Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hsd11b2
Description: hydroxysteroid (11-beta) dehydrogenase 2
Alias: wu:fi31d01, corticosteroid 11-beta-dehydrogenase isozyme 2
- Zhang X, Zhong Y, Tian H, Wang W, Ru S. Impairment of the cortisol stress response mediated by the hypothalamus-pituitary-interrenal (HPI) axis in zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to monocrotophos pesticide. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015;176-177:10-6 pubmed publisher..Considered together, the reduced ability to elevate cortisol levels in response to an acute stress may be an endocrine dysfunction occurring in zebrafish subchronically exposed to MCP pesticide. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S, et al. A time-course transcriptional kinetics of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes in zebrafish eleutheroembryos after exposure to norgestrel. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2015;34:112-9 pubmed publisher..could significantly induce expression of Cyp19a1a, Cyp11b, Gnrh2, Gnrh3, and Lhb mRNAs but inhibit transcripts of Hsd11b2 and Crh genes above 5â€‰ngâ€‰L(-1) at different time points...
- Filby A, Paull G, Bartlett E, Van Look K, Tyler C. Physiological and health consequences of social status in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Physiol Behav. 2010;101:576-87 pubmed publisher..The wide-ranging physiological differences seen between dominant and subordinate zebrafish as a consequence of their social status suggest negative health impacts for subordinates after prolonged durations in those hierarchies. ..
- Tsachaki M, Meyer A, Weger B, Kratschmar D, Tokarz J, Adamski J, et al. Absence of 11-keto reduction of cortisone and 11-ketotestosterone in the model organism zebrafish. J Endocrinol. 2017;232:323-335 pubmed publisher..These findings are of particular significance when using zebrafish as a model to study endocrine functions, stress responses and effects of pharmaceuticals. ..
- Guillot R, CortÃ©s R, Navarro S, Mischitelli M, GarcÃa Herranz V, SÃ¡nchez E, et al. Behind melanocortin antagonist overexpression in the zebrafish brain: A behavioral and transcriptomic approach. Horm Behav. 2016;82:87-100 pubmed publisher..The information provided herein will help to elucidate new central systems involved in control of obesity and should be of invaluable use for sustaining fish production systems. ..
- Fent K, Chew G, Li J, Gomez E. Benzotriazole UV-stabilizers and benzotriazole: Antiandrogenic activity in vitro and activation of aryl hydrocarbon receptor pathway in zebrafish eleuthero-embryos. Sci Total Environ. 2014;482-483:125-36 pubmed publisher..Forthcoming studies should show whether the observed antiandrogenic activities and transcriptional changes translate into physiological effects . ..
- Siegenthaler P, Bain P, Riva F, Fent K. Effects of antiandrogenic progestins, chlormadinone and cyproterone acetate, and the estrogen 17?-ethinylestradiol (EE2), and their mixtures: Transactivation with human and rainbowfish hormone receptors and transcriptional effects in zebrafish (Danio. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;182:142-162 pubmed publisher..The lack of agonistic activities of both progestins to rainbowfish PGR and AR is the probable reason for the low activity found in zebrafish eleuthero-embryos. ..
- Mindnich R, Hrabe de Angelis M, Adamski J. Functional genome analysis indicates loss of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 enzyme in the zebrafish. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;103:35-43 pubmed..The closely related 11beta-HSD 2 is unlikely to substitute for 17beta-HSD 2 since in our hands it did not catalyze the respective oxidation of testosterone or estradiol. ..
- Jeffrey J, Gilmour K. Programming of the hypothalamic-pituitary-interrenal axis by maternal social status in zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Exp Biol. 2016;219:1734-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest programming of stress axis function in zebrafish offspring by maternal social status, emphasizing the importance of maternal environment and experience on offspring stress axis activity...
- Morais R, Crespo D, Nóbrega R, Lemos M, van de Kant H, De Franca L, et al. Antagonistic regulation of spermatogonial differentiation in zebrafish (Danio rerio) by Igf3 and Amh. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2017;454:112-124 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that an important aspect of Fsh bioactivity in stimulating spermatogenesis is implemented by restricting the different inhibitory effects of Amh and by counterbalancing them with stimulatory signals, such as Igf3. ..
- Wilson K, Matrone G, Livingstone D, Al Dujaili E, Mullins J, Tucker C, et al. Physiological roles of glucocorticoids during early embryonic development of the zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Physiol. 2013;591:6209-20 pubmed publisher..by a significant and sustained increase in the expression of genes encoding cyp11b1 (GC biosynthesis), hsd11b2 (GC metabolism) and gr (GC receptor) from 48 to 120 hpf...
- Cruz S, Chao P, Hwang P. Cortisol promotes differentiation of epidermal ionocytes through Foxi3 transcription factors in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2013;164:249-57 pubmed publisher..We conclude that foxi3a/b transactivation by cortisol-GR favors differentiation of ionocyte progenitors, thereby facilitating proliferation of mature ionocytes. ..
- Alderman S, Vijayan M. 11?-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in zebrafish brain: a functional role in hypothalamus-pituitary-interrenal axis regulation. J Endocrinol. 2012;215:393-402 pubmed publisherThe type 2, 11?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (Hsd11b2) converts active glucocorticoids to their inactive derivatives (e.g. cortisol to cortisone)...
- Liang Y, Huang G, Lin Z, Li J, Yang J, Zhong L, et al. Reproductive effects of synthetic progestin norgestrel in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2018;190:17-24 pubmed publisher..up-regulation of hydroxysteroid 20-beta dehydrogenase (hsd20b) and hydroxysteroid 11-beta dehydrogenase 2 (hsd11b2) genes and down-regulation of 11-beta-hydroxylase (cyp11b) gene in the ovaries of females...
