Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hhex
Description: hematopoietically expressed homeobox
Alias: hex, hematopoietically-expressed homeobox protein hhex, homeobox protein hex
- Differential requirement for ptf1a in endocrine and exocrine lineages of developing zebrafish pancreasJohn W Lin
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Dev Biol 270:474-86. 2004..Together, these findings suggest the presence of distinct ptf1a-dependent and ptf1a-independent precursor populations in developing zebrafish pancreas...
- Localized rbp4 expression in the yolk syncytial layer plays a role in yolk cell extension and early liver developmentZhen Li
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, Singapore
BMC Dev Biol 7:117. 2007....
- Mypt1-mediated spatial positioning of Bmp2-producing cells is essential for liver organogenesisHonghui Huang
Laboratory of Functional Genomics, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Proteos, Singapore
Development 135:3209-18. 2008....
- Intrinsic and extrinsic modifiers of the regulative capacity of the developing liverDonghun Shin
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Programs in Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, Genetics and Human Genetics, Institute for Regeneration Medicine, Diabetes Center and Liver Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Mech Dev 128:525-35. 2012..Altogether, these studies reveal that there is more than one way to form a liver, and provide molecular insights into the phenomenon of tissue plasticity...
- Restriction of hepatic competence by Fgf signalingDonghun Shin
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Liver Center, Institute for Regeneration Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Development 138:1339-48. 2011..These data provide in vivo evidence that endodermal cells outside the liver-forming region retain hepatic competence and show that an extrinsic signal, Fgf10a, negatively regulates hepatic competence...
- Interplay between Wnt2 and Wnt2bb controls multiple steps of early foregut-derived organ developmentMorgane Poulain
MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 138:3557-68. 2011..Thus, tightly regulated spatiotemporal expression of wnt2bb, wnt2 and fzd5 is central to coordinating early liver, pancreas and swim bladder development from a multipotent foregut endoderm...
- APC mutant zebrafish uncover a changing temporal requirement for wnt signaling in liver developmentWolfram Goessling
Stem Cell Program and Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, HHMI, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Biol 320:161-74. 2008..These studies reveal an important and time-dependent role for wnt signaling during liver development and regeneration...
- Bmp2 signaling regulates the hepatic versus pancreatic fate decisionWon Suk Chung
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Programs in Developmental Biology, Genetics and Human Genetics, University of California, San Francisco, 1550 4th Street, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Dev Cell 15:738-48. 2008..These data provide in vivo evidence for the existence of bipotential hepatopancreatic progenitors and indicate that their fate is regulated by the medio-lateral patterning of the endodermal sheet, a process controlled by Bmp2b...
- Mesodermal Wnt2b signalling positively regulates liver specificationElke A Ober
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Programs in Developmental Biology, Genetics and Human Genetics, and the Liver Center, University of California, San Francisco, 1550 Fourth Street, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Nature 442:688-91. 2006..In zebrafish, the onset of liver specification is marked by the localized endodermal expression of hhex and prox1 at 22 hours post fertilization...
- Histone deacetylase 3 (hdac3) is specifically required for liver development in zebrafishMuhammad Farooq
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, 117543, Singapore
Dev Biol 317:336-53. 2008..These results revealed a novel and specific role of hdac3 in liver development and the distinct functions between hdac1 and hdac3 in zebrafish embryonic development...
- Zebrafish hhex, nk2.1a, and pax2.1 regulate thyroid growth and differentiation downstream of Nodal-dependent transcription factorsOsama A Elsalini
Institute for Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Gyrhofstrasse 17, 50923 Koln, Germany
Dev Biol 263:67-80. 2003During zebrafish development, the thyroid primordium initiates expression of molecular markers such as hhex and nk2.1a in the endoderm prior to pharynx formation...
- Hhex and scl function in parallel to regulate early endothelial and blood differentiation in zebrafishW Liao
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Programs in Developmental Biology, Genetics and Human Genetics, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0448, USA
Development 127:4303-13. 2000..Here we report that in zebrafish the homeobox gene hhex (previously called hex) is also expressed in endothelial and blood lineages from an early stage...
- Cyp26 enzymes function in endoderm to regulate pancreatic field sizeMary D Kinkel
Department of Organismal Biology and Anatomy and Committee on Developmental Biology, University of Chicago, 1027 East 57th Street, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:7864-9. 2009..Such feedback can maintain consistent levels of RA signaling, despite environmental fluctuations in RA concentration, thus ensuring a consistent size and location of the pancreatic field...
