Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hsd3b2
Description: hydroxy-delta-5-steroid dehydrogenase, 3 beta- and steroid delta-isomerase 2
Alias: cb723, hsd3b1, zgc:122972, 3 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 1, 3 beta hsd, hydroxy-delta-5-steroid dehydrogenase, 3 beta-and steroid delta-isomerase 1
- Shi J, Jiao Z, Zheng S, Li M, Zhang J, Feng Y, et al. Long-term effects of bisphenol AF (BPAF) on hormonal balance and genes of hypothalamus-pituitary-gonad axis and liver of zebrafish (Danio rerio), and the impact on offspring. Chemosphere. 2015;128:252-7 pubmed publisher..A potential consequence of adverse effects in the offspring by BPAF deserves further investigation. ..
- Lin J, Hu S, Ho P, Hsu H, Postlethwait J, Chung B. Two Zebrafish hsd3b Genes Are Distinct in Function, Expression, and Evolution. Endocrinology. 2015;156:2854-62 pubmed publisher..Our phylogenetic and conserved synteny analyses showed that the tandemly duplicated human HSD3B1 and HSD3B2 genes are coorthologs of zebrafish hsd3b1 on chromosome 9 (Dre9), whereas the gene called hsd3b2 ..
- Diotel N, Do Rego J, Anglade I, Vaillant C, Pellegrini E, Gueguen M, et al. Activity and expression of steroidogenic enzymes in the brain of adult zebrafish. Eur J Neurosci. 2011;34:45-56 pubmed publisher..Given that radial glial cells are brain stem cells during the entire lifespan of fish, it is suggested that at least some of these neurosteroids are implicated in the persisting neurogenic process. ..
- Sohn J, Kim S, Koschorreck J, Kho Y, Choi K. Alteration of sex hormone levels and steroidogenic pathway by several low molecular weight phthalates and their metabolites in male zebrafish (Danio rerio) and/or human adrenal cell (H295R) line. J Hazard Mater. 2016;320:45-54 pubmed publisher..Our results show that not only DEP, BBzP, and DiBP, but also their hydrolytic metabolites disrupt sex hormone balances through modulating key steroidogenic genes in the human adrenal cells and in zebrafish. ..
- Qi X, Salem M, Zhou W, Sato Shimizu M, Ye G, Smitz J, et al. Neurokinin B Exerts Direct Effects on the Ovary to Stimulate Estradiol Production. Endocrinology. 2016;157:3355-65 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings establish a direct action of NKB to induce ovarian estrogen production and raise the possibility that defective signaling of this pathway may contribute to the development of PCOS. ..
- Cao F, Zhu L, Li H, Yu S, Wang C, Qiu L. Reproductive toxicity of azoxystrobin to adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut. 2016;219:1109-1121 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicate that azoxystrobin led to reproductive toxicity in zebrafish and male zebrafish were more sensitive to azoxystrobin than female zebrafish. ..
- Shang E, Yu R, Wu R. Hypoxia affects sex differentiation and development, leading to a male-dominated population in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Sci Technol. 2006;40:3118-22 pubmed..The male-dominated populations caused by hypoxia will have reduced reproductive success, thereby threatening the sustainability of natural fish populations. ..
- Yang Q, Yang X, Liu J, Ren W, Chen Y, Shen S. Effects of BPF on steroid hormone homeostasis and gene expression in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis of zebrafish. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:21311-21322 pubmed publisher..These alterations suggest that BPF leads to adverse effects on the endocrine system of teleost fish, and that these effects were more prominent in males than in females. ..
- Dang Y, Wang J, Giesy J, Liu C. Responses of the zebrafish hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal-liver axis PCR array to prochloraz are dependent on timing of sampling. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:154-9 pubmed publisher..Correlations among parameters in samples collected at the two times indicated the effects might be due to different concentrations of E2 in plasma due to exposure to PCZ. ..
- GentÃ¨s S, Maury Brachet R, Feng C, Pedrero Z, Tessier E, Legeay A, et al. Specific Effects of Dietary Methylmercury and Inorganic Mercury in Zebrafish (Danio rerio) Determined by Genetic, Histological, and Metallothionein Responses. Environ Sci Technol. 2015;49:14560-9 pubmed publisher..In brain, high MeHg and iHg concentrations induced metallothionein production. Finally, the importance of the fish origin in ecotoxicological studies, here the seventh descent of a zebrafish line, is discussed. ..
