Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hsd17b3
Description: hydroxysteroid (17-beta) dehydrogenase 3
Alias: zgc:64019, testosterone 17-beta-dehydrogenase 3
- Meier M, Tokarz J, Haller F, Mindnich R, Adamski J. Human and zebrafish hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase like 1 (HSDL1) proteins are inactive enzymes but conserved among species. Chem Biol Interact. 2009;178:197-205 pubmed publisher..Identification of protein interaction partners by yeast two-hybrid system suggests that despite the potential lack of enzymatic activity HSDL1 might retain regulatory functions in the cell. ..
- Tang H, Chen Y, Liu Y, Yin Y, Li G, Guo Y, et al. New Insights Into the Role of Estrogens in Male Fertility Based on Findings in Aromatase-Deficient Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3042-3054 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings indicate that estrogens are not needed to achieve and maintain normal fertility in male zebrafish. This finding challenges the traditional view that estrogens are indispensable for male fertility. ..
- Zucchi S, Oggier D, Fent K. Global gene expression profile induced by the UV-filter 2-ethyl-hexyl-4-trimethoxycinnamate (EHMC) in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut. 2011;159:3086-96 pubmed publisher..The analysis showed tissue-specific gene profiles and revealed that EHMC slightly affects the transcription of genes involved in hormonal pathways including vtg1, esr1, esr2b, ar, cyp19b and hsd17?3. ..
- Tokarz J, Mindnich R, Norton W, M ller G, Hrab de Angelis M, Adamski J. Discovery of a novel enzyme mediating glucocorticoid catabolism in fish: 20beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012;349:202-13 pubmed publisher..In contrast to other enzymes metabolizing C21-steroids and being mostly involved in reproduction we propose that novel type 2 20beta-HSDs in teleost fish are important enzymes in cortisol catabolism...
- Brown A, Bickley L, Le Page G, Hosken D, Paull G, Hamilton P, et al. Are toxicological responses in laboratory (inbred) zebrafish representative of those in outbred (wild) populations? - A case study with an endocrine disrupting chemical. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:4166-72 pubmed publisher..This highlights the need for reporting pedigree/genetic information and consistency in the responses of laboratory animals (e.g., by using model compounds as positive controls). ..
- Quintaneiro C, Patricio D, Novais S, Soares A, Monteiro M. Endocrine and physiological effects of linuron and S-metolachlor in zebrafish developing embryos. Sci Total Environ. 2017;586:390-400 pubmed publisher..These results contributed to elucidate modes of action of linuron and S-metolachlor in zebrafish embryo model. Furthermore, gene expression patterns obtained are indicative of endocrine disruption action of these herbicides. ..
- Blüthgen N, Sumpter J, Odermatt A, Fent K. Effects of low concentrations of the antiprogestin mifepristone (RU486) in adults and embryos of zebrafish (Danio rerio): 2. Gene expression analysis and in vitro activity. Aquat Toxicol. 2013;144-145:96-104 pubmed publisher..for transcripts of genes belonging to steroidogenic enzymes including 17?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 3 (hsd17b3), 3 ?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (hsd3b), P450 aromatase A (cyp19a) and 11?-hydroxylase (cyp11b)...
- Filby A, Paull G, Bartlett E, Van Look K, Tyler C. Physiological and health consequences of social status in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Physiol Behav. 2010;101:576-87 pubmed publisher..The wide-ranging physiological differences seen between dominant and subordinate zebrafish as a consequence of their social status suggest negative health impacts for subordinates after prolonged durations in those hierarchies. ..
- Fent K, Chew G, Li J, Gomez E. Benzotriazole UV-stabilizers and benzotriazole: Antiandrogenic activity in vitro and activation of aryl hydrocarbon receptor pathway in zebrafish eleuthero-embryos. Sci Total Environ. 2014;482-483:125-36 pubmed publisher..Forthcoming studies should show whether the observed antiandrogenic activities and transcriptional changes translate into physiological effects . ..
