Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: il1b
Description: interleukin 1, beta
Alias: il1-b, zgc:111873, interleukin-1 beta, interlukin-1 beta
- Oehlers S, Flores M, Hall C, Okuda K, Sison J, Crosier K, et al. Chemically induced intestinal damage models in zebrafish larvae. Zebrafish. 2013;10:184-93 pubmed publisher..Methods to monitor intestinal damage and inflammatory processes, and chemical-genetic methods to manipulate the host response to injury are also described. ..
- van der Vaart M, van Soest J, Spaink H, Meijer A. Functional analysis of a zebrafish myd88 mutant identifies key transcriptional components of the innate immune system. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:841-54 pubmed publisher..for transcription factors central to innate immunity (including NF-?B and AP-1) and the pro-inflammatory cytokine Il1b, is dependent on MyD88 signaling during these bacterial infections...
- Kyritsis N, Kizil C, Zocher S, Kroehne V, Kaslin J, Freudenreich D, et al. Acute inflammation initiates the regenerative response in the adult zebrafish brain. Science. 2012;338:1353-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results demonstrate that in zebrafish, in contrast to mammals, inflammation is a positive regulator of neuronal regeneration in the central nervous system. ..
- Rodriguez I, Novoa B, Figueras A. Immune response of zebrafish (Danio rerio) against a newly isolated bacterial pathogen Aeromonas hydrophila. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2008;25:239-49 pubmed publisher..Expression levels of iNOS were upregulated by ECPs. Mortality rate (LD(50)) and histopathology were also determined...
- Wittamer V, Bertrand J, Gutschow P, Traver D. Characterization of the mononuclear phagocyte system in zebrafish. Blood. 2011;117:7126-35 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that mhc2dab:GFP and cd45:DsRed transgenic lines will be instrumental in elucidating the immune response in the zebrafish. ..
- Oehlers S, Flores M, Chen T, Hall C, Crosier K, Crosier P. Topographical distribution of antimicrobial genes in the zebrafish intestine. Dev Comp Immunol. 2011;35:385-91 pubmed publisher..Expression of the zebrafish ?-defensin family was examined in adult zebrafish tissues. Strong expression of defensin beta-like 1 was detected in the swim bladder of zebrafish from the larval stage of development through to adults. ..
- Lin B, Chen S, Cao Z, Lin Y, Mo D, Zhang H, et al. Acute phase response in zebrafish upon Aeromonas salmonicida and Staphylococcus aureus infection: striking similarities and obvious differences with mammals. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:295-301 pubmed..Our results constitute the first demonstration of a similar while different immune response in zebrafish and open new avenues for the investigation of evolutionary conserved and fish specific mechanisms of innate immunity...
- Holt A, Mitra S, van der Sar A, Alnabulsi A, Secombes C, Bird S. Discovery of zebrafish (Danio rerio) interleukin-23 alpha (IL-23?) chain, a subunit important for the formation of IL-23, a cytokine involved in the development of Th17 cells and inflammation. Mol Immunol. 2011;48:981-91 pubmed publisher
- Feng Y, Santoriello C, Mione M, Hurlstone A, Martin P. Live imaging of innate immune cell sensing of transformed cells in zebrafish larvae: parallels between tumor initiation and wound inflammation. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000562 pubmed publisher..These parallels between the inflammatory responses to transformed cells and to wounds reinforce the suggestion by others that cancers resemble non-healing wounds. ..
- Encinas P, Garcia Valtanen P, Chinchilla B, Gomez Casado E, Estepa A, Coll J. Identification of multipath genes differentially expressed in pathway-targeted microarrays in zebrafish infected and surviving spring viremia carp virus (SVCV) suggest preventive drug candidates. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73553 pubmed publisher..These results could contribute to develop novel drug-based prevention methods and consolidate the zebrafish/SVCV as a model for vertebrate viral diseases. ..
- Brugman S, Liu K, Lindenbergh Kortleve D, Samsom J, Furuta G, Renshaw S, et al. Oxazolone-induced enterocolitis in zebrafish depends on the composition of the intestinal microbiota. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:1757-67.e1 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish with oxazolone-induced enterocolitis, components of the intestinal microbiota affect the severity and composition of the intestinal infiltrate. ..
