Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: her4.2
Description: hairy-related 4, tandem duplicate 2
Alias: HER-4, her4, her4.1, si:ch73-21g5.3, wu:fq41c06, zgc:55218, hairy-related 4.2, Hes5d, Hes5e, ch73-21g5.2, hairy-related 4, tandem duplicate 1, hairy-related 4.1
- Stickney H, Barresi M, Devoto S. Somite development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2000;219:287-303 pubmed..We show directly, for the first time, that muscle cell and sclerotome migrations occur at the same time. We end with a look at the many questions about somitogenesis that are still unanswered. ..
- Yeo S, Kim M, Kim H, Huh T, Chitnis A. Fluorescent protein expression driven by her4 regulatory elements reveals the spatiotemporal pattern of Notch signaling in the nervous system of zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;301:555-67 pubmed..We have characterized 3.4 kb 5'-regulatory sequence of a Notch target gene, her4, and used it to drive fluorescent gene expression in transgenic lines where the spatiotemporal pattern of Notch ..
- Chapouton P, Adolf B, Leucht C, Tannhäuser B, Ryu S, Driever W, et al. her5 expression reveals a pool of neural stem cells in the adult zebrafish midbrain. Development. 2006;133:4293-303 pubmed..In addition, the first transcription factor characteristic of this cell population, Her5, points to the E(Spl) as a promising family of candidate adult neural stem cell regulators. ..
- Takke C, Dornseifer P, v Weizsäcker E, Campos Ortega J. her4, a zebrafish homologue of the Drosophila neurogenic gene E(spl), is a target of NOTCH signalling. Development. 1999;126:1811-21 pubmedb>her4 encodes a zebrafish bHLH protein of the hairy-E(spl) family. The gene is transcribed in a complex pattern in the developing nervous system and in the hypoblast...
- Gajewski M, Elmasri H, Girschick M, Sieger D, Winkler C. Comparative analysis of her genes during fish somitogenesis suggests a mouse/chick-like mode of oscillation in medaka. Dev Genes Evol. 2006;216:315-32 pubmed publisher..g. Dr-her15) and medaka (e.g. Ol-her4)...
- Yamaguchi M, Tonou Fujimori N, Komori A, Maeda R, Nojima Y, Li H, et al. Histone deacetylase 1 regulates retinal neurogenesis in zebrafish by suppressing Wnt and Notch signaling pathways. Development. 2005;132:3027-43 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that Hdac1 functions as a dual switch that suppresses both cell-cycle progression and inhibition of neurogenesis in the zebrafish retina. ..
- Pasini A, Jiang Y, Wilkinson D. Two zebrafish Notch-dependent hairy/Enhancer-of-split-related genes, her6 and her4, are required to maintain the coordination of cyclic gene expression in the presomitic mesoderm. Development. 2004;131:1529-41 pubmed..study, we focus on two zebrafish Notch-dependent hairy/Enhancer-of-split-related transcription factors, Her6 and Her4, which are expressed at the transition zone between presomitic mesoderm and the segmented somites...
- Sieger D, Tautz D, Gajewski M. her11 is involved in the somitogenesis clock in zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol. 2004;214:393-406 pubmed..We have also studied the role of hey1 by morpholino injection, but could not find a direct function for this gene, suggesting that it reflects the output of the clock rather than being a core component of the mechanism. ..
- Ninkovic J, Tallafuss A, Leucht C, Topczewski J, Tannhäuser B, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Inhibition of neurogenesis at the zebrafish midbrain-hindbrain boundary by the combined and dose-dependent activity of a new hairy/E(spl) gene pair. Development. 2005;132:75-88 pubmed..We propose a molecular mechanism for this process where the global 'Him+Her5' activity inhibits ngn1 expression in a dose-dependent manner and through different sensitivity thresholds along the medio-lateral axis of the neural plate. ..
- Bae Y, Shimizu T, Hibi M. Patterning of proneuronal and inter-proneuronal domains by hairy- and enhancer of split-related genes in zebrafish neuroectoderm. Development. 2005;132:1375-85 pubmed..These data indicate that her3 and her9 function as prepattern genes that link the positional dorsoventral polarity information in the posterior neuroectoderm to the spatial regulation of neurogenesis. ..
- Dias T, Yang Y, Ogai K, Becker T, Becker C. Notch signaling controls generation of motor neurons in the lesioned spinal cord of adult zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2012;32:3245-52 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that Notch is a negative signal for regenerative neurogenesis, and, importantly, that spinal motor neuron regeneration can be augmented in an adult vertebrate by inhibiting Notch signaling. ..
