Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gli2a
Description: GLI family zinc finger 2a
Alias: fc85b05, gli2, wu:fc85b05, yot, you-too, zinc finger protein GLI2, GLI-Kruppel family member GLI2a, etID12892.9, you too
- Chen J, Haffter P, Odenthal J, Vogelsang E, Brand M, van Eeden F, et al. Mutations affecting the cardiovascular system and other internal organs in zebrafish. Development. 1996;123:293-302 pubmed..The mutations presented here could serve as an entry point to the establishment of a genetic hierarchy underlying organogenesis. ..
- Vanderlaan G, Tyurina O, Karlstrom R, Chandrasekhar A. Gli function is essential for motor neuron induction in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;282:550-70 pubmed..gene expression, we examined these processes in you-too (yot) mutants, which encode dominant repressor forms of Gli2 (Gli2(DR)), and following morpholino-mediated knockdown of gli1, gli2, and gli3 function...
- Lunt S, Haynes T, Perkins B. Zebrafish ift57, ift88, and ift172 intraflagellar transport mutants disrupt cilia but do not affect hedgehog signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1744-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data indicate the requirement for cilia in the Hh signal transduction pathway may not represent a universal mechanism in vertebrates. ..
- van Eeden F, Granato M, Schach U, Brand M, Furutani Seiki M, Haffter P, et al. Mutations affecting somite formation and patterning in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development. 1996;123:153-64 pubmed
- Wolff C, Roy S, Ingham P. Multiple muscle cell identities induced by distinct levels and timing of hedgehog activity in the zebrafish embryo. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1169-81 pubmed..Finally, we show that the Gli1 and Gli2 transcription factors mediate most of the response of myotomal cells to Hh...
- Schafer M, Kinzel D, Winkler C. Discontinuous organization and specification of the lateral floor plate in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;301:117-29 pubmed..We conclude that different levels of HH and Nkx2.2 activities are responsible for the alternating appearance of LFP and p3 neuronal progenitor cells in the zebrafish ventral neural tube. ..
- Kim H, Richardson J, van Eeden F, Ingham P. Gli2a protein localization reveals a role for Iguana/DZIP1 in primary ciliogenesis and a dependence of Hedgehog signal transduction on primary cilia in the zebrafish. BMC Biol. 2010;8:65 pubmed publisher..Here, using a functional Gli2-GFP fusion protein, we show that, as in mammals, the Gli2 transcription factor localizes to the primary cilia of ..
- Hammond C, Schulte Merker S. Two populations of endochondral osteoblasts with differential sensitivity to Hedgehog signalling. Development. 2009;136:3991-4000 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we demonstrate that the timing of first osteoclast activity positively correlates to Hh levels in both endochondral and dermal bone. ..
- Stickney H, Barresi M, Devoto S. Somite development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2000;219:287-303 pubmed..We show directly, for the first time, that muscle cell and sclerotome migrations occur at the same time. We end with a look at the many questions about somitogenesis that are still unanswered. ..
- Ben J, Elworthy S, Ng A, van Eeden F, Ingham P. Targeted mutation of the talpid3 gene in zebrafish reveals its conserved requirement for ciliogenesis and Hedgehog signalling across the vertebrates. Development. 2011;138:4969-78 pubmed publisher..2 expression in the neural tube, symmetric pectoral fins, cyclopic eyes and an ectopic lens. GFP-tagged Gli2a localised to the basal bodies in the absence of the primary cilia and western blot analysis showed that Gli2a ..
- Lewis K, Currie P, Roy S, Schauerte H, Haffter P, Ingham P. Control of muscle cell-type specification in the zebrafish embryo by Hedgehog signalling. Dev Biol. 1999;216:469-80 pubmed
- Jin S, Herzog W, Santoro M, Mitchell T, Frantsve J, Jungblut B, et al. A transgene-assisted genetic screen identifies essential regulators of vascular development in vertebrate embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;307:29-42 pubmed..The analysis of the newly defined loci should lead to a greater understanding of vascular development and possibly provide new drug targets to treat the numerous pathologies associated with dysregulated blood vessel growth. ..
