Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ikzf1
Description: IKAROS family zinc finger 1 (Ikaros)
Alias: ikaros, znfn1a1, DNA-binding protein Ikaros, zinc finger protein, subfamily 1A, 1 (Ikaros)
- Trede N, Ota T, Kawasaki H, Paw B, Katz T, Demarest B, et al. Zebrafish mutants with disrupted early T-cell and thymus development identified in early pressure screen. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:2575-84 pubmed publisher..We discuss the advantage of this strategy and the general usefulness of the zebrafish as a model system for vertebrate lymphopoiesis and thymic organogenesis. ..
- Sabaawy H, Azuma M, Embree L, Tsai H, Starost M, Hickstein D. TEL-AML1 transgenic zebrafish model of precursor B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:15166-71 pubmed
- van Riel B, Pakozdi T, Brouwer R, Monteiro R, Tuladhar K, Franke V, et al. A novel complex, RUNX1-MYEF2, represses hematopoietic genes in erythroid cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:3814-22 pubmed publisher..Functional analysis shows that a subset of the target genes is suppressed by RUNX1 via the newly identified partner MYEF2. Knockdown of Myef2 expression in developing zebrafish results in a reduced number of HSC. ..
- Tsinkalovsky O, Vik Mo A, Ferreira S, Laerum O, Fjose A. Zebrafish kidney marrow contains ABCG2-dependent side population cells exhibiting hematopoietic stem cell properties. Differentiation. 2007;75:175-83 pubmed..These rapid flow cytometric methods for purification of HSCs from zebrafish may greatly facilitate genetic analysis of stem cells using the advantages of this vertebrate model...
- Mönnich M, Hess I, Wiest W, Bachrati C, Hickson I, Schorpp M, et al. Developing T lymphocytes are uniquely sensitive to a lack of topoisomerase III alpha. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:2379-84 pubmed publisher..Deficiency in top3a activates a p53-dependent check-point but does not affect VDJ recombination. Our results suggest that TOP3A could be a candidate gene involved in human primary immunodeficiency syndromes. ..
- Sertori R, Liongue C, Basheer F, Lewis K, Rasighaemi P, de Coninck D, et al. Conserved IL-2RÎ³c Signaling Mediates Lymphopoiesis in Zebrafish. J Immunol. 2016;196:135-43 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that conserved IL-2RÎ³c signaling via JAK3 plays a key role during early zebrafish lymphopoiesis, which can be potentially targeted to generate a zebrafish model of human SCID. ..
- Hirabayashi R, Hozumi S, Higashijima S, Kikuchi Y. Ddx46 is required for multi-lineage differentiation of hematopoietic stem cells in zebrafish. Stem Cells Dev. 2013;22:2532-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results provide the first genetic evidence that zebrafish Ddx46 is required for the multilineage differentiation of HSCs during development, through the regulation of specific gene expressions. ..
- Novikov N, Evans T. Tmem88a mediates GATA-dependent specification of cardiomyocyte progenitors by restricting WNT signaling. Development. 2013;140:3787-98 pubmed publisher..Tmem88a is a novel component of the regulatory mechanism controlling the second phase of biphasic WNT activity essential for embryonic cardiogenesis. ..
- Choorapoikayil S, Kers R, Herbomel P, Kissa K, den Hertog J. Pivotal role of Pten in the balance between proliferation and differentiation of hematopoietic stem cells in zebrafish. Blood. 2014;123:184-90 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Pten has an essential role in the balance between proliferation and differentiation of blood cells. ..
- Soza Ried C, Bleul C, Schorpp M, Boehm T. Maintenance of thymic epithelial phenotype requires extrinsic signals in mouse and zebrafish. J Immunol. 2008;181:5272-7 pubmed..These results indicate an evolutionarily conserved role of BMP signaling in the maintenance of Foxn1 expression. ..
- Zhang Z, Jia H, Zhang Q, Wan Y, Zhou Y, Jia Q, et al. Assessment of hematopoietic failure due to Rpl11 deficiency in a zebrafish model of Diamond-Blackfan anemia by deep sequencing. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:896 pubmed publisher..The present analyses demonstrate that Rpl11-deficient zebrafish may serve as a model of DBA and may provide insights into the pathogenesis of mutant RPL11-mediated human DBA disease...