- Chen J, Jette C, Kanki J, Aster J, Look A, Griffin J. NOTCH1-induced T-cell leukemia in transgenic zebrafish. Leukemia. 2007;21:462-71 pubmed..The ability of this model to detect a strong interaction between NOTCH1 and bcl2 suggests that genetic modifier screens have a high likelihood of revealing other genes that can cooperate with NOTCH1 to induce T-ALL. ..
- Rodriguez Viales R, Diotel N, Ferg M, Armant O, Eich J, Alunni A, et al. The helix-loop-helix protein id1 controls stem cell proliferation during regenerative neurogenesis in the adult zebrafish telencephalon. Stem Cells. 2015;33:892-903 pubmed publisher..Together, we propose that Id1 acts to maintain the neural stem cell pool by counteracting neurogenesis-promoting signals. ..
- Radosevic M, Fargas L, Alsina B. The role of her4 in inner ear development and its relationship with proneural genes and Notch signalling. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e109860 pubmed publisher..Here, we disclose the role of another her gene, her4, a zebrafish ortholog of Hes5 that is expressed in the neurogenic and sensory domains of the inner ear...
- Appel B, Marasco P, McClung L, Latimer A. lunatic fringe regulates Delta-Notch induction of hypochord in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:281-6 pubmed
- Mikami S, Nakaura M, Kawahara A, Mizoguchi T, Itoh M. Mindbomb 2 is dispensable for embryonic development and Notch signalling in zebrafish. Biol Open. 2015;4:1576-82 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that Mib2 is dispensable for embryonic development and does not have redundant functions with Mib1 in Notch signalling at least during early development stages in zebrafish. ..
- Wilson S, Wen W, Pillai Kastoori L, Morris A. Tracking the fate of her4 expressing cells in the regenerating retina using her4:Kaede zebrafish. Exp Eye Res. 2016;145:75-87 pubmed publisherThe Basic-Helix-Loop-Helix-Orange (bHLH-O) transcription factor Hairy-related 4 (her4) is a downstream effector of Notch-Delta signaling that represses expression of typically pro-neural genes in proliferative domains of the central ..
- Hozumi S, Hirabayashi R, Yoshizawa A, Ogata M, Ishitani T, Tsutsumi M, et al. DEAD-box protein Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33675 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results suggest a model in which zebrafish Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain, possibly through the control of pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Cheng Y, Chiang M, Shih H, Ma T, Yeh T, Huang Y, et al. The transcription factor hairy/E(spl)-related 2 induces proliferation of neural progenitors and regulates neurogenesis and gliogenesis. Dev Biol. 2015;397:116-28 pubmed publisher..Together, these two mechanisms ensure the proper development of the neural progenitor cell pool. ..
- Imai F, Yoshizawa A, Matsuzaki A, Oguri E, Araragi M, Nishiwaki Y, et al. Stem-loop binding protein is required for retinal cell proliferation, neurogenesis, and intraretinal axon pathfinding in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;394:94-109 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate important roles of SLBP in retinal development. ..
- Lush M, Piotrowski T. ErbB expressing Schwann cells control lateral line progenitor cells via non-cell-autonomous regulation of Wnt/?-catenin. elife. 2014;3:e01832 pubmed publisher..DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.01832.001. ..
- Jacob J, Ribes V, Moore S, Constable S, Sasai N, Gerety S, et al. Valproic acid silencing of ascl1b/Ascl1 results in the failure of serotonergic differentiation in a zebrafish model of fetal valproate syndrome. Dis Model Mech. 2014;7:107-17 pubmed publisher..Together, these data provide a molecular explanation for serotonergic defects in FVS and highlight an epigenetic mechanism for genome-environment interaction in disease. ..
- Uribe R, Kwon T, Marcotte E, Gross J. Id2a functions to limit Notch pathway activity and thereby influence the transition from proliferation to differentiation of retinoblasts during zebrafish retinogenesis. Dev Biol. 2012;371:280-92 pubmed publisher..These data highlight the integral role played by Id2a in the gene regulatory network governing the transition from retinoblast proliferation to terminal differentiation during vertebrate retinogenesis. ..
- Yamaguchi M, Imai F, Tonou Fujimori N, Masai I. Mutations in N-cadherin and a Stardust homolog, Nagie oko, affect cell-cycle exit in zebrafish retina. Mech Dev. 2010;127:247-64 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that apicobasal cell polarity and epithelial integrity are essential for retinal neurogenesis in zebrafish. ..
