Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gata6
Description: GATA binding protein 6
Alias: GATA-5, cb603, transcription factor GATA-6
- Holtzinger A, Evans T. Gata4 regulates the formation of multiple organs. Development. 2005;132:4005-14 pubmed..Therefore, a single transcription factor regulates the formation of many organs. Gata6 is a closely related transcription factor with an overlapping expression pattern...
- Hozumi S, Hirabayashi R, Yoshizawa A, Ogata M, Ishitani T, Tsutsumi M, et al. DEAD-box protein Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33675 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results suggest a model in which zebrafish Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain, possibly through the control of pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Wen B, Yuan H, Liu X, Wang H, Chen S, Chen Z, et al. GATA5 SUMOylation is indispensable for zebrafish cardiac development. Biochim Biophys Acta Gen Subj. 2017;1861:1691-1701 pubmed publisher..GATA5 SUMOylation is indispensable for early zebrafish cardiac development. Our studies highlight the potential importance of transcription factor SUMOylation in cardiac development. ..
- Matrone G, Wilson K, Maqsood S, Mullins J, Tucker C, Denvir M. CDK9 and its repressor LARP7 modulate cardiomyocyte proliferation and response to injury in the zebrafish heart. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:4560-71 pubmed publisher..The balance of Cdk9 and Larp7 plays a key role in cardiomyocyte proliferation and response to injury. Larp7 represents a potentially novel therapeutic target to promote cardiomyocyte proliferation and recovery from injury. ..
- Holtzinger A, Evans T. Gata5 and Gata6 are functionally redundant in zebrafish for specification of cardiomyocytes. Dev Biol. 2007;312:613-22 pubmed..Here we show that in zebrafish the gata5 and gata6 genes are redundant for specification of cardiomyocytes. Embryos depleted of these two gene products are heartless...
- Chan T, Chao C, Wang H, Yu Y, Yuh C. Functional analysis of the evolutionarily conserved cis-regulatory elements on the sox17 gene in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;326:456-70 pubmed publisher..This information provides new insight into the complexity of endoderm formation and serves as a valuable resource for the establishment of a complete endoderm gene regulatory network. ..
- Manfroid I, Delporte F, Baudhuin A, Motte P, Neumann C, Voz M, et al. Reciprocal endoderm-mesoderm interactions mediated by fgf24 and fgf10 govern pancreas development. Development. 2007;134:4011-21 pubmed
- Li Y, Chiang K, Li Y, Wu S, Liu W, Lin C, et al. MiR-145 mediates zebrafish hepatic outgrowth through progranulin A signaling. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177887 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings suggest an important role of miR-145 in regulating GrnA-dependent hepatic outgrowth in zebrafish embryonic development. ..
- Qin W, Chen Z, Zhang Y, Yan R, Yan G, Li S, et al. Nom1 mediates pancreas development by regulating ribosome biogenesis in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e100796 pubmed publisher..This suggests that targeting Pp1? into the nucleolus by Nom1 is important for pancreatic proliferation. Altogether, our studies revealed a new mechanism involving Nom1 in controlling vertebrate exocrine pancreas formation. ..
- Rikin A, Evans T. The tbx/bHLH transcription factor mga regulates gata4 and organogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:535-47 pubmed publisher..Transcript profiling experiments show that mga functions early to influence key regulators of mesendoderm, including tbx6, cas, and sox17. ..
- Gillis W, St John J, Bowerman B, Schneider S. Whole genome duplications and expansion of the vertebrate GATA transcription factor gene family. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:207 pubmed publisher..The evolutionary analysis of GATA gene origins and relationships may inform understanding vertebrate GATA factor redundancies and specializations. ..
- Liu N, Li Z, Pei D, Shu X. Zfyve9a regulates the proliferation of hepatic cells during zebrafish embryogenesis. Int J Dev Biol. 2013;57:773-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results reveal the liver-specific function of zfyve9a during early embryogenesis and indicate that the zfyve9a mediated signal is essential for the proliferation of hepatic cells during the expansion of liver bud. ..
- Kim H, Schleiffarth J, Jessurun J, Sumanas S, Petryk A, Lin S, et al. Wnt5 signaling in vertebrate pancreas development. BMC Biol. 2005;3:23 pubmed..This study opens the door for further investigation into a role of Wnt signaling in vertebrate organ development and disease. ..
