Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gfap
Description: glial fibrillary acidic protein
Alias: cb345, etID36982.3, gfapl, wu:fb34h11, wu:fk42c12, xx:af506734, zgc:110485, glial fibrillary acidic protein, zrf-1 antigen
- Mahler J, Filippi A, Driever W. DeltaA/DeltaD regulate multiple and temporally distinct phases of notch signaling during dopaminergic neurogenesis in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16621-35 pubmed publisher..Rather, DeltaA/D limits the size of the sim1a- and otpa-expressing precursor pool from which dopaminergic neurons differentiate. ..
- Solin S, Wang Y, Mauldin J, Schultz L, Lincow D, Brodskiy P, et al. Molecular and cellular characterization of a zebrafish optic pathway tumor line implicates glia-derived progenitors in tumorigenesis. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e114888 pubmed publisher..Immunohistochemical analysis showed increased expression of the glial markers GFAP and BLBP throughout retinal tumors and in dysplastic optic nerve...
- Filippi A, Durr K, Ryu S, Willaredt M, Holzschuh J, Driever W. Expression and function of nr4a2, lmx1b, and pitx3 in zebrafish dopaminergic and noradrenergic neuronal development. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:135 pubmed..A di-mesencephalic longitudinal domain of lmx1b expression may be the basis for the expansion and posterior shift of ventral di-/mesencephalic dopaminergic populations with ascending projections during evolution. ..
- Larson T, Gordon T, Lau H, Parichy D. Defective adult oligodendrocyte and Schwann cell development, pigment pattern, and craniofacial morphology in puma mutant zebrafish having an alpha tubulin mutation. Dev Biol. 2010;346:296-309 pubmed publisher..This study identifies the puma mutant as a valuable model for studying microtubule-dependent events of myelination, as well as strategies for remyelination in the adult. ..
- Shin J, Padmanabhan A, de Groh E, Lee J, Haidar S, Dahlberg S, et al. Zebrafish neurofibromatosis type 1 genes have redundant functions in tumorigenesis and embryonic development. Dis Model Mech. 2012;5:881-94 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings support a role for nf1a and nf1b as potent tumor suppressor genes that also function in the development of both central and peripheral glial cells as well as melanophores in zebrafish. ..
- Bill B, Balciunas D, McCarra J, Young E, Xiong T, Spahn A, et al. Development and Notch signaling requirements of the zebrafish choroid plexus. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3114 pubmed publisher..This establishes the zebrafish CP as an important new system for the determination of key signaling pathways in the formation of this essential component of the vertebrate brain. ..
- Yao S, Cheng M, Zhang Q, Wasik M, Kelsh R, Winkler C. Anaplastic lymphoma kinase is required for neurogenesis in the developing central nervous system of zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63757 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that tightly controlled alk expression is critical for the balance between neural progenitor proliferation, differentiation and survival during embryonic neurogenesis...
- Hortopan G, Dinday M, Baraban S. Spontaneous seizures and altered gene expression in GABA signaling pathways in a mind bomb mutant zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2010;30:13718-28 pubmed publisher..This work may have important implications for neurological and neurodevelopmental disorders associated with mutations in ubiquitin ligase activity. ..
- Xu H, Shao X, Zhang Z, Zou Y, Chen Y, Han S, et al. Effects of di-n-butyl phthalate and diethyl phthalate on acetylcholinesterase activity and neurotoxicity related gene expression in embryonic zebrafish. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 2013;91:635-9 pubmed publisher..of growth associated protein 43 (gap43), embryonic lethal abnormal vision-like 3 (elavl3), glial fibrillary acidic protein (gfap), myelin basic protein (mbp), ?1-tubulin and neurogenin1 (ngn1) were significantly up-regulated ..
- Goto H, Kimmey S, Row R, Matus D, Martin B. FGF and canonical Wnt signaling cooperate to induce paraxial mesoderm from tailbud neuromesodermal progenitors through regulation of a two-step epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Development. 2017;144:1412-1424 pubmed publisher..Wnt signaling initiates EMT, whereas FGF signaling terminates this event. Our results indicate that germ layer induction in the zebrafish tailbud is not a simple continuation of gastrulation events. ..