- Lam S, Sin Y, Gong Z, Lam T. Effects of thyroid hormone on the development of immune system in zebrafish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2005;142:325-35 pubmed..With the exception of Ikaros, MMI-treated fish has lower immune-related gene expression levels, although it is not certain whether the effect ..
- Hess I, Boehm T. Intravital imaging of thymopoiesis reveals dynamic lympho-epithelial interactions. Immunity. 2012;36:298-309 pubmed publisher..Thymocyte development appears to be completed in less than 4 days. Our work establishes a versatile model for the in vivo observation and manipulation of thymopoiesis. ..
- Sumanas S, Zhang B, Dai R, Lin S. 15-zinc finger protein Bloody Fingers is required for zebrafish morphogenetic movements during neurulation. Dev Biol. 2005;283:85-96 pubmed..We conclude that blf plays an important role in regulating morphogenetic movements during gastrulation and neurulation while its role in hematopoiesis may be redundant. ..
- Lewis R, Noor S, Fraser F, Sertori R, Liongue C, Ward A. Regulation of embryonic hematopoiesis by a cytokine-inducible SH2 domain homolog in zebrafish. J Immunol. 2014;192:5739-48 pubmed publisher..This occurred concomitantly with increased activation of STAT5. This study indicates that CISH functions as a conserved in vivo target and regulator of STAT5 in the control of embryonic hematopoiesis. ..
- Lin K, Ho Y, Chiang J, Li M, Lin S, Chen W, et al. Pharmacological activation of lysophosphatidic acid receptors regulates erythropoiesis. Sci Rep. 2016;6:27050 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that LPA2 and LPA3 play opposing roles during RBC differentiation. The pharmacological activation of LPA receptor subtypes represent a novel strategies for augmenting or inhibiting erythropoiesis. ..
- Lu X, Wei Y, Liu F. Direct regulation of p53 by miR-142a-3p mediates the survival of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells in zebrafish. Cell Discov. 2015;1:15027 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our work reveals the significance of the miR-142a-3p-p53 pathway in controlling hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell survival, and thus advances our understanding of the role of p53 in vertebrate hematopoiesis. ..
- Seiler C, Gebhart N, Zhang Y, Shinton S, Li Y, Ross N, et al. Mutagenesis Screen Identifies agtpbp1 and eps15L1 as Essential for T lymphocyte Development in Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0131908 pubmed publisher..Morpholino-mediated knockdown of these genes mimicked the T cell defects in the corresponding mutant embryos, demonstrating the previously unrecognized, essential roles of agtpbp1 and eps15L1 in T cell development. ..
- Rissone A, Weinacht K, la Marca G, Bishop K, Giocaliere E, Jagadeesh J, et al. Reticular dysgenesis-associated AK2 protects hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell development from oxidative stress. J Exp Med. 2015;212:1185-202 pubmed publisher..Our results link hematopoietic cell fate in AK2 deficiency to cellular energy depletion and increased oxidative stress. This points to the potential use of antioxidants as a supportive therapeutic modality for patients with RD. ..
- Keightley M, Layton J, Hayman J, Heath J, Lieschke G. Mediator subunit 12 is required for neutrophil development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23845 pubmed publisher..Syr shows defects in hematopoiesis, which predominantly affect the myeloid lineage. Syr has identified a hematopoietic cell-specific requirement for Med12, suggesting a new role for this transcriptional regulator. ..
- Batista C, Figueiredo M, Almeida D, Romano L, Marins L. Impairment of the immune system in GH-overexpressing transgenic zebrafish (Danio rerio). Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2014;36:519-24 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, a decrease was noted in the expression of genes RAG-1 (60%), IKAROS (50%), IL-1? (55%), CD4 (60%) and CD247 (40%), indicating that development parameters, of innate and acquired ..
- Bresciani E, Carrington B, Wincovitch S, Jones M, Gore A, Weinstein B, et al. CBF? and RUNX1 are required at 2 different steps during the development of hematopoietic stem cells in zebrafish. Blood. 2014;124:70-8 pubmed publisher..Our results also indicate that RUNX1 can drive the emergence of nascent HSCs in the AGM without its heterodimeric partner CBF?. ..
