Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gdf6a
Description: growth differentiation factor 6a
Alias: rdr, sb:cb278, GDF-6-A, cb278, darl, growth differentiation factor 6, growth/differentiation factor 6-A, out, protein radar, radar
- GDF6, a novel locus for a spectrum of ocular developmental anomaliesMika Asai-Coakwell
Department of Ophthalmology and Medical Genetics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2H7, Canada
Am J Hum Genet 80:306-15. 2007..deletion encompasses GDF6, encoding a member of the bone-morphogenetic protein family, and that inhibition of gdf6a in a model organism accurately recapitulates the proband's phenotype...
- Pbx homeodomain proteins pattern both the zebrafish retina and tectumCurtis R French
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
BMC Dev Biol 7:85. 2007..Although previous results have demonstrated that Pbx is required for proper eye size, functions in regulating retinal cell identity and patterning have not yet been examined...
- Incomplete penetrance and phenotypic variability characterize Gdf6-attributable oculo-skeletal phenotypesMika Asai-Coakwell
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Hum Mol Genet 18:1110-21. 2009..We identified seven heterozygous mutations in growth differentiation factor 6 (GDF6), a member of the BMP family, in patients with both ocular and vertebral anomalies, ..
- Pathways in blood and vessel development revealed through zebrafish geneticsPhilip S Crosier
Division of Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Auckland, New Zealand
Int J Dev Biol 46:493-502. 2002..Gdf6a/radar, a member of the bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) family, is expressed in the zebrafish hypochord and primitive ..
- An essential role for Radar (Gdf6a) in inducing dorsal fate in the zebrafish retinaNathan J Gosse
Department of Physiology, Program in Developmental Biology, Genetics, University of California, 1550 Fourth Street, San Francisco, CA 94158 2722, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:2236-41. 2009..We have discovered that the diffusible TGFss-related factor Radar (Gdf6a) is necessary and sufficient for activation of dorsal markers, such as Bmp4, Tbx5, Tbx2b, and Ephrin-B2, ..
- Gdf6a is required for the initiation of dorsal-ventral retinal patterning and lens developmentCurtis R French
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, CW405, Biological Sciences Bldg, Edmonton T6G 2E9, Canada
Dev Biol 333:37-47. 2009..In this study, we investigate the functions of two zebrafish Bmps, Gdf6a and Bmp4, during initiation of dorsal retinal identity, and subsequently during lens differentiation...
- The BMP-related protein radar: a maintenance factor for dorsal neuroectoderm cells?E Delot
Unité INSERM U368, Ecole Normale Superieure, 46 rud d Ulm, F 75005, Paris, France
Mech Dev 85:15-25. 1999We have previously cloned several members of the TGF-beta superfamily of growth factors in zebrafish, one of which, Radar, belongs to the Dpp-Vg1-related (DVR) subgroup, with highest homology to GDF6...
- Radar is required for the establishment of vascular integrity in the zebrafishChristopher J Hall
Department of Molecular Medicine and Pathology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Dev Biol 251:105-17. 2002..Here, we propose a role for Radar, one of the zebrafish orthologues of gdf6, in establishing integrity of the trunk vasculature in zebrafish embryos...
- Dpysl2 (CRMP2) and Dpysl3 (CRMP4) phosphorylation by Cdk5 and DYRK2 is required for proper positioning of Rohon-Beard neurons and neural crest cells during neurulation in zebrafishHideomi Tanaka
Department of Life Science and Medical Bio Science, Waseda University, 2 2 Wakamatsu cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8480, Japan
Dev Biol 370:223-36. 2012..These results suggest that the phosphorylation of Dpysl2 and Dpysl3 by Cdk5 and DYRK2 is required for the proper positioning of RB neurons and NCCs during neurulation in zebrafish embryos...
- Extraocular ectoderm triggers dorsal retinal fate during optic vesicle evagination in zebrafishRenee Kruse-Bend
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, 20 North 1900 East, Room 401 MREB, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Dev Biol 371:57-65. 2012..We identified gdf6a as a dorsal initiation signal acting from the extraocular non-neural ectoderm during optic vesicle evagination...
- Contribution of growth differentiation factor 6-dependent cell survival to early-onset retinal dystrophiesMika Asai-Coakwell
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Hum Mol Genet 22:1432-42. 2013..Here we show that mutations in the transforming growth factor-β (TGF-β) ligand Growth Differentiation Factor 6, which specifies the dorso-ventral retinal axis, contribute to Leber congenital amaurosis...
