Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hbae1
Description: hemoglobin, alpha embryonic 1
Alias: HBA2r, HBAA1, SI:dZ118J2.10, SI:dZ118J2.8, dZ118J2.6, hba2, si:by119c3.1, si:by119c3.3, si:xx-119c3.3, wu:fa12a11, wu:fb74f06, zgc:86936, hemoglobin, alpha embryonic 1, HbA, alphae1globin, etID40432.3, globin alphae1, hemoglobin alpha-2 chain
- Ganis J, Hsia N, Trompouki E, de Jong J, DiBiase A, Lambert J, et al. Zebrafish globin switching occurs in two developmental stages and is controlled by the LCR. Dev Biol. 2012;366:185-94 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide a comprehensive characterization of the zebrafish globin loci and clarify the regulation of globin switching. ..
- Yuan H, Zhou J, Deng M, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Jin Y, et al. Sumoylation of CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein ? promotes the biased primitive hematopoiesis of zebrafish. Blood. 2011;117:7014-20 pubmed publisher..Our results therefore implicate sumoylation in early lineage determination and reveal the possible molecular mechanism underlying the puzzling biased primitive hematopoiesis in vertebrates. ..
- Li X, Lan Y, Xu J, Zhang W, Wen Z. SUMO1-activating enzyme subunit 1 is essential for the survival of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells in zebrafish. Development. 2012;139:4321-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that sae1 is essential for the maintenance of HSPCs during fetal hematopoiesis in zebrafish. ..
- Rhodes J, Hagen A, Hsu K, Deng M, Liu T, Look A, et al. Interplay of pu.1 and gata1 determines myelo-erythroid progenitor cell fate in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2005;8:97-108 pubmed..1 in the bloodless mutant cloche resulted in myelopoietic rescue, providing intriguing evidence that this gene can function in the absence of some stem cell genes, such as scl, in governing myelopoiesis. ..
- Kramer J, Granier C, Davis S, Piso K, Hand J, Rabson A, et al. PDCD2 controls hematopoietic stem cell differentiation during development. Stem Cells Dev. 2013;22:58-72 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the effects of pdcd2 in regulating mitotic cell death may contribute to its role(s) in directing hematopoietic differentiation during development...
- Liu T, Rhodes J, Deng M, Hsu K, Radomska H, Kanki J, et al. Dominant-interfering C/EBPalpha stimulates primitive erythropoiesis in zebrafish. Exp Hematol. 2007;35:230-9 pubmed..Expression of the truncated isoforms of cebpa alters the developmental pattern of hematopoietic progenitor cells during embryogenesis. ..
- Craven S, French D, Ye W, de Sauvage F, Rosenthal A. Loss of Hspa9b in zebrafish recapitulates the ineffective hematopoiesis of the myelodysplastic syndrome. Blood. 2005;105:3528-34 pubmed..Thus, we identify an essential role for Hspa9b in hematopoiesis and implicate both loss of HSPA9B specifically and mitochondrial dysfunction generally in the pathogenesis of the MDS. ..
- Belele C, English M, Chahal J, Burnetti A, Finckbeiner S, Gibney G, et al. Differential requirement for Gata1 DNA binding and transactivation between primitive and definitive stages of hematopoiesis in zebrafish. Blood. 2009;114:5162-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the impact of Gata1 on hematopoiesis correlates with its DNA-binding ability and that primitive hematopoiesis is more sensitive to reduction in Gata1 function than definitive hematopoiesis. ..
- Wardle F, Odom D, Bell G, Yuan B, Danford T, Wiellette E, et al. Zebrafish promoter microarrays identify actively transcribed embryonic genes. Genome Biol. 2006;7:R71 pubmed..This approach will allow investigators to determine the genomic binding locations of DNA interacting proteins during development and expedite the assembly of the genetic networks that regulate embryogenesis. ..
- Dresner E, Malishkevich A, Arviv C, Leibman Barak S, Alon S, Ofir R, et al. Novel evolutionary-conserved role for the activity-dependent neuroprotective protein (ADNP) family that is important for erythropoiesis. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:40173-85 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results reveal an ancestral role for the ADNP protein family in maturation and differentiation of the erythroid lineage, associated with direct regulation of ?-globin expression. ..
