Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ihhb
Description: Indian hedgehog homolog b
Alias: IHH, ehh, zgc:113262, indian hedgehog B protein, echidna hedgehog protein, hh[b], hhb
- Pollard S, Parsons M, Kamei M, Kettleborough R, Thomas K, Pham V, et al. Essential and overlapping roles for laminin alpha chains in notochord and blood vessel formation. Dev Biol. 2006;289:64-76 pubmed
- Park S, Davison J, Rhee J, Hruban R, Maitra A, Leach S. Oncogenic KRAS induces progenitor cell expansion and malignant transformation in zebrafish exocrine pancreas. Gastroenterology. 2008;134:2080-90 pubmed publisher..To examine the effects of oncogene activation within the pancreatic progenitor pool, we devised a system for real-time visualization of both normal and oncogenic KRAS-expressing pancreatic progenitor cells in living zebrafish embryos...
- Chandrasekar G, Arner A, Kitambi S, Dahlman Wright K, Lendahl M. Developmental toxicity of the environmental pollutant 4-nonylphenol in zebrafish. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:752-64 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that 4-NP enduringly affects the embryonic development in zebrafish and that this compound might exert these deleterious effects through diverse signaling pathways. ..
- Eames B, Yan Y, Swartz M, Levic D, Knapik E, Postlethwait J, et al. Mutations in fam20b and xylt1 reveal that cartilage matrix controls timing of endochondral ossification by inhibiting chondrocyte maturation. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002246 pubmed publisher..PG)-rich matrix, then undergo a developmental transition, termed "maturation," when they express ihh to induce bone in the overlying tissue, the perichondrium...
- Du S, Dienhart M. Gli2 mediation of hedgehog signals in slow muscle induction in zebrafish. Differentiation. 2001;67:84-91 pubmed..Induction of slow muscles by other Hhs appeared to require Gli2, because ectopic expression of Echidna hedgehog (Ehh) and Tiggy-winkle hedgehog (Twhh) failed to induce slow muscles in yot mutant embryos...
- Lele Z, Hartson S, Martin C, Whitesell L, Matts R, Krone P. Disruption of zebrafish somite development by pharmacologic inhibition of Hsp90. Dev Biol. 1999;210:56-70 pubmed..The data are consistent with there being a temporal and spatial requirement for Hsp90 function within somitic cells which is necessary for the formation of eng-2-expressing muscle pioneers and possibly other striated muscle fiber types. ..
- Bhattacharya P, Yan Y, Postlethwait J, Rubin D. Evolution of the vertebrate pth2 (tip39) gene family and the regulation of PTH type 2 receptor (pth2r) and its endogenous ligand pth2 by hedgehog signaling in zebrafish development. J Endocrinol. 2011;211:187-200 pubmed publisher..The considerable evolutionary conservation in genomic structure, synteny relationships, and expression of zebrafish pth2 and pth2r provides a foundation for exploring the endocrine roles of this system in developing vertebrate embryos. ..
- Kano S, Xiao J, Osorio J, Ekker M, Hadzhiev Y, Muller F, et al. Two lamprey Hedgehog genes share non-coding regulatory sequences and expression patterns with gnathostome Hedgehogs. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13332 pubmed publisher..genome assembly of the sea lamprey Petromyzon marinus indicate that lampreys have two Hh genes, named Hha and Hhb. Phylogenetic analyses suggest that Hha and Hhb are lamprey-specific paralogs closely related to Sonic/Indian Hh ..
- Lauderdale J, Pasquali S, Fazel R, van Eeden F, Schauerte H, Haffter P, et al. Regulation of netrin-1a expression by hedgehog proteins. Mol Cell Neurosci. 1998;11:194-205 pubmed..These data demonstrate that in vertebrates netrin expression is regulated by Hedgehog signaling. ..
- Huycke T, Eames B, Kimmel C. Hedgehog-dependent proliferation drives modular growth during morphogenesis of a dermal bone. Development. 2012;139:2371-80 pubmed publisher..Hence, patterning within a module may include adjacent regions of functionally related bones and might require that signaling pathways function over an extended period of development. ..