- Bai Q, Mullett S, Garver J, Hinkle D, Burton E. Zebrafish DJ-1 is evolutionarily conserved and expressed in dopaminergic neurons. Brain Res. 2006;1113:33-44 pubmed..These studies show that zDJ-1 is very similar to human DJ-1 and delineate essential resources, allowing further examination of the function and regulation of DJ-1, using the zebrafish as a model. ..
- Matsuoka R, Rossi A, Stone O, Stainier D. CNS-resident progenitors direct the vascularization of neighboring tissues. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:10137-10142 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings identify a critical function for CNS-resident progenitors in the regulation of vascularization outside the CNS, serving as a paradigm for cross-tissue coordination of vascular morphogenesis and growth. ..
- Satou C, Kimura Y, Higashijima S. Generation of multiple classes of V0 neurons in zebrafish spinal cord: progenitor heterogeneity and temporal control of neuronal diversity. J Neurosci. 2012;32:1771-83 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that multiple types of V0 neurons are produced by two distinct mechanisms; from heterogeneous p0 progenitors and from the same p0 progenitor, but in a time-dependent manner. ..
- Arslan Ergul A, Erbaba B, Karoglu E, Halim D, Adams M. Short-term dietary restriction in old zebrafish changes cell senescence mechanisms. Neuroscience. 2016;334:64-75 pubmed publisher..Neither age nor DR changed the differentiation patterns of glial cells. Our results suggest that the potential effects of DR could be mediated by telomere regulation and whether these are beneficial or negative remains to be determined. ..
- Zhang Y, Wang L, Zhou W, Wang H, Zhang J, Deng S, et al. Tissue factor pathway inhibitor-2: a novel gene involved in zebrafish central nervous system development. Dev Biol. 2013;381:38-49 pubmed publisher..In addition, changes of neural markers, including pax2a, egr2b, huC, ngn1, gfap and olig2, confirmed the presence of developmental abnormalities in the relevant regions of ztfpi-2 morphants...
- Ramirez I, Pietka G, Jones D, Divecha N, Alia A, Baraban S, et al. Impaired neural development in a zebrafish model for Lowe syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:1744-59 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate a novel role for OCRL1 in neural development, and support a model whereby dysregulation of phosphoinositide metabolism and clathrin-mediated membrane traffic leads to the neurological symptoms of Lowe syndrome. ..
- März M, Schmidt R, Rastegar S, Strahle U. Regenerative response following stab injury in the adult zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2221-31 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, the proliferative response is almost completely restricted to the lesioned hemisphere indicating that signals inducing regeneration remain mainly confined within the lesioned half of the telencephalon. ..
- Barresi M, Hutson L, Chien C, Karlstrom R. Hedgehog regulated Slit expression determines commissure and glial cell position in the zebrafish forebrain. Development. 2005;132:3643-56 pubmed..We show that a small population of Gfap+ astroglia spans the midline of the zebrafish forebrain in the position of, and prior to, commissural and retinal ..
- Wu Q, Yan W, Liu C, Li L, Yu L, Zhao S, et al. Microcystin-LR exposure induces developmental neurotoxicity in zebrafish embryo. Environ Pollut. 2016;213:793-800 pubmed publisher..The above results indicated that MCLR-induced developmental toxicity might attribute to the disorder of cholinergic system, dopaminergic signaling, and the development of neurons. ..
- Liu L, Lin M, Lai Z, Jiang J, Huang Y, Jao L, et al. Motor neuron-derived Thsd7a is essential for zebrafish vascular development via the Notch-dll4 signaling pathway. J Biomed Sci. 2016;23:59 pubmed publisher..Thsd7a could regulate ISV angiogenesis via Notch-dll4 signaling. Thus, Thsd7a is a potent angioneurin involved in the development of both neural and vascular systems. ..