- Su Z, Si W, Li L, Zhou B, Li X, Xu Y, et al. MiR-144 regulates hematopoiesis and vascular development by targeting meis1 during zebrafish development. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2014;49:53-63 pubmed publisher..These findings establish miR-144 as a novel miRNA that regulates hematopoiesis and vascular development by repressing expression of meis1. ..
- Ma A, Fung T, Lin R, Chung M, Yang D, Ekker S, et al. Methionine aminopeptidase 2 is required for HSC initiation and proliferation. Blood. 2011;118:5448-57 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrated a hitherto-undescribed role of MetAP2 in definitive hematopoiesis and a possible link to noncanonical Wnt and ERK signaling. ..
- Espina J, Feijóo C, Solís C, Glavic A. csrnp1a is necessary for the development of primitive hematopoiesis progenitors in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53858 pubmed publisher..These and previous observations suggest an important role of Csnrps transcription factors in progenitor biology, both in the neural and hematopoietic linages. ..
- Devireddy L, Hart D, Goetz D, Green M. A mammalian siderophore synthesized by an enzyme with a bacterial homolog involved in enterobactin production. Cell. 2010;141:1006-17 pubmed publisher..Siderophore-depleted mammalian cells and zebrafish embryos fail to synthesize heme, an iron-dependent mitochondrial process. Our results reveal features of intracellular iron homeostasis that are conserved from bacteria through humans. ..
- Zhuravleva J, Solary E, Chluba J, Bastie J, Delva L. A role for the transcription intermediary factor 2 in zebrafish myelopoiesis. Exp Hematol. 2008;36:559-67 pubmed publisher..These data indicate an important role for TIF2 in zebrafish primitive myelopoiesis. ..
- Mercurio S, Petrillo S, Chiabrando D, Bassi Z, Gays D, Camporeale A, et al. The heme exporter Flvcr1 regulates expansion and differentiation of committed erythroid progenitors by controlling intracellular heme accumulation. Haematologica. 2015;100:720-9 pubmed publisher..Consistently, reduction or increase of the cytosolic heme rescued the erythroid defects in zebrafish deficient in Flvcr1a or Flvcr1b, respectively. Thus, heme export represents a tightly regulated process that controls erythropoiesis. ..
- Brownlie A, Donovan A, Pratt S, Paw B, Oates A, Brugnara C, et al. Positional cloning of the zebrafish sauternes gene: a model for congenital sideroblastic anaemia. Nat Genet. 1998;20:244-50 pubmed..As mutations in ALAS2 cause congenital sideroblastic anaemia (CSA) in humans, sau represents the first animal model of this disease. ..
- Jin H, Sood R, Xu J, Zhen F, English M, Liu P, et al. Definitive hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells manifest distinct differentiation output in the zebrafish VDA and PBI. Development. 2009;136:647-54 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the importance of niche in shaping the differentiation output of developing HSPCs. ..
- Rohde L, Oates A, Ho R. A crucial interaction between embryonic red blood cell progenitors and paraxial mesoderm revealed in spadetail embryos. Dev Cell. 2004;7:251-62 pubmed..Importantly, our data identify a hematopoietic microenvironment that allows embryonic RBC production in the zebrafish. ..
- Oates A, Brownlie A, Pratt S, Irvine D, Liao E, Paw B, et al. Gene duplication of zebrafish JAK2 homologs is accompanied by divergent embryonic expression patterns: only jak2a is expressed during erythropoiesis. Blood. 1999;94:2622-36 pubmed..Taken together with recent gene knockout data in the mouse, we suggest that jak2a may be functionally equivalent to mammalian Jak2, with a role in early erythropoiesis. ..
- Rhodes J, Amsterdam A, Sanda T, Moreau L, McKenna K, Heinrichs S, et al. Emi1 maintains genomic integrity during zebrafish embryogenesis and cooperates with p53 in tumor suppression. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:5911-22 pubmed publisher..Our results cast Emi1 as a critical regulator of genomic fidelity during embryogenesis and suggest that the factor may act as a tumor suppressor. ..
