Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: igf1
Description: insulin-like growth factor 1
Alias: IGF-1, IGF-1L, IGF-1a, IGF-I, insulin-like growth factor I, igf1a
- Maures T, Chan S, Xu B, Sun H, Ding J, Duan C. Structural, biochemical, and expression analysis of two distinct insulin-like growth factor I receptors and their ligands in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2002;143:1858-71 pubmed..The differential expression pattern of IGF-IRa and IGF-IRb suggest that they may play distinct roles in regulating the growth and development of zebrafish. ..
- van der Meulen T, Schipper H, van den Boogaart J, Huising M, Kranenbarg S, Van Leeuwen J. Endurance exercise differentially stimulates heart and axial muscle development in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;291:R1040-8 pubmed..In contrast, the heart muscle shifts to a faster phenotype but does not become more aerobic. This suggests that endurance training differentially affects heart and axial muscle. ..
- Zou S, Kamei H, Modi Z, Duan C. Zebrafish IGF genes: gene duplication, conservation and divergence, and novel roles in midline and notochord development. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7026 pubmed publisher..These results not only provide new insights into the functional conservation and divergence of the multiple igf genes but also reveal a novel role of IGF signaling in midline formation and notochord development in a vertebrate model...
- Kuradomi R, Figueiredo M, Lanes C, da Rosa C, Almeida D, Maggioni R, et al. GH overexpression causes muscle hypertrophy independent from local IGF-I in a zebrafish transgenic model. Transgenic Res. 2011;20:513-21 pubmed publisher..revealed that transgenic hypertrophy is independent from local induction of insulin-like growth factor 1 gene (igf1)...
- Sakowski S, Lunn J, Busta A, Oh S, Zamora Berridi G, Palmer M, et al. Neuromuscular effects of G93A-SOD1 expression in zebrafish. Mol Neurodegener. 2012;7:44 pubmed publisher..This sequence of events reflects the stepwise mechanisms of degeneration in ALS, and provides a novel model for mechanistic discovery and therapeutic development for neuromuscular degeneration in ALS. ..
- Chemello G, Piccinetti C, Randazzo B, Carnevali O, Maradonna F, Magro M, et al. Oxytetracycline Delivery in Adult Female Zebrafish by Iron Oxide Nanoparticles. Zebrafish. 2016;13:495-503 pubmed..However, the dynamics related to OTC release from the SAMNs@OTC complex are still not clear and need further investigations. ..
- Tsai T, Lu J, Choo S, Yeh S, Tang R, Lee H, et al. The paracrine effect of exogenous growth hormone alleviates dysmorphogenesis caused by tbx5 deficiency in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. J Biomed Sci. 2012;19:63 pubmed publisher..enhance the expression of downstream mediators in the GH and insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 pathway, including igf1, ghra, and ghrb, and signal transductors (erk1, akt2), and eventually to correct dysmorphogenesis in various organs ..
- Hu M, Gong H, Lin G, Hu S, Chen M, Huang S, et al. XBP-1, a key regulator of unfolded protein response, activates transcription of IGF1 and Akt phosphorylation in zebrafish embryonic cell line. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;359:778-83 pubmed..In this study, we report IGF1 transcription and Akt phosphorylation are enhanced in XBP-1S stably overexpressed clone of zebrafish embryonic cell ..
- Nobrega R, Greebe C, van de Kant H, Bogerd J, de França L, Schulz R. Spermatogonial stem cell niche and spermatogonial stem cell transplantation in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2010;5: pubmed publisher..This might be attributed to the testicular microenvironment created after busulfan depletion in the recipients, which may have caused an imbalance between factors regulating self-renewal or differentiation of the transplanted SSCs. ..
- Filby A, Paull G, Bartlett E, Van Look K, Tyler C. Physiological and health consequences of social status in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Physiol Behav. 2010;101:576-87 pubmed publisher..The wide-ranging physiological differences seen between dominant and subordinate zebrafish as a consequence of their social status suggest negative health impacts for subordinates after prolonged durations in those hierarchies. ..
- Peng X, Shang G, Wang W, Chen X, Lou Q, Zhai G, et al. Fatty Acid Oxidation in Zebrafish Adipose Tissue Is Promoted by 1Î±,25(OH)2D3. Cell Rep. 2017;19:1444-1455 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that regulation of 1Î±,25(OH)2D3 during lipid metabolism occurs through the regulation of Pgc1a for mitochondrial biogenesis and oxidative metabolism within zebrafish VAT. ..