- Hollway G, Maule J, Gautier P, Evans T, Keenan D, Lohs C, et al. Scube2 mediates Hedgehog signalling in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 2006;294:104-18 pubmed..In support of this model we show that scube2 has homology to cubilin, which encodes an endocytic receptor involved in protein trafficking suggesting a possible mode of function for Scube2 during HH signal transduction. ..
- Knight R, Mebus K, Roehl H. Mandibular arch muscle identity is regulated by a conserved molecular process during vertebrate development. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2008;310:355-69 pubmed publisher..These data imply that dorsal mandibular arch muscle identity in fish, chick and mouse is specified by a highly conserved molecular process despite differing functions of these muscles in different lineages. ..
- Minhas R, Pauls S, Ali S, Doglio L, Khan M, Elgar G, et al. Cis-regulatory control of human GLI2 expression in the developing neural tube and limb bud. Dev Dyn. 2015;244:681-92 pubmed publisherb>GLI2, a zinc finger transcription factor, mediates Sonic hedgehog signaling, a critical pathway in vertebrate embryogenesis...
- Cui S, Leyva Vega M, Tsai E, Eauclaire S, Glessner J, Hakonarson H, et al. Evidence from human and zebrafish that GPC1 is a biliary atresia susceptibility gene. Gastroenterology. 2013;144:1107-1115.e3 pubmed publisher..Based on genetic analysis of patients with BA and zebrafish, GPC1 appears to be a BA susceptibility gene. These findings also support a role for Hedgehog signaling in the pathogenesis of BA. ..
- Zhou Z, Yao X, Li S, Xiong Y, Dong X, Zhao Y, et al. Deubiquitination of Ci/Gli by Usp7/HAUSP Regulates Hedgehog Signaling. Dev Cell. 2015;34:58-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a conserved mechanism by which Ci/Gli is stabilized by a deubiquitination enzyme and identify Usp7/HUASP as a critical regulator of Hh signaling and potential therapeutic target for Hh-related cancers. ..
- Daggett D, Domingo C, Currie P, Amacher S. Control of morphogenetic cell movements in the early zebrafish myotome. Dev Biol. 2007;309:169-79 pubmed
- Ninkovic J, Stigloher C, Lillesaar C, Bally Cuif L. Gsk3beta/PKA and Gli1 regulate the maintenance of neural progenitors at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary in concert with E(Spl) factor activity. Development. 2008;135:3137-48 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest a model in which the modulation of E(Spl) and Gsk3beta/PKA activities by Gli1 underlies the dynamic properties of IZ maintenance and recruitment. ..
- Wang J, Cao J, Dickson A, Poss K. Epicardial regeneration is guided by cardiac outflow tract and Hedgehog signalling. Nature. 2015;522:226-230 pubmed publisher..These findings extend our understanding of tissue interactions during regeneration and have implications for mobilizing epicardial cells for therapeutic heart repair. ..
- Frisca F, Colquhoun D, Goldshmit Y, Ankö M, Pebay A, Kaslin J. Role of ectonucleotide pyrophosphatase/phosphodiesterase 2 in the midline axis formation of zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:37678 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study demonstrates an essential role of enpp2/LPA signalling during early embryogenesis. ..
- Wiweger M, Zhao Z, van Merkesteyn R, Roehl H, Hogendoorn P. HSPG-deficient zebrafish uncovers dental aspect of multiple osteochondromas. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29734 pubmed publisher..The presence of the malformed and/or displaced teeth with abnormal enamel was declared by half of the respondents indicating that MO might indeed be also associated with dental problems. ..
- Parkin C, Allen C, Ingham P. Hedgehog signalling is required for cloacal development in the zebrafish embryo. Int J Dev Biol. 2009;53:45-57 pubmed publisher..These studies establish the zebrafish as a model for ARMs, and for the elucidation of other pathways involved in hindgut developmental processes. ..