- Armstrong B, Henner A, Stewart S, Stankunas K. Shh promotes direct interactions between epidermal cells and osteoblast progenitors to shape regenerated zebrafish bone. Development. 2017;144:1165-1176 pubmed publisher..Progressively separated pObs pools then continue regenerating independently to collectively re-form a now branched skeletal structure. ..
- Wang N, Sun Y, Liu J, Wang Y, Zhu Z. Molecular characterization of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) Sonic Hedgehog and discovery of its maternal expression. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:299-305 pubmed
- Wang Y, Qian L, Dong Y, Jiang Q, Gui Y, Zhong T, et al. Myocyte-specific enhancer factor 2A is essential for zebrafish posterior somite development. Mech Dev. 2006;123:783-91 pubmed..Microarray studies reveal a number of genes that are differentially expressed in the MEF2A morphants. Our studies suggest that MEF2A is essential for zebrafish posterior somite development. ..
- Wang J, Cao J, Dickson A, Poss K. Epicardial regeneration is guided by cardiac outflow tract and Hedgehog signalling. Nature. 2015;522:226-230 pubmed publisher..These findings extend our understanding of tissue interactions during regeneration and have implications for mobilizing epicardial cells for therapeutic heart repair. ..
- Sun S, Gui Y, Jiang Q, Song H. Dihydrofolate reductase is required for the development of heart and outflow tract in zebrafish. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2011;43:957-69 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study suggested that DHFR plays crucial roles in the development of heart and OFT in zebrafish by regulating gene transcriptions and affecting cell proliferation and apoptosis. ..
- Lin Y, White R, Torelli S, Cirak S, Muntoni F, Stemple D. Zebrafish Fukutin family proteins link the unfolded protein response with dystroglycanopathies. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:1763-75 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that Fukutin family proteins may play important roles in protein secretion and that the UPR may contribute to the phenotypic spectrum of some dystroglycanopathies in humans...
- Williams L, Timme Laragy A, Goldstone J, McArthur A, Stegeman J, Smolowitz R, et al. Developmental expression of the Nfe2-related factor (Nrf) transcription factor family in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e79574 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a foundation for understanding the role of nrf genes in normal development and in regulating the response to oxidative stress in vertebrate embryos. ..
- Jackman W, Yoo J, Stock D. Hedgehog signaling is required at multiple stages of zebrafish tooth development. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:119 pubmed publisher..for, but did not detect, tooth germ expression of the other known zebrafish hedgehog ligands shhb, dhh, ihha, or ihhb, suggesting that as in mammals, only Shh participates in zebrafish tooth development...
- Corallo D, Schiavinato A, Trapani V, Moro E, Argenton F, Bonaldo P. Emilin3 is required for notochord sheath integrity and interacts with Scube2 to regulate notochord-derived Hedgehog signals. Development. 2013;140:4594-601 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study reveals a new role for an EMILIN protein and reinforces the concept that structure and function of the notochord are strictly linked. ..
- Kague E, Roy P, Asselin G, Hu G, Simonet J, Stanley A, et al. Osterix/Sp7 limits cranial bone initiation sites and is required for formation of sutures. Dev Biol. 2016;413:160-72 pubmed publisher..The delay in bone maturation caused by loss of Sp7 leads to unregulated bone formation, revealing a new mechanism for patterning the skull and sutures. ..
- Hadzhiev Y, Lele Z, Schindler S, Wilson S, Ahlberg P, Strahle U, et al. Hedgehog signaling patterns the outgrowth of unpaired skeletal appendages in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:75 pubmed..The median fins evolved before paired fins in early craniates, thus the patterning of the median fins may be an ancestral mechanism that controls the outgrowth of skeletogenic appendages in vertebrates. ..
- Beattie C, Hatta K, Halpern M, Liu H, Eisen J, Kimmel C. Temporal separation in the specification of primary and secondary motoneurons in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 1997;187:171-82 pubmed..These results suggest that both primary and secondary motoneurons are specified by signals from midline tissues, but at very different stages of embryonic development. ..