- Studzinski A, Almeida D, Lanes C, Figueiredo M, Marins L. SOCS1 and SOCS3 are the main negative modulators of the somatotrophic axis in liver of homozygous GH-transgenic zebrafish (Danio rerio). Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2009;161:67-72 pubmed publisher..5 times (p<0.01) and 4.3 times (p<0.05), respectively, in relation to non-transgenics. The results of the present work demonstrate that, in homozygotes, GH signaling is reduced by the action of the SOCS1 and SOCS3 proteins. ..
- Hu X, Zhu M, Zhang Z, Hou R, Shen F, Li F, et al. Cloning, characterization and tissue specific expression of Amur tiger (Panthera tigris altaica) IGF-I. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2006;70:1846-54 pubmed..The results indicate that IGF-I might play an important role in the reproductive system and in cub development in the Amur tiger. ..
- Song F, Wang L, Zhu W, Fu J, Dong J, Dong Z. A Novel igf3 Gene in Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio): Evidence for Its Role in Regulating Gonadal Development. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0168874 pubmed publisher..17?-Ethinylestradiol treatment increased both ovary and testis igf3 mRNA expression. These findings suggest that Igf3 may play an important role in C. carpio gonadal development. ..
- De Felice B, Copia L, Guida M. Gene expression profiling in zebrafish embryos exposed to diclofenac, an environmental toxicant. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39:2119-28 pubmed publisher..Our results, for the first time, provide an insight into some of the varied and novel molecular networks following zebrafish exposure to diclofenac polluted waters. ..
- Cui Y, Lv S, Liu J, Nie S, Chen J, Dong Q, et al. Chronic perfluorooctanesulfonic acid exposure disrupts lipid metabolism in zebrafish. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2017;36:207-217 pubmed publisher..These findings provided evidence that PFOS chronic exposure adversely impacts lipid metabolism in both F0 and F1 and demonstrated the validity of using zebrafish as an alternative model for PFOS chronic toxicity screening. ..
- Zhang C, Forlano P, Cone R. AgRP and POMC neurons are hypophysiotropic and coordinately regulate multiple endocrine axes in a larval teleost. Cell Metab. 2012;15:256-64 pubmed publisher..This identifies the mechanism by which the central melanocortin system coordinately regulates growth and reproduction in teleosts and suggests it is an important anatomical substrate for evolutionary adaptation. ..
- van den Bos R, Zethof J, Flik G, Gorissen M. Light regimes differentially affect baseline transcript abundance of stress-axis and (neuro)development-related genes in zebrafish (Danio rerio, Hamilton 1822) AB and TL larvae. Biol Open. 2017;6:1692-1697 pubmed publisher..The latter finding adds to the growing database of phenotypical differences between zebrafish of the AB and TL strain...
- Yao K, Lau S, Ge W. Differential regulation of Kit ligand A expression in the ovary by IGF-I via different pathways. Mol Endocrinol. 2014;28:138-50 pubmed publisher..This study provides evidence for a controlling mechanism underlying the regulation of KITL expression in the ovary. ..
- Brown A, Bickley L, Le Page G, Hosken D, Paull G, Hamilton P, et al. Are toxicological responses in laboratory (inbred) zebrafish representative of those in outbred (wild) populations? - A case study with an endocrine disrupting chemical. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:4166-72 pubmed publisher..rather than down-regulation occurring in inbreds) of gonadal aromatase (cyp19a1a) and insulin-like growth factor (igf1)...
- Xie L, Tang Q, Yang L, Chen L. Insulin-like growth factor I promotes oocyte maturation through increasing the expression and phosphorylation of epidermal growth factor receptor in the zebrafish ovary. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016;419:198-207 pubmed publisher..This study sheds light on the cross-talk between two important growth factors in the zebrafish ovary and the mechanism underlying the IGF-I induction on oocyte maturation. ..
- Nornberg B, Figueiredo M, Marins L. Expression profile of IGF paralog genes in liver and muscle of a GH-transgenic zebrafish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2016;226:36-41 pubmed publisher..Our results showed an increase in expression of igf1a, igf2a, and igf2b genes in the liver...