- Chao C, Hsu P, Jen C, Chen I, Wang C, Chan H, et al. Zebrafish as a model host for Candida albicans infection. Infect Immun. 2010;78:2512-21 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results of this work demonstrate that zebrafish can be a useful host model to study C. albicans pathogenesis, and they highlight the advantages of using the zebrafish model in future invasive fungal research. ..
- Stockhammer O, Zakrzewska A, Hegedus Z, Spaink H, Meijer A. Transcriptome profiling and functional analyses of the zebrafish embryonic innate immune response to Salmonella infection. J Immunol. 2009;182:5641-53 pubmed publisher..Additionally, flagellin-mediated induction of other inflammation markers, including il1b, il8, and cxcl-C1c, was reduced upon Tlr5 knockdown as well as expression of irak3, a putative negative TLR pathway ..
- Chang M, Lu J, Tian Y, Chen Y, Hung C, Huang Y, et al. Inhibition of the P2X7 receptor reduces cystogenesis in PKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22:1696-706 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, blockade of the P2X7 receptor reduces cyst formation via ERK-dependent pathways in a zebrafish model of polycystic kidney disease, suggesting that P2X7 antagonists may have therapeutic potential in ADPKD. ..
- Pressley M, Phelan P, Witten P, Mellon M, Kim C. Pathogenesis and inflammatory response to Edwardsiella tarda infection in the zebrafish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2005;29:501-13 pubmed..The methods developed in this study will be particularly valuable for targeted gene disruption studies of host immune components and in zebrafish genetic screens. ..
- Sullivan C, Charette J, Catchen J, Lage C, Giasson G, Postlethwait J, et al. The gene history of zebrafish tlr4a and tlr4b is predictive of their divergent functions. J Immunol. 2009;183:5896-908 pubmed publisher..These studies provide the first evidence for the functional evolution of a novel Tlr. ..
- Ogryzko N, Hoggett E, Solaymani Kohal S, Tazzyman S, Chico T, Renshaw S, et al. Zebrafish tissue injury causes upregulation of interleukin-1 and caspase-dependent amplification of the inflammatory response. Dis Model Mech. 2014;7:259-64 pubmed publisher..Zebrafish offer a new and versatile model to study the IL-1? pathway in inflammatory disease and should offer unique insights into IL-1 biology in vivo. ..
- Clay H, Davis J, Beery D, Huttenlocher A, Lyons S, Ramakrishnan L. Dichotomous role of the macrophage in early Mycobacterium marinum infection of the zebrafish. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:29-39 pubmed..We propose that residence within macrophages represents an evolutionary trade-off for pathogenic mycobacteria that slows their early growth but provides a mechanism for tissue dissemination...
- de Oliveira S, Reyes Aldasoro C, Candel S, Renshaw S, Mulero V, Calado A. Cxcl8 (IL-8) mediates neutrophil recruitment and behavior in the zebrafish inflammatory response. J Immunol. 2013;190:4349-59 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we report that Cxcl8-l2 signaled through Cxcr2 for inducing neutrophil recruitment. Our study, therefore, confirms the zebrafish as an excellent in vivo model to shed light on the roles of CXCL8 in neutrophil biology. ..
- Oyarbide U, Rainieri S, Pardo M. Zebrafish (Danio rerio) larvae as a system to test the efficacy of polysaccharides as immunostimulants. Zebrafish. 2012;9:74-84 pubmed publisher..The assay used in this study permits the testing potential of immunostimulants in a simple and cost-effective way. ..
- Zhang Z, Wu H, Xiao J, Wang Q, Liu Q, Zhang Y. Immune responses of zebrafish (Danio rerio) induced by bath-vaccination with a live attenuated Vibrio anguillarum vaccine candidate. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2012;33:36-41 pubmed publisher..These results gave some important messages about the mechanism of specific protection induced by live attenuated V. anguillarum and showed the availability of zebrafish model in the evaluation of the vaccine candidate...