- Iwanami N. Zebrafish as a model for understanding the evolution of the vertebrate immune system and human primary immunodeficiency. Exp Hematol. 2014;42:697-706 pubmed publisher..Thus, I propose that genetic approaches using the zebrafish hold great potential for a better understanding of molecular mechanisms of human primary immunodeficiencies and the evolution of vertebrate immune systems. ..
- Pase L, Layton J, Wittmann C, Ellett F, Nowell C, Reyes Aldasoro C, et al. Neutrophil-delivered myeloperoxidase dampens the hydrogen peroxide burst after tissue wounding in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2012;22:1818-24 pubmed publisher..Durif provides a new animal model of myeloperoxidase deficiency closely phenocopying the prevalent human disorder [7, 12, 13], offering unique possibilities for investigating its clinical consequences. ..
- Bresciani E, Confalonieri S, Cermenati S, Cimbro S, Foglia E, Beltrame M, et al. Zebrafish numb and numblike are involved in primitive erythrocyte differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14296 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we found that, at least in part, the nb/nbl morphant phenotype is due to enhanced Notch activation within hematopoietic districts, which in turn results in primitive erythroid differentiation defects. ..
- Dresner E, Malishkevich A, Arviv C, Leibman Barak S, Alon S, Ofir R, et al. Novel evolutionary-conserved role for the activity-dependent neuroprotective protein (ADNP) family that is important for erythropoiesis. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:40173-85 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results reveal an ancestral role for the ADNP protein family in maturation and differentiation of the erythroid lineage, associated with direct regulation of ?-globin expression. ..
- Juarez M, Su F, Chun S, Kiel M, Lyons S. Distinct roles for SCL in erythroid specification and maturation in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:41636-44 pubmed..Our results revealed that Scl participates in multiple processes requiring different levels and functions. Further, we identified an Scl hypomorphic phenotype distinct from the null state. ..
- Mahony C, Fish R, Pasche C, Bertrand J. tfec controls the hematopoietic stem cell vascular niche during zebrafish embryogenesis. Blood. 2016;128:1336-45 pubmed publisher..The full comprehension of the mechanisms induced by tfec will represent an important milestone toward the expansion of HSCs for regenerative purposes. ..
- Trede N, Medenbach J, Damianov A, Hung L, Weber G, Paw B, et al. Network of coregulated spliceosome components revealed by zebrafish mutant in recycling factor p110. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:6608-13 pubmed..Together, our data demonstrate that a mutation in a general splicing factor can lead to distinct defects in organ development and cause disease. ..
- Lawir D, Iwanami N, Schorpp M, Boehm T. A missense mutation in zbtb17 blocks the earliest steps of T cell differentiation in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2017;7:44145 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal the zbtb17-socs1 axis as an evolutionarily conserved central regulatory module of early T cell development of vertebrates. ..
- Lam S, Chua H, Gong Z, Lam T, Sin Y. Development and maturation of the immune system in zebrafish, Danio rerio: a gene expression profiling, in situ hybridization and immunological study. Dev Comp Immunol. 2004;28:9-28 pubmed..b>Ikaros expression was first detected at 1 day post-fertilization (dpf) and thereafter increased gradually to more than ..
- Soza Ried C, Hess I, Netuschil N, Schorpp M, Boehm T. Essential role of c-myb in definitive hematopoiesis is evolutionarily conserved. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:17304-8 pubmed publisher..Our results, therefore, suggest that the key role of c-myb in definitive hematopoiesis is similar to that in mammals and must have become established early in vertebrate evolution. ..
- Wang S, He Q, Ma D, Xue Y, Liu F. Irf4 Regulates the Choice between T Lymphoid-Primed Progenitor and Myeloid Lineage Fates during Embryogenesis. Dev Cell. 2015;34:621-31 pubmed publisher..1 expression to prevent an alternate fate. Our findings provide insight into the fate determination mechanism of T lymphoid-primed progenitors. ..