- A role for the extraembryonic yolk syncytial layer in patterning the zebrafish embryo suggested by properties of the hex geneC Y Ho
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics University of California at San Francisco San Francisco, California, 94143 0448, USA
Curr Biol 9:1131-4. 1999..To analyze whether similar mechanisms operate in other vertebrates, we cloned the zebrafish homologue of Hex, a homeobox gene that is expressed asymmetrically in the mouse visceral endoderm ...
- Bmp and Fgf signaling are essential for liver specification in zebrafishDonghun Shin
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Programs in Developmental Biology, Genetics and Human Genetics, Liver Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Development 134:2041-50. 2007..We found that the expression of hhex and prox1, the earliest liver markers in zebrafish, was severely reduced in the liver region when Bmp or Fgf ..
- Zebrafish hhex regulates liver development and digestive organ chiralityK N Wallace
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Genesis 30:141-3. 2001
- Sec13 safeguards the integrity of the endoplasmic reticulum and organogenesis of the digestive system in zebrafishXuBo Niu
Key Laboratory for Molecular Animal Nutrition, Ministry of Education, College of Animal Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, PR China
Dev Biol 367:197-207. 2012..Our data provide the first direct genetic evidence that COPII function is essential for the organogenesis of the digestive system...
- Specification of hepatopancreas progenitors in zebrafish by hnf1ba and wnt2bbJoseph J Lancman
Sanford Children s Health Research Center, Programs in Genetic Disease, Development and Aging, and Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 140:2669-79. 2013..Collectively, our findings provide a new model for HNF1B function, yield insight into pancreas and β-cell development, and suggest a new mechanism for hepatopancreatic specification...
- Zebrafish bcl2l is a survival factor in thyroid developmentImmacolata Porreca
IRGS, BIOGEM, Via Camporeale, 83031 Ariano Irpino, Avellino, Italy
Dev Biol 366:142-52. 2012..1a and hhex. Also, the bcl2l gene appears to control a caspase-3-dependent apoptotic mechanism during thyroid development...
- Perfluorooctane sulfonic acid exposure increases cadmium toxicity in early life stage of zebrafish, Danio rerioSuyoung Kim
School of Public Health, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
Environ Toxicol Chem 30:870-7. 2011..hormone receptor-alpha [THRα], thyroid hormone receptor-beta [THRβ], hematopoietically expressed homeobox [hhex], and paired box gene 8 [pax8]) and decrease of throxine (T4) levels were observed in the PFOS preexposure group, ..
- Sfrp5 modulates both Wnt and BMP signaling and regulates gastrointestinal organogensis in the zebrafish, Danio rerioCarsten Stuckenholz
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e62470. 2013..We show that Sfrp5 inhibits both canonical and non-canonical Wnt signaling during embryonic and endodermal development, resulting in endodermal abnormalities...
- Parental transfer of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafishLiqin Yu
State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan 430072, China
Environ Sci Technol 45:10652-9. 2011..For the first time, we demonstrated that parental exposure to low concentrations of PBDEs could affect THs in the offspring and the transgenerational PBDE-induced toxicity in subsequent nonexposed generations...
- EpCAM is an endoderm-specific Wnt derepressor that licenses hepatic developmentHuiqiang Lu
Key Laboratory of Freshwater Fish Reproduction and Development, Ministry of Education, Laboratory of Molecular Developmental Biology, School of Life Sciences, Southwest University, Beibei, 400715 Chongqing, China
Dev Cell 24:543-53. 2013..Our results identify EpCAM as the key molecule and its functional mechanism to confer endodermal cells the competence to respond to the liver-inductive Wnt2bb signal...
- Essential roles of zebrafish bmp2a, fgf10, and fgf24 in the specification of the ventral pancreasFrançois Naye
Unit of Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering, GIGA Research, University of Liege, B 4000 Sart Tilman, Belgium, Germany
Mol Biol Cell 23:945-54. 2012..These mutants display ventral pancreas agenesis and ectopic masses of hepatocytes. Overall, these data highlight the dynamic role of BMP and FGF in the patterning of the hepatopancreatic region...
- Endocrine-related effects of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) in zebrafish, H295R steroidogenesis and receptor reporter gene assaysGuizhen Du
State Key Laboratory of Reproductive Medicine, Institute of Toxicology, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 211166, China
Chemosphere 91:1099-106. 2013..Exposure of zebrafish embryo to PFOA resulted in higher expression of esr1, hhex and pax. PFOA is able to interfere with hormone receptor ER and TR...
