Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gsc
Alias: ZGSC, ik:tdsubc_1c10, ik:tdsubc_2g4, ik:tdsubc_2h11, xx:tdsubc_1c10, xx:tdsubc_2g4, xx:tdsubc_2h11, zgc:101595, homeobox protein goosecoid, etID102410.17, etID5964.17, zK49F1.1.2 (goosecoid)
- Nojima H, Shimizu T, Kim C, Yabe T, Bae Y, Muraoka O, et al. Genetic evidence for involvement of maternally derived Wnt canonical signaling in dorsal determination in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2004;121:371-86 pubmed..The tkk locus was mapped to chromosome 16. These data provide genetic evidence that the maternally derived canonical Wnt pathway upstream of beta-catenin is involved in dorsal axis formation in zebrafish. ..
- Trinh L, Meyer D, Stainier D. The Mix family homeodomain gene bonnie and clyde functions with other components of the Nodal signaling pathway to regulate neural patterning in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:4989-98 pubmed
- Tay H, Ng Y, Manser E. A vertebrate-specific Chp-PAK-PIX pathway maintains E-cadherin at adherens junctions during zebrafish epiboly. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10125 pubmed publisher..These events may mirror the requirement for PAK2 signaling essential for the proper formation of the blood-brain barrier. ..
- Seo J, Asaoka Y, Nagai Y, Hirayama J, Yamasaki T, Namae M, et al. Negative regulation of wnt11 expression by Jnk signaling during zebrafish gastrulation. J Cell Biochem. 2010;110:1022-37 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, non-canonical Wnt signaling may coordinate vertebrate CE movements by triggering Jnk activation that represses the expression of the CE-triggering ligand wnt11. ..
- Ramel M, Buckles G, Baker K, Lekven A. WNT8 and BMP2B co-regulate non-axial mesoderm patterning during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2005;287:237-48 pubmed
- Little S, Mullins M. Twisted gastrulation promotes BMP signaling in zebrafish dorsal-ventral axial patterning. Development. 2004;131:5825-35 pubmed..Our results support a model in which zebrafish Tsg1 promotes BMP signaling, and thus ventral cell fates, during DV axial patterning. ..
- Dixon Fox M, Bruce A. Short- and long-range functions of Goosecoid in zebrafish axis formation are independent of Chordin, Noggin 1 and Follistatin-like 1b. Development. 2009;136:1675-85 pubmed publisherThe organizer is essential for dorsal-ventral (DV) patterning in vertebrates. Goosecoid (Gsc), a transcriptional repressor found in the organizer, elicits partial secondary axes when expressed ventrally in Xenopus, similar to an ..
- Melby A, Warga R, Kimmel C. Specification of cell fates at the dorsal margin of the zebrafish gastrula. Development. 1996;122:2225-37 pubmed..Although forerunner cells are present in ntl mutants, Kupffer's vesicle never appears, which is correlated with the later severe disruption of tail development. ..
- Lin X, Duan X, Liang Y, Su Y, Wrighton K, Long J, et al. PPM1A functions as a Smad phosphatase to terminate TGFbeta signaling. Cell. 2006;125:915-28 pubmed..This work demonstrates that PPM1A/PP2Calpha, through dephosphorylation of Smad2/3, plays a critical role in terminating TGFbeta signaling. ..
- Babb S, Marrs J. E-cadherin regulates cell movements and tissue formation in early zebrafish embryos. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:263-77 pubmed..E-cadherin mRNA coinjection demonstrated the specificity of cdh1 MO-induced defects. Our experiments illustrate the importance of cdh1 in regulating morphogenetic cell movements and tissue formation in the early embryo. ..
- Connors S, Tucker J, Mullins M. Temporal and spatial action of tolloid (mini fin) and chordin to pattern tail tissues. Dev Biol. 2006;293:191-202 pubmed..Thus, fine modulation of BMP signaling levels through the negative and positive actions of Chordin and Tolloid, respectively, patterns tail tissues. ..
- Seiliez I, Thisse B, Thisse C. FoxA3 and goosecoid promote anterior neural fate through inhibition of Wnt8a activity before the onset of gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2006;290:152-63 pubmed..Altogether, foxA3 and goosecoid cooperate to promote formation of anterior neural tissue by protecting, as early as blastula stage, presumptive anterior neural cells from an irreversible caudalization by the posteriorizing factor Wnt8a. ..