- Zeng L, Childs S. The smooth muscle microRNA miR-145 regulates gut epithelial development via a paracrine mechanism. Dev Biol. 2012;367:178-86 pubmed publisher..We show that expression of bmp4 is modulated by the miR-145 direct target gata6 but not a second potential direct target, klf5a...
- Chen Y, Wu B, Chu C, Cheng C, Han H, Chen G, et al. Identification and characterization of alternative promoters of zebrafish Rtn-4/Nogo genes in cultured cells and zebrafish embryos. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:4635-50 pubmed publisher..Using morpholino knockdown experiments, GATA4 and GATA6 were involved in the control of P1 promoter activity in the liver and intestine, while Myf5 and MyoD for the ..
- Won M, Ro H, Dawid I. Lnx2 ubiquitin ligase is essential for exocrine cell differentiation in the early zebrafish pancreas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:12426-31 pubmed publisher..Further, the complex relationships among genotype, phenotype, and morpholino effect in this case may be instructive in the ongoing consideration of morpholino use. ..
- Fukuda K, Kikuchi Y. Endoderm development in vertebrates: fate mapping, induction and regional specification. Dev Growth Differ. 2005;47:343-55 pubmed..We discuss the classical fate mapping of the endoderm and the more recent progress in characterizing its induction, segregation and regional specification. ..
- Wang L, Liu Z, Lin H, Ma D, Tao Q, Liu F. Epigenetic regulation of left-right asymmetry by DNA methylation. EMBO J. 2017;36:2987-2997 pubmed publisher..1 regulates collective DFC migration through cadherin 1 (Cdh1). Taken together, our data uncover dynamic DNA methylation as an epigenetic mechanism to control LR determination during early embryogenesis in vertebrates. ..
- Hutchinson S, Tooke Locke E, Wang J, Tsai S, Katz T, Trede N. Tbl3 regulates cell cycle length during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2012;368:261-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that tbl3 plays a tissue-specific role regulating cell cycle rate during development. ..
- Deshwar A, Onderisin J, Aleksandrova A, Yuan X, Burrows J, Scott I. Mespaa can potently induce cardiac fates in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2016;418:17-27 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the late activation of migration and cardiac gene transcription in mespaa over-expressing cells challenges previous studies on the timing of these events and provides intriguing questions for future study. ..
- Serafimidis I, Heximer S, Beis D, Gavalas A. G protein-coupled receptor signaling and sphingosine-1-phosphate play a phylogenetically conserved role in endocrine pancreas morphogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4442-53 pubmed publisher..Finally, we identified sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) as a ligand mediating islet cell aggregation in both species acting through distinct but closely related receptors. ..
- Amigo J, Ackermann G, Cope J, Yu M, Cooney J, Ma D, et al. The role and regulation of friend of GATA-1 (FOG-1) during blood development in the zebrafish. Blood. 2009;114:4654-63 pubmed publisher..One of these enhancers contains functional GATA-binding sites, indicating the potential for a regulatory loop in which GATA factors control the expression of their partner protein FOG-1. ..
- Lin C, Tsai M, Liu Y, Lu Y, Chen Y, Lai Y, et al. Klf8 regulates left-right asymmetric patterning through modulation of Kupffer's vesicle morphogenesis and spaw expression. J Biomed Sci. 2017;24:45 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that zebrafish Klf8 regulates left-right asymmetric patterning by modulating both Kupffer's vesicle morphogenesis and spaw expression in the left LPM. ..
- Wu T, Wang Y, Song Y, Chen Z, Chen Y, Chiu C, et al. Fine-tune regulation of carboxypeptidase N1 controls vascular patterning during zebrafish development. Sci Rep. 2017;7:1852 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we demonstrate that cpn1 has a critical role in the vascular development of zebrafish. We also reveal a fine-tune regulation of cpn1 that controls vascular patterning mediated by multiple signals. ..
- Li Z, Korzh V, Gong Z. Localized rbp4 expression in the yolk syncytial layer plays a role in yolk cell extension and early liver development. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:117 pubmed..YSL-expressed Rbp4 plays a role in formation of both yolk extension and liver bud, the latter may also require migration of liver progenitor cells. ..