- Jung S, Kim H, Ryu J, Gwak J, Bae Y, Kim C, et al. Her4-positive population in the tectum opticum is proliferating neural precursors in the adult zebrafish brain. Mol Cells. 2012;33:627-32 pubmed publisher..The goal of this study was to characterize Her4-positive cells by comparing the expression of a fluorescent Her4 reporter in Tg[her4-dRFP] animals with a GFAP ..
- Postlethwait J, Yan Y, Gates M, Horne S, Amores A, Brownlie A, et al. Vertebrate genome evolution and the zebrafish gene map. Nat Genet. 1998;18:345-9 pubmed..This zebrafish gene map will facilitate molecular identification of mutated zebrafish genes, which can suggest functions for human genes known only by sequence. ..
- Liu Y, Tsai I, Morleo M, Oh E, Leitch C, Massa F, et al. Ciliopathy proteins regulate paracrine signaling by modulating proteasomal degradation of mediators. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:2059-70 pubmed..Taken together, our data indicate that basal body proteasomal regulation governs paracrine signaling pathways and suggest that augmenting proteasomal function might benefit ciliopathy patients. ..
- Taylor S, Alvarez Delfin K, Saade C, Thomas J, Thummel R, Fadool J, et al. The bHLH Transcription Factor NeuroD Governs Photoreceptor Genesis and Regeneration Through Delta-Notch Signaling. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015;56:7496-515 pubmed publisher..In contrast, during embryonic development, NeuroD governs photoreceptor maturation via mechanisms that are independent of Notch signaling. ..
- Hsieh F, Ma T, Shih H, Lin S, Huang C, Wang H, et al. Dner inhibits neural progenitor proliferation and induces neuronal and glial differentiation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;375:1-12 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to demonstrate a role for Dner in neural progenitors and neuronal differentiation and provides new insights into mediation of neuronal development and differentiation by the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Ishitani T, Matsumoto K, Chitnis A, Itoh M. Nrarp functions to modulate neural-crest-cell differentiation by regulating LEF1 protein stability. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:1106-12 pubmed..Furthermore, activation of LEF1 does not affect Notch activity or vice versa. These findings reveal that Nrarp independently regulates canonical Wnt and Notch signalling by modulating LEF1 and Notch protein turnover, respectively. ..
- Ohata S, Kinoshita S, Aoki R, Tanaka H, Wada H, Tsuruoka Kinoshita S, et al. Neuroepithelial cells require fucosylated glycans to guide the migration of vagus motor neuron progenitors in the developing zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2009;136:1653-63 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that fucosylated glycans expressed in neuroepithelial cells are required to guide the migration of vagus motor neuron progenitors. ..
- Dong Z, Yang N, Yeo S, Chitnis A, Guo S. Intralineage directional Notch signaling regulates self-renewal and differentiation of asymmetrically dividing radial glia. Neuron. 2012;74:65-78 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal with single-cell resolution how self-renewal and differentiation become precisely segregated within asymmetrically dividing neural progenitor/stem lineages. ..
- Yoo K, Thiruvarangan M, Jeong Y, Lee M, Maddirevula S, Rhee M, et al. Mind Bomb-Binding Partner RanBP9 Plays a Contributory Role in Retinal Development. Mol Cells. 2017;40:271-279 pubmed publisher..cells, downregulation of neuronal differentiation marker huC, elevation of neural proliferation marker her4, and alteration of cell cycle marker p57kip2...
- Romero Carvajal A, Navajas Acedo J, Jiang L, Kozlovskaja GumbrienÄ— A, Alexander R, Li H, et al. Regeneration of Sensory Hair Cells Requires Localized Interactions between the Notch and Wnt Pathways. Dev Cell. 2015;34:267-82 pubmed publisher..The striking similaritiesÂ toÂ other vertebrate stem cell compartments uniquely place zebrafish to help elucidate why mammals possess such low capacity to regenerate hair cells. ..
- Diks S, Sartori da Silva M, Hillebrands J, Bink R, Versteeg H, van Rooijen C, et al. d-Asb11 is an essential mediator of canonical Delta-Notch signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:1190-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that d-Asb11 is a component in the regulation of Delta-Notch signalling, important in fine-tuning the lateral inhibition gradients between DeltaA and Notch through a cell non-autonomous mechanism. ..
- Dyer C, Linker C, Graham A, Knight R. Specification of sensory neurons occurs through diverse developmental programs functioning in the brain and spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1429-39 pubmed publisher..Our work reveals fundamental differences between the development of MTN and RB neurons and suggests that these populations are non-homologous and thus have distinct developmental and, probably, evolutionary origins. ..