- Yamamoto M, Morita R, Mizoguchi T, Matsuo H, Isoda M, Ishitani T, et al. Mib-Jag1-Notch signalling regulates patterning and structural roles of the notochord by controlling cell-fate decisions. Development. 2010;137:2527-37 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a previously unrecognized mechanism regulating the patterning and structural roles of the notochord by Mib-Jag1-Notch signalling-mediated cell-fate determination. ..
- Esterberg R, Delalande J, Fritz A. Tailbud-derived Bmp4 drives proliferation and inhibits maturation of zebrafish chordamesoderm. Development. 2008;135:3891-901 pubmed publisher..Our results illustrate a role for Bmp4 in the proliferation and timely differentiation of axial tissue after DV axis specification. ..
- Pagnon Minot A, Malbouyres M, Haftek Terreau Z, Kim H, Sasaki T, Thisse C, et al. Collagen XV, a novel factor in zebrafish notochord differentiation and muscle development. Dev Biol. 2008;316:21-35 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that collagen XV is required for notochord differentiation and muscle development in the zebrafish embryo and that it interplays with Shh signalling. ..
- Ingham P, Kim H. Hedgehog signalling and the specification of muscle cell identity in the zebrafish embryo. Exp Cell Res. 2005;306:336-42 pubmed..Distinct muscle cell identities are induced by varying levels of signalling activity. The SET domain transcription factor, Blimp1, is a key target of Hedgehog signalling in this process. ..
- Cheesman S, Layden M, Von Ohlen T, Doe C, Eisen J. Zebrafish and fly Nkx6 proteins have similar CNS expression patterns and regulate motoneuron formation. Development. 2004;131:5221-32 pubmed..Overexpression of fish or fly Nkx6 is sufficient to generate supernumerary motoneurons in both zebrafish and flies. These results suggest that one ancestral function of Nkx6 proteins was to promote motoneuron development. ..
- Dheen T, Sleptsova Friedrich I, Xu Y, Clark M, Lehrach H, Gong Z, et al. Zebrafish tbx-c functions during formation of midline structures. Development. 1999;126:2703-13 pubmed..These data and analysis of midline (ntl-/- and flh-/-) and lateral mesoderm (spt-/-) mutants suggest that tbx-c may function during formation of the notochord. ..
- Haga Y, Dominique V, Du S. Analyzing notochord segmentation and intervertebral disc formation using the twhh:gfp transgenic zebrafish model. Transgenic Res. 2009;18:669-83 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that the twhh:gfp transgenic zebrafish is a useful model for studying vertebral segmentation and disc formation, and moreover, that RA signaling may play a role in this process...
- Chung A, Kim S, Kim E, Kim D, Jeong I, Cha Y, et al. Indian hedgehog B function is required for the specification of oligodendrocyte progenitor cells in the zebrafish CNS. J Neurosci. 2013;33:1728-33 pubmed publisher..The current study demonstrates that Indian Hedgehog b (Ihhb), previously known as Echidna Hedgehog, begins to be expressed in the floor plate cells of the ventral spinal cord ..
- Lewis K, Bates J, Eisen J. Regulation of iro3 expression in the zebrafish spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:140-8 pubmed..We discuss our findings in the context of previous studies, suggesting that iro3 represses formation of motoneurons and promotes formation of interneurons. ..
- Ryckebusch L, Hernandez L, Wang C, Phan J, Yelon D. Tmem2 regulates cell-matrix interactions that are essential for muscle fiber attachment. Development. 2016;143:2965-72 pubmed publisher..These findings evoke possible connections between the functions of Tmem2 and the etiologies of congenital muscular dystrophies, particularly dystroglycanopathies. ..
- Sugimoto K, Hui S, Sheng D, Kikuchi K. Dissection of zebrafish shha function using site-specific targeting with a Cre-dependent genetic switch. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..i>Zwitch will extend the utility of zebrafish in organ development and regeneration research and might be applicable to other model organisms. ..