- Nagashima M, Mawatari K, Tanaka M, Higashi T, Saito H, Muramoto K, et al. Purpurin is a key molecule for cell differentiation during the early development of zebrafish retina. Brain Res. 2009;1302:54-63 pubmed publisher..These results strongly suggest that purpurin is a key molecule for not only optic nerve regeneration in adult but also cell differentiation during early development in embryo. ..
- Senut M, Gulati Leekha A, Goldman D. An element in the alpha1-tubulin promoter is necessary for retinal expression during optic nerve regeneration but not after eye injury in the adult zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2004;24:7663-73 pubmed..696 kb and mutant promoters targeted GFP expression to Müller glia-like cells, some of which re-entered the cell cycle. These new findings will be useful for identifying the molecular signals necessary for successful CNS regeneration. ..
- Conedera F, Arendt P, Trepp C, Tschopp M, Enzmann V. Müller Glia Cell Activation in a Laser-induced Retinal Degeneration and Regeneration Model in Zebrafish. J Vis Exp. 2017;: pubmed publisher..In order to confirm the data from real-time OCT, histological sections were performed and regenerative response after the induction of the retinal injury was investigated by immunohistochemistry. ..
- Hassel D, Scholz E, Trano N, Friedrich O, Just S, Meder B, et al. Deficient zebrafish ether-à-go-go-related gene channel gating causes short-QT syndrome in zebrafish reggae mutants. Circulation. 2008;117:866-75 pubmed publisher..With its molecular and pathophysiological concordance to the human arrhythmia syndrome, zebrafish reg represents the first animal model for human short-QT syndrome. ..
- Huang Q, Huang L, Huang H. Proteomic analysis of methyl parathion-responsive proteins in zebrafish (Danio rerio) brain. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2011;153:67-74 pubmed publisher..These data may provide novel biomarkers for the evaluation of MP contamination and useful insights for understanding the mechanisms of MP toxicity. ..
- Jin Y, Zhu Z, Wang Y, Yang E, Feng X, Fu Z. The fungicide imazalil induces developmental abnormalities and alters locomotor activity during early developmental stages in zebrafish. Chemosphere. 2016;153:455-61 pubmed publisher..act as a neuroendocrine disruptor by decreasing the expression of neurotoxicity-related genes such as Glial fibrillary acidic protein (Gfap), Myelin basic protein (Mbp) and Sonic hedgehog a (Shha) during early developmental stages of ..
- Chen L, Yu K, Huang C, Yu L, Zhu B, Lam P, et al. Prenatal transfer of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) results in developmental neurotoxicity in zebrafish larvae. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:9727-34 pubmed publisher..This study provides the first evidence that parental exposure to environmentally relevant concentrations of PBDEs could cause adverse effects on neurodevelopment in zebrafish offspring. ..
- Briona L, Poulain F, Mosimann C, Dorsky R. Wnt/ÃŸ-catenin signaling is required for radial glial neurogenesis following spinal cord injury. Dev Biol. 2015;403:15-21 pubmed publisher..Our data thus establish Wnt/ÃŸ-catenin pathway activation as a necessary step in spinal cord regeneration. ..
- Johnson K, Barragan J, Bashiruddin S, Smith C, Tyrrell C, Parsons M, et al. Gfap-positive radial glial cells are an essential progenitor population for later-born neurons and glia in the zebrafish spinal cord. Glia. 2016;64:1170-89 pubmed publisher..By using the gfap promoter to drive expression of nuclear localized mCherry we discerned two distinct radial glial-derived cell types:..
- Tiso N, Filippi A, Benato F, Negrisolo E, Modena N, Vaccari E, et al. Differential expression and regulation of olig genes in zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2009;515:378-96 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a role for olig genes in CNS patterning as well as in multiple cell fate decisions during neural differentiation. ..
- Madelaine R, Sloan S, Huber N, Notwell J, Leung L, Skariah G, et al. MicroRNA-9 Couples Brain Neurogenesis and Angiogenesis. Cell Rep. 2017;20:1533-1542 pubmed publisher..Because of this dual role on neural stem cell proliferation and angiogenesis, miR-9 and its downstream targets are promising factors for cellular regenerative therapy following stroke and for brain tumor treatment. ..