- van Soest J, Stockhammer O, Ordas A, Bloemberg G, Spaink H, Meijer A. Comparison of static immersion and intravenous injection systems for exposure of zebrafish embryos to the natural pathogen Edwardsiella tarda. BMC Immunol. 2011;12:58 pubmed publisher..In this study we used transcriptome profiling and quantitative RT-PCR to analyze the immune response induced by E. tarda immersion and injection...
- Hedrera M, Galdames J, Jimenez Reyes M, Reyes A, Avendaño Herrera R, Romero J, et al. Soybean meal induces intestinal inflammation in zebrafish larvae. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69983 pubmed publisher..These findings support the use of zebrafish screening assays to identify novel ingredients that would to improved current fish diets or would formulate new ones. ..
- Gratacap R, Rawls J, Wheeler R. Mucosal candidiasis elicits NF-?B activation, proinflammatory gene expression and localized neutrophilia in zebrafish. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:1260-70 pubmed publisher..This is the first system to model host response to mucosal infection in the juvenile zebrafish, and offers unique opportunities to investigate the tripartite interactions of C. albicans, epithelium and immune cells in an intact host. ..
- López Muñoz A, Roca F, Sepulcre M, Meseguer J, Mulero V. Zebrafish larvae are unable to mount a protective antiviral response against waterborne infection by spring viremia of carp virus. Dev Comp Immunol. 2010;34:546-52 pubmed publisher..This model, in combination with the powerful gene overexpression and morpholino-mediated knockdown techniques, will help to illuminate the IFN system of teleost fish...
- Vojtech L, Scharping N, Woodson J, Hansen J. Roles of inflammatory caspases during processing of zebrafish interleukin-1? in Francisella noatunensis infection. Infect Immun. 2012;80:2878-85 pubmed publisher..These results represent the first demonstration of processing and secretion of zebrafish IL-1? in response to a pathogen, contributing to our understanding of the evolutionary processes governing the regulation of inflammation. ..
- Mostowy S, Boucontet L, Mazon Moya M, Sirianni A, Boudinot P, Hollinshead M, et al. The zebrafish as a new model for the in vivo study of Shigella flexneri interaction with phagocytes and bacterial autophagy. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003588 pubmed publisher..These results show the zebrafish larva as a new model for the study of S. flexneri interaction with phagocytes, and the manipulation of autophagy for anti-bacterial therapy in vivo. ..
- Oehlers S, Flores M, Hall C, O Toole R, Swift S, Crosier K, et al. Expression of zebrafish cxcl8 (interleukin-8) and its receptors during development and in response to immune stimulation. Dev Comp Immunol. 2010;34:352-9 pubmed publisher..Expression of cxcr1 and cxcr2 is robust within the developing gut. This work provides a model for the study of Cxcl8 signalling during gut inflammation. ..
- Liew N, Mazon Moya M, Wierzbicki C, Hollinshead M, Dillon M, Thornton C, et al. Chytrid fungus infection in zebrafish demonstrates that the pathogen can parasitize non-amphibian vertebrate hosts. Nat Commun. 2017;8:15048 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings greatly expand the limited tool kit available to study pathogenesis and host response to chytrid infection. ..
- Barros Becker F, Romero J, Pulgar A, Feijóo C. Persistent oxytetracycline exposure induces an inflammatory process that improves regenerative capacity in zebrafish larvae. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36827 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, larvae that developed an inflammation process showed an improved regeneration capacity in the mechanosensory system lateral line. ..
- Varela M, Romero A, Dios S, van der Vaart M, Figueras A, Meijer A, et al. Cellular visualization of macrophage pyroptosis and interleukin-1? release in a viral hemorrhagic infection in zebrafish larvae. J Virol. 2014;88:12026-40 pubmed publisher..The use of this animal model with other pathogens could improve the current knowledge on host-pathogen interactions and increase the potential for the discovery of new therapeutic targets against diverse viral diseases. ..
