Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gli1
Description: GLI family zinc finger 1
Alias: zinc finger protein GLI1, GLI-Kruppel family member 1, detour, dtr
- Huang P, Schier A. Dampened Hedgehog signaling but normal Wnt signaling in zebrafish without cilia. Development. 2009;136:3089-98 pubmed publisher..This activity is largely due to gli1, the expression of which is fully dependent on Hh signaling in mouse but not in zebrafish...
- Yang H, Xiang J, Wang N, Zhao Y, Hyman J, Li S, et al. Converse conformational control of smoothened activity by structurally related small molecules. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:20876-84 pubmed publisher..Using Gli1-dependent GFP transgenic zebrafish and in vitro biochemical assays, we identified and characterized two potent Smo ..
- Zhai G, Gu Q, He J, Lou Q, Chen X, Jin X, et al. Sept6 is required for ciliogenesis in Kupffer's vesicle, the pronephros, and the neural tube during early embryonic development. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:1310-21 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a novel role of sept6 in ciliogenesis during early embryonic development in zebrafish. ..
- Teraoka H, Dong W, Okuhara Y, Iwasa H, Shindo A, Hill A, et al. Impairment of lower jaw growth in developing zebrafish exposed to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin and reduced hedgehog expression. Aquat Toxicol. 2006;78:103-13 pubmed..b (shhb) and their receptors, patched1 (ptc1) and patched2 (ptc2), as well as the downstream transcription factors, gli1 and gli2a...
- Wang X, Zhao Z, Müller J, Iyu A, Khng A, Guccione E, et al. Targeted inactivation and identification of targets of the Gli2a transcription factor in the zebrafish. Biol Open. 2013;2:1203-13 pubmed publisher..induced by targeted mutagenesis, we show that Gli2a is completely dispensable in the fish but acts redundantly with Gli1 to regulate expression of known Hh targets, such as ptch2, prdm1a and eng2a, in the myotome and neural tube...
- Quintana A, Hernandez J, Gonzalez C. Functional analysis of the zebrafish ortholog of HMGCS1 reveals independent functions for cholesterol and isoprenoids in craniofacial development. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180856 pubmed publisher..effect on Shh signaling at 2 and 3 days post fertilization (dpf), but did result in a decrease in the expression of gli1, a known Shh target gene, at 4 dpf, after morphological deficits in craniofacial development and chondrocyte ..
- Park S, Davison J, Rhee J, Hruban R, Maitra A, Leach S. Oncogenic KRAS induces progenitor cell expansion and malignant transformation in zebrafish exocrine pancreas. Gastroenterology. 2008;134:2080-90 pubmed publisher..To examine the effects of oncogene activation within the pancreatic progenitor pool, we devised a system for real-time visualization of both normal and oncogenic KRAS-expressing pancreatic progenitor cells in living zebrafish embryos...
- Huycke T, Eames B, Kimmel C. Hedgehog-dependent proliferation drives modular growth during morphogenesis of a dermal bone. Development. 2012;139:2371-80 pubmed publisher..Hence, patterning within a module may include adjacent regions of functionally related bones and might require that signaling pathways function over an extended period of development. ..
- Gates K, Mentzer L, Karlstrom R, Sirotkin H. The transcriptional repressor REST/NRSF modulates hedgehog signaling. Dev Biol. 2010;340:293-305 pubmed publisher..The role of Rest as a regulator of Hh signaling has broad implications for many developmental contexts where REST and Hh signaling act. ..
- Wiweger M, Zhao Z, van Merkesteyn R, Roehl H, Hogendoorn P. HSPG-deficient zebrafish uncovers dental aspect of multiple osteochondromas. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29734 pubmed publisher..The presence of the malformed and/or displaced teeth with abnormal enamel was declared by half of the respondents indicating that MO might indeed be also associated with dental problems. ..
- Loucks E, Ahlgren S. Assessing teratogenic changes in a zebrafish model of fetal alcohol exposure. J Vis Exp. 2012;: pubmed publisher..Described here are the basic techniques used to study and manipulate the zebrafish FAS model. ..
