Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hamp
Description: hepcidin antimicrobial peptide
Alias: hamp1, hamp2, hep, hepcidin-1, hepcidin antimicrobial peptide 1, hepcidin antimicrobial peptide 2, hepcidin-2, iron regulatory peptide, preprohepcidin 1
- Zhen A, Nguyen N, Gibert Y, Motola S, Buckett P, Wessling Resnick M, et al. The small molecule, genistein, increases hepcidin expression in human hepatocytes. Hepatology. 2013;58:1315-25 pubmed publisher..Genistein and other candidate molecules may subsequently be developed into new therapies for iron overload syndromes...
- Li X, Rhee D, Malhotra R, Mayeur C, Hurst L, Ager E, et al. Progesterone receptor membrane component-1 regulates hepcidin biosynthesis. J Clin Invest. 2016;126:389-401 pubmed publisher..These studies have identified drug candidates and potential therapeutic targets for the treatment of diseases of abnormal iron metabolism. ..
- Liu Q, Xin Z, Zhang D, Jiang S, Chai X, Wang Z, et al. cDNA cloning and expression analysis of a hepcidin gene from yellow catfish Pelteobagrus fulvidraco (Siluriformes: Bagridae). Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;60:247-254 pubmed publisher..Together these results imply that PfHep may be an important component of the innate immune system and be involved in immune defense against invading pathogens. ..
- Jiang X, Liu Z, Lin A, Xiang L, Shao J. Coordination of Bactericidal and Iron Regulatory Functions of Hepcidin in Innate Antimicrobial Immunity in a Zebrafish Model. Sci Rep. 2017;7:4265 pubmed publisher..Results indicate that the induction of hepcidin leads to the decrease of iron in circulation, which eventually limits iron availability to invading microorganisms, thus contributing to host defence. ..
- Liu X, Chang X, Wu H, Xiao J, Gao Y, Zhang Y. Role of intestinal inflammation in predisposition of Edwardsiella tarda infection in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2014;41:271-8 pubmed publisher..tarda infection might inhibit the growth of intestinal microbiota. Our results suggest that maintaining good management to avoid intestinal inflammation is a feasible prevention measure against edwardsiellosis. ..
- Chi J, Liao L, Wang R, Jhu C, Wu J, Hu S. Molecular cloning and functional characterization of the hepcidin gene from the convict cichlid (Amatitlania nigrofasciata) and its expression pattern in response to lipopolysaccharide challenge. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2015;41:449-61 pubmed publisher..vulnificus-infected zebrafish. Taken together, these data indicate an important role for AN-hepc in the innate immunity of A. nigrofasciata and suggest its potential application in aquaculture for increasing resistance to disease. ..
- Jheng Y, Lee L, Ting C, Pan C, Hui C, Chen J. Zebrafish fed on recombinant Artemia expressing epinecidin-1 exhibit increased survival and altered expression of immunomodulatory genes upon Vibrio vulnificus infection. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2015;42:1-15 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that feeding transgenic Artemia expressing CMV-gfp-epi to larval fish has antimicrobial effects, without the drawbacks of introducing drug residues or inducing bacterial drug resistance. ..
- Jiang Y, Yan Y, Wang X, Zhu G, Xu Y. Hepcidin inhibition on the effect of osteogenesis in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;476:1-6 pubmed publisher..Most importantly, we revealed that hepcidin was capable of removing whole-body iron which facilitated larval recovery from the reductions in bone formation and osteogenesis induced by iron overload. ..
- Gonçalves A, Neves J, Coimbra J, Rodrigues P, Vijayan M, Wilson J. Cortisol plays a role in the high environmental ammonia associated suppression of the immune response in zebrafish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;249:32-39 pubmed publisher..leukocyte cell-derived chemotaxin 2-like (lect2l), haptoglobin (hp), hepcidin (=hepatic anti-microbial peptide hamp), and complement component 3b (c3b)] by real-time quantitative PCR...
- Yang H, Zou S, Zhai L, Wang Y, Zhang F, An L, et al. Pathogen invasion changes the intestinal microbiota composition and induces innate immune responses in the zebrafish intestine. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;71:35-42 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that the invasion of pathogen could change the intestinal microbiota composition and induce intestinal innate immune responses in zebrafish. ..
- Chatterjee A, Roy D, Patnaik E, Nongthomba U. Muscles provide protection during microbial infection by activating innate immune response pathways in Drosophila and zebrafish. Dis Model Mech. 2016;9:697-705 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that physiologically fit muscles might boost the innate immune response of an individual. ..
- Lin B, Chen S, Cao Z, Lin Y, Mo D, Zhang H, et al. Acute phase response in zebrafish upon Aeromonas salmonicida and Staphylococcus aureus infection: striking similarities and obvious differences with mammals. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:295-301 pubmed..Our results constitute the first demonstration of a similar while different immune response in zebrafish and open new avenues for the investigation of evolutionary conserved and fish specific mechanisms of innate immunity...
- Holowiecki A, O Shields B, Jenny M. Characterization of heme oxygenase and biliverdin reductase gene expression in zebrafish (Danio rerio): Basal expression and response to pro-oxidant exposures. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2016;311:74-87 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate distinct mechanisms of hmox and bvr transcriptional regulation in zebrafish, providing initial evidence of the partitioning of function of the hmox paralogs. ..
- Lu X, Xiang Y, Yang G, Zhang L, Wang H, Zhong S. Transcriptomic characterization of zebrafish larvae in response to mercury exposure. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;192:40-49 pubmed publisher..Thus, these findings provide useful insights to help further understand the transcriptional response and detoxification ability of zebrafish larvae following acute exposure to mercury. ..