- Chi J, Liao L, Wang R, Jhu C, Wu J, Hu S. Molecular cloning and functional characterization of the hepcidin gene from the convict cichlid (Amatitlania nigrofasciata) and its expression pattern in response to lipopolysaccharide challenge. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2015;41:449-61 pubmed publisher..vulnificus-infected zebrafish. Taken together, these data indicate an important role for AN-hepc in the innate immunity of A. nigrofasciata and suggest its potential application in aquaculture for increasing resistance to disease. ..
- Marín Juez R, Jong Raadsen S, Yang S, Spaink H. Hyperinsulinemia induces insulin resistance and immune suppression via Ptpn6/Shp1 in zebrafish. J Endocrinol. 2014;222:229-41 pubmed publisher..In addition, our data will be very useful in further studies of the function of immunological determinants in a non-obese model system. ..
- Novoa B, Bowman T, Zon L, Figueras A. LPS response and tolerance in the zebrafish (Danio rerio). Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2009;26:326-31 pubmed publisher..In support of an inhibitory role for CXCR4 in the inflammatory cascade, IL-1 transcript levels were elevated in both unstimulated and LPS stimulated zebrafish Odysseus (CXCR4 deficient mutant) larvae. ..
- Ogryzko N, Renshaw S, Wilson H. The IL-1 family in fish: swimming through the muddy waters of inflammasome evolution. Dev Comp Immunol. 2014;46:53-62 pubmed publisher..Here we review the current understanding of IL-1 evolution in fish and discuss the study of IL-1 processing in these models. ..
- Lagos L, Tandberg J, Becker M, Winther Larsen H. Immunomodulatory properties of Concholepas concholepas hemocyanin against francisellosis in a zebrafish model. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;67:571-574 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the data report the immunoregulatory properties of CCH and its potential use as a vaccine adjuvant for aquaculture. ..
- Krishnaraj C, Harper S, Yun S. In Vivo toxicological assessment of biologically synthesized silver nanoparticles in adult Zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Hazard Mater. 2016;301:480-91 pubmed publisher..and genotoxic effects the mRNA expression of stress related (MTF-1, HSP70) and immune response related (TLR4, NFKB, IL1B, CEBP, TRF, TLR22) genes were analyzed in liver tissues and the results clearly concluded that the plant extract ..
- Perera E, YÃºfera M. Soybean Meal and Soy Protein Concentrate in Early Diet Elicit Different Nutritional Programming Effects on Juvenile Zebrafish. Zebrafish. 2016;13:61-9 pubmed publisher..These findings sustain the rationale of using zebrafish for depicting molecular mechanisms involved in nutritional programming. ..
- Udayangani R, Dananjaya S, Fronte B, Kim C, Lee J, De Zoysa M. Feeding of nano scale oats ?-glucan enhances the host resistance against Edwardsiella tarda and protective immune modulation in zebrafish larvae. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;60:72-77 pubmed publisher..Thus, non-toxic, water soluble and biodegradable NBG from oats could be considered as the potential immunostimulant for larval aquaculture. ..
- Zhang Z, Cheang L, Wang M, Li G, Chu I, Lin Z, et al. Ethanolic extract of fructus Alpinia oxyphylla protects against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced damage of PC12 cells in vitro and dopaminergic neurons in zebrafish. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2012;32:27-40 pubmed publisher..However, it is important that the active components that contribute to the neuroprotective action of AOE are identified and characterized. ..
- Sundaram A, Consuegra S, Kiron V, Fernandes J. Positive selection pressure within teleost Toll-like receptors tlr21 and tlr22 subfamilies and their response to temperature stress and microbial components in zebrafish. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39:8965-75 pubmed publisher..Our data indicates that these teleost tlrs may play a role in innate host defence. In particular, tlr22 is evolving under positive selection, which indicates functional diversification and adaptation of the response to different PAMPs. ..
- Pan C, Wu J, Hui C, Lin C, Chen J. Insights into the antibacterial and immunomodulatory functions of the antimicrobial peptide, epinecidin-1, against Vibrio vulnificus infection in zebrafish. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2011;31:1019-25 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the use of epinecidin-1 to develop inactivated material for fish bacterial infections which can provide guidelines for the future design of epinecidin-1-bacterial formulations for various in vivo applications. ..