- Matrone G, Wilson K, Mullins J, Tucker C, Denvir M. Temporal cohesion of the structural, functional and molecular characteristics of the developing zebrafish heart. Differentiation. 2015;89:117-27 pubmed publisher..This study provides important insights into the complex temporal relationship between structure and function of the developing zebrafish heart. ..
- Lindeman L, Reiner A, Mathavan S, Alestrom P, Collas P. Tiling histone H3 lysine 4 and 27 methylation in zebrafish using high-density microarrays. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15651 pubmed publisher..We have designed and validated for the scientific community a comprehensive high-resolution tiling microarray for investigations of epigenetic states in zebrafish, a widely used developmental and disease model organism. ..
- Gao M, Yan H, Yin R, Wang Q, Zhan Y, Yu M, et al. Hepassocin is required for hepatic outgrowth during zebrafish hepatogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;463:466-71 pubmed publisher..Further results showed that the HPS knockdown has no effect on the expression of the early endoderm marker gata6 and early hepatic marker hhex...
- Xu C, Fan Z, Muller P, Fogley R, DiBiase A, Trompouki E, et al. Nanog-like regulates endoderm formation through the Mxtx2-Nodal pathway. Dev Cell. 2012;22:625-38 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies a Nanog-like-Mxtx2-Nodal pathway and establishes a role for Nanog-like in regulating the formation of the extraembryonic tissue required for endoderm induction...
- Park J, Kim H, Kim J, Seo J, Chung K, Lee H, et al. Isolation of a ventricle-specific promoter for the zebrafish ventricular myosin heavy chain (vmhc) gene and its regulation by GATA factors during embryonic heart development. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1574-81 pubmed publisher..In addition, the vmhc promoter and the transgenic zebrafish (vmhc:gfp) are useful tools to study the formation and function of the ventricle. Developmental Dynamics 238:1574-1581, 2009. (c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Lin J, Biankin A, Horb M, Ghosh B, Prasad N, Yee N, et al. Differential requirement for ptf1a in endocrine and exocrine lineages of developing zebrafish pancreas. Dev Biol. 2004;270:474-86 pubmed..Together, these findings suggest the presence of distinct ptf1a-dependent and ptf1a-independent precursor populations in developing zebrafish pancreas. ..
- Zeng L, Carter A, Childs S. miR-145 directs intestinal maturation in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:17793-8 pubmed publisher..Loss or gain of miR-145 function phenocopies defects observed with altered gata6 expression and accordingly, we show that miR-145 directly represses gata6, and that gata6 is a major miR-145 ..
- Miyagi H, Nag K, Sultana N, Munakata K, Hirose S, Nakamura N. Characterization of the zebrafish cx36.7 gene promoter: Its regulation of cardiac-specific expression and skeletal muscle-specific repression. Gene. 2016;577:265-74 pubmed publisher..When gata4, gata5 and gata6 were simultaneously knocked down, the promoter activity was significantly decreased...
- Yang S, Aw S, Chang C, Korzh S, Korzh V, Peng J. Depletion of Bhmt elevates sonic hedgehog transcript level and increases ?-cell number in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2011;152:4706-17 pubmed publisher..Therefore, although there are still many intriguing questions to be answered, our finding may identify a novel function for Bhmt involving modulation of Shh signaling to control ?-cell development. ..
- Bolli N, Payne E, Rhodes J, Gjini E, Johnston A, Guo F, et al. cpsf1 is required for definitive HSC survival in zebrafish. Blood. 2011;117:3996-4007 pubmed publisher..These studies show that cpsf1 is essential for HSC survival and differentiation in caudal hematopoietic tissue. ..
- Chang C, Hu M, Zhu Z, Lo L, Chen J, Peng J. liver-enriched gene 1a and 1b encode novel secretory proteins essential for normal liver development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22910 pubmed publisher..Finally, we proved that Leg1 is a secretory protein. This intrigued us to propose that Leg1 might act as a novel secreted regulator that is essential for liver and other digestive organ development in zebrafish. ..