- Songhet P, Adzic D, Reibe S, Rohr K. fgf1 is required for normal differentiation of erythrocytes in zebrafish primitive hematopoiesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:633-43 pubmed..As its knockdown in zebrafish changes expression of gata1, a gene involved in hematopoietic stem cell decisions, FGF1 should be considered to play a role in the pathogenesis of del(5q) syndrome. ..
- Galloway J, Wingert R, Thisse C, Thisse B, Zon L. Combinatorial regulation of novel erythroid gene expression in zebrafish. Exp Hematol. 2008;36:424-32 pubmed publisher..Additionally, these studies establish that blood gene expression programs are regulated by transcription factors acting in combination during erythroid maturation. ..
- Rasighaemi P, Onnebo S, Liongue C, Ward A. ETV6 (TEL1) regulates embryonic hematopoiesis in zebrafish. Haematologica. 2015;100:23-31 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that ETV6 plays a broader and more complex role in early hematopoiesis than previously thought, impacting on the development of multiple lineages. ..
- Batista C, Figueiredo M, Almeida D, Romano L, Marins L. Effects of somatotrophic axis (GH/GHR) double transgenesis on structural and molecular aspects of the zebrafish immune system. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2015;45:725-32 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that GHR overexpression does not reverse the impairments caused by GH and, in addition, could reinforce the damage to the immune functions in GH transgenic zebrafish. ..
- Pillay L, Mackowetzky K, Widen S, Waskiewicz A. Somite-Derived Retinoic Acid Regulates Zebrafish Hematopoietic Stem Cell Formation. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0166040 pubmed publisher..Our analyses demonstrate that somite-derived RA functions to regulate components of the Notch and Cxcl12 chemokine signaling pathways during HSC formation. ..
- Miyake A, Mekata Y, Fujibayashi H, Nakanishi K, Konishi M, Itoh N. Brorin is required for neurogenesis, gliogenesis, and commissural axon guidance in the zebrafish forebrain. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176036 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest that Brorin is a secreted Bmp antagonist predominantly expressed in developing neural tissues and that it plays multiple roles in the development of the zebrafish forebrain. ..
- Onnebo S, Rasighaemi P, Kumar J, Liongue C, Ward A. Alternative TEL-JAK2 fusions associated with T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia and atypical chronic myelogenous leukemia dissected in zebrafish. Haematologica. 2012;97:1895-903 pubmed publisher..The data further suggest that this class of oncogene exerts its effects in a cell lineage-specific manner, which may be due to differences in downstream signaling. ..
- Ransom D, Bahary N, Niss K, Traver D, Burns C, Trede N, et al. The zebrafish moonshine gene encodes transcriptional intermediary factor 1gamma, an essential regulator of hematopoiesis. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E237 pubmed..Our results establish a major role for this transcriptional intermediary factor in the differentiation of hematopoietic cells in vertebrates. ..
- Rowlinson J, Gering M. Hey2 acts upstream of Notch in hematopoietic stem cell specification in zebrafish embryos. Blood. 2010;116:2046-56 pubmed publisher..These results establish an essential role for Hey2 upstream of Notch in HSC formation. ..
- Langenau D, Zon L. The zebrafish: a new model of T-cell and thymic development. Nat Rev Immunol. 2005;5:307-17 pubmed..Finally, we summarize the use of the zebrafish as a new model for assessing stem-cell function and for drug discovery. ..
- Lu X, Li X, He Q, Gao J, Gao Y, Liu B, et al. miR-142-3p regulates the formation and differentiation of hematopoietic stem cells in vertebrates. Cell Res. 2013;23:1356-68 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings unveil the pivotal roles that miR-142a-3p plays in the formation and differentiation of HSCs by repressing irf7 signaling...
- Cooney J, Hildick Smith G, Shafizadeh E, McBride P, Carroll K, Anderson H, et al. Teleost growth factor independence (gfi) genes differentially regulate successive waves of hematopoiesis. Dev Biol. 2013;373:431-41 pubmed publisher..Conversely, loss of gfi1b silences runx-1, c-myb, ikaros and cd41, indicating that gfi1b is required for definitive hematopoiesis...
- Leung A, Mendenhall E, Kwan T, Liang R, Eckfeldt C, Chen E, et al. Characterization of expanded intermediate cell mass in zebrafish chordin morphant embryos. Dev Biol. 2005;277:235-54 pubmed..BMP4, but not BMP2b or 7, was involved in this process. The results provide ground for further research into the mechanisms of embryonic hematopoietic cell expansion. ..