- Zhu B, Wang Q, Shi X, Guo Y, Xu T, Zhou B. Effect of combined exposure to lead and decabromodiphenyl ether on neurodevelopment of zebrafish larvae. Chemosphere. 2016;144:1646-54 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that BDE-209 and Pb have a synergistic disruptive effect on neurodevelopment in zebrafish larvae by enhanced generation of ROS, which is a major factor that contributes to developmental neurotoxicity. ..
- Seth A, Culverwell J, Walkowicz M, Toro S, Rick J, Neuhauss S, et al. belladonna/(Ihx2) is required for neural patterning and midline axon guidance in the zebrafish forebrain. Development. 2006;133:725-35 pubmed..Our analysis reveals new roles for Ihx2 in midline axon guidance, forebrain patterning and eye morphogenesis. ..
- Ju B, Chen W, Orr B, Spitsbergen J, Jia S, Eden C, et al. Oncogenic KRAS promotes malignant brain tumors in zebrafish. Mol Cancer. 2015;14:18 pubmed publisher..Using zebrafish cytokeratin 5 (krt5) and glial fibrillary acidic protein (gfap) gene promoters, we activated Ras signaling in the zebrafish central nervous system (CNS) ..
- Shin J, Chen J, Solnica Krezel L. Efficient homologous recombination-mediated genome engineering in zebrafish using TALE nucleases. Development. 2014;141:3807-18 pubmed publisher..We generated two HR-mediated insertion alleles of sox2 and gfap loci that express either superfolder GFP (sfGFP) or tandem dimeric Tomato (tdTomato) in a spatiotemporal pattern ..
- Quach H, Tao S, Vrljicak P, Joshi A, Ruan H, Sukumaran R, et al. A Multifunctional Mutagenesis System for Analysis of Gene Function in Zebrafish. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;5:1283-99 pubmed publisher..warwick.ac.uk/). Our approach complements other efforts using zebrafish to facilitate functional genomic studies in this model of human development and disease. ..
- MacDonald R, Kashikar N, Lagnado L, Harris W. A Novel Tool to Measure Extracellular Glutamate in the Zebrafish Nervous System In Vivo. Zebrafish. 2017;14:284-286 pubmed publisher..Its release and eventual recycling are key to rapid sustained neural activity. We have paired the gfap promoter region with the glutamate reporter molecule, iGluSnFR, to drive expression in glial cells throughout the ..
- Lim S, Wang Y, Yu X, Huang Y, Featherstone M, Sampath K. A simple strategy for heritable chromosomal deletions in zebrafish via the combinatorial action of targeting nucleases. Genome Biol. 2013;14:R69 pubmed publisher..Our strategy of heritable chromosomal editing can be used for disease modeling, analyzing gene clusters, regulatory regions, and determining the functions of non-coding RNAs in genomes. ..
- Han R, Wang R, Zhao Q, Han Y, Zong S, Miao S, et al. Trim69 regulates zebrafish brain development by ap-1 pathway. Sci Rep. 2016;6:24034 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results support a role for trim69 in the development of the zebrafish brain through ap-1 pathway. ..
- Xiao T, Baier H. Lamina-specific axonal projections in the zebrafish tectum require the type IV collagen Dragnet. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:1529-37 pubmed..Our results show that the collagen IV sheet anchors secreted factors at the surface of the tectum, which serve as guidance cues for retinal axons. ..
- Kim J, Kim C, Song J, Oh H, Kim C, Park J. Trimethyltin chloride inhibits neuronal cell differentiation in zebrafish embryo neurodevelopment. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2016;54:29-35 pubmed publisher..hedgehog a (Shha), Neurogenin1 (Ngn1), Embryonic lethal abnormal vision like protein 3 (Elavl3), and Glial fibrillary acidic protein (Gfap)...