- Du S, Dienhart M. Gli2 mediation of hedgehog signals in slow muscle induction in zebrafish. Differentiation. 2001;67:84-91 pubmed..We report here the characterization of a zebrafish Gli2 expression in slow and fast muscle cells and the study of the roles of Hedgehogs and Gli2 in zebrafish muscle ..
- Paulus J, Willer G, Willer J, Gregg R, Halloran M. Muscle contractions guide rohon-beard peripheral sensory axons. J Neurosci. 2009;29:13190-201 pubmed publisher..This work suggests that the mechanical forces generated by muscle contractions are necessary for proper sensory axon pathfinding in vivo. ..
- Masai I, Yamaguchi M, Tonou Fujimori N, Komori A, Okamoto H. The hedgehog-PKA pathway regulates two distinct steps of the differentiation of retinal ganglion cells: the cell-cycle exit of retinoblasts and their neuronal maturation. Development. 2005;132:1539-53 pubmed..This dual requirement of Hh signalling in RGC differentiation implies that the regulation of a neurogenic wave is more complex in the zebrafish retina than in the Drosophila eye. ..
- Tang V, COFER Z, Cui S, Sapp V, Loomes K, Matthews R. Loss of a Candidate Biliary Atresia Susceptibility Gene, add3a, Causes Biliary Developmental Defects in Zebrafish. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2016;63:524-530 pubmed..Our results support previous studies identifying ADD3 as a putative genetic risk factor for BA susceptibility. Our results also provide evidence that add3a may be affecting the Hh pathway, an important factor in BA pathogenesis. ..
- Mich J, Blaser H, Thomas N, Firestone A, Yelon D, Raz E, et al. Germ cell migration in zebrafish is cyclopamine-sensitive but Smoothened-independent. Dev Biol. 2009;328:342-54 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Hh signaling is not required for zebrafish PGC migration, and underscore the importance of regulated cell-cell adhesion for cell migration in vivo. ..
- Guner B, Ozacar A, Thomas J, Karlstrom R. Graded hedgehog and fibroblast growth factor signaling independently regulate pituitary cell fates and help establish the pars distalis and pars intermedia of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Endocrinology. 2008;149:4435-51 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that there are distinct origins and signaling requirements for the PD and PI. ..
- Ju B, Chen W, Spitsbergen J, Lu J, Vogel P, Peters J, et al. Activation of Sonic hedgehog signaling in neural progenitor cells promotes glioma development in the zebrafish optic pathway. Oncogenesis. 2014;3:e96 pubmed publisher..expression of genes involved in the cell cycle, cancer signaling and Shh downstream targets ptc1, gli1 and gli2a. Tumors also exhibited specific gene signatures characteristic of radial glia and progenitor cells as ..
- Wang X, Zhao Z, Müller J, Iyu A, Khng A, Guccione E, et al. Targeted inactivation and identification of targets of the Gli2a transcription factor in the zebrafish. Biol Open. 2013;2:1203-13 pubmed publisher..Using a null allele of the gli2a gene induced by targeted mutagenesis, we show that Gli2a is completely dispensable in the fish but acts ..
- diIorio P, Moss J, Sbrogna J, Karlstrom R, Moss L. Sonic hedgehog is required early in pancreatic islet development. Dev Biol. 2002;244:75-84 pubmed..The early action of Shh may be part of a more general process allowing neuroendocrine cells to originate in nonneuroectodermally derived tissues. ..
- Schwend T, Loucks E, Ahlgren S. Visualization of Gli activity in craniofacial tissues of hedgehog-pathway reporter transgenic zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14396 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate the Tg(Gli-d:mCherry) fish are a highly useful tool for studying Hh-signaling dependent processes during embryogenesis and larval stages. ..