- Miller C, Swartz M, Khuu P, Walker M, Eberhart J, Kimmel C. mef2ca is required in cranial neural crest to effect Endothelin1 signaling in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;308:144-57 pubmed..Proper expression of many edn1-dependent target genes including hand2, bapx1, and gsc, depends upon mef2ca function...
- Wilkins S, Yoong S, Verkade H, Mizoguchi T, Plowman S, Hancock J, et al. Mtx2 directs zebrafish morphogenetic movements during epiboly by regulating microfilament formation. Dev Biol. 2008;314:12-22 pubmed..In summary, we propose that Mtx2 acts within the YSL to regulate morphogenetic movements of both embryonic and extra-embryonic tissues, independently of cell fate specification. ..
- Nguyen V, Schmid B, Trout J, Connors S, Ekker M, Mullins M. Ventral and lateral regions of the zebrafish gastrula, including the neural crest progenitors, are established by a bmp2b/swirl pathway of genes. Dev Biol. 1998;199:93-110 pubmed..Based on the alterations in tissue-specific gene expression, we propose a model whereby swirl/bmp2b acts as a morphogen to specify different cell types along the dorsoventral axis. ..
- Keegan B, Meyer D, Yelon D. Organization of cardiac chamber progenitors in the zebrafish blastula. Development. 2004;131:3081-91 pubmed..Indeed, via fate mapping, we demonstrate that Nodal signaling promotes ventricular fate specification near the margin, thereby playing an important early role during myocardial patterning...
- Slusarski D, Yang Snyder J, Busa W, Moon R. Modulation of embryonic intracellular Ca2+ signaling by Wnt-5A. Dev Biol. 1997;182:114-20 pubmed..These results suggest that intercellular signaling by a subset of vertebrate Wnts involves modulation of a intracellular Ca2+ signaling pathway, which may arise from phosphatidylinositol cycle activity. ..
- Tian J, Andrée B, Jones C, Sampath K. The pro-domain of the zebrafish Nodal-related protein Cyclops regulates its signaling activities. Development. 2008;135:2649-58 pubmed publisher..Heterologous expression of mutant hNODAL increases expression of Nodal-response genes. Our studies reveal unexpected roles for the pro-domain of the Nodal factors and provide a possible mechanism for familial heterotaxia. ..
- Shimizu T, Yamanaka Y, Nojima H, Yabe T, Hibi M, Hirano T. A novel repressor-type homeobox gene, ved, is involved in dharma/bozozok-mediated dorsal organizer formation in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2002;118:125-38 pubmed..These results suggest that ved is a target for the repressor Dha/Boz. Ved functions redundantly with vox/vega1 and vent/vega2 to restrict the organizer domain. ..
- Lai S, Chan T, Lin M, Huang W, Lou S, Lee S. Diaphanous-related formin 2 and profilin I are required for gastrulation cell movements. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3439 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that zDia2 in conjunction with zPfn 1 are required for gastrulation cell movements in zebrafish. ..
- Ro H, Dawid I. Lnx-2b restricts gsc expression to the dorsal mesoderm by limiting Nodal and Bozozok activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;402:626-30 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of Boz expands gsc expression into the ventro-lateral marginal blastomeres where Nodal signaling is active, but is insufficient to ..
- Kumari P, Gilligan P, Lim S, Tran L, Winkler S, Philp R, et al. An essential role for maternal control of Nodal signaling. elife. 2013;2:e00683 pubmed publisher..Thus, Ybx1 prevents ectopic Nodal activity, revealing a new paradigm in the regulation of Nodal signaling, which is likely to be conserved. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00683.001. ..
- Yamanaka Y, Mizuno T, Sasai Y, Kishi M, Takeda H, Kim C, et al. A novel homeobox gene, dharma, can induce the organizer in a non-cell-autonomous manner. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2345-53 pubmed..Furthermore, dharma expressed in the YSL induced the organizer in a non-cell-autonomous manner. These results provided the first identification of a zygotic gene to be implicated in the formation of an organizer-inducing center. ..