- Chemokine GPCR signaling inhibits β-catenin during zebrafish axis formationShu Yu Wu
Department of Biological Sciences, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, United States of America
PLoS Biol 10:e1001403. 2012..Our study delineates a novel negative, Gsk3β-independent control mechanism of β-catenin and implicates Ccr7 as a long-hypothesized GPCR regulating vertebrate axis formation...
- Antagonistic interactions of hedgehog, Bmp and retinoic acid signals control zebrafish endocrine pancreas developmentZahra Tehrani
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1606, USA
Development 138:631-40. 2011..These results identify multiple sequential roles for Hh in pancreas development and highlight an unexpected antagonistic relationship between Hh and other signaling pathways to control pancreatic specification and differentiation...
- Regulation of hhex expression in the yolk syncytial layer, the potential Nieuwkoop center homolog in zebrafishJohannes Bischof
Developmental Biology, Institute of Biology 1, University of Freiburg, Haupstrasse 1, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Dev Biol 276:552-62. 2004..the anterior endomesoderm in frogs (Xhex), the anterior visceral endoderm in mice, and the dorsal YSL in zebrafish (hhex). Here, we investigate the control of hhex expression in the YSL...
- The L6 domain tetraspanin Tm4sf4 regulates endocrine pancreas differentiation and directed cell migrationKeith R Anderson
Molecular Biology Program, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Development 138:3213-24. 2011..Identification of a role for Tm4sf4 during endocrine differentiation provides insight into islet progenitor cell behaviors and potential targetable regenerative mechanisms...
- Neuron navigator 3a regulates liver organogenesis during zebrafish embryogenesisChristian Klein
Department of Angiogenesis and Cardiovascular Pathology, Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine MDC, Berlin, Germany
Development 138:1935-45. 2011..We conclude that nav3a is required for directing endodermal organogenesis involving coordination of endodermal cell behavior...
- TSH receptor function is required for normal thyroid differentiation in zebrafishRobert Opitz
Institute of Interdisciplinary Research in Molecular Human Biology, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Mol Endocrinol 25:1579-99. 2011..A comparison of our results with phenotypes observed in mouse models of defective TSHR and cAMP signaling highlights the value of zebrafish as a model to enhance the understanding of functional differentiation in the vertebrate thyroid...
- liver-enriched gene 1a and 1b encode novel secretory proteins essential for normal liver development in zebrafishChangqing Chang
College of Animal Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e22910. 2011..Finally, we proved that Leg1 is a secretory protein. This intrigued us to propose that Leg1 might act as a novel secreted regulator that is essential for liver and other digestive organ development in zebrafish...
- A crucial interaction between embryonic red blood cell progenitors and paraxial mesoderm revealed in spadetail embryosLaurel A Rohde
Department of Organismal Biology and Anatomy, University of Chicago, IL 60637 USA
Dev Cell 7:251-62. 2004..Importantly, our data identify a hematopoietic microenvironment that allows embryonic RBC production in the zebrafish...
- Zebrafish scl functions independently in hematopoietic and endothelial developmentKimberly A Dooley
Division of Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Biol 277:522-36. 2005..Surprisingly, in cloche, lmo2 was not induced in response to scl over-expression. Taken together, these findings support distinct roles for scl in hematopoietic and endothelial development, downstream of hemangioblast development...
- Transcriptional regulation of hematopoietic stem cell development in zebrafishNelson Hsia
Stem Cell Program and Division of Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital Boston, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Exp Hematol 33:1007-14. 2005..Future studies using new technologies in the zebrafish model will enhance our understanding of the molecular networks regulating HSC pluripotency and differentiation...
- Liver specification: a new role for Wnts in liver developmentZoe D Burke
Centre for Regenerative Medicine, Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
Curr Biol 16:R688-90. 2006..Secreted Wnt proteins control a diverse array of developmental decisions. A recent analysis of the zebrafish mutant prometheus points to a previously unknown role for Wnts during liver specification...
- Gravin regulates mesodermal cell behavior changes required for axis elongation during zebrafish gastrulationDouglas C Weiser
Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Genes Dev 21:1559-71. 2007....