- Mich J, Blaser H, Thomas N, Firestone A, Yelon D, Raz E, et al. Germ cell migration in zebrafish is cyclopamine-sensitive but Smoothened-independent. Dev Biol. 2009;328:342-54 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Hh signaling is not required for zebrafish PGC migration, and underscore the importance of regulated cell-cell adhesion for cell migration in vivo. ..
- Rack P, Ni J, Payumo A, Nguyen V, Crapster J, Hovestadt V, et al. Arhgap36-dependent activation of Gli transcription factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:11061-6 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a new mechanism of Gli transcription factor activation and implicate ARHGAP36 dysregulation in the onset and/or progression of GLI-dependent cancers. ..
- Yuan Y, Zhao Y, Xin S, Wu N, Wen J, Li S, et al. A novel PEGylated liposome-encapsulated SANT75 suppresses tumor growth through inhibiting hedgehog signaling pathway. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e60266 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that liposomal formulated SANT75 has improved solubility and bioavailability and should be further developed as a drug candidate for treating tumors with abnormally high Hh activity. ..
- Stiff T, Casar Tena T, O Driscoll M, Jeggo P, Philipp M. ATR promotes cilia signalling: links to developmental impacts. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:1574-87 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a novel role for ATR in cilia signalling distinct from its canonical function during replication and strengthen emerging links between cilia function and development. ..
- Chalasani K, Brewster R. N-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion restricts cell proliferation in the dorsal neural tube. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1505-15 pubmed publisher..In addition, these findings are the first to demonstrate a requirement for cadherins in synchronizing cell-cycle exit and differentiation and a reciprocal interaction between AJs and Hh signaling. ..
- Signore I, Jerez C, Figueroa D, Suazo J, Marcelain K, Cerda O, et al. Inhibition of the 3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl-CoA reductase induces orofacial defects in zebrafish. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2016;106:814-830 pubmed publisher..We found reduced expression of the downstream component of Sonic Hedgehog-signaling gli1 in ventral brain, oral ectoderm, and pharyngeal endoderm in mutants and in late atorvastatin-treated embryos...
- Maurya A, Ben J, Zhao Z, Lee R, Niah W, Ng A, et al. Positive and negative regulation of Gli activity by Kif7 in the zebrafish embryo. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003955 pubmed publisher..targeted mutagenesis, we show that in zebrafish, Kif7 acts principally to suppress the activity of the Gli1 transcription factor...
- Ju B, Chen W, Spitsbergen J, Lu J, Vogel P, Peters J, et al. Activation of Sonic hedgehog signaling in neural progenitor cells promotes glioma development in the zebrafish optic pathway. Oncogenesis. 2014;3:e96 pubmed publisher..upregulated expression of genes involved in the cell cycle, cancer signaling and Shh downstream targets ptc1, gli1 and gli2a...
- Schwend T, Loucks E, Ahlgren S. Visualization of Gli activity in craniofacial tissues of hedgehog-pathway reporter transgenic zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14396 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate the Tg(Gli-d:mCherry) fish are a highly useful tool for studying Hh-signaling dependent processes during embryogenesis and larval stages. ..
- Chandrasekhar A, Schauerte H, Haffter P, Kuwada J. The zebrafish detour gene is essential for cranial but not spinal motor neuron induction. Development. 1999;126:2727-37 pubmedThe zebrafish detour (dtr) mutation generates a novel neuronal phenotype. In dtr mutants, most cranial motor neurons, especially the branchiomotor, are missing. However, spinal motor neurons are generated normally...
- Stadler J, Shkumatava A, Neumann C. The role of hedgehog signaling in the development of the zebrafish visual system. Dev Neurosci. 2004;26:346-51 pubmed
- Lunt S, Haynes T, Perkins B. Zebrafish ift57, ift88, and ift172 intraflagellar transport mutants disrupt cilia but do not affect hedgehog signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1744-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data indicate the requirement for cilia in the Hh signal transduction pathway may not represent a universal mechanism in vertebrates. ..
- Guner B, Ozacar A, Thomas J, Karlstrom R. Graded hedgehog and fibroblast growth factor signaling independently regulate pituitary cell fates and help establish the pars distalis and pars intermedia of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Endocrinology. 2008;149:4435-51 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that there are distinct origins and signaling requirements for the PD and PI. ..