- Hammerschmidt M, Pelegri F, Mullins M, Kane D, van Eeden F, Granato M, et al. dino and mercedes, two genes regulating dorsal development in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 1996;123:95-102 pubmed..Their function in the patterning of the ventrolateral mesoderm and the induction of the neuroectoderm is similar to the function of the Spemann organizer in the amphibian embryo. ..
- Feng Q, Zou X, Lu L, Li Y, Liu Y, Zhou J, et al. The stress-response gene redd1 regulates dorsoventral patterning by antagonizing Wnt/?-catenin activity in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52674 pubmed publisher..These findings have unraveled a novel role of Redd1 in early development by antagonizing Wnt/?-catenin signaling. ..
- Bruce A, Howley C, Zhou Y, Vickers S, Silver L, King M, et al. The maternally expressed zebrafish T-box gene eomesodermin regulates organizer formation. Development. 2003;130:5503-17 pubmed..Nodal-dependent and nieuwkoid/dharma (nwk/dhm) independent ectopic expression of the organizer markers goosecoid (gsc), chordin (chd) and floating head (flh) and in the formation of secondary axes...
- Bally Cuif L, Schatz W, Ho R. Characterization of the zebrafish Orb/CPEB-related RNA binding protein and localization of maternal components in the zebrafish oocyte. Mech Dev. 1998;77:31-47 pubmed..We show that this localization is independent of microtubules and microfilaments, and that the distribution of Zorba protein parallels that of its mRNA. ..
- Knight R, Nair S, Nelson S, Afshar A, Javidan Y, Geisler R, et al. lockjaw encodes a zebrafish tfap2a required for early neural crest development. Development. 2003;130:5755-68 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that low is required for early steps in neural crest development and suggest that tfap2a is essential for the survival of a subset of neural crest derivatives. ..
- Zhang Y, Shao M, Wang L, Liu Z, Gao M, Liu C, et al. Ethanol exposure affects cell movement during gastrulation and induces split axes in zebrafish embryos. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2010;28:283-8 pubmed publisher..more scattered expression pattern of chordin, eve1 and wnt11 at the early gastrula stage, and the discontinuous gsc positive cells during migration...
- Baker K, Ramel M, Lekven A. A direct role for Wnt8 in ventrolateral mesoderm patterning. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2828-36 pubmed publisher..Thus, Wnt8 and BMP signaling have independent roles during vertebrate ventrolateral mesoderm development that can be identified through loss-of-function analysis. ..
- Krens S, He S, Lamers G, Meijer A, Bakkers J, Schmidt T, et al. Distinct functions for ERK1 and ERK2 in cell migration processes during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2008;319:370-83 pubmed publisher..Together, our data define distinct roles for ERK1 and ERK2 in developmental cell migration processes during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Meno C, Gritsman K, Ohishi S, Ohfuji Y, Heckscher E, Mochida K, et al. Mouse Lefty2 and zebrafish antivin are feedback inhibitors of nodal signaling during vertebrate gastrulation. Mol Cell. 1999;4:287-98 pubmed..Expression of antivin is dependent on Nodal signaling, revealing a feedback loop wherein Nodal signals induce their antagonists Lefty2 and Antivin to restrict Nodal signaling during gastrulation. ..
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Muraoka O, Hibi M. Interaction of Wnt and caudal-related genes in zebrafish posterior body formation. Dev Biol. 2005;279:125-41 pubmed..These data indicate that the cdx genes mediate Wnt signaling and play essential roles in the morphogenesis of the posterior body in zebrafish. ..
- van Eekelen M, Runtuwene V, Overvoorde J, den Hertog J. RPTPalpha and PTPepsilon signaling via Fyn/Yes and RhoA is essential for zebrafish convergence and extension cell movements during gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2010;340:626-39 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that RPTPalpha and PTPepsilon are essential for C&E movements in a signaling pathway parallel to non-canonical Wnts and upstream of Fyn, Yes and RhoA. ..
- Kelly G, Greenstein P, Erezyilmaz D, Moon R. Zebrafish wnt8 and wnt8b share a common activity but are involved in distinct developmental pathways. Development. 1995;121:1787-99 pubmed..The wnt8 transcripts at 50% epiboly are spatially restricted to those cells at the blastoderm margin, overlying gsc-expressing cells in the axial hypoblast...