- Pradhan A, Asnake S, Kharlyngdoh J, Modig C, Olsson P. In silico and biological analysis of anti-androgen activity of the brominated flame retardants ATE, BATE and DPTE in zebrafish. Chem Biol Interact. 2015;233:35-45 pubmed publisher..Genes involved in steroidogenesis were also down-regulated by these BFRs. In view of this, the impact of these BFRs on humans and wildlife needs further analysis. ..
- Hsu H, Liang M, Chen C, Chung B. Pregnenolone stabilizes microtubules and promotes zebrafish embryonic cell movement. Nature. 2006;439:480-3 pubmed..Our results indicate that pregnenolone preserves microtubule abundance and promotes cell movement during epiboly. ..
- Jo A, Ji K, Choi K. Endocrine disruption effects of long-term exposure to perfluorodecanoic acid (PFDA) and perfluorotridecanoic acid (PFTrDA) in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and related mechanisms. Chemosphere. 2014;108:360-6 pubmed publisher..Consequences of endocrine disruptions in reproduction performances of the fish warrant further investigation. ..
- Martinovic D, Villeneuve D, Kahl M, Blake L, Brodin J, Ankley G. Hypoxia alters gene expression in the gonads of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2009;95:258-72 pubmed publisher..g., hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase alterations, downregulation of contractile elements, etc.). ..
- Han X, Lei E, Lam M, Wu R. A whole life cycle assessment on effects of waterborne PBDEs on gene expression profile along the brain-pituitary-gonad axis and in the liver of zebrafish. Mar Pollut Bull. 2011;63:160-5 pubmed publisher..The observed disruption of GnRH and GtHs can be further related to the subsequent disruption in both levels and balance sex steroid hormones. ..
- Blüthgen N, Zucchi S, Fent K. Effects of the UV filter benzophenone-3 (oxybenzone) at low concentrations in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2012;263:184-94 pubmed publisher..Forthcoming studies should show whether this translates to additional physiological effects. ..
- Baudiffier D, Hinfray N, Ravaud C, Creusot N, Chadili E, Porcher J, et al. Effect of in vivo chronic exposure to clotrimazole on zebrafish testis function. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2013;20:2747-60 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrated that clotrimazole is able to affect testicular physiology and raised further concern about the impact of clotrimazole on reproduction. ..
- Ings J, van der Kraak G. Characterization of the mRNA expression of StAR and steroidogenic enzymes in zebrafish ovarian follicles. Mol Reprod Dev. 2006;73:943-54 pubmed..These experiments aid in the characterization of the roles and regulation of steroids throughout ovarian development, and suggest that gonadotropins play a key role in the regulation of StAR, 17beta-HSD3, and P450aromA in zebrafish. ..
- Yu R, Chu D, Tan T, Li V, Chan A, Giesy J, et al. Leptin-mediated modulation of steroidogenic gene expression in hypoxic zebrafish embryos: implications for the disruption of sex steroids. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:9112-9 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study indicates that hypoxia, possibly via HIF-1-induced leptin expression, modulates sex steroid synthesis by acting directly on steroidogenic gene expression. ..
- Collard H, Ji K, Lee S, Liu X, Kang S, Kho Y, et al. Toxicity and endocrine disruption in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and two freshwater invertebrates (Daphnia magna and Moina macrocopa) after chronic exposure to mefenamic acid. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2013;94:80-6 pubmed publisher..However, the effective concentrations are orders of magnitude greater than those occurring in the ambient aquatic environment. ..
- Zucchi S, Blüthgen N, Ieronimo A, Fent K. The UV-absorber benzophenone-4 alters transcripts of genes involved in hormonal pathways in zebrafish (Danio rerio) eleuthero-embryos and adult males. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011;250:137-46 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that BP-4 interferes with the sex hormone system of fish, which is important for the risk assessment of this UV-absorber. ..
- Tan T, Yu R, Wu R, Kong R. Overexpression and Knockdown of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1 Disrupt the Expression of Steroidogenic Enzyme Genes and Early Embryonic Development in Zebrafish. Gene Regul Syst Bio. 2017;11:1177625017713193 pubmed publisher..Overall, the findings from this study indicate that HIF-1-mediated mechanisms are likely involved in the regulation of specific steroidogenic genes. ..
- Richter C, Garcia Reyero N, Martyniuk C, Knoebl I, Pope M, Wright Osment M, et al. Gene expression changes in female zebrafish (Danio rerio) brain in response to acute exposure to methylmercury. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2011;30:301-8 pubmed publisher..Future studies will compare the gene expression profile induced in response to MeHg with that induced by other toxicants and will investigate responsive genes as potential biomarkers of MeHg exposure. ..