- Barresi M, Burton S, Dipietrantonio K, Amsterdam A, Hopkins N, Karlstrom R. Essential genes for astroglial development and axon pathfinding during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2603-18 pubmed publisher..274 of 315 viral insertion lines using antibodies that label axons (anti-Acetylated Tubulin) and astroglia (anti-Gfap) and identified 25 mutants with defects in gliogenesis, glial patterning, neurogenesis, and axon guidance...
- Abdesselem H, Shypitsyna A, Solis G, Bodrikov V, Stuermer C. No Nogo66- and NgR-mediated inhibition of regenerating axons in the zebrafish optic nerve. J Neurosci. 2009;29:15489-98 pubmed publisher..Thus, not only was the NogoA-specific domain lost in fish, but Nogo66, the second inhibitory domain in mammals, and its signaling upon binding to NgR, was modified so that ZF-Nogo/RTN-4 does not impair axon regeneration. ..
- Shimizu Y, Ito Y, Tanaka H, Ohshima T. Radial glial cell-specific ablation in the adult Zebrafish brain. Genesis. 2015;53:431-9 pubmed publisher..We generated a Tg(gfap:Gal4FF) transgenic zebrafish line, which enabled us to express specific genes in RGCs...
- Ke Z, Kondrichin I, Gong Z, Korzh V. Combined activity of the two Gli2 genes of zebrafish play a major role in Hedgehog signaling during zebrafish neurodevelopment. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:388-401 pubmed..Gli2b acts in cell proliferation and plays an early role in the hindbrain within a regulatory cascade involving Notch and Ngn1, as well as a role as specific activator in rhombomere 4. ..
- Doğanlı C, Kjaer Sorensen K, Knoeckel C, Beck H, Nyengaard J, Honoré B, et al. The ?2Na+/K+-ATPase is critical for skeletal and heart muscle function in zebrafish. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:6166-75 pubmed publisher..proteomics identified up- and downregulation of specific phenotype-related proteins, such as parvalbumin, CaM, GFAP and multiple kinases, thus highlighting a potential proteome change associated with the dynamics of ?2Na(+)/K(+)-..
- Veldman M, Rios Galdamez Y, Lu X, Gu X, Qin W, Li S, et al. The N17 domain mitigates nuclear toxicity in a novel zebrafish Huntington's disease model. Mol Neurodegener. 2015;10:67 pubmed publisher..Future experiments will be focused on identifying genetic modifiers, mechanisms and therapeutics that alleviate polyQ aggregation in the nucleus of neurons. ..
- Liu Z, Wang Y, Zhu Z, Yang E, Feng X, Fu Z, et al. Atrazine and its main metabolites alter the locomotor activity of larval zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2016;148:163-70 pubmed publisher..are neuroendocrine disruptors that impact the expression of neurotoxicity-related genes such as Ache, Gap43, Gfap, Syn2a, Shha, Mbp, Elavl3, Nestin and Ngn1 in early developmental stages of zebrafish...
- Wheeler N, Lister J, Fuss B. The Autotaxin-Lysophosphatidic Acid Axis Modulates Histone Acetylation and Gene Expression during Oligodendrocyte Differentiation. J Neurosci. 2015;35:11399-414 pubmed publisher..These findings provide novel insight into the regulation of developmental myelination, and they are likely to lead to advancing studies related to the stimulation of myelin repair under pathologic conditions. ..
- Xin Q, Rotchell J, Cheng J, Yi J, Zhang Q. Silver nanoparticles affect the neural development of zebrafish embryos. J Appl Toxicol. 2015;35:1481-92 pubmed publisher..At the molecular level, AgNPs altered the expression profiles of neural development-related genes (gfap, huC and ngn1), metal-sensitive metallothioneins and ABCC genes in exposed embryos...
- Lenkowski J, Qin Z, Sifuentes C, Thummel R, Soto C, Moens C, et al. Retinal regeneration in adult zebrafish requires regulation of TGF? signaling. Glia. 2013;61:1687-97 pubmed publisher..Tgif1 expression and regulation of TGF? signaling are implicated in the function of several types of stem cells, but this is the first demonstration that this regulatory network is necessary for regeneration of neurons. ..