- Huang S, Zhao H, Wang L, Sun M, Zhu Y, Wu Y, et al. Intradiencephalon injection of histamine inhibited the recovery of locomotor function of spinal cord injured zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;489:275-280 pubmed publisher..Hence, our data suggested that exogenous intradiencephalon HA retarded locomotor recovery in spinal cord injured zebrafish via modulating the repair microenvironment. ..
- de Azevedo Figueiredo M, Lanes C, Almeida D, Proietti M, Marins L. The effect of GH overexpression on GHR and IGF-I gene regulation in different genotypes of GH-transgenic zebrafish. Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics. 2007;2:228-33 pubmed publisher..Together, our results demonstrated that homozygous GH-transgenic fish showed similar characteristics to the starvation-induced fish and could be an interesting model for studying the regulation of the GH/GHR/IGF-I axis in fish. ..
- Mu X, Chai T, Wang K, Zhu L, Huang Y, Shen G, et al. The developmental effect of difenoconazole on zebrafish embryos: A mechanism research. Environ Pollut. 2016;212:18-26 pubmed publisher..Genes related to hatching, retinoic acid metabolism and lipid homeostasis were up-regulated by difenoconazole. ..
- Safari R, Hoseinifar S, Van Doan H, Dadar M. The effects of dietary Myrtle (Myrtus communis) on skin mucus immune parameters and mRNA levels of growth, antioxidant and immune related genes in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;66:264-269 pubmed publisher..Also, evaluation of growth (gh and igf1) related genes revealed remarkable upregulation in 20 g kg-1 myrtle treatment compared other myrtle ..
- Jiao S, Dai W, Lu L, Liu Y, Zhou J, Li Y, et al. The conserved clusterin gene is expressed in the developing choroid plexus under the regulation of notch but not IGF signaling in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2011;152:1860-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that clusterin is a marker of choroid plexus in zebrafish, and its expression in the developing choroid plexus is under the regulation of Notch but not IGF signaling. ..
- Migliarini B, Carnevali O. Anandamide modulates growth and lipid metabolism in the zebrafish Danio rerio. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2008;286:S12-6 pubmed publisher..The results here obtained represent the first evidence in fish of the endocannabinoid system involvement in lipid metabolism and growth. ..
- Ahmed A, Xiong F, Pang S, He M, Waters M, Zhu Z, et al. Activation of GH signaling and GH-independent stimulation of growth in zebrafish by introduction of a constitutively activated GHR construct. Transgenic Res. 2011;20:557-67 pubmed publisher..By analyzing the transcription of c-fos and igf1, and the promoter activity of spi2...
- Avella M, PLACE A, Du S, Williams E, Silvi S, Zohar Y, et al. Lactobacillus rhamnosus accelerates zebrafish backbone calcification and gonadal differentiation through effects on the GnRH and IGF systems. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45572 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a significant role of the microbiota composition on the host organism development profile and open new perspectives in the study of probiotics usage and application. ..
- Lo K, Hui M, Yu R, Wu R, Cheng S. Hypoxia impairs primordial germ cell migration in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24540 pubmed publisher..IGF signaling is shown to be one of the possible mechanisms for the causal link between hypoxia and PGC migration. We propose that hypoxia causes PGC migration defect by inhibiting IGF signaling through the induction of IGFBP-1. ..
- Hou J, Su Y, Lin W, Guo H, Xie P, Chen J, et al. Microcystin-LR retards gonadal maturation through disrupting the growth hormone/insulin-like growth factors system in zebrafish. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;139:27-35 pubmed publisher..decreases in the transcriptional levels of brain gh (males only), hepatic igf2a and igf2b as well as gonadal igf1 (males only), igf3 and igf2r...
- van der Meulen T, Schipper H, Van Leeuwen J, Kranenbarg S. Effects of decreased muscle activity on developing axial musculature in nicb107 mutant zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Exp Biol. 2005;208:3675-87 pubmed..In addition, skin stiffness is affected. In conclusion, the lack of muscle fibre activity did not prevent the basal muscle components developing but influenced further organisation and differentiation of these components. ..
- Nelson S, Van der Kraak G. Characterization and regulation of the insulin-like growth factor (IGF) system in the zebrafish (Danio rerio) ovary. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2010;168:111-20 pubmed publisher..Though it was examined, igf1 expression was not detected in the zebrafish ovary...
