Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hoxb5a
Description: homeobox B5a
Alias: ZF-21, ZF21, hox-2.1, hox-B5, hoxb5, wu:fc38c09, z-18, homeobox protein Hox-B5a, homeo box B5a, homeobox gene B-5, homeobox protein Zf-21
- Snell E, Scemama J, Stellwag E. Genomic organization of the Hoxa4-Hoxa10 region from Morone saxatilis: implications for Hox gene evolution among vertebrates. J Exp Zool. 1999;285:41-9 pubmed..Comparative analysis of HoxA cluster organization among teleosts and mammals suggests that cluster length reduction and lineage-specific gene loss events are hallmarks of Hox cluster evolution. ..
- Wang Y, Qian L, Dong Y, Jiang Q, Gui Y, Zhong T, et al. Myocyte-specific enhancer factor 2A is essential for zebrafish posterior somite development. Mech Dev. 2006;123:783-91 pubmed..Microarray studies reveal a number of genes that are differentially expressed in the MEF2A morphants. Our studies suggest that MEF2A is essential for zebrafish posterior somite development. ..
- Oliveira E, Casado M, Raldua D, Soares A, Barata C, Pina B. Retinoic acid receptors' expression and function during zebrafish early development. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;138:143-51 pubmed publisher..changes did not affect the response to exogenous RA of the known RAR-responsive genes cyp26a1, dhrs3a, hoxb1b, hoxb5a, and hoxb5b...
- Bruce A, Oates A, Prince V, Ho R. Additional hox clusters in the zebrafish: divergent expression patterns belie equivalent activities of duplicate hoxB5 genes. Evol Dev. 2001;3:127-44 pubmed..To address the role of these additional zebrafish hox genes, we have examined the duplicate hoxB5 genes, hoxB5a, and hoxB5b...
- Zou S, Jiang X, He Z, Yuan J, Yuan X, Li S. Hox gene clusters in blunt snout bream, Megalobrama amblycephala and comparison with those of zebrafish, fugu and medaka genomes. Gene. 2007;400:60-70 pubmed..Additionally, the relationship between the decrease of GC level and the loss of conservation and function of one of the paralogous genes from twin clusters is discussed. ..
- Yang Q, Chen D, Xiong F, Chen D, Liu C, Liu Y, et al. A splicing mutation in VPS4B causes dentin dysplasia I. J Med Genet. 2016;53:624-33 pubmed publisher..This study identifies VPS4B as a disease-causing gene for DDI, which is one of the important contributors to tooth formation, through the Wnt/Î²-catenin signalling pathway. ..
- Amores A, Suzuki T, Yan Y, Pomeroy J, Singer A, Amemiya C, et al. Developmental roles of pufferfish Hox clusters and genome evolution in ray-fin fish. Genome Res. 2004;14:1-10 pubmed
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Hibi M. Cdx-Hox code controls competence for responding to Fgfs and retinoic acid in zebrafish neural tissue. Development. 2006;133:4709-19 pubmed..Our results indicate that the Cdx-Hox code modifies tissue competence to respond to Fgfs and RA in neural tissue. ..
- Chen J, Carney S, Peterson R, Heideman W. Comparative genomics identifies genes mediating cardiotoxicity in the embryonic zebrafish heart. Physiol Genomics. 2008;33:148-58 pubmed publisher..Among the genes rapidly induced by RA was Nr2F5, a member of the COUP-TF family of transcriptional repressors. We found that induction of Nr2F5 was both necessary and sufficient for the cardiotoxic response to RA. ..
- Patil J, Khoo H. Nuclear internalization of foreign DNA by zebrafish spermatozoa and its enhancement by electroporation. J Exp Zool. 1996;274:121-9 pubmed..The results provide direct evidence for nuclear internalization of foreign DNA by non-mammalian sperm as in mammalian sperm. ..
- D Aniello E, Rydeen A, Anderson J, Mandal A, Waxman J. Depletion of retinoic acid receptors initiates a novel positive feedback mechanism that promotes teratogenic increases in retinoic acid. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003689 pubmed publisher..Our results support an intriguing novel mechanism by which depletion of RARs elicits a previously unrecognized positive feedback loop that can result in developmental defects due to teratogenic increases in embryonic RA...