- Ungos J, Karlstrom R, Raible D. Hedgehog signaling is directly required for the development of zebrafish dorsal root ganglia neurons. Development. 2003;130:5351-62 pubmed..These results suggest that Hh signaling may normally promote DRG development by regulating expression of ngn1 in DRG precursors. ..
- Zhang Z, Feng J, Pan C, Lv X, Wu W, Zhou Z, et al. Atrophin-Rpd3 complex represses Hedgehog signaling by acting as a corepressor of CiR. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:575-83 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Rerea, a homologue of Atro in zebrafish, repressed the expression of Hh-responsive genes. We propose that the Atro-Rpd3 complex plays a conserved role to function as a Ci(R) corepressor...
- Loucks E, Schwend T, Ahlgren S. Molecular changes associated with teratogen-induced cyclopia. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2007;79:642-51 pubmed..Although all three teratogens suppress gli1 expression, they do so with variable kinetics, suggesting that while suppression of Shh signaling is a common ..
- Mich J, Chen J. Hedgehog and retinoic acid signaling cooperate to promote motoneurogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:5113-9 pubmed publisher..We also provide evidence that RA pathway activation can modulate Gli function in a Hh ligand-independent manner. These findings support a model in which Hh and RA signaling cooperate to promote PMN cell fates in zebrafish. ..
- Han Y, Xiong Y, Shi X, Wu J, Zhao Y, Jiang J. Regulation of Gli ciliary localization and Hedgehog signaling by the PY-NLS/karyopherin-?2 nuclear import system. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002063 pubmed publisher..Our study unravels the molecular mechanism and cellular machinery regulating Gli ciliary localization and identifies Kap?2 as a critical regulator of the Hh pathway and a potential drug target for Hh-driven cancers. ..
- Shen M, Ozacar A, Osgood M, Boeras C, Pink J, THOMAS J, et al. Heat-shock-mediated conditional regulation of hedgehog/gli signaling in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:539-49 pubmed publisher..heat shock in the Tg(hsp70l:shha-EGFP) and Tg(hsp70l:dnPKA-BGFP) lines, while a single heat shock of the Tg(hsp70l:gli1-EGFP) or Tg(hsp70l:gli2aDR-EGFP) lines results in a 6- to 12-hr pulse of Hh signal activation or inactivation, ..
- Pascoal S, Esteves de Lima J, Leslie J, Hughes S, Saude L. Notch signalling is required for the formation of structurally stable muscle fibres in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68021 pubmed publisher..We propose that by controlling the differentiation of myogenic progenitor cells, Notch signalling might secure the formation of structurally stable muscle fibres in the zebrafish pectoral fin. ..
- Culverwell J, Karlstrom R. Making the connection: retinal axon guidance in the zebrafish. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2002;13:497-506 pubmed..The combination of zebrafish genetic and embryological approaches promises to greatly increase our understanding of how multiple guidance mechanisms establish the complex neural interconnectivity of the vertebrate brain. ..
- Powell D, Williams J, Hernandez Lagunas L, Salcedo E, O Brien J, Artinger K. Cdon promotes neural crest migration by regulating N-cadherin localization. Dev Biol. 2015;407:289-99 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a novel role for cdon in zebrafish neural crest migration, and suggest a mechanism by which Cdon is required to localize N-cadherin to the cell membrane in migratory NCCs for directed migration. ..
- Li Y, Luo J, Mosley Y, Hedrick V, PAUL L, Chang J, et al. AMP-Activated Protein Kinase Directly Phosphorylates and Destabilizes Hedgehog Pathway Transcription Factor GLI1 in Medulloblastoma. Cell Rep. 2015;12:599-609 pubmed publisher..Activation of AMPK reduces GLI1 protein levels and stability, thus blocking Sonic-hedgehog-induced transcriptional activity...
- Bibliowicz J, Gross J. Ectopic proliferation contributes to retinal dysplasia in the juvenile zebrafish patched2 mutant eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:8868-77 pubmed publisher..This study extends the analysis of retinal structure and homeostasis in ptc2-/- mutants to juvenile stages, to determine whether Patched 2 function is essential in the postembryonic eye...