- Hanaoka R, Katayama S, Dawid I, Kawahara A. Characterization of the heme synthesis enzyme coproporphyrinogen oxidase (CPO) in zebrafish erythrogenesis. Genes Cells. 2006;11:293-303 pubmed
- Hirabayashi R, Hozumi S, Higashijima S, Kikuchi Y. Ddx46 is required for multi-lineage differentiation of hematopoietic stem cells in zebrafish. Stem Cells Dev. 2013;22:2532-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results provide the first genetic evidence that zebrafish Ddx46 is required for the multilineage differentiation of HSCs during development, through the regulation of specific gene expressions. ..
- Gjini E, Mansour M, Sander J, Moritz N, Nguyen A, Kesarsing M, et al. A zebrafish model of myelodysplastic syndrome produced through tet2 genomic editing. Mol Cell Biol. 2015;35:789-804 pubmed publisher..tet2(m/m) zebrafish are viable and fertile, providing an ideal model to dissect altered pathways in hematopoietic cells and, for small-molecule screens in embryos, to identify compounds with specific activity against tet2 mutant cells. ..
- Ma A, Fan A, Ward A, Liongue C, Lewis R, Cheng S, et al. A novel zebrafish jak2a(V581F) model shared features of human JAK2(V617F) polycythemia vera. Exp Hematol. 2009;37:1379-1386.e4 pubmed publisher..In this study, we generated a zebrafish ortholog of human JAK2(V617F) (referred herewith jak2a(V581F)) by site-directed mutagenesis and examined its relevance as a model of human PV...
- Du L, Xu J, Li X, Ma N, Liu Y, Peng J, et al. Rumba and Haus3 are essential factors for the maintenance of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells during zebrafish hematopoiesis. Development. 2011;138:619-29 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies Rumba and Haus3 as two essential regulators of HSPC maintenance during zebrafish fetal hematopoiesis. ..
- Zhang Z, Jia H, Zhang Q, Wan Y, Zhou Y, Jia Q, et al. Assessment of hematopoietic failure due to Rpl11 deficiency in a zebrafish model of Diamond-Blackfan anemia by deep sequencing. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:896 pubmed publisher..The present analyses demonstrate that Rpl11-deficient zebrafish may serve as a model of DBA and may provide insights into the pathogenesis of mutant RPL11-mediated human DBA disease...
- Mei J, Liu S, Li Z, Gui J. Mtmr8 is essential for vasculature development in zebrafish embryos. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:96 pubmed publisher..Here, we attempt to explore the function of Mtmr8 in vasculature development parallel to its function in muscle development...
- Zhang Y, Jin H, Li L, Qin F, Wen Z. cMyb regulates hematopoietic stem/progenitor cell mobilization during zebrafish hematopoiesis. Blood. 2011;118:4093-101 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that cMyb plays a hitherto unidentified role in dictating physiologic HSPC migration by modulating Sdf1a signaling. ..
- Gao L, Li D, Ma K, Zhang W, Xu T, Fu C, et al. TopBP1 Governs Hematopoietic Stem/Progenitor Cells Survival in Zebrafish Definitive Hematopoiesis. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005346 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this study demonstrates a novel and vital role of TopBP1 in the maintenance of HSPCs genome integrity and survival during hematopoietic progenitor expansion. ..
- Dong Z, Ren C, Xia Y, Su D, Du T, Fan H, et al. Pten regulates homeostasis and inflammation-induced migration of myelocytes in zebrafish. J Hematol Oncol. 2014;7:17 pubmed publisher..Our data provide in vivo evidence that definitive myelopoiesis in zebrafish is critically regulated by pten via the elevation of cebpa expression. ..
- Qin W, Chen Z, Zhang Y, Yan R, Yan G, Li S, et al. Nom1 mediates pancreas development by regulating ribosome biogenesis in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e100796 pubmed publisher..This suggests that targeting Pp1? into the nucleolus by Nom1 is important for pancreatic proliferation. Altogether, our studies revealed a new mechanism involving Nom1 in controlling vertebrate exocrine pancreas formation. ..