- Zaucker A, Mercurio S, Sternheim N, Talbot W, Marlow F. notch3 is essential for oligodendrocyte development and vascular integrity in zebrafish. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:1246-59 pubmed publisher..Our analysis of zebrafish notch3 mutants indicates that Notch3 regulates OPC development and mbp gene expression in larvae, and maintains vascular integrity in adults...
- Chen Q, Gundlach M, Yang S, Jiang J, Velki M, Yin D, et al. Quantitative investigation of the mechanisms of microplastics and nanoplastics toward zebrafish larvae locomotor activity. Sci Total Environ. 2017;584-585:1022-1031 pubmed publisher..significantly reduced larvae body length by 6%, inhibited the acetylcholinesterase activity by 40%, and upregulated gfap, ?1-tubulin, zfrho and zfblue gene expression significantly...
- GentÃ¨s S, Maury Brachet R, Feng C, Pedrero Z, Tessier E, Legeay A, et al. Specific Effects of Dietary Methylmercury and Inorganic Mercury in Zebrafish (Danio rerio) Determined by Genetic, Histological, and Metallothionein Responses. Environ Sci Technol. 2015;49:14560-9 pubmed publisher..In brain, high MeHg and iHg concentrations induced metallothionein production. Finally, the importance of the fish origin in ecotoxicological studies, here the seventh descent of a zebrafish line, is discussed. ..
- Bibliowicz J, Gross J. Ectopic proliferation contributes to retinal dysplasia in the juvenile zebrafish patched2 mutant eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:8868-77 pubmed publisher..This study extends the analysis of retinal structure and homeostasis in ptc2-/- mutants to juvenile stages, to determine whether Patched 2 function is essential in the postembryonic eye...
- Prats E, Gómez Canela C, Ben Lulu S, Ziv T, Padrós F, Tornero D, et al. Modelling acrylamide acute neurotoxicity in zebrafish larvae. Sci Rep. 2017;7:13952 pubmed publisher..These data support the suitability of the developed zebrafish model for screening of molecules with therapeutic value against this toxic neuropathy. ..
- Xia L, Zheng L, Zhou J. Effects of ibuprofen, diclofenac and paracetamol on hatch and motor behavior in developing zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2017;182:416-425 pubmed publisher..These findings indicated that ibuprofen and diclofenac significantly affected embryo locomotivity and were potentially neurotoxic, thus posing threats to zebrafish development. ..
- Jie Z, Li T, Jia Yun H, Qiu J, Ping Yao Z, Houyan S. Trans-2-phenylcyclopropylamine induces nerve cells apoptosis in zebrafish mediated by depression of LSD1 activity. Brain Res Bull. 2009;80:79-84 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate for the first time that PCPA-induced apoptosis through inhibition of LSD1 demethylase activity and p53-dependent signaling pathway might be required for the maintenance of nerve cell apoptosis...
- Fimbel S, Montgomery J, Burket C, Hyde D. Regeneration of inner retinal neurons after intravitreal injection of ouabain in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2007;27:1712-24 pubmed
- Huang T, Chen J. Proteomic and functional analysis of zebrafish after administration of antimicrobial peptide epinecidin-1. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2013;34:593-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings imply that epinecidin-1 may stabilize the cytoskeleton network in host cells, thereby promoting resistance to bacterial infection. ..
- Lee H, Chen Y, Liu Y, Lin K, Chen S, Lin C, et al. Transgenic zebrafish model to study translational control mediated by upstream open reading frame of human chop gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:e139 pubmed publisher..Therefore, using the huORFZ embryos allows us to study the regulatory network involved in human uORF(chop)-mediated translational inhibition. ..
- Jin Y, Liu Z, Peng T, Fu Z. The toxicity of chlorpyrifos on the early life stage of zebrafish: a survey on the endpoints at development, locomotor behavior, oxidative stress and immunotoxicity. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2015;43:405-14 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggested that CPF had the potential to cause developmental toxicity, behavior alterations, oxidative stress and immunotoxicity in the larval zebrafish. ..