- Mesureur J, Feliciano J, Wagner N, Gomes M, Zhang L, Blanco Gonzalez M, et al. Macrophages, but not neutrophils, are critical for proliferation of Burkholderia cenocepacia and ensuing host-damaging inflammation. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006437 pubmed publisher..We suggest that paradigm-changing approaches are needed for development of novel antimicrobials to efficiently disarm intracellular bacteria of this group of highly persistent, opportunistic pathogens. ..
- Bayat N, Lopes V, SchÃ¶lermann J, Jensen L, Cristobal S. Vascular toxicity of ultra-small TiO2 nanoparticles and single walled carbon nanotubes inÂ vitro and inÂ vivo. Biomaterials. 2015;63:1-13 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge this is the first study evaluating the effects of TiO2-USNPs on vascular toxicity inÂ vitro and inÂ vivo and this strategy could unravel USNPs potential applications. ..
- Teyssier L, Colussi J, Delemasure S, Chluba J, Wendehenne D, Lamotte O, et al. Inflammatory Effects of the Plant Protection Product Stifenia (FEN560) on Vertebrates. Front Public Health. 2017;5:74 pubmed publisher..These tests could be routinely used to screen the potential adverse effects of this type of compounds. Finally, our results suggest a potential danger of using extensively certain PDS for crop protection. ..
- Liu D, Brewer M, Chen S, Hong W, Zhu Y. Transcriptomic signatures for ovulation in vertebrates. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;247:74-86 pubmed publisher..Further studies are required to establish relationships among these genes and an ovulatory circuit in the zebrafish model. ..
- Guo S, Zheng J, Yuan S, Zhu Q, Wu C. Immunosuppressive effects and associated compensatory responses in zebrafish after full life-cycle exposure to environmentally relevant concentrations of cadmium. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;188:64-71 pubmed publisher..Taken together, immunosuppressive effects and tissue-dependent compensatory responses were demonstrated in zebrafish after full life-cycle exposure to environmental levels of Cd, indicating a compromise between survival and immunity. ..
- Garcia Valtanen P, Martínez López A, López Muñoz A, Bello Perez M, Medina Gali R, Ortega Villaizan M, et al. Zebra Fish Lacking Adaptive Immunity Acquire an Antiviral Alert State Characterized by Upregulated Gene Expression of Apoptosis, Multigene Families, and Interferon-Related Genes. Front Immunol. 2017;8:121 pubmed publisher..From this and other studies, it might be concluded that some of the characteristics of mammalian trained immunity are present in lower vertebrates. ..
- Zhao Y, Huang X, Ding T, Gong Z. Enhanced angiogenesis, hypoxia and neutrophil recruitment during Myc-induced liver tumorigenesis in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:31952 pubmed publisher..In sum, the current study demonstrated that the Myc-induced liver tumor model in zebrafish provides an excellent platform for study of tumor microenvironment. ..
- Hu Z, Wu B, Meng F, Zhou Z, Lu H, Zhao H. Impact of molecular hydrogen treatments on the innate immune activity and survival of zebrafish (Danio rerio) challenged with Aeromonas hydrophila. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;67:554-560 pubmed publisher..This study is the first one to investigate the effects of HRW on fish infected with bacteria, and might shed new light on hydrogen's antimicrobial effects and further application in aquaculture fish species. ..
- Garcia Reyero N, Escalon B, Prats E, Stanley J, Thienpont B, Melby N, et al. Effects of BDE-209 contaminated sediments on zebrafish development and potential implications to human health. Environ Int. 2014;63:216-23 pubmed publisher..Once accumulated, our data also show that BDE-209 has the potential to cause impacts on both human and environmental health. ..
- Patterson H, Saralahti A, Parikka M, Dramsi S, Trieu Cuot P, Poyart C, et al. Adult zebrafish model of bacterial meningitis in Streptococcus agalactiae infection. Dev Comp Immunol. 2012;38:447-55 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data demonstrates that adult zebrafish may be used as a bacterial meningitis model as a means for deciphering the pathogenesis and development of invasive GBS disease. ..