- Blüthgen N, Meili N, Chew G, Odermatt A, Fent K. Accumulation and effects of the UV-filter octocrylene in adult and embryonic zebrafish (Danio rerio). Sci Total Environ. 2014;476-477:207-17 pubmed publisher..Blood levels of 11-ketotestosterone were not altered. The transcriptomics data suggest that OC mainly affects transcription of genes related to developmental processes in the brain and liver as well as metabolic processes in the liver. ..
- Pradhan A, Asnake S, Kharlyngdoh J, Modig C, Olsson P. In silico and biological analysis of anti-androgen activity of the brominated flame retardants ATE, BATE and DPTE in zebrafish. Chem Biol Interact. 2015;233:35-45 pubmed publisher..Genes involved in steroidogenesis were also down-regulated by these BFRs. In view of this, the impact of these BFRs on humans and wildlife needs further analysis. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S, et al. The effects of progesterone on transcriptional expression profiles of genes associated with hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes during the early development of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2015;128:199-206 pubmed publisher..in a significant induction of Cyp19a1a and Cyp11b mRNA expression while it caused a significant inhibition of Hsd11b2 mRNA expression above 6 ng L(-1)...
- Morthorst J, Lister A, Bjerregaard P, Van der Kraak G. Ibuprofen reduces zebrafish PGE(2) levels but steroid hormone levels and reproductive parameters are not affected. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;157:251-7 pubmed publisher..This study shows that ibuprofen reduces PGE(2) levels in male and female zebrafish but has no consistent effects on other investigated reproductive parameters. ..
- Dhanasiri A, Fernandes J, Kiron V. Liver transcriptome changes in zebrafish during acclimation to transport-associated stress. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65028 pubmed publisher..Thus, this study has revealed the complex molecular adjustments that occur in zebrafish when they are transported...
- Wirbisky S, SepÃºlveda M, Weber G, Jannasch A, Horzmann K, Freeman J. Embryonic Atrazine Exposure Elicits Alterations in Genes Associated with Neuroendocrine Function in Adult Male Zebrafish. Toxicol Sci. 2016;153:149-64 pubmed publisher..Overall, this data indicate future studies should focus on additional neuroendocrine endpoints to determine potential functional impairments. ..
- Blüthgen N, Zucchi S, Fent K. Effects of the UV filter benzophenone-3 (oxybenzone) at low concentrations in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2012;263:184-94 pubmed publisher..An overall down-regulation of the hsd3b, hsd17b3, hsd11b2 and cyp11b2 transcripts is observed in the testes, suggesting an antiandrogenic activity...
- Filby A, Paull G, Searle F, Ortiz Zarragoitia M, Tyler C. Environmental estrogen-induced alterations of male aggression and dominance hierarchies in fish: a mechanistic analysis. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:3472-9 pubmed publisher..Plasma androgen and the expression of genes involved in sex steroid production/signaling (cyp19a1b, cyp17, hsd11b2, hsd17b3, ar) and aggression (avplrv1b, tph1b, htr1a, sst1, sstr1, th, slc6a3, ar) were higher in control ..
- Zhang K, Zhao Y, Fent K. Occurrence and Ecotoxicological Effects of Free, Conjugated, and Halogenated Steroids Including 17?-Hydroxypregnanolone and Pregnanediol in Swiss Wastewater and Surface Water. Environ Sci Technol. 2017;51:6498-6506 pubmed publisher..Although steroid concentrations are low in Swiss rivers, the possibility of additive effects may be of concern. ..
- Rasheeda M, Kagawa H, Kirubagaran R, Dutta Gupta A, Senthilkumaran B. Cloning, expression and enzyme activity analysis of testicular 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase during seasonal cycle and after hCG induction in air-breathing catfish Clarias gariepinus. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;120:1-10 pubmed publisher..Thus the spatio-temporal expression supported with putative dehydrogenase activity and circulating 11-KT levels clearly suggest a major role for 11beta-HSD2 during testicular differentiation and seasonal testicular cycle in catfish. ..
- Alsop D, Vijayan M. Development of the corticosteroid stress axis and receptor expression in zebrafish. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;294:R711-9 pubmed
- Faught E, Best C, Vijayan M. Maternal stress-associated cortisol stimulation may protect embryos from cortisol excess in zebrafish. R Soc Open Sci. 2016;3:160032 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that cortisol-induced upregulation of 11?HSD2 activity in the ovarian follicles is a mechanism restricting excess cortisol incorporation into the eggs during maternal stress. ..
- Lin C, Tsai I, Su C, Tseng D, Hwang P. Reverse effect of mammalian hypocalcemic cortisol in fish: cortisol stimulates Ca2+ uptake via glucocorticoid receptor-mediated vitamin D3 metabolism. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23689 pubmed publisher..cortisol increased Ca(2+) influx and the expressions of ecac and hydroxysteroid 11-beta dehydrogenase 2 (hsd11b2), but downregulated 11?-hydroxylase and the gr with no effects on other Ca(2+) transporters or the ..
- Tang H, Chen Y, Liu Y, Yin Y, Li G, Guo Y, et al. New Insights Into the Role of Estrogens in Male Fertility Based on Findings in Aromatase-Deficient Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3042-3054 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings indicate that estrogens are not needed to achieve and maintain normal fertility in male zebrafish. This finding challenges the traditional view that estrogens are indispensable for male fertility. ..