- Siegenthaler P, Zhao Y, Zhang K, Fent K. Reproductive and transcriptional effects of the antiandrogenic progestin chlormadinone acetate in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut. 2017;223:346-356 pubmed publisher..The observed effects were weaker than those of other very potent progestins, which is probably related to the lack of interaction of CMA with the zebrafish progesterone receptor. ..
- Siegenthaler P, Bain P, Riva F, Fent K. Effects of antiandrogenic progestins, chlormadinone and cyproterone acetate, and the estrogen 17?-ethinylestradiol (EE2), and their mixtures: Transactivation with human and rainbowfish hormone receptors and transcriptional effects in zebrafish (Danio. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;182:142-162 pubmed publisher..The lack of agonistic activities of both progestins to rainbowfish PGR and AR is the probable reason for the low activity found in zebrafish eleuthero-embryos. ..
- Blüthgen N, Meili N, Chew G, Odermatt A, Fent K. Accumulation and effects of the UV-filter octocrylene in adult and embryonic zebrafish (Danio rerio). Sci Total Environ. 2014;476-477:207-17 pubmed publisher..Blood levels of 11-ketotestosterone were not altered. The transcriptomics data suggest that OC mainly affects transcription of genes related to developmental processes in the brain and liver as well as metabolic processes in the liver. ..
- Rossier N, Chew G, Zhang K, Riva F, Fent K. Activity of binary mixtures of drospirenone with progesterone and 17Î±-ethinylestradiol in vitro and in vivo. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;174:109-22 pubmed publisher..alteration of genes, including those encoding hormone receptors (pgr, esr1), a steroidogenic enzyme (hsd17b3), and estrogenic markers (vtg1, cyp19b), in particular at 144 hpf...
- Yu M, Zhang X, Guo L, Tian H, Wang W, Ru S. Anti-estrogenic effect of semicarbazide in female zebrafish (Danio rerio) and its potential mechanisms. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;170:262-270 pubmed publisher..These effects were observed at environmentally relevant concentrations and highlight the importance of controlling SMC contamination. ..
- Chu L, Li J, Liu Y, Hu W, Cheng C. Targeted gene disruption in zebrafish reveals noncanonical functions of LH signaling in reproduction. Mol Endocrinol. 2014;28:1785-95 pubmed publisher..LH signaling is demonstrated to control oocyte maturation and ovulation in the ovary. ..
- Morthorst J, Lister A, Bjerregaard P, Van der Kraak G. Ibuprofen reduces zebrafish PGE(2) levels but steroid hormone levels and reproductive parameters are not affected. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;157:251-7 pubmed publisher..This study shows that ibuprofen reduces PGE(2) levels in male and female zebrafish but has no consistent effects on other investigated reproductive parameters. ..
- Zucchi S, Castiglioni S, Fent K. Progestins and antiprogestins affect gene expression in early development in zebrafish (Danio rerio) at environmental concentrations. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:5183-92 pubmed publisher..P4 and RU486 were the most potent steroids. Significant up to 4-fold induction of pgr, ar, mr, and hsd17b3 occurred at 2 ng/L P4 and higher, while RU484 inhibited pgr expression...
- Zucchi S, Blüthgen N, Ieronimo A, Fent K. The UV-absorber benzophenone-4 alters transcripts of genes involved in hormonal pathways in zebrafish (Danio rerio) eleuthero-embryos and adult males. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011;250:137-46 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that BP-4 interferes with the sex hormone system of fish, which is important for the risk assessment of this UV-absorber. ..
- Ings J, van der Kraak G. Characterization of the mRNA expression of StAR and steroidogenic enzymes in zebrafish ovarian follicles. Mol Reprod Dev. 2006;73:943-54 pubmed..These experiments aid in the characterization of the roles and regulation of steroids throughout ovarian development, and suggest that gonadotropins play a key role in the regulation of StAR, 17beta-HSD3, and P450aromA in zebrafish. ..