- Coyle R, Latimer A, Jessen J. Membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase regulates cell migration during zebrafish gastrulation: evidence for an interaction with non-canonical Wnt signaling. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:2150-62 pubmed publisher..Together, our results support the notion that pathways regulating pericellular proteolysis and cell polarity converge to promote efficient cell migration. ..
- Zhu S, Liu L, Korzh V, Gong Z, Low B. RhoA acts downstream of Wnt5 and Wnt11 to regulate convergence and extension movements by involving effectors Rho kinase and Diaphanous: use of zebrafish as an in vivo model for GTPase signaling. Cell Signal. 2006;18:359-72 pubmed..These findings also support the versatility of the zebrafish as a model to further investigate the roles of various classes of small GTPases in regulating cell dynamics in vivo. ..
- Erter C, Solnica Krezel L, Wright C. Zebrafish nodal-related 2 encodes an early mesendodermal inducer signaling from the extraembryonic yolk syncytial layer. Dev Biol. 1998;204:361-72 pubmed..exclusively in the YSL, a region implicated in endogenous mesodermal induction, causes broadened or duplicated gsc expression in the overlying blastoderm...
- Warga R, Kane D. One-eyed pinhead regulates cell motility independent of Squint/Cyclops signaling. Dev Biol. 2003;261:391-411 pubmed..We conclude that, in addition to a role in Nodal signaling, One-eyed pinhead is required for aspects of cell movement, possibly by regulating cell adhesion. ..
- Flowers G, Topczewska J, Topczewski J. A zebrafish Notum homolog specifically blocks the Wnt/?-catenin signaling pathway. Development. 2012;139:2416-25 pubmed publisher..Notum 1a does not interact with Glypican 4, an essential component of the Wnt/planar cell polarity (PCP) pathway. Our results suggest a surprising specific role of Notum in the developing vertebrate embryo. ..
- Liu X, Xiong C, Jia S, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Wang Q, et al. Araf kinase antagonizes Nodal-Smad2 activity in mesendoderm development by directly phosphorylating the Smad2 linker region. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1728 pubmed publisher..Our findings open avenues for investigating the potential significance of Raf regulation of transforming growth factor ? signalling in versatile biological and pathological processes in the future. ..
- Carreira Barbosa F, Kajita M, Kajita M, Morel V, Wada H, Okamoto H, et al. Flamingo regulates epiboly and convergence/extension movements through cell cohesive and signalling functions during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2009;136:383-92 pubmed publisher..Fmi/Celsr therefore has a dual role in mediating two separate morphogenetic movements through its roles in mediating cell cohesion and Wnt/PCP signalling during zebrafish gastrulation. ..
- Holloway B, Gomez de la Torre Canny S, Ye Y, Slusarski D, Freisinger C, Dosch R, et al. A novel role for MAPKAPK2 in morphogenesis during zebrafish development. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000413 pubmed publisher..We postulate that a p38 MAPKAPK2 kinase cascade modulates the activity of F-actin at the yolk cell margin circumference allowing the gradual closure of the blastopore as epiboly progresses. ..
- Lyman Gingerich J, Westfall T, Slusarski D, Pelegri F. hecate, a zebrafish maternal effect gene, affects dorsal organizer induction and intracellular calcium transient frequency. Dev Biol. 2005;286:427-39 pubmed
- McFarland K, Warga R, Kane D. Genetic locus half baked is necessary for morphogenesis of the ectoderm. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:390-406 pubmed
- Griffin K, Patient R, Holder N. Analysis of FGF function in normal and no tail zebrafish embryos reveals separate mechanisms for formation of the trunk and the tail. Development. 1995;121:2983-94 pubmed..Taken together these data suggest that the germ ring acts as a posteriorising centre during AP patterning, mediated by FGF activity in this tissue. ..
- Hagos E, Dougan S. Time-dependent patterning of the mesoderm and endoderm by Nodal signals in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:22 pubmed
- Imai Y, Gates M, Melby A, Kimelman D, Schier A, Talbot W. The homeobox genes vox and vent are redundant repressors of dorsal fates in zebrafish. Development. 2001;128:2407-20 pubmed
- Thisse C, Thisse B. Antivin, a novel and divergent member of the TGFbeta superfamily, negatively regulates mesoderm induction. Development. 1999;126:229-40 pubmed..On the basis of its expression and activity, we propose that Antivin normally functions as a competitive inhibitor of Activin to limit mesoderm induction in the early embryo. ..
