Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gfi1ab
Description: growth factor independent 1A transcription repressor b
Alias: gfi1, gfi1.2, gfi1b, zinc finger protein Gfi-1, growth factor independent 1, growth factor independent 1.2, growth factor independent 1ab, growth factor independent 1b
- Lu P, Lund C, Khuansuwan S, Schumann A, Harney Tolo M, Gamse J, et al. Failure in closure of the anterior neural tube causes left isomerization of the zebrafish epithalamus. Dev Biol. 2013;374:333-44 pubmed publisher..This mechanism fails when the two sides of the epithalamus are widely separated from one another, suggesting that it is dependent upon a signaling protein with limited range. ..
- Lagadec R, Laguerre L, Menuet A, Amara A, Rocancourt C, PÃ©ricard P, et al. The ancestral role of nodal signalling in breaking L/R symmetry in the vertebrate forebrain. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6686 pubmed publisher..These data support an ancient origin of epithalamic asymmetry, and suggest that a nodal-dependent asymmetry programme operated in the forebrain of ancestral vertebrates before evolving into a variable trait in bony fish. ..
- Carl M, Bianco I, Bajoghli B, Aghaallaei N, Czerny T, Wilson S. Wnt/Axin1/beta-catenin signaling regulates asymmetric nodal activation, elaboration, and concordance of CNS asymmetries. Neuron. 2007;55:393-405 pubmed..We identify a second role for the Wnt pathway in the left/right regulation of LPM Nodal pathway gene expression, and finally, we show that at later stages Axin1 is required for the elaboration of concordant neuroanatomical asymmetries. ..
- Wilkinson R, Pouget C, Gering M, Russell A, Davies S, Kimelman D, et al. Hedgehog and Bmp polarize hematopoietic stem cell emergence in the zebrafish dorsal aorta. Dev Cell. 2009;16:909-16 pubmed publisher..These findings are important for the study of the production of HSCs from embryonic stem cells and establish a paradigm for the development of adult stem cells. ..
- Dufourcq P, Roussigne M, Blader P, Rosa F, Peyrieras N, Vriz S. Mechano-sensory organ regeneration in adults: the zebrafish lateral line as a model. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2006;33:180-7 pubmed..Altogether, our observations indicate that caudal lateral line regeneration is not a mere recapitulation of the ontogenic process. ..
- de Borsetti N, Dean B, Bain E, Clanton J, Taylor R, Gamse J. Light and melatonin schedule neuronal differentiation in the habenular nuclei. Dev Biol. 2011;358:251-61 pubmed publisher..We conclude that light and melatonin schedule the differentiation of neurons and the formation of neural processes in the habenular nuclei. ..
- Pavlou S, Astell K, Kasioulis I, Gakovic M, Baldock R, van Heyningen V, et al. Pleiotropic effects of Sox2 during the development of the zebrafish epithalamus. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e87546 pubmed publisher..Deviations from this strict control result in defects associated with abnormal habenular laterality, which we have documented and quantified in sox2 morphants. ..
- Tian T, Zhao L, Zhao X, Zhang M, Meng A. A zebrafish gene trap line expresses GFP recapturing expression pattern of foxj1b. J Genet Genomics. 2009;36:581-9 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, this transgenic line may serve as a useful model for dynamic observation of GFP-labeled tissues and organs and for isolation of GFP-labeled cells. ..
- Khuansuwan S, Clanton J, Dean B, Patton J, Gamse J. A transcription factor network controls cell migration and fate decisions in the developing zebrafish pineal complex. Development. 2016;143:2641-50 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cell specification and migration in the pineal complex are regulated by a network of at least three transcription factors. ..
- Thambyrajah R, Ucanok D, Jalali M, Hough Y, Wilkinson R, McMahon K, et al. A gene trap transposon eliminates haematopoietic expression of zebrafish Gfi1aa, but does not interfere with haematopoiesis. Dev Biol. 2016;417:25-39 pubmed publisher..Retained expression of Gfi1b in primitive erythrocytes and up-regulation of Gfi1ab at the onset of definitive haematopoiesis in homozygous qmc551 carriers, are sufficient to allow normal ..
- Snelson C, Burkart J, Gamse J. Formation of the asymmetric pineal complex in zebrafish requires two independently acting transcription factors. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3538-44 pubmed publisher..Careful analysis shows that flh is not required for tbx2b transcription and double mutants exhibit an additive phenotype. We conclude that Flh and Tbx2b regulate separate programs of pineal and parapineal development. ..
- Velinder M, Singer J, Bareyan D, Meznarich J, Tracy C, Fulcher J, et al. GFI1 functions in transcriptional control and cell fate determination require SNAG domain methylation to recruit LSD1. Biochem J. 2016;473:3355-69 pubmed publisher..Growth factor independence 1 (GFI1) is a zinc finger transcriptional repressor and master regulator of normal and malignant hematopoiesis...
- Keightley M, Carradice D, Layton J, Pase L, Bertrand J, Wittig J, et al. The Pu.1 target gene Zbtb11 regulates neutrophil development through its integrase-like HHCC zinc finger. Nat Commun. 2017;8:14911 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that the PU.1-ZBTB11-TP53 pathway is conserved from fish to mammals. Finally, Zbtb11 mutant rescue experiments point to a ZBTB11-regulated TP53 requirement in development of other organs. ..