- The ventral to dorsal BMP activity gradient in the early zebrafish embryo is determined by graded expression of BMP ligandsMarie Christine Ramel
Laboratory of Developmental Signalling, Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London, WC2A 3LY, United Kingdom
Dev Biol 378:170-82. 2013....
- Requirement for endoderm and FGF3 in ventral head skeleton formationNicolas B David
U 368 INSERM, Ecole Normale Superieure, 46 rue d Ulm, F 75230 Paris cedex 05, France
Development 129:4457-68. 2002..Together, our results reveal for the first time that the endoderm provides differential cues along the anteroposterior axis to control ventral head skeleton development and demonstrate that this function is mediated in part by Fgf3...
- Zic-associated holoprosencephaly: zebrafish Zic1 controls midline formation and forebrain patterning by regulating Nodal, Hedgehog, and retinoic acid signalingDaniel Maurus
Department of Physiology, Development, and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3DY, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 23:1461-73. 2009..Repression of BMP signaling in dorsal forebrain has been implicated in causing MIH HPE. This work provides a mechanistical explanation at the molecular level of why Zic factors are associated with both major forms of HPE...
- The ventralizing activity of Radar, a maternally expressed bone morphogenetic protein, reveals complex bone morphogenetic protein interactions controlling dorso-ventral patterning in zebrafishC Goutel
INSERM U 368, Ecole Normale Superieure, 46 rue d Ulm, 75005, Paris, France
Mech Dev 99:15-27. 2000..We provide evidence here that a maternally expressed bone morphogenetic protein (BMP), Radar, may control early ventral specification in zebrafish...
- Syntabulin, a motor protein linker, controls dorsal determinationHideaki Nojima
Laboratory for Vertebrate Axis Formation, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Hyogo 650 0047, Japan
Development 137:923-33. 2010..Our findings suggest that Syntabulin regulates the microtubule-dependent transport of the DDs, and provide evidence for the link between AV and dorsoventral axis formation...
- Absence of an external germinal layer in zebrafish and shark reveals a distinct, anamniote ground plan of cerebellum developmentNatalie Chaplin
Medical Research Council Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 30:3048-57. 2010..We show that these anamniotes share a common ground plan of granule cell production that does not include an external germinal layer...
- Identification of a distant cis-regulatory element controlling pharyngeal arch-specific expression of zebrafish gdf6a/radarNykolaus P Reed
Department of Microbial Pathogenesis and Immune Response, School of Graduate Studies and Research, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Dev Dyn 239:1047-60. 2010..b>radar/gdf6a is a zebrafish ortholog of Gdf6 and has an essential role in embryonic patterning...
- Meis1 specifies positional information in the retina and tectum to organize the zebrafish visual systemTimothy Erickson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, CW405, Biological Sciences Bldg, Edmonton T6G 2E9, Canada
Neural Dev 5:22. 2010..Meis1 is a TALE-class homeodomain transcription factor known to specify anterior-posterior identity in the hindbrain, but its role in visual system patterning has not been investigated...
- Genetic defects of GDF6 in the zebrafish out of sight mutant and in human eye developmental anomaliesAnneke I den Hollander
Division of Craniofacial and Molecular Genetics, Tufts University, 136 Harrison Ave, Boston MA 02111, USA
BMC Genet 11:102. 2010..A mutation in the zebrafish out of sight (out) locus results in a particularly severe reduction of eye size...
- Isolation of zebrafish gdf7 and comparative genetic mapping of genes belonging to the growth/differentiation factor 5, 6, 7 subgroup of the TGF-beta superfamilyA J Davidson
Department of Molecular Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Genome Res 9:121-9. 1999..In zebrafish, there are three genes that belong to the Gdf5, 6, 7 subgroup that have been named radar, dynamo, and contact. The genes radar and dynamo both encode proteins most similar to mouse GDF6...
- Conversion of zebrafish blastomeres to an endodermal fate by TGF-beta-related signalingN Peyrieras
INSERM U368, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, France
Curr Biol 8:783-6. 1998....
- Vertebrate genome evolution and the zebrafish gene mapJ H Postlethwait
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene 97403 1254, USA
Nat Genet 18:345-9. 1998..This zebrafish gene map will facilitate molecular identification of mutated zebrafish genes, which can suggest functions for human genes known only by sequence...