- Ito Y, Tanaka H, Okamoto H, Ohshima T. Characterization of neural stem cells and their progeny in the adult zebrafish optic tectum. Dev Biol. 2010;342:26-38 pubmed publisher..These regions are distinguished by the differential expression of several marker genes: pcna, sox2, msi1, elavl3, gfap, fabp7a, and s100beta...
- Kassen S, Ramanan V, Montgomery J, T Burket C, Liu C, Vihtelic T, et al. Time course analysis of gene expression during light-induced photoreceptor cell death and regeneration in albino zebrafish. Dev Neurobiol. 2007;67:1009-31 pubmed..Some of the Stat3-positive Müller cells expressed PCNA at 31 h, suggesting that Stat3 may play a role in signaling a subset of Müller cells to proliferate during the regeneration response. ..
- Soares J, Pereira T, Costa K, Maraschin T, Basso N, Bogo M. Developmental neurotoxic effects of graphene oxide exposure in zebrafish larvae (Danio rerio). Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2017;157:335-346 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are needed to deepen the specific mechanisms of GO neurotoxicity and are required to elucidate its potential biomedical use. ..
- Hagström C, Olsson C. Glial cells revealed by GFAP immunoreactivity in fish gut. Cell Tissue Res. 2010;341:73-81 pubmed publisherb>Glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) is a commonly used marker to identify enteric glia in the mammalian gut. Little is however known about enteric glia in other vertebrates...
- Filippi A, Tiso N, Deflorian G, Zecchin E, Bortolussi M, Argenton F. The basic helix-loop-helix olig3 establishes the neural plate boundary of the trunk and is necessary for development of the dorsal spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:4377-82 pubmed..Thus, a proper regulation of the olig gene family is essential for the formation of three cell types (oligodendrocytes, astrocytes, and neural crest) that are unique to vertebrates. ..
- Fan C, Cowden J, Simmons S, Padilla S, Ramabhadran R. Gene expression changes in developing zebrafish as potential markers for rapid developmental neurotoxicity screening. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2010;32:91-8 pubmed publisher..2a, neurogenin1 (ngn1), alpha1-tubulin, and glial fibrillary acidic protein (gfap) initially increased, but subsequently declined...
- Gündel U, Kalkhof S, Zitzkat D, von Bergen M, Altenburger R, Küster E. Concentration-response concept in ecotoxicoproteomics: effects of different phenanthrene concentrations to the zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryo proteome. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2012;76:11-22 pubmed publisher..Using this experimental design based on testing of several exposure concentrations and less replicates might provide a step forward in getting increased output from toxicoproteomics studies. ..
- Drew R, Settles M, Churchill E, Williams S, Balli S, Robison B. Brain transcriptome variation among behaviorally distinct strains of zebrafish (Danio rerio). BMC Genomics. 2012;13:323 pubmed publisher..However, this conclusion must be tempered by limitations associated with comparisons among microarray studies and the low level of population-level replication inherent to these studies. ..
- Bibliowicz J, Gross J. Expanded progenitor populations, vitreo-retinal abnormalities, and Müller glial reactivity in the zebrafish leprechaun/patched2 retina. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:52 pubmed publisher..lep/ptc2 mutants possessed a localized upregulation of GFAP, a marker for 'reactive' glia, as well as morphological abnormalities at the vitreo-retinal interface, where Mü..
- Bergeron S, Tyurina O, Miller E, Bagas A, Karlstrom R. Brother of cdo (umleitung) is cell-autonomously required for Hedgehog-mediated ventral CNS patterning in the zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:75-85 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a role for Boc in ventral CNS cells that receive high levels of Hh and uncovers previously unknown roles for Boc in vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Alvarez Y, Cederlund M, Cottell D, Bill B, Ekker S, Torres Vazquez J, et al. Genetic determinants of hyaloid and retinal vasculature in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:114 pubmed..Abnormalities of these intraocular vessels are easily observed, enabling application of genetic and chemical approaches in zebrafish to identify molecular regulators of hyaloid and retinal vasculature in development and disease. ..