- Zhu Z, Chen J, Xiong J, Peng J. Haploinsufficiency of Def activates p53-dependent TGF? signalling and causes scar formation after partial hepatectomy. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e96576 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the novel Def- p53 nucleolar pathway functions specifically to prevent a scar formation at the amputation site in a normal amputated liver. ..
- Botthof J, Bielczyk Maczyńska E, Ferreira L, Cvejic A. Loss of the homologous recombination gene rad51 leads to Fanconi anemia-like symptoms in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E4452-E4461 pubmed publisher..Further research on this zebrafish FA model will lead to a deeper understanding of the molecular basis of bone marrow failure in FA and the cellular role of RAD51. ..
- Petrie T, Strand N, Yang C, Tsung Yang C, Rabinowitz J, Moon R. Macrophages modulate adult zebrafish tail fin regeneration. Development. 2014;141:2581-91 pubmed publisher..These results provide a cellular and molecular link between components of the inflammation response and regeneration in adult zebrafish. ..
- Wang Y, Wu S, Chen J, Zhang C, Xu Z, Li G, et al. Single and joint toxicity assessment of four currently used pesticides to zebrafish (Danio rerio) using traditional and molecular endpoints. Chemosphere. 2018;192:14-23 pubmed publisher..Taken together, increased toxicity might be triggered by the simultaneous presence of several pesticides in the aquatic environment, which seriously damaged the non-target organisms...
- Wang L, Huang S, Zhao H, Liu C, Yao L, Shen Y. Activating transcription factor 3 promotes spinal cord regeneration of adult zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;488:522-527 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that ATF3 could promote locomotor recovery and axon regrowth in zebrafish SCI model possibly by regulating inflammatory response. ..
- Chen M, Yin J, Liang Y, Yuan S, Wang F, Song M, et al. Oxidative stress and immunotoxicity induced by graphene oxide in zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;174:54-60 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrated that GO administration in an aquatic system can cause oxidative stress and immune toxicity in adult zebrafish. To our knowledge, this is the first report of immune toxicity of GO in zebrafish. ..
- Liu C, Xie L, Cui C, Chu M, Zhao H, Yao L, et al. Beneficial roles of melanoma cell adhesion molecule in spinal cord transection recovery in adult zebrafish. J Neurochem. 2016;139:187-196 pubmed publisher..MCAM promotes angiogenesis by adjusting VEGFR-2, p-p38 and p-AKT. MCAM affects inflammatory factors such as TNF-?, IL-1? and IL-8. Our results extend the beneficial role of MCAM in the regeneration of central nervous system. ..
- Oyarbide U, Iturria I, Rainieri S, Pardo M. Use of gnotobiotic zebrafish to study Vibrio anguillarum pathogenicity. Zebrafish. 2015;12:71-80 pubmed publisher..alteration of the host immune system was detected through the suppression of a number of innate immune genes (NFKB, IL1B, TLR4, MPX, and TRF) during the first 3 h post infection...
- Schneider A, Gregório C, Uribe Cruz C, Guizzo R, Malysz T, Faccioni Heuser M, et al. Chronic exposure to ethanol causes steatosis and inflammation in zebrafish liver. World J Hepatol. 2017;9:418-426 pubmed publisher..Data suggest that inflammatory signaling and ultrastructural alterations play a significant role during hepatic steatosis in zebrafish chronically exposed to ethanol. ..
- Gu Y, Fang Y, Jin Y, Dong W, Xiang L, Shao J. Discovery of the DIGIRR gene from teleost fish: a novel Toll-IL-1 receptor family member serving as a negative regulator of IL-1 signaling. J Immunol. 2011;187:2514-30 pubmed publisher..These results help define the evolutionary history of TIR family members and their associated signaling pathways and mechanisms. ..