- Early developmental specification of the thyroid gland depends on han-expressing surrounding tissue and on FGF signalsThomas Wendl
Institute for Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Gyrhofstrasse 17, 50923 Koln, Germany
Development 134:2871-9. 2007..FGF-soaked beads can restore thyroid development in han mutants, showing that FGFs act downstream of or in parallel to han. These data suggest that loss of FGF-expressing tissue in han mutants is responsible for the thyroid defects...
- Multiple roles for Med12 in vertebrate endoderm developmentChong Hyun Shin
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Liver Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Dev Biol 317:467-79. 2008....
- Organ-specific requirements for Hdac1 in liver and pancreas formationEmily S Noël
National Institute for Medical Research, Division of Developmental Biology, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London, UK
Dev Biol 322:237-50. 2008..These findings establish zebrafish as a tractable system to investigate chromatin remodelling factor functions in controlling gene expression programmes in vertebrate endodermal organogenesis...
- Zebrafish runx1 promoter-EGFP transgenics mark discrete sites of definitive blood progenitorsEnid Yi Ni Lam
Department of Molecular Medicine and Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Blood 113:1241-9. 2009..The ability to visualize and isolate fluorescently labeled HSCs should contribute to further elucidating the complex regulation of HSC development...
- Alpha2 macroglobulin-like is essential for liver development in zebrafishSung Kook Hong
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e3736. 2008....
- Hgf/c-met expression and functional analysis during zebrafish embryogenesisAndrew J Latimer
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Dev Dyn 237:3904-15. 2008..Similar to mouse, knockdown of zebrafish Met reduces liver size. Our results suggest a role for Met during endoderm specification and indicate that mechanisms of liver development are conserved between mammals and bony fish...
- Mmp23b promotes liver development and hepatocyte proliferation through the tumor necrosis factor pathway in zebrafishFei Qi
Key Laboratory of Cell Proliferation and Differentiation, Center of Developmental Biology and Genetics, College of Life Sciences, Peking University, Ministry of Education, Beijing, China
Hepatology 52:2158-66. 2010..Because mmp23b/MMP23B is highly conserved, our findings in zebrafish warrant further investigation of its role in regulating liver development in mammals...
- T-cell factor 4 (tcf7l2) is the main effector of Wnt signaling during zebrafish intestine organogenesisAna Faro
Hubrecht Institute for Developmental Biology and Stem Cell Research, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Zebrafish 6:59-68. 2009..This study reveals that Tcf4 (tcf7l2) is the major effector of Wnt signaling in the intestine during zebrafish organogenesis...
- Forkhead transcription factor foxe1 regulates chondrogenesis in zebrafishChisako Nakada
Department of Molecular and Developmental Biology, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Minato ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 312:827-40. 2009..Furthermore, the roles reported for FOXE1 in mammalian thyroid development may have been acquired during evolution...
- Maternal and zygotic aldh1a2 activity is required for pancreas development in zebrafishKristen Alexa
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e8261. 2009..expression is less affected in the mutant, with varying degrees of residual expression observed for pdx1, carbA, hhex, prox1, sid4, transferrin and ifabp. In addition, mutant embryos display a swollen pericardium and lack fin buds...
- The UV-absorber benzophenone-4 alters transcripts of genes involved in hormonal pathways in zebrafish (Danio rerio) eleuthero-embryos and adult malesSara Zucchi
School of Life Sciences, University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland, Gründenstrasse 40, CH 4132 Muttenz, Switzerland
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 250:137-46. 2011..In eleuthero-embryos transcripts of vtg1, vtg3, esr1, esr2b, hsd17ß3, cyp19b cyp19a, hhex and pax8 were induced at 3000 μg/L BP-4, which points to a low estrogenic activity and interference with early ..
- Zebrafish peptidoglycan recognition protein SC (zfPGRP-SC) mediates multiple intracellular signaling pathwaysM X Chang
State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology, and Laboratory of Fish Diseases, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, Hubei Province 430072, PR China
Fish Shellfish Immunol 26:264-74. 2009..When transiently over-expressed in HEK293T cells, zfPGRP-SC inhibited NF-kappaB activity with and without lipopolysacharide (LPS) stimulation...
- Common genetic control of haemangioblast and cardiac development in zebrafishTessa Peterkin
Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DS, UK
Development 136:1465-74. 2009....
- Role of cdx genes and RA in regionalizing the endodermMARY KINKEL; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, I will investigate the role of RA signaling in regulating Cdx genes utilizing loss-of-function approaches as well as treatment with exogenous RA. ..