Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hsd17b1
Description: hydroxysteroid (17-beta) dehydrogenase 1
Alias: estradiol 17-beta-dehydrogenase 1, 17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, zf 1.2
- Hua J, Han J, Wang X, Guo Y, Zhou B. The binary mixtures of megestrol acetate and 17?-ethynylestradiol adversely affect zebrafish reproduction. Environ Pollut. 2016;213:776-784 pubmed publisher..This study has important implications for environmental risk assessment of synthetic hormones that are concurrently present in aquatic systems. ..
- Ings J, van der Kraak G. Characterization of the mRNA expression of StAR and steroidogenic enzymes in zebrafish ovarian follicles. Mol Reprod Dev. 2006;73:943-54 pubmed..These experiments aid in the characterization of the roles and regulation of steroids throughout ovarian development, and suggest that gonadotropins play a key role in the regulation of StAR, 17beta-HSD3, and P450aromA in zebrafish. ..
- Cao F, Zhu L, Li H, Yu S, Wang C, Qiu L. Reproductive toxicity of azoxystrobin to adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut. 2016;219:1109-1121 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicate that azoxystrobin led to reproductive toxicity in zebrafish and male zebrafish were more sensitive to azoxystrobin than female zebrafish. ..
- Ji K, Hong S, Kho Y, Choi K. Effects of bisphenol s exposure on endocrine functions and reproduction of zebrafish. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:8793-800 pubmed publisher..Our observations showed that exposure to low level BPS could affect the feedback regulatory circuits of HPG axis and impair the development of offspring. ..
- Collard H, Ji K, Lee S, Liu X, Kang S, Kho Y, et al. Toxicity and endocrine disruption in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and two freshwater invertebrates (Daphnia magna and Moina macrocopa) after chronic exposure to mefenamic acid. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2013;94:80-6 pubmed publisher..However, the effective concentrations are orders of magnitude greater than those occurring in the ambient aquatic environment. ..
- Jo A, Ji K, Choi K. Endocrine disruption effects of long-term exposure to perfluorodecanoic acid (PFDA) and perfluorotridecanoic acid (PFTrDA) in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and related mechanisms. Chemosphere. 2014;108:360-6 pubmed publisher..Consequences of endocrine disruptions in reproduction performances of the fish warrant further investigation. ..
- Liu W, Chen C, Chen L, Wang L, Li J, Chen Y, et al. Sex-dependent effects of microcystin-LR on hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis and gametogenesis of adult zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22819 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study first investigated the sex-dependent effects of microcystins on fish reproduction and revealed some important molecular biomarkers related to gametogenesis in zebrafish suffered from MC-LR. ..
- Zhang W, Sheng N, Wang M, Zhang H, Dai J. Zebrafish reproductive toxicity induced by chronic perfluorononanoate exposure. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:269-76 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that chronic exposure to PFNA can lead to dysfunction in the HPGL axis and sex hormone synthesis and cause adverse effects on fish reproduction. ..
- Urbatzka R, Rocha E, Reis B, Cruzeiro C, Monteiro R, Rocha M. Effects of ethinylestradiol and of an environmentally relevant mixture of xenoestrogens on steroidogenic gene expression and specific transcription factors in zebrafish. Environ Pollut. 2012;164:28-35 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that "non-classical effects" of estrogenic EDC in fish are mediated via transcription factors. ..
- Mindnich R, Adamski J. Functional aspects of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 1 determined by comparison to a closely related retinol dehydrogenase. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;104:334-9 pubmed..Activity measurements of modified proteins in transiently transfected intact HEK 293 cells hint at a putative role of these amino acids in discrimination between steroid and retinoid substrates. ..
- Han J, Wang Q, Wang X, Li Y, Wen S, Liu S, et al. The synthetic progestin megestrol acetate adversely affects zebrafish reproduction. Aquat Toxicol. 2014;150:66-72 pubmed publisher..The present study showed that MTA is a potent endocrine disruptor in fish, and short-term exposure to MTA could significantly affect reproduction in fish and negatively impact the fish population. ..
- Filby A, Paull G, Bartlett E, Van Look K, Tyler C. Physiological and health consequences of social status in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Physiol Behav. 2010;101:576-87 pubmed publisher..The wide-ranging physiological differences seen between dominant and subordinate zebrafish as a consequence of their social status suggest negative health impacts for subordinates after prolonged durations in those hierarchies. ..
- Mindnich R, Adamski J. Zebrafish 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases: an evolutionary perspective. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;301:20-6 pubmed publisher..These findings reflect on two aspects: (1) the evolutionary origin of steroid-specific enzymes and (2) a possible conservation of steroid hormone function in invertebrates through currently unknown mechanisms. ..
- Ge C, Lu W, Chen A. Quantitative proteomic reveals the dynamic of protein profile during final oocyte maturation in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:657-663 pubmed publisher..of the examined proteins, such as vitellogenin(Vtg3), protein S100(S100A10), 17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase(HSD17B1), pentaxin, zona pellucida (ZP3...
- Yang Q, Yang X, Liu J, Ren W, Chen Y, Shen S. Effects of BPF on steroid hormone homeostasis and gene expression in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis of zebrafish. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:21311-21322 pubmed publisher..These alterations suggest that BPF leads to adverse effects on the endocrine system of teleost fish, and that these effects were more prominent in males than in females. ..
- Ji K, Liu X, Lee S, Kang S, Kho Y, Giesy J, et al. Effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on hormones and genes of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis, and reproduction of zebrafish. J Hazard Mater. 2013;254-255:242-51 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that ibuprofen could modulate hormone production and related gene transcription of the HPG axis in a sex-dependent way, which could cause adverse effects on reproduction and the development of offspring. ..
- Filby A, Paull G, Searle F, Ortiz Zarragoitia M, Tyler C. Environmental estrogen-induced alterations of male aggression and dominance hierarchies in fish: a mechanistic analysis. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:3472-9 pubmed publisher..The extensive molecular, genetic, physiological, and behavioral toolbox now available for the zebrafish makes this species an attractive model for integrated analyses of chemical effects spanning behavior to molecular effect mechanisms. ..