- Watkins B, Joshi S, Ball D, Leggett H, Park S, Kim J, et al. Mycobacterium marinum SecA2 promotes stable granulomas and induces tumor necrosis factor alpha in vivo. Infect Immun. 2012;80:3512-20 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that SecA2 induces granulomas and is required for bacterial modulation of the host response because it affects the mycobacterial cell envelope...
- Estepa A, Coll J. Innate Multigene Family Memories Are Implicated in the Viral-Survivor Zebrafish Phenotype. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0135483 pubmed publisher..The implications of the so-called "trained immunity" for future research in this field are also discussed. ..
- Shan Y, Fang C, Cheng C, Wang Y, Peng J, Fang W. Immersion infection of germ-free zebrafish with Listeria monocytogenes induces transient expression of innate immune response genes. Front Microbiol. 2015;6:373 pubmed publisher..Several selected maker genes of the innate immune system, including cyp1a, irg1l, il1b, and mmp9, were significantly induced by oral immersion not only with strain EGDe, but also with strain M7 and L...
- Xu D, Zhang K, Zhang Z, Sun Y, Guo B, Wang Y, et al. A novel tetramethylpyrazine bis-nitrone (TN-2) protects against 6-hydroxyldopamine-induced neurotoxicity via modulation of the NF-?B and the PKC?/PI3-K/Akt pathways. Neurochem Int. 2014;78:76-85 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that TN-2 protected against 6-OHDA-induced neurotoxicity via modulating the NF-?B-medicated neuroinflammation and PKC?/PI3-K/Akt pathways. ..
- Zhang C, Zhang J, Ren H, Zhou B, Wu Q, Sun P. Effect of tributyltin on antioxidant ability and immune responses of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;138:1-8 pubmed publisher..The results indicated that TBT induced oxidative stress and had immunotoxic effects on zebrafish. ..
- Dorsemans A, Soulé S, Weger M, Bourdon E, Lefebvre d Hellencourt C, Meilhac O, et al. Impaired constitutive and regenerative neurogenesis in adult hyperglycemic zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2017;525:442-458 pubmed publisher..In addition, our study reinforces the utility of zebrafish as a robust model for studying the effects of metabolic disorders on the central nervous system. J. Comp. Neurol. 525:442-458, 2017. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Marjoram L, Alvers A, Deerhake M, Bagwell J, Mankiewicz J, Cocchiaro J, et al. Epigenetic control of intestinal barrier function and inflammation in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:2770-5 pubmed publisher..We propose that loss of epigenetic repression and TNF induction in the intestinal epithelium can lead to IBD onset. ..
- Tong J, Meng L, Wang X, Liu L, Lyu L, Wang C, et al. The FBPase Encoding Gene glpX Is Required for Gluconeogenesis, Bacterial Proliferation and Division In Vivo of Mycobacterium marinum. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0156663 pubmed publisher..Together, our results indicate that glpX has essential functions in gluconeogenesis, and plays an indispensable role in bacterial proliferation in vivo and virulence of M. marinum. ..
- Nayak A, Lage C, Kim C. Effects of low concentrations of arsenic on the innate immune system of the zebrafish (Danio rerio). Toxicol Sci. 2007;98:118-24 pubmed..To our knowledge, this is the first report describing the effects of such low levels of arsenic on host resistance to infection. ..
- Szabó E, Plangar I, Tokés T, Mán I, Polanek R, Kovacs R, et al. l-Alpha Glycerylphosphorylcholine as a Potential Radioprotective Agent in Zebrafish Embryo Model. Zebrafish. 2016;13:481-488 pubmed..GPC exhibited promising radioprotective effects in our zebrafish embryo model, decreasing the irradiation-induced morphological damage and lethality with significant reduction of IR-caused pro-inflammatory activation. ..
- Nguyen Chi M, Laplace Builhé B, Travnickova J, Luz Crawford P, Tejedor G, Lutfalla G, et al. TNF signaling and macrophages govern fin regeneration in zebrafish larvae. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2979 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that TNFR1 has a necessary and direct role in blastema cell activation suggesting that macrophage subset balance provides the accurate TNF? signal to prime regeneration in zebrafish. ..