- Heicklen Klein A, Evans T. T-box binding sites are required for activity of a cardiac GATA-4 enhancer. Dev Biol. 2004;267:490-504 pubmed..Thus, GATA-4 regulatory elements control gene expression differentially along the rostro-caudal axis, and T-box binding elements in the GATA-4 promoter contribute to heart-specific expression. ..
- Rai K, Jafri I, Chidester S, James S, Karpf A, Cairns B, et al. Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4110-21 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner. ..
- Cheng P, Lin C, Wu C, Lu Y, Lin C, Chung C, et al. Zebrafish cdx1b regulates expression of downstream factors of Nodal signaling during early endoderm formation. Development. 2008;135:941-52 pubmed publisher..This study underscores a novel role of zebrafish cdx1b in the development of different digestive organs compared with its mammalian homologs. ..
- Wang Y, Luo Y, Hong Y, Peng J, Lo L. Ribosome biogenesis factor Bms1-like is essential for liver development in zebrafish. J Genet Genomics. 2012;39:451-62 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings demonstrate that Bms1l is necessary for zebrafish liver development...
- Shin D, Lee Y, Poss K, Stainier D. Restriction of hepatic competence by Fgf signaling. Development. 2011;138:1339-48 pubmed publisher..These data provide in vivo evidence that endodermal cells outside the liver-forming region retain hepatic competence and show that an extrinsic signal, Fgf10a, negatively regulates hepatic competence. ..
- Cadwalader E, Condic M, Yost H. 2-O-sulfotransferase regulates Wnt signaling, cell adhesion and cell cycle during zebrafish epiboly. Development. 2012;139:1296-305 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that 2-OST functions within the Wnt pathway, downstream of Wnt ligand signaling and upstream of Gsk3? and ?-catenin intracellular localization and function. ..
- Heicklen Klein A, McReynolds L, Evans T. Using the zebrafish model to study GATA transcription factors. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2005;16:95-106 pubmed
- Sandoval I, Delacruz R, Miller B, Hill S, Olson K, Gabriel A, et al. A metabolic switch controls intestinal differentiation downstream of Adenomatous polyposis coli (APC). elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate a novel role for apc in pyruvate metabolism and that pyruvate metabolism dictates intestinal cell fate and differentiation decisions downstream of apc. ..
- Schuff M, Siegel D, Philipp M, Bundschu K, Heymann N, Donow C, et al. Characterization of Danio rerio Nanog and functional comparison to Xenopus Vents. Stem Cells Dev. 2012;21:1225-38 pubmed publisher..Depletion of Nanog in zebrafish cannot be rescued by ectopic expression of Xvent, and Xvent depletion in Xenopus cannot be overcome by ectopic expression of zebrafish Nanog...
- Muncan V, Faro A, Haramis A, Hurlstone A, Wienholds E, van Es J, et al. T-cell factor 4 (Tcf7l2) maintains proliferative compartments in zebrafish intestine. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:966-73 pubmed..This study underscores the involvement of Tcf4 in maintaining proliferative self-renewal in the intestine throughout life. ..
- Qi F, Song J, Yang H, Gao W, Liu N, Zhang B, et al. Mmp23b promotes liver development and hepatocyte proliferation through the tumor necrosis factor pathway in zebrafish. Hepatology. 2010;52:2158-66 pubmed publisher..Because mmp23b/MMP23B is highly conserved, our findings in zebrafish warrant further investigation of its role in regulating liver development in mammals. ..
- Yin A, Korzh S, Winata C, Korzh V, Gong Z. Wnt signaling is required for early development of zebrafish swimbladder. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18431 pubmed publisher..Our functional analysis data indicated that Wnt/?-catenin signaling is required for swimbladder early development and we also provided evidence for the crosstalk between Wnt and Hh signaling in early swimbladder development. ..
- Simões F, Peterkin T, Patient R. Fgf differentially controls cross-antagonism between cardiac and haemangioblast regulators. Development. 2011;138:3235-45 pubmed publisher..We propose that elevation of Fgf signalling in the anterior haemangioblast territory could have led to its recruitment into the heart field during evolution, increasing the size of the heart. ..