- Stückemann T, Wegleiter T, Stefan E, Nägele O, Tarbashevich K, Böck G, et al. Zebrafish Cxcr4a determines the proliferative response to Hedgehog signalling. Development. 2012;139:2711-20 pubmed publisher..of Hh signalling, and propose that Cxcr4a enhances Hh-dependent proliferation by promoting the activity of Gli1. Our results indicate that Cxcr4a is required for Hh-dependent cell proliferation but not for Hh-dependent ..
- Hudish L, Galati D, Ravanelli A, Pearson C, Huang P, Appel B. miR-219 regulates neural progenitors by dampening apical Par protein-dependent Hedgehog signaling. Development. 2016;143:2292-304 pubmed publisher..Thus, miR-219 appears to decrease progenitor cell sensitivity to Shh signaling, thereby driving these cells towards differentiation. ..
- Whitlock K, Wolf C, Boyce M. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) cells arise from cranial neural crest and adenohypophyseal regions of the neural plate in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Dev Biol. 2003;257:140-52 pubmed..Thus, the GnRH cells arise from tissue closely associated with the developing olfactory placode, and their different developmental origins reflect their different functional roles in the adult animal. ..
- Wang J, Cao J, Dickson A, Poss K. Epicardial regeneration is guided by cardiac outflow tract and Hedgehog signalling. Nature. 2015;522:226-230 pubmed publisher..These findings extend our understanding of tissue interactions during regeneration and have implications for mobilizing epicardial cells for therapeutic heart repair. ..
- Sugimoto K, Hui S, Sheng D, Kikuchi K. Dissection of zebrafish shha function using site-specific targeting with a Cre-dependent genetic switch. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..i>Zwitch will extend the utility of zebrafish in organ development and regeneration research and might be applicable to other model organisms. ..
- Masai I, Yamaguchi M, Tonou Fujimori N, Komori A, Okamoto H. The hedgehog-PKA pathway regulates two distinct steps of the differentiation of retinal ganglion cells: the cell-cycle exit of retinoblasts and their neuronal maturation. Development. 2005;132:1539-53 pubmed..This dual requirement of Hh signalling in RGC differentiation implies that the regulation of a neurogenic wave is more complex in the zebrafish retina than in the Drosophila eye. ..
- Baier H, Klostermann S, Trowe T, Karlstrom R, Nusslein Volhard C, Bonhoeffer F. Genetic dissection of the retinotectal projection. Development. 1996;123:415-25 pubmed..The results of this screen show that a large-scale genetic approach can be applied to relatively late and circumscribed developmental processes in the vertebrate brain. ..
- Paulus J, Halloran M. Zebrafish bashful/laminin-alpha 1 mutants exhibit multiple axon guidance defects. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:213-24 pubmed..In contrast to CNS axons, most peripheral axons appear normal in bal mutants. Our results, thus, reveal important and diverse functions for laminin-alpha1 in guiding developing axons in vivo. ..
- Knight R, Mebus K, Roehl H. Mandibular arch muscle identity is regulated by a conserved molecular process during vertebrate development. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2008;310:355-69 pubmed publisher..These data imply that dorsal mandibular arch muscle identity in fish, chick and mouse is specified by a highly conserved molecular process despite differing functions of these muscles in different lineages. ..
- Saita S, Shirane M, Ishitani T, Shimizu N, Nakayama K. Role of the ANKMY2-FKBP38 axis in regulation of the Sonic hedgehog (Shh) signaling pathway. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:25639-54 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus indicate that the FKBP38-ANKMY2 axis plays a key role in regulation of Shh signaling in vivo. ..
- Chen Y, Wang Y, Yu T, Wu H, Pai C. Transgenic zebrafish line with over-expression of Hedgehog on the skin: a useful tool to screen Hedgehog-inhibiting compounds. Transgenic Res. 2009;18:855-64 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this unique Tg(k18:shh:RFP) fish line, should be an excellent experimental animal for screening for a lower toxicity level of the new Hh-inhibitor and can even be used as a new anti-cancer drug-screening platform. ..