- Lunde K, Belting H, Driever W. Zebrafish pou5f1/pou2, homolog of mammalian Oct4, functions in the endoderm specification cascade. Curr Biol. 2004;14:48-55 pubmed..We propose that pou5f1 plays an activating role in zebrafish endodermal development, where it maintains sox32 expression during gastrulation and acts with sox32 to induce sox17 expression in endodermal precursor cells. ..
- Esterberg R, Delalande J, Fritz A. Tailbud-derived Bmp4 drives proliferation and inhibits maturation of zebrafish chordamesoderm. Development. 2008;135:3891-901 pubmed publisher..Our results illustrate a role for Bmp4 in the proliferation and timely differentiation of axial tissue after DV axis specification. ..
- Joore J, Fasciana C, Speksnijder J, Kruijer W, Destree O, van den Eijnden van Raaij A, et al. Regulation of the zebrafish goosecoid promoter by mesoderm inducing factors and Xwnt1. Mech Dev. 1996;55:3-18 pubmed..The distal element is to our knowledge the first enhancer element identified that mediates the induction of a mesodermal gene by activin. ..
- Stachel S, Grunwald D, Myers P. Lithium perturbation and goosecoid expression identify a dorsal specification pathway in the pregastrula zebrafish. Development. 1993;117:1261-74 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the zebrafish dorsal axis is signaled by a pathway initiated in the cleavage-stage embryo. Furthermore, they provide novel insights into anterior morphogenesis. ..
- Talbot W, Trevarrow B, Halpern M, Melby A, Farr G, Postlethwait J, et al. A homeobox gene essential for zebrafish notochord development. Nature. 1995;378:150-7 pubmed..We show that floating head is the zebrafish homologue of Xnot, a homeobox gene expressed in the amphibian organizer and notochord. We propose that flh regulates notochord precursor cell fate. ..
- Bennett J, Stickney H, Choi W, Ciruna B, Talbot W, Schier A. Maternal nodal and zebrafish embryogenesis. Nature. 2007;450:E1-2; discussion E2-4 pubmed..Here we test their proposal and show that the maternal activities of sqt and the related Nodal gene cyclops (cyc) are not required for dorsoventral patterning. ..
- Van Raay T, Coffey R, Solnica Krezel L. Zebrafish Naked1 and Naked2 antagonize both canonical and non-canonical Wnt signaling. Dev Biol. 2007;309:151-68 pubmed..Finally, reducing Nkd1 function in slb mutants suppressed the axial mesendoderm C&E defect. These data indicate that zebrafish Nkd1 and Nkd2 function to limit both canonical and non-canonical Wnt signaling. ..
- Mullins M, Hammerschmidt M, Kane D, Odenthal J, Brand M, van Eeden F, et al. Genes establishing dorsoventral pattern formation in the zebrafish embryo: the ventral specifying genes. Development. 1996;123:81-93 pubmed..This pathway provides ventral positional information, counteracting the dorsalizing instructions of the organizer, which is localized in the dorsal shield. ..
- Hsu H, Liang M, Chen C, Chung B. Pregnenolone stabilizes microtubules and promotes zebrafish embryonic cell movement. Nature. 2006;439:480-3 pubmed..Our results indicate that pregnenolone preserves microtubule abundance and promotes cell movement during epiboly. ..
- Sirotkin H, Dougan S, Schier A, Talbot W. bozozok and squint act in parallel to specify dorsal mesoderm and anterior neuroectoderm in zebrafish. Development. 2000;127:2583-92 pubmed..Our results support a model in which boz and sqt act in parallel to induce dorsalizing BMP-antagonists and to counteract the repressive function of cyc in neural patterning. ..
- Jia S, Ren Z, Li X, Zheng Y, Meng A. smad2 and smad3 are required for mesendoderm induction by transforming growth factor-beta/nodal signals in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:2418-26 pubmed..Thus, our data reveal that Nodal signaling and mesendoderm induction depend on Smad2/3 and suggest that transforming growth factor-beta signals other than Nodal also contribute to Smad2/3 signaling and embryonic patterning. ..