- Berman J, Skariah G, Maro G, Mignot E, Mourrain P. Characterization of two melanin-concentrating hormone genes in zebrafish reveals evolutionary and physiological links with the mammalian MCH system. J Comp Neurol. 2009;517:695-710 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that zebrafish MCH2 is the putative structural and functional ortholog of mammalian MCH and help elucidate the nature of MCH evolution among vertebrates. ..
- Sukardi H, Zhang X, Lui E, Ung C, Mathavan S, Gong Z, et al. Liver X receptor agonist T0901317 induced liver perturbation in zebrafish: histological, gene set enrichment and expression analyses. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1820:33-43 pubmed publisher..Our study underscores the potential of using zebrafish model coupled with transcriptomic analysis to capture pharmacological and toxicological or pathological events induced by LXR modulators. ..
- Nesan D, Kamkar M, Burrows J, Scott I, Marsden M, Vijayan M. Glucocorticoid receptor signaling is essential for mesoderm formation and muscle development in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2012;153:1288-300 pubmed publisher..Our results for the first time indicate that GR signaling is essential for zebrafish muscle development, and we hypothesize a role for BMP morphogens in this process. ..
- Li J, Wu P, Liu Y, Wang D, Cheng C. Temporal and spatial expression of the four Igf ligands and two Igf type 1 receptors in zebrafish during early embryonic development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2014;15:104-11 pubmed publisher..Unlike mammals, four distinct Igf ligands (Igf1, Igf2a, Igf2b and Igf3) and two Igf type 1 receptors (Igf1ra and Igf1rb) are present in zebrafish...
- Teng M, Qi S, Zhu W, Wang Y, Wang D, Yang Y, et al. Sex-specific effects of difenoconazole on the growth hormone endocrine axis in adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;144:402-408 pubmed publisher..the growth of the liver and ovary were inhibited, which may be due to the decreased transcription of the key genes igf1a, igf2a, and igf2b in both organs...
- Opazo R, Fuenzalida K, Plaza Parrochia F, Romero J. Performance of Debaryomyces hansenii as a Diet for Rotifers for Feeding Zebrafish Larvae. Zebrafish. 2017;14:187-194 pubmed publisher..The gene responses observed in this work open up the opportunity to study the effect of omega-3 supply on growth regulation in zebrafish. ..
- Biga P, Meyer J. Growth hormone differentially regulates growth and growth-related gene expression in closely related fish species. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2009;154:465-73 pubmed publisher..These results further support the role that the zebrafish and giant danio can play important model organisms for determinate and indeterminate growth. ..
- Randazzo B, Chemello G, Tortarolo I, Chiarello G, Zalas M, Santini A, et al. A Novel Photocatalytic Purification System for Fish Culture. Zebrafish. 2017;14:411-421 pubmed publisher..No significant biological alterations were detectable on the cultured fish. ..
- Ulloa P, Peña A, Lizama C, Araneda C, Iturra P, Neira R, et al. Growth response and expression of muscle growth-related candidate genes in adult zebrafish fed plant and fishmeal protein-based diets. Zebrafish. 2013;10:99-109 pubmed publisher..At 98?dpf, growth-related genes Igf1a, Igf2a, mTOR, Pld1a, Mrf4, Myod, Myogenin, and Myostatin1b were evaluated...
- Palstra A, Tudorache C, Rovira M, Brittijn S, Burgerhout E, van den Thillart G, et al. Establishing zebrafish as a novel exercise model: swimming economy, swimming-enhanced growth and muscle growth marker gene expression. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14483 pubmed publisher..From the results of our study we can conclude that zebrafish can be used as an exercise model for enhanced growth, with implications in basic, biomedical and applied sciences, such as aquaculture. ..
- van den Bos R, Mes W, Galligani P, Heil A, Zethof J, Flik G, et al. Further characterisation of differences between TL and AB zebrafish (Danio rerio): Gene expression, physiology and behaviour at day 5 of the larval stage. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175420 pubmed publisher..These results emphasise that differences between strains need to be taken into account to enhance reproducibility both within, and between, laboratories. ..