- Bibikova E, Youn M, Danilova N, Ono Uruga Y, Konto Ghiorghi Y, Ochoa R, et al. TNF-mediated inflammation represses GATA1 and activates p38 MAP kinase in RPS19-deficient hematopoietic progenitors. Blood. 2014;124:3791-8 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that RPS19 deficiency leads to inflammation, p53-dependent increase in TNF-Î±, activation of p38 MAPK, and decreased GATA1 expression, suggesting a novel mechanism for the erythroid defects observed in DBA. ..
- Yuan H, Zhang T, Liu X, Deng M, Zhang W, Wen Z, et al. Sumoylation of CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein Î± is implicated in hematopoietic stem/progenitor cell development through regulating runx1 in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2015;5:9011 pubmed publisher..While C/ebpÎ±-dependent transcription is involved in myeloid differentiation, our studies here reveal that C/ebpÎ± sumoylation is essential for HSPC development during definitive hematopoiesis. ..
- Chung M, Ma A, Fung T, Leung A. Characterization of Sry-related HMG box group F genes in zebrafish hematopoiesis. Exp Hematol. 2011;39:986-998.e5 pubmed publisher..sox32 affected both vascular and hematopoietic development through its effects on medial migration of the hematopoietic and endothelial progenitors. ..
- Tiedke J, Gerlach F, Mitz S, Hankeln T, Burmester T. Ontogeny of globin expression in zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Comp Physiol B. 2011;181:1011-21 pubmed publisher..Globin X mRNA level was highest in oocytes, but low in later stages. Together, these data suggest a specific role for each globin, which are also associated with certain events in fish development. ..
- Gardiner M, Gongora M, Grimmond S, Perkins A. A global role for zebrafish klf4 in embryonic erythropoiesis. Mech Dev. 2007;124:762-74 pubmed..In addition, we show klf4 preferentially binds CACCC box elements in the primitive zebrafish beta-like globin gene promoters. These results have global implications for primitive erythroid gene regulation by KLF-CACCC box interactions. ..
- Iida A, Sakaguchi K, Sato K, Sakurai H, Nishimura D, Iwaki A, et al. Metalloprotease-dependent onset of blood circulation in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1110-6 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, we propose that the first erythroid cells require both flow-dependent passive and proteolysis-dependent active processes to enter the circulation. ..
- Wang H, Li Y, Wang S, Zhang Q, Zheng J, Yang Y, et al. Knockdown of transcription factor forkhead box O3 (FOXO3) suppresses erythroid differentiation in human cells and zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;460:923-30 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, injection of foxo3b-specific morpholinos (foxo3b MO) resulted in reduced globin (hbae1 and hbbe2) and gata1 gene expression...
- Suryawanshi H, Lalwani M, Ramasamy S, Rana R, Scaria V, Sivasubbu S, et al. Antagonism of microRNA function in zebrafish embryos by using locked nucleic acid enzymes (LNAzymes). Chembiochem. 2012;13:584-9 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that LNAzyme can efficiently knockdown miRNAs with minimal toxicity to the zebrafish embryos. ..
- Delgado Olguin P, Brand Arzamendi K, Scott I, Jungblut B, Stainier D, Bruneau B, et al. CTCF promotes muscle differentiation by modulating the activity of myogenic regulatory factors. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:12483-94 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CTCF modulates MRF functional interactions in the orchestration of myogenesis. ..
- Haunhorst P, Hanschmann E, Bräutigam L, Stehling O, Hoffmann B, Muhlenhoff U, et al. Crucial function of vertebrate glutaredoxin 3 (PICOT) in iron homeostasis and hemoglobin maturation. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:1895-903 pubmed publisher..These data suggest an evolutionarily conserved role of cytosolic monothiol multidomain glutaredoxins in cellular iron metabolism pathways, including the biogenesis of Fe/S proteins and hemoglobin maturation. ..
