expression of immunomodulatory genes upon Vibrio vulnificus infection. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2015;42:1-15 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that feeding transgenic Artemia expressing CMV-gfp-epi to larval fish has antimicrobial effects, without the drawbacks of introducing drug residues or inducing bacterial drug resistance. ..
- Slade L, Cowie A, Martyniuk C, Kienesberger P, Pulinilkunnil T. Dieldrin Augments mTOR Signaling and Regulates Genes Associated with Cardiovascular Disease in the Adult Zebrafish Heart (Danio rerio). J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017;361:375-385 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that dieldrin induces genes associated with cardiovascular dysfunction and compromised lysosomal physiology, thereby identifying a novel mechanism for pesticide-induced cardiotoxicity. ..
- Chi J, Liao L, Wang R, Jhu C, Wu J, Hu S. Molecular cloning and functional characterization of the hepcidin gene from the convict cichlid (Amatitlania nigrofasciata) and its expression pattern in response to lipopolysaccharide challenge. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2015;41:449-61 pubmed publisher..vulnificus-infected zebrafish. Taken together, these data indicate an important role for AN-hepc in the innate immunity of A. nigrofasciata and suggest its potential application in aquaculture for increasing resistance to disease. ..