- Deng J, Liu C, Yu L, Zhou B. Chronic exposure to environmental levels of tribromophenol impairs zebrafish reproduction. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2010;243:87-95 pubmed publisher..The F(1)-generation larvae exhibited increased malformation, reduced survival, and retarded growth, suggesting that TBP in the aquatic environment has significant adverse effects on fish population. ..
- Lai W, Hsiao P, Guiguen Y, Chung B. Cloning of zebrafish cDNA for 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and P450scc. Endocr Res. 1998;24:927-31 pubmed..The cloning and the characterization of zebrafish P450scc and 3beta-HSD should facilitate study of steroidogenesis and human disease associated with steroid imbalance. ..
- Li X, Guo J, Li X, Zhou H, Zhang S, Liu X, et al. Behavioural effect of low-dose BPA on male zebrafish: Tuning of male mating competition and female mating preference during courtship process. Chemosphere. 2017;169:40-52 pubmed publisher..In sum, our results shed light on the potential behavioural and physiological effect of low-dose BPA exposure on courtship behaviours of zebrafish, which could exert profound consequences on natural zebrafish populations. ..
- Arukwe A, Nordtug T, Kortner T, Mortensen A, Brakstad O. Modulation of steroidogenesis and xenobiotic biotransformation responses in zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to water-soluble fraction of crude oil. Environ Res. 2008;107:362-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, these responses might represent sensitive diagnostic tools for short-term and acute exposure of fish or other aquatic organisms to WSF. ..
- Sun D, Chen Q, He N, Diao P, Jia L, Duan S. Effect of environmentally-relevant concentrations of nonylphenol on sexual differentiation in zebrafish: a multi-generational study. Sci Rep. 2017;7:42907 pubmed publisher..Overall, NP could affect sexual differentiation and gene transcriptional expression in the F1 generation. The tolerance of contaminant in the offsprings was improved at low concentration. ..
- Lin Q, Mei J, Li Z, Zhang X, Zhou L, Gui J. Distinct and Cooperative Roles of amh and dmrt1 in Self-Renewal and Differentiation of Male Germ Cells in Zebrafish. Genetics. 2017;207:1007-1022 pubmed publisher..Significantly, this study unravels novel functions of amh gene in fish. ..
- Zhang W, Sheng N, Wang M, Zhang H, Dai J. Zebrafish reproductive toxicity induced by chronic perfluorononanoate exposure. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:269-76 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that chronic exposure to PFNA can lead to dysfunction in the HPGL axis and sex hormone synthesis and cause adverse effects on fish reproduction. ..
- Chu L, Li J, Liu Y, Cheng C. Gonadotropin Signaling in Zebrafish Ovary and Testis Development: Insights From Gene Knockout Study. Mol Endocrinol. 2015;29:1743-58 pubmed publisher..In the absence of FSH, LH could play a compensatory role by cross-reacting with FSHR in both male and female. ..
- Ji K, Liu X, Lee S, Kang S, Kho Y, Giesy J, et al. Effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on hormones and genes of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis, and reproduction of zebrafish. J Hazard Mater. 2013;254-255:242-51 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that ibuprofen could modulate hormone production and related gene transcription of the HPG axis in a sex-dependent way, which could cause adverse effects on reproduction and the development of offspring. ..
- Ji K, Hong S, Kho Y, Choi K. Effects of bisphenol s exposure on endocrine functions and reproduction of zebrafish. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:8793-800 pubmed publisher..Our observations showed that exposure to low level BPS could affect the feedback regulatory circuits of HPG axis and impair the development of offspring. ..
- Blüthgen N, Sumpter J, Odermatt A, Fent K. Effects of low concentrations of the antiprogestin mifepristone (RU486) in adults and embryos of zebrafish (Danio rerio): 2. Gene expression analysis and in vitro activity. Aquat Toxicol. 2013;144-145:96-104 pubmed publisher..Additionally, effects on reproduction and gonad histology described in the associated report (Blüthgen et al., 2013a) can only partly be explained by gene expression data presented here. ..
- Uren Webster T, Laing L, Florance H, Santos E. Effects of glyphosate and its formulation, roundup, on reproduction in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Sci Technol. 2014;48:1271-9 pubmed publisher..revealed 10 mg/L Roundup and glyphosate induced changes in the expression of cyp19a1 and esr1 in the ovary and hsd3b2, cat, and sod1 in the testis...