- The zebrafish-secreted matrix protein you/scube2 is implicated in long-range regulation of hedgehog signalingAtsushi Kawakami
Department of Biological Science, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Curr Biol 15:480-8. 2005..We further show that Bmp activity can be attenuated by the coexpression of Scube2. Our data support the idea that Scube2 can modulate the long-range action of Bmp-dependent signaling in the neural tube and somites...
- One melanocortin 4 and two melanocortin 5 receptors from zebrafish show remarkable conservation in structure and pharmacologyAneta Ringholm
Department of Neuroscience, Unit of Pharmacology, Uppsala University, BMC, 75 124 Uppsala, Sweden
J Neurochem 82:6-18. 2002....
- Zic1 and Zic4 regulate zebrafish roof plate specification and hindbrain ventricle morphogenesisGina E Elsen
The Committee on Neurobiology, University of Chicago, 947 East 58th Street, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Dev Biol 314:376-92. 2008..In summary, we conclude that Zic1 and Zic4 control zebrafish 4th ventricle morphogenesis by regulating multiple mechanisms including cell proliferation and fate specification in the dorsal hindbrain...
- Ethanol disrupts the formation of hypochord and dorsal aorta during the development of embryonic zebrafishLinxi Qian
Key Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, Ministry of Education, Shanghai Medical School of Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
Sci China C Life Sci 48:608-15. 2005..The consequent lack of vasculogenic factors including Radar and Ang-1 partly explains the defects in formation and integrity of dorsal aorta...
- Knockdown of zebrafish crim1 results in a bent tail phenotype with defects in somite and vascular developmentGenevieve Kinna
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Mech Dev 123:277-87. 2006..Hence, the primary role of zebrafish crim1 is likely to be the regulation of somitic and vascular development...
- Specification of the primitive myeloid precursor pool requires signaling through Alk8 in zebrafishBenjamin M Hogan
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Post Office Box 2008, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Victoria 3050, Australia
Curr Biol 16:506-11. 2006..1 expression, but the role of alk8 was independent of the scl-dependent cell-fate pathway. Furthermore, the role of Alk8 in myelopoiesis was genetically separable from its earlier role in dorsal-ventral embryonic patterning...
- Notch signaling regulates midline cell specification and proliferation in zebrafishAndrew J Latimer
Department of Biological Sciences, Vanderbilt University, U7211 BSB MRBIII, 465 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Dev Biol 298:392-402. 2006..Together, our results indicate that Notch signaling regulates allocation of appropriate numbers of different midline cells by different mechanisms...
- Transcriptional profiling of caudal fin regeneration in zebrafishMichael Schebesta
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Cardiology, Harvard Medical School, 320 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 6:38-54. 2006..Taken together, we provide a comprehensive database of fin regeneration that will serve as an important tool for understanding the molecular mechanisms of regeneration...
- Radar breaks the fog: insights into dorsoventral patterning in zebrafishThomas P Wilm
Vanderbilt University, VU Station B 351634, Nashville, TN 37235 1634, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:4363-5. 2003
- Maternal induction of ventral fate by zebrafish radarSamuel Sidi
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U368, Ecole Normale Superieure, 75005 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:3315-20. 2003..in the zebrafish embryo by the maternally encoded transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) signaling molecule, Radar. Loss-of-function experiments, together with epistasis analyses, identify maternal Radar as an upstream activator ..
- Proliferation and patterning are mediated independently in the dorsal spinal cord downstream of canonical Wnt signalingJennifer Bonner
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy University, Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Dev Biol 313:398-407. 2008..Together, our work demonstrates that proliferation and patterning in the developing spinal cord are separable events that are regulated independently by Wnt signaling...
- Sox18 and Sox7 play redundant roles in vascular developmentSolei Cermenati
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomolecolari e Biotecnologie, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria 26, Milan, Italy
Blood 111:2657-66. 2008..Our data suggest that a defect in arteriovenous identity could be responsible for the formation of telangiectases in patients with HLT...
- Zebrafish Radar: a new member of the TGF-beta superfamily defines dorsal regions of the neural plate and the embryonic retinaM Rissi
Department of Cell Biology, Biozentrum der Universitat, Basel, Switzerland
Mech Dev 49:223-34. 1995..new members of this superfamily involved in the control of early zebrafish embryogenesis, we have isolated a gene, Radar, which appears to be conserved throughout vertebrate evolution and defines a new subfamily within the superfamily...