- Yu L, Jia Y, Su G, Sun Y, Letcher R, Giesy J, et al. Parental transfer of tris(1,3-dichloro-2-propyl) phosphate and transgenerational inhibition of growth of zebrafish exposed to environmentally relevant concentrations. Environ Pollut. 2017;220:196-203 pubmed publisher..Down-regulation of genes in the GH/IGF axis (e.g., gh, igf1) might be responsible for transgenerational toxicity...
- Jeffries M, Stultz A, Smith A, Stephens D, Rawlings J, Belanger S, et al. The fish embryo toxicity test as a replacement for the larval growth and survival test: A comparison of test sensitivity and identification of alternative endpoints in zebrafish and fathead minnows. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2015;34:1369-81 pubmed publisher..The results not only show the utility of the fathead minnow FET test as a replacement for the LGS test but also provide evidence that inclusion of additional endpoints could improve the predictive power of the FET test. ..
- Wilson K, Baily J, Tucker C, Matrone G, Vass S, Moran C, et al. Early-life perturbations in glucocorticoid activity impacts on the structure, function and molecular composition of the adult zebrafish (Danio rerio) heart. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015;414:120-31 pubmed publisher..07Â Î¼g/mg vs controls 0.63Â Â±Â 0.06Â Î¼g/mg, pÂ =Â 0.0007), had increased vmhc and gr mRNA levels. Perturbations in GR activity during embryonic development results in short and long-term alterations in the heart. ..
- Yuan X, Jiang X, Pu J, Li Z, Zou S. Functional conservation and divergence of duplicated insulin-like growth factor 2 genes in grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus). Gene. 2011;470:46-52 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that duplicated igf2 genes have evolved divergent yet played an overlapping biological role in regulating grass carp growth and development. ..
- Avanesov A, Dahm R, Sewell W, Malicki J. Mutations that affect the survival of selected amacrine cell subpopulations define a new class of genetic defects in the vertebrate retina. Dev Biol. 2005;285:138-55 pubmed..These results indicate that environmental factors, possibly interactions among different subpopulations of amacrine neurons, are involved in the development of the amacrine cell class. ..
- Wong R, McLeod M, Godwin J. Limited sex-biased neural gene expression patterns across strains in Zebrafish (Danio rerio). BMC Genomics. 2014;15:905 pubmed publisher..A possible mechanism is through regulating specific brain gene networks. ..
- Figueiredo M, Mareco E, Silva M, Marins L. Muscle-specific growth hormone receptor (GHR) overexpression induces hyperplasia but not hypertrophy in transgenic zebrafish. Transgenic Res. 2012;21:457-69 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it seems that hypertrophy and hyperplasia follow two different routes for entire muscle growth, both of them triggered by GHR activation, but regulated by different mechanisms. ..
- Li J, Chu L, Sun X, Liu Y, Cheng C. IGFs mediate the action of LH on oocyte maturation in zebrafish. Mol Endocrinol. 2015;29:373-83 pubmed publisher..Our results show that all igfs, including igf1, igf2a, igf2b, and igf3, are dynamically expressed during folliculogenesis, with the expression of igf3 reaching ..
- Das D, Pal S, Maitra S. Releasing prophase arrest in zebrafish oocyte: synergism between maturational steroid and Igf1. Reproduction. 2016;151:59-72 pubmed publisher..Here using zebrafish (Danio rerio) defolliculated oocytes, we examined the effect of DHP and Igf1, either alone or in combination, in presence or absence of E2, on OM in vitro...
- Studzinski A, Barros D, Marins L. Growth hormone (GH) increases cognition and expression of ionotropic glutamate receptors (AMPA and NMDA) in transgenic zebrafish (Danio rerio). Behav Brain Res. 2015;294:36-42 pubmed publisher..The transgenic strain F0104 was shown to be an interesting model for elucidating the intricate mechanisms related to the effect of the somatotropic axis on learning and memory in vertebrates. ..
- Schall K, Holoyda K, Grant C, Levin D, Torres E, Maxwell A, et al. Adult zebrafish intestine resection: a novel model of short bowel syndrome, adaptation, and intestinal stem cell regeneration. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2015;309:G135-45 pubmed publisher..We describe a technically feasible model of human SBS in the zebrafish, a faster and less expensive tool to investigate intestinal stem cell plasticity as well as the mechanisms that drive intestinal adaptation. ..