- Stadler J, Shkumatava A, Neumann C. The role of hedgehog signaling in the development of the zebrafish visual system. Dev Neurosci. 2004;26:346-51 pubmed
- Teraoka H, Dong W, Okuhara Y, Iwasa H, Shindo A, Hill A, et al. Impairment of lower jaw growth in developing zebrafish exposed to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin and reduced hedgehog expression. Aquat Toxicol. 2006;78:103-13 pubmed..their receptors, patched1 (ptc1) and patched2 (ptc2), as well as the downstream transcription factors, gli1 and gli2a. Loss of Hh signaling in mutants (sonic you) and larvae treated with a Hh inhibitor (cyclopamine), resulted in ..
- Hirsinger E, Stellabotte F, Devoto S, Westerfield M. Hedgehog signaling is required for commitment but not initial induction of slow muscle precursors. Dev Biol. 2004;275:143-57 pubmed
- Mich J, Chen J. Hedgehog and retinoic acid signaling cooperate to promote motoneurogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:5113-9 pubmed publisher..We also provide evidence that RA pathway activation can modulate Gli function in a Hh ligand-independent manner. These findings support a model in which Hh and RA signaling cooperate to promote PMN cell fates in zebrafish. ..
- Romano A, Kottra G, Barca A, Tiso N, Maffia M, Argenton F, et al. High-affinity peptide transporter PEPT2 (SLC15A2) of the zebrafish Danio rerio: functional properties, genomic organization, and expression analysis. Physiol Genomics. 2006;24:207-17 pubmed..Moreover, it can represent a useful marker to screen mutations that affect choroid plexus and inner ear development. ..
- Crippa S, Nemir M, Ounzain S, Ibberson M, Berthonneche C, Sarre A, et al. Comparative transcriptome profiling of the injured zebrafish and mouse hearts identifies miRNA-dependent repair pathways. Cardiovasc Res. 2016;110:73-84 pubmed publisher..This novel strategy identifies a series of miRNAs and associated pathways, in particular miR-26a, which represent attractive therapeutic targets for inducing repair in the injured heart. ..
- Sbrogna J, Barresi M, Karlstrom R. Multiple roles for Hedgehog signaling in zebrafish pituitary development. Dev Biol. 2003;254:19-35 pubmed..These defects, ranging from a complete loss of the adenohypophysis (smu/smo and yot/gli2 mutants) to more subtle patterning defects (dtr/gli1 mutants), may correlate to human Hh signaling mutant ..
- Wallace K, Pack M. Unique and conserved aspects of gut development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2003;255:12-29 pubmed
- Lobbardi R, Lambert G, Zhao J, Geisler R, Kim H, Rosa F. Fine-tuning of Hh signaling by the RNA-binding protein Quaking to control muscle development. Development. 2011;138:1783-94 pubmed publisher..3'UTRs of known Hh signaling component mRNAs for the Quaking response element and found the transcription factor Gli2a, a known regulator of muscle fate development...
- Gates K, Mentzer L, Karlstrom R, Sirotkin H. The transcriptional repressor REST/NRSF modulates hedgehog signaling. Dev Biol. 2010;340:293-305 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we present evidence implicating the bifunctional, Hh signaling component Gli2a as key to the Rest modulation of the Hh response...
- Whitlock K, Wolf C, Boyce M. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) cells arise from cranial neural crest and adenohypophyseal regions of the neural plate in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Dev Biol. 2003;257:140-52 pubmed..Thus, the GnRH cells arise from tissue closely associated with the developing olfactory placode, and their different developmental origins reflect their different functional roles in the adult animal. ..
- Nakamura T, Klomp J, Pieretti J, Schneider I, Gehrke A, Shubin N. Molecular mechanisms underlying the exceptional adaptations of batoid fins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:15940-5 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data point to both highly derived and deeply ancestral patterns of gene expression in skate pectoral fins, shedding light on the molecular mechanisms behind the evolution of novel fin morphologies. ..
- Maurya A, Ben J, Zhao Z, Lee R, Niah W, Ng A, et al. Positive and negative regulation of Gli activity by Kif7 in the zebrafish embryo. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003955 pubmed publisher..We show that Kif7 interacts with both Gli1 and Gli2a and suggest that it functions to sequester Gli proteins in the cytoplasm, in a manner analogous to the regulation ..