- Kantarci H, Edlund R, Groves A, Riley B. Tfap2a promotes specification and maturation of neurons in the inner ear through modulation of Bmp, Fgf and notch signaling. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005037 pubmed publisher..Together, these data support a model in which Tfap2a, acting through Bmp7a, modulates Fgf and Notch signaling to control the duration, amount and speed of SAG neural development. ..
- Quillien A, Blanco Sanchez B, Halluin C, Moore J, Lawson N, Blader P, et al. BMP signaling orchestrates photoreceptor specification in the zebrafish pineal gland in collaboration with Notch. Development. 2011;138:2293-302 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into how multiple signaling influences are integrated during cell fate specification in the vertebrate CNS. ..
- Dirian L, Galant S, Coolen M, Chen W, Bedu S, Houart C, et al. Spatial regionalization and heterochrony in the formation of adult pallial neural stem cells. Dev Cell. 2014;30:123-36 pubmed publisher..This dual origin of the pallial germinal zone allows the temporally organized building of pallial territories as a patchwork of juxtaposed compartments. ..
- Akanuma T, Koshida S, Kawamura A, Kishimoto Y, Takada S. Paf1 complex homologues are required for Notch-regulated transcription during somite segmentation. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:858-63 pubmed..Therefore, zebrafish homologues of the yeast Paf1 complex seem to preferentially affect a subset of genes, including Notch-regulated genes, during embryogenesis. ..
- Latimer A, Appel B. Notch signaling regulates midline cell specification and proliferation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;298:392-402 pubmed..Together, our results indicate that Notch signaling regulates allocation of appropriate numbers of different midline cells by different mechanisms. ..
- Zhou M, Yan J, Ma Z, Zhou Y, Abbood N, Liu J, et al. Comparative and evolutionary analysis of the HES/HEY gene family reveal exon/intron loss and teleost specific duplication events. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40649 pubmed publisher..This study shows a model of gene family analysis with gene structure evolution and duplication. ..
- Shin J, Poling J, Park H, Appel B. Notch signaling regulates neural precursor allocation and binary neuronal fate decisions in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:1911-20 pubmed
- Tsutsumi M, Itoh M. Novel transcript nort is a downstream target gene of the Notch signaling pathway in zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:227-32 pubmed..We found its expression pattern to be similar to that of her4, but it showed some differences, at least in the anterior and posterior neural plate at the 3-somite stage...
- Sumanas S, Zhang B, Dai R, Lin S. 15-zinc finger protein Bloody Fingers is required for zebrafish morphogenetic movements during neurulation. Dev Biol. 2005;283:85-96 pubmed..We conclude that blf plays an important role in regulating morphogenetic movements during gastrulation and neurulation while its role in hematopoiesis may be redundant. ..
- Galant S, Furlan G, Coolen M, Dirian L, Foucher I, Bally Cuif L. Embryonic origin and lineage hierarchies of the neural progenitor subtypes building the zebrafish adult midbrain. Dev Biol. 2016;420:120-135 pubmed publisher..hierarchy involving, in order, the amplification pool of the tectal proliferation zone (TPZ), followed by her4-positive RG cells with transient neurogenic activity...
- Dozawa M, Kono H, Sato Y, Ito Y, Tanaka H, Ohshima T. Valproic acid, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, regulates cell proliferation in the adult zebrafish optic tectum. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1401-15 pubmed publisher..increased the number of proliferating cells in the adult zebrafish optic tectum with down-regulated expression of her4, a target of Notch signaling...
- Bai T, Seebald J, Kim K, Ding H, Szeto D, Chang H. Disruption of zebrafish cyclin G-associated kinase (GAK) function impairs the expression of Notch-dependent genes during neurogenesis and causes defects in neuronal development. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:7 pubmed publisher..can increase the specification of neuronal cells, a known Notch-dependent process, and decrease the expression of Her4, a Notch target gene...
- Siekierska A, Isrie M, Liu Y, Scheldeman C, Vanthillo N, Lagae L, et al. Gain-of-function FHF1 mutation causes early-onset epileptic encephalopathy with cerebellar atrophy. Neurology. 2016;86:2162-70 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that gain-of-function FHF mutations can cause neurologic disorder, and expand the repertoire of genetic causes (FHF1) and mechanisms (altered Nav gating) underlying EOEE and cerebellar atrophy. ..
- Cosacak M, Bhattarai P, Bocova L, Dzewas T, Mashkaryan V, Papadimitriou C, et al. Human TAUP301L overexpression results in TAU hyperphosphorylation without neurofibrillary tangles in adult zebrafish brain. Sci Rep. 2017;7:12959 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results propose a cellular mechanism that protects the adult zebrafish brain against tauopathies, and our model can be used to understand how TAU toxicity can be prevented in humans. ..