- Hart D, Santra M, Raha T, Green M. Selective interaction between Trf3 and Taf3 required for early development and hematopoiesis. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2540-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide evidence that TRF3 and TAF3 are also required for hematopoiesis initiation in the mouse. ..
- Wang H, Zhou Q, Kesinger J, Norris C, Valdez C. Heme regulates exocrine peptidase precursor genes in zebrafish. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2007;232:1170-80 pubmed..Our findings provide a better understanding of heme deficiency pathogenesis and enhance our ability to diagnose and treat patients with porphyria or pancreatic diseases. ..
- Soza Ried C, Hess I, Netuschil N, Schorpp M, Boehm T. Essential role of c-myb in definitive hematopoiesis is evolutionarily conserved. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:17304-8 pubmed publisher..Our results, therefore, suggest that the key role of c-myb in definitive hematopoiesis is similar to that in mammals and must have become established early in vertebrate evolution. ..
- Liu X, Jia X, Yuan H, Ma K, Chen Y, Jin Y, et al. DNA methyltransferase 1 functions through C/ebpa to maintain hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells in zebrafish. J Hematol Oncol. 2015;8:15 pubmed publisher..Dnmt1 is required for HSPC maintenance via cebpa regulation during definitive hematopoiesis in zebrafish. ..
- Hutchinson S, Tooke Locke E, Wang J, Tsai S, Katz T, Trede N. Tbl3 regulates cell cycle length during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2012;368:261-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that tbl3 plays a tissue-specific role regulating cell cycle rate during development. ..
- He B, Shi X, Man C, Ma A, Ekker S, Chow H, et al. Functions of flt3 in zebrafish hematopoiesis and its relevance to human acute myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2014;123:2518-29 pubmed publisher..This study provides novel insight into the role of flt3 during hematopoiesis and establishes a zebrafish model of FLT3-ITD(+) and FLT3-TKD(+) AML that may facilitate high-throughput screening of novel and personalized agents. ..
- Hsu K, Traver D, Kutok J, Hagen A, Liu T, Paw B, et al. The pu.1 promoter drives myeloid gene expression in zebrafish. Blood. 2004;104:1291-7 pubmed..These transgenic lines will be useful to dissect the cellular and molecular control of myeloid cell differentiation, and this promoter fragment may prove useful in the development of zebrafish models of acute myeloid leukemia. ..
- Ma A, Chung M, Liang R, Leung A. The role of survivin2 in primitive hematopoiesis during zebrafish development. Leukemia. 2009;23:712-20 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, sur2 is important in maintaining hematopoietic stem and lineage committed cells during zebrafish development, by virtue of its antiapoptotic activity in a caspase dependent and cell autonomous fashion. ..
- Oates A, Wollberg P, Pratt S, Paw B, Johnson S, Ho R, et al. Zebrafish stat3 is expressed in restricted tissues during embryogenesis and stat1 rescues cytokine signaling in a STAT1-deficient human cell line. Dev Dyn. 1999;215:352-70 pubmed..dev dyn 1999;215:352-370. ..
- Sumanas S, Jorniak T, Lin S. Identification of novel vascular endothelial-specific genes by the microarray analysis of the zebrafish cloche mutants. Blood. 2005;106:534-41 pubmed..Further functional studies of these novel genes should help to elucidate critical early steps leading to the formation of vertebrate blood vessels. ..
- Sandoval I, Manos E, Van Wagoner R, Delacruz R, Edes K, Winge D, et al. Juxtaposition of chemical and mutation-induced developmental defects in zebrafish reveal a copper-chelating activity for kalihinol F. Chem Biol. 2013;20:753-63 pubmed publisher..Our data support this mechanism of action for kalihinol F and the utility of zebrafish as an effective system for identifying therapeutic and target pathways. ..
- Zhang Y, Wang H, Wen D, Zhang J, Zheng F, Jiang N, et al. Tissue factor pathway inhibitor-2 is critical in zebrafish cardiogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;456:827-33 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study demonstrated a critical role of zTfpi-2 during embryonic cardiac development, as well as an important regulator of hematopoiesis. ..