- Kawasaki T, Saito K, Sakai C, Shinya M, Sakai N. Production of zebrafish offspring from cultured spermatogonial stem cells. Genes Cells. 2012;17:316-25 pubmed publisher..This culture method will facilitate the identification of new factors for the maintenance of SSCs and enable the future enrichment of genetically modified SSCs that will produce offspring in zebrafish...
- Fritz A, Rozowski M, Walker C, Westerfield M. Identification of selected gamma-ray induced deficiencies in zebrafish using multiplex polymerase chain reaction. Genetics. 1996;144:1735-45 pubmed..These deficiencies provide a basis for analyzing the functions of cloned zebrafish genes using noncomplementation screens for point mutations induced by high-efficiency chemical mutagenesis. ..
- Wan X, Hu B, Liu J, Feng X, Xiao W. Zebrafish mll gene is essential for hematopoiesis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:33345-57 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings demonstrate that zebrafish mll plays essential roles in hematopoiesis and that gadd45?a may serve as a potential downstream target for mediating the function of mll in hematopoiesis. ..
- Wu S, Zhang H, Cairns B. Genes for embryo development are packaged in blocks of multivalent chromatin in zebrafish sperm. Genome Res. 2011;21:578-89 pubmed publisher..Taken together, gene sets with particular functions in the embryo are packaged by distinctive types of complex and often atypical chromatin in sperm. ..
- Davidson A, Ernst P, Wang Y, Dekens M, Kingsley P, Palis J, et al. cdx4 mutants fail to specify blood progenitors and can be rescued by multiple hox genes. Nature. 2003;425:300-6 pubmed..Taken together, these findings demonstrate that cdx4 regulates hox genes and is necessary for the specification of haematopoietic cell fate during vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- White R, Nie Q, Lander A, Schilling T. Complex regulation of cyp26a1 creates a robust retinoic acid gradient in the zebrafish embryo. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e304 pubmed..Such control also provides an explanation for the fact that loss of an endogenous RA gradient can be compensated for by RA that is provided in a spatially uniform manner. ..
- Davidson A, Zon L. The caudal-related homeobox genes cdx1a and cdx4 act redundantly to regulate hox gene expression and the formation of putative hematopoietic stem cells during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2006;292:506-18 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that the cdx-hox pathway plays an essential role in the formation of both embryonic erythroid cells and definitive HSCs during vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Grandel H, Brand M. Zebrafish limb development is triggered by a retinoic acid signal during gastrulation. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1116-26 pubmed publisher..We propose that limb precursor determination requires RA dependent specification of lateral plate territories during gastrulation. ..
- Raincrow J, Dewar K, Stocsits C, Prohaska S, Amemiya C, Stadler P, et al. Hox clusters of the bichir (Actinopterygii, Polypterus senegalus) highlight unique patterns of sequence evolution in gnathostome phylogeny. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2011;316:451-64 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that actinopterygian Hox gene clusters experienced a reduction in selective constraints that surprisingly predates the teleost-specific genome duplication. ..
- Crow K, Stadler P, Lynch V, Amemiya C, Wagner G. The "fish-specific" Hox cluster duplication is coincident with the origin of teleosts. Mol Biol Evol. 2006;23:121-36 pubmed..Taken together, these results support the notion that the duplicated Hox genes of teleosts were causally relevant to adaptive evolution during the initial teleost radiation. ..
- Rey S, Boltaña S, Vargas R, Roher N, MacKenzie S. Combining animal personalities with transcriptomics resolves individual variation within a wild-type zebrafish population and identifies underpinning molecular differences in brain function. Mol Ecol. 2013;22:6100-15 pubmed publisher..These differences can be mapped to distinct regions of the brain and provide a foundation towards understanding the coordination of underpinning adaptive molecular events within populations. ..
- Prince V, Price A, Ho R. Hox gene expression reveals regionalization along the anteroposterior axis of the zebrafish notochord. Dev Genes Evol. 1998;208:517-22 pubmed..Here we report that four zebrafish hox genes: hoxb1, hoxb5, hoxc6 and hoxc8 are regionally expressed along the anteroposterior extent of the developing notochord...