- Lim S, Kumari P, Gilligan P, Quach H, Mathavan S, Sampath K. Dorsal activity of maternal squint is mediated by a non-coding function of the RNA. Development. 2012;139:2903-15 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify new non-coding functions for the Nodal genes and support a model wherein sqt RNA acts as a scaffold to bind and deliver/sequester maternal factors to future embryonic dorsal. ..
- Leskow F, Holloway B, Wang H, Mullins M, Kazanietz M. The zebrafish homologue of mammalian chimerin Rac-GAPs is implicated in epiboly progression during development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:5373-8 pubmed..Our results reveal a crucial role for chn1 in early development and implicate Rac as a key regulator of morphogenetic movements during zebrafish epiboly. ..
- Krauss S, Concordet J, Ingham P. A functionally conserved homolog of the Drosophila segment polarity gene hh is expressed in tissues with polarizing activity in zebrafish embryos. Cell. 1993;75:1431-44 pubmed..By expressing shh in transgenic Drosophila embryos, we also demonstrate a strong functional conservation between the fish and fly hh genes. ..
- Bellipanni G, Varga M, Maegawa S, Imai Y, Kelly C, Myers A, et al. Essential and opposing roles of zebrafish beta-catenins in the formation of dorsal axial structures and neurectoderm. Development. 2006;133:1299-309 pubmed..We propose that the early, dorsal-promoting function of beta-catenin-2 is essential to counteract a later, dorsal- and neurectoderm-repressing function that is shared by both beta-catenin genes...
- Zhang L, Zhou H, Su Y, Sun Z, Zhang H, Zhang L, et al. Zebrafish Dpr2 inhibits mesoderm induction by promoting degradation of nodal receptors. Science. 2004;306:114-7 pubmed..Dpr2 is localized in late endosomes, binds to the TGFbeta receptors ALK5 and ALK4, and accelerates lysosomal degradation of these receptors. ..
- Kramer C, Mayr T, Nowak M, Schumacher J, Runke G, Bauer H, et al. Maternally supplied Smad5 is required for ventral specification in zebrafish embryos prior to zygotic Bmp signaling. Dev Biol. 2002;250:263-79 pubmed..This indicates that maternally supplied Smad5 is already required to mediate ventral specification prior to zygotic Bmp2/7 signaling to establish the initial dorsoventral asymmetry. ..
- Wu S, Shin J, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Chemokine GPCR signaling inhibits ?-catenin during zebrafish axis formation. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001403 pubmed publisher..Our study delineates a novel negative, Gsk3?-independent control mechanism of ?-catenin and implicates Ccr7 as a long-hypothesized GPCR regulating vertebrate axis formation. ..
- Reim G, Mizoguchi T, Stainier D, Kikuchi Y, Brand M. The POU domain protein spg (pou2/Oct4) is essential for endoderm formation in cooperation with the HMG domain protein casanova. Dev Cell. 2004;6:91-101 pubmed..The joint control of endoderm formation by spg and cas suggests that the endodermal germlayer may be a tissue unit with distinct genetic control, thus adding genetic support to the germlayer concept in metazoan development. ..
- Li Y, Allende M, Finkelstein R, Weinberg E. Expression of two zebrafish orthodenticle-related genes in the embryonic brain. Mech Dev. 1994;48:229-44 pubmed..However, there are a number of interesting differences between the forebrain and midbrain regions which express the genes in the two species. ..
- Xie J, Fisher S. Twisted gastrulation enhances BMP signaling through chordin dependent and independent mechanisms. Development. 2005;132:383-91 pubmed
- Koshida S, Shinya M, Mizuno T, Kuroiwa A, Takeda H. Initial anteroposterior pattern of the zebrafish central nervous system is determined by differential competence of the epiblast. Development. 1998;125:1957-66 pubmed..However, the requirement for FGF signalling is indirect in that cells with compromised ability to respond to FGF can still respond to anteroposterior positional information. ..
- Nikaido M, Tada M, Saji T, Ueno N. Conservation of BMP signaling in zebrafish mesoderm patterning. Mech Dev. 1997;61:75-88 pubmed..Taken together, one may conclude that the developmental mechanisms for mesodermal patterning regulated by BMPs are evolutionarily conserved between amphibians and teleosts. ..