- Zeller J, Schneider V, Malayaman S, Higashijima S, Okamoto H, Gui J, et al. Migration of zebrafish spinal motor nerves into the periphery requires multiple myotome-derived cues. Dev Biol. 2002;252:241-56 pubmed..We show that the absence of myotomal adaxial cells in you-too/gli2 embryos severely impairs secondary motor axonal pathfinding, including their ability to project into the somites...
- Kanungo J, Cuevas E, Ali S, Paule M. Ketamine induces motor neuron toxicity and alters neurogenic and proneural gene expression in zebrafish. J Appl Toxicol. 2013;33:410-7 pubmed publisher..Published 2011. This article is a US Government work and is in the public domain in the USA. ..
- Chalasani K, Brewster R. N-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion restricts cell proliferation in the dorsal neural tube. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1505-15 pubmed publisher..In addition, these findings are the first to demonstrate a requirement for cadherins in synchronizing cell-cycle exit and differentiation and a reciprocal interaction between AJs and Hh signaling. ..
- Feng X, Adiarte E, Devoto S. Hedgehog acts directly on the zebrafish dermomyotome to promote myogenic differentiation. Dev Biol. 2006;300:736-46 pubmed..We propose that Hedgehog signaling acts at multiple times on different lineages, through different downstream pathways, to promote myogenic differentiation. ..
- Ungos J, Karlstrom R, Raible D. Hedgehog signaling is directly required for the development of zebrafish dorsal root ganglia neurons. Development. 2003;130:5351-62 pubmed..These results suggest that Hh signaling may normally promote DRG development by regulating expression of ngn1 in DRG precursors. ..
- Yeyati P, Bancewicz R, Maule J, van Heyningen V. Hsp90 selectively modulates phenotype in vertebrate development. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e43 pubmed
- Ingham P, Kim H. Hedgehog signalling and the specification of muscle cell identity in the zebrafish embryo. Exp Cell Res. 2005;306:336-42 pubmed..Distinct muscle cell identities are induced by varying levels of signalling activity. The SET domain transcription factor, Blimp1, is a key target of Hedgehog signalling in this process. ..
- Gongal P, March L, Holly V, Pillay L, Berry Wynne K, Kagechika H, et al. Hmx4 regulates Sonic hedgehog signaling through control of retinoic acid synthesis during forebrain patterning. Dev Biol. 2011;355:55-64 pubmed publisher..We propose that Hmx4 is a critical regulator of retinoic acid synthesis in a developing embryo, and that this regulation is essential for controlling Shh signaling and forebrain development. ..
- Ningappa M, So J, Glessner J, Ashokkumar C, Ranganathan S, Min J, et al. The Role of ARF6 in Biliary Atresia. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0138381 pubmed publisher..3 susceptibility locus encompassing the ARF6 gene. arf6 knockdown in zebrafish implicates early biliary dysgenesis as a basis for BA, and also suggests a role for EGFR signaling in BA pathogenesis. ..
- Majumdar A, Drummond I. The zebrafish floating head mutant demonstrates podocytes play an important role in directing glomerular differentiation. Dev Biol. 2000;222:147-57 pubmed..The midline mutants floating head (flh), sonic you (syu), and you-too (yot) provide the opportunity to study glomerular differentiation in the absence of the notochord and vascularization ..
- Woods I, Talbot W. The you gene encodes an EGF-CUB protein essential for Hedgehog signaling in zebrafish. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e66 pubmed..Our positional cloning and functional studies demonstrate that You is a novel extracellular component of the Hedgehog pathway in vertebrates. ..
- Culverwell J, Karlstrom R. Making the connection: retinal axon guidance in the zebrafish. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2002;13:497-506 pubmed..The combination of zebrafish genetic and embryological approaches promises to greatly increase our understanding of how multiple guidance mechanisms establish the complex neural interconnectivity of the vertebrate brain. ..