Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hmgcs1
Description: 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA synthase 1 (soluble)
Alias: zgc:56481, hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA synthase, cytoplasmic, 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-Coenzyme A synthase 1 (soluble)
- Choi J, Mouillesseaux K, Wang Z, Fiji H, Kinderman S, Otto G, et al. Aplexone targets the HMG-CoA reductase pathway and differentially regulates arteriovenous angiogenesis. Development. 2011;138:1173-81 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings indicate that angiogenesis is differentially regulated by the HMGCR pathway via an arteriovenous-dependent requirement for protein prenylation in zebrafish and human endothelial cells. ..
- Zhao Y, Qin W, Zhang J, Hu Z, Tong J, Ding C, et al. HCV IRES-mediated core expression in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56985 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate the feasibility of the zebrafish model for screening of anti-HCV drugs targeting to HCV-IRES. The zebrafish system provides a novel evidence of using zebrafish as a HCV model organism. ..
- Mathews E, Mawdsley D, Walker M, Hines J, Pozzoli M, Appel B. Mutation of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA synthase I reveals requirements for isoprenoid and cholesterol synthesis in oligodendrocyte migration arrest, axon wrapping, and myelin gene expression. J Neurosci. 2014;34:3402-12 pubmed publisher..Through a forward genetic screen in zebrafish we discovered that mutation of hmgcs1, which encodes an enzyme necessary for isoprenoid and cholesterol synthesis, causes oligodendrocyte progenitor ..
- Vacaru A, Di Narzo A, Howarth D, Tsedensodnom O, Imrie D, Cinaroglu A, et al. Molecularly defined unfolded protein response subclasses have distinct correlations with fatty liver disease in zebrafish. Dis Model Mech. 2014;7:823-35 pubmed publisher..We conclude that a stressed UPR causes steatosis and an adaptive UPR prevents it, demonstrating that this pathway plays dichotomous roles in fatty liver disease. ..
- Chen Z, Ballar P, Fu Y, Luo J, Du S, Fang S. The E3 ubiquitin ligase gp78 protects against ER stress in zebrafish liver. J Genet Genomics. 2014;41:357-68 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that gp78 plays a critical role in protecting against ER stress in liver...
- Dai W, Wang K, Zheng X, Chen X, Zhang W, Zhang Y, et al. High fat plus high cholesterol diet lead to hepatic steatosis in zebrafish larvae: a novel model for screening anti-hepatic steatosis drugs. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2015;12:42 pubmed publisher..HFC diets-fed larvae compared to the control, whereas the expression of lipogenic molecules (acaca, fasn, srebf2, hmgcs1 and hmgcra) were decreased in the liver of HF and HFC diets-fed larvae compared to the control...
- Quintana A, Hernandez J, Gonzalez C. Functional analysis of the zebrafish ortholog of HMGCS1 reveals independent functions for cholesterol and isoprenoids in craniofacial development. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180856 pubmed publisher..Our analysis confirmed that mutation of hmgcs1, which encodes the first enzyme in the cholesterol synthesis pathway, results in craniofacial abnormalities via ..