- Aanstad P, Whitaker M. Predictability of dorso-ventral asymmetry in the cleavage stage zebrafish embryo: an analysis using lithium sensitivity as a dorso-ventral marker. Mech Dev. 1999;88:33-41 pubmed..Consequently, the dorso-ventral axis corresponds to the long axis of the embryo. Because the effect of lithium treatment is short-lived, the dorso-ventral axis must be specified in zebrafish already at the 32 cell stage. ..
- Hammerschmidt M, Serbedzija G, McMahon A. Genetic analysis of dorsoventral pattern formation in the zebrafish: requirement of a BMP-like ventralizing activity and its dorsal repressor. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2452-61 pubmed..Together, these results provide genetic evidence in support of a mechanism of early dorsoventral patterning that is conserved among vertebrate and invertebrate embryos. ..
- Yoon C, Kawakami K, Hopkins N. Zebrafish vasa homologue RNA is localized to the cleavage planes of 2- and 4-cell-stage embryos and is expressed in the primordial germ cells. Development. 1997;124:3157-65 pubmed..Furthermore, they provide the basis for further studies on this novel RNA localization pattern and on germ-line development in general. ..
- Köppen M, Fernández B, Carvalho L, Jacinto A, Heisenberg C. Coordinated cell-shape changes control epithelial movement in zebrafish and Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:2671-81 pubmed..Thus, this study has characterized a conserved mechanism underlying coordinated cell-shape changes during epithelial morphogenesis. ..
- Solnica Krezel L, Stemple D, Mountcastle Shah E, Rangini Z, Neuhauss S, Malicki J, et al. Mutations affecting cell fates and cellular rearrangements during gastrulation in zebrafish. Development. 1996;123:67-80 pubmed..These mutations provide an approach to understanding the genetic control of gastrulation in vertebrates. ..
- Fürthauer M, Thisse C, Thisse B. A role for FGF-8 in the dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish gastrula. Development. 1997;124:4253-64 pubmed..We conclude that FGF-8 is involved in defining dorsoventral identity and is an important organizing factor responsible for specification of mesodermal and ectodermal dorsolateral territories of the zebrafish gastrula. ..
- McKendry R, Harland R, Stachel S. Activin-induced factors maintain goosecoid transcription through a paired homeodomain binding site. Dev Biol. 1998;204:172-86 pubmed..Furthermore, this zygotic protein is likely to contain a paired class homeodomain since a consensus binding site for such proteins is present within the goosecoid activin element and is essential for its function. ..
- Schwend T, Loucks E, Snyder D, Ahlgren S. Requirement of Npc1 and availability of cholesterol for early embryonic cell movements in zebrafish. J Lipid Res. 2011;52:1328-44 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies show that npc1 is required early for proper cell movement and cholesterol localization and later for cell survival. ..
- Varga M, Maegawa S, Bellipanni G, Weinberg E. Chordin expression, mediated by Nodal and FGF signaling, is restricted by redundant function of two beta-catenins in the zebrafish embryo. Mech Dev. 2007;124:775-91 pubmed
- Yamashita S, Miyagi C, Fukada T, Kagara N, Che Y, Hirano T. Zinc transporter LIVI controls epithelial-mesenchymal transition in zebrafish gastrula organizer. Nature. 2004;429:298-302 pubmed..Furthermore, we demonstrate that LIV1 is essential for the nuclear localization of zinc-finger protein Snail, a master regulator of EMT. These results establish a molecular link between STAT3, LIV1 and Snail in EMT. ..
- Ober E, Schulte Merker S. Signals from the yolk cell induce mesoderm, neuroectoderm, the trunk organizer, and the notochord in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 1999;215:167-81 pubmed..In addition, these experiments show that the establishment of the anteroposterior axis is independent of the dorsoventral axis. ..
- Fan X, Hagos E, Xu B, Sias C, Kawakami K, Burdine R, et al. Nodal signals mediate interactions between the extra-embryonic and embryonic tissues in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:363-78 pubmed..Our results demonstrate a high degree of functional conservation between the extra-embryonic tissues of mouse and zebrafish. ..