- Silva A, Aw D, Palmer D. Evolutionary conservation of neuropeptide expression in the thymus of different species. Immunology. 2006;118:131-40 pubmed..These findings suggest that neuropeptides may play an important role in T-cell development and provide further evidence of cross talk between the immune and neuroendocrine systems. ..
- Bajoghli B, Aghaallaei N, Hess I, Rode I, Netuschil N, Tay B, et al. Evolution of genetic networks underlying the emergence of thymopoiesis in vertebrates. Cell. 2009;138:186-97 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a framework elucidating the evolution of key features of the adaptive immune system in jawed vertebrates...
- Ma D, Wang L, Wang S, Gao Y, Wei Y, Liu F. Foxn1 maintains thymic epithelial cells to support T-cell development via mcm2 in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:21040-5 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that the foxn1-mcm2 axis plays a central role in the genetic regulatory network controlling thymus development in zebrafish...
- Onnebo S, Condron M, McPhee D, Lieschke G, Ward A. Hematopoietic perturbation in zebrafish expressing a tel-jak2a fusion. Exp Hematol. 2005;33:182-8 pubmed..These results indicate that the zebrafish tel-jak2a oncoprotein is functional, and suggest that this organism will be useful for the experimental study of myeloid malignancy. ..
- Gore A, Athans B, Iben J, Johnson K, Russanova V, Castranova D, et al. Epigenetic regulation of hematopoiesis by DNA methylation. elife. 2016;5:e11813 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal an epigenetic mechanism supporting the maintenance of hematopoietic cell fate via DNA methylation-mediated perdurance of a key transcription factor in HSPCs. ..
- O Sullivan L, Noor S, Trengove M, Lewis R, Liongue C, Sprigg N, et al. Suppressor of cytokine signaling 1 regulates embryonic myelopoiesis independently of its effects on T cell development. J Immunol. 2011;186:4751-61 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate a conserved role for SOCS1 in T cell development and suggest a novel T cell-independent function in embryonic myelopoiesis mediated, at least in part, via its effects on receptors using the Jak2-Stat5 pathway. ..
- Paffett Lugassy N, Hsia N, Fraenkel P, Paw B, Leshinsky I, Barut B, et al. Functional conservation of erythropoietin signaling in zebrafish. Blood. 2007;110:2718-26 pubmed..in severe polycythemia, characterized by a striking increase in the number of cells expressing scl, c-myb, gata1, ikaros, epor, and betae1-globin, suggesting that both the erythroid progenitor and mature erythrocyte compartments ..
- Amigo J, Ackermann G, Cope J, Yu M, Cooney J, Ma D, et al. The role and regulation of friend of GATA-1 (FOG-1) during blood development in the zebrafish. Blood. 2009;114:4654-63 pubmed publisher..One of these enhancers contains functional GATA-binding sites, indicating the potential for a regulatory loop in which GATA factors control the expression of their partner protein FOG-1. ..
- Paik E, Zon L. Hematopoietic development in the zebrafish. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:1127-37 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will summarize hematopoiesis in the zebrafish and discuss how genetic approaches using the zebrafish system have helped to build our current knowledge in the field of hematopoiesis. ..
- Monteiro R, Pouget C, Patient R. The gata1/pu.1 lineage fate paradigm varies between blood populations and is modulated by tif1?. EMBO J. 2011;30:1093-103 pubmed publisher..1 in primitive erythroid and prodefinitive erythromyeloid progenitors. We therefore conclude that the gata1/pu.1 paradigm for lineage decisions takes different forms in different cellular contexts and is modulated by tif1?. ..
- Schorpp M, Bialecki M, Diekhoff D, Walderich B, Odenthal J, Maischein H, et al. Conserved functions of Ikaros in vertebrate lymphocyte development: genetic evidence for distinct larval and adult phases of T cell development and two lineages of B cells in zebrafish. J Immunol. 2006;177:2463-76 pubmed..In this study, we examine the role of the transcription factor Ikaros in zebrafish lymphopoiesis...