- Sarmah B, Latimer A, Appel B, Wente S. Inositol polyphosphates regulate zebrafish left-right asymmetry. Dev Cell. 2005;9:133-45 pubmed..Our data suggest that the pathway for inositol hexakisphosphate production is a key regulator of asymmetric Ca(2+) flux during LR specification. ..
- Korzh S, Winata C, Zheng W, Yang S, Yin A, Ingham P, et al. The interaction of epithelial Ihha and mesenchymal Fgf10 in zebrafish esophageal and swimbladder development. Dev Biol. 2011;359:262-76 pubmed publisher..These findings contribute to the understanding of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions and highlight an interaction between Hh and Fgf signaling pathways during esophagus and swimbladder development. ..
- Hinits Y, Pan L, Walker C, Dowd J, Moens C, Hughes S. Zebrafish Mef2ca and Mef2cb are essential for both first and second heart field cardiomyocyte differentiation. Dev Biol. 2012;369:199-210 pubmed publisher..Mef2cb single mutants have a functional heart and are viable adults. Our results show that the key role of Mef2c in myocardial differentiation is conserved throughout the vertebrate heart. ..
- Liang D, Jia W, Li J, Li K, Zhao Q. Retinoic acid signaling plays a restrictive role in zebrafish primitive myelopoiesis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30865 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that RA signaling restricts zebrafish primitive myelopoiesis through acting downstream of gata4/5/6, upstream of, or parallel to, cloche, and upstream of scl. ..
- Shin D, Shin C, Tucker J, Ober E, Rentzsch F, Poss K, et al. Bmp and Fgf signaling are essential for liver specification in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:2041-50 pubmed
- Niu X, Gao C, Jan Lo L, Luo Y, Meng C, Hong J, et al. Sec13 safeguards the integrity of the endoplasmic reticulum and organogenesis of the digestive system in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2012;367:197-207 pubmed publisher..Our data provide the first direct genetic evidence that COPII function is essential for the organogenesis of the digestive system...
- Goi M, Childs S. Patterning mechanisms of the sub-intestinal venous plexus in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2016;409:114-128 pubmed publisher..However Vegf promotes sprouting of the predominantly venous plexus and Bmp promotes outgrowth of the structure. We propose that the SIVP is a unique model to understand novel mechanisms utilized in organ-specific angiogenesis. ..
- Novikov N, Evans T. Tmem88a mediates GATA-dependent specification of cardiomyocyte progenitors by restricting WNT signaling. Development. 2013;140:3787-98 pubmed publisher..We identified genes expressed in lateral mesoderm that are dysregulated in zebrafish when both gata5 and gata6 are depleted, causing a block to cardiomyocyte specification...
- Hölttä Vuori M, Salo V, Ohsaki Y, Suster M, Ikonen E. Alleviation of seipinopathy-related ER stress by triglyceride storage. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:1157-66 pubmed publisher..We propose that the decreased TG content contributes to the pathology induced by seipin N88S, and that rescuing TG levels may provide a novel therapeutic strategy in seipinopathy. ..
- Chang H, Wang W, Chiu C, Chen C, Wang Y, Chen Z, et al. Ftr82 Is Critical for Vascular Patterning during Zebrafish Development. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Together, we identify teleost-specific ftr82 as a vascular gene that plays an important role for vascular development in zebrafish. ..
- Kelly M, Astsaturov A, Rhodes J, Chernoff J. A Pak1/Erk signaling module acts through Gata6 to regulate cardiovascular development in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2014;29:350-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that activated Erk signals by phosphorylating the transcription factor Gata6 on a conserved serine residue to promote neural crest migration and proper formation of craniofacial structures, ..
- Latimer A, Appel B. Notch signaling regulates midline cell specification and proliferation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;298:392-402 pubmed..Together, our results indicate that Notch signaling regulates allocation of appropriate numbers of different midline cells by different mechanisms. ..
- Nadauld L, Shelton D, Chidester S, Yost H, Jones D. The zebrafish retinol dehydrogenase, rdh1l, is essential for intestinal development and is regulated by the tumor suppressor adenomatous polyposis coli. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30490-5 pubmed
- Lavoie H, Debeane F, Trinh Q, Turcotte J, Corbeil Girard L, Dicaire M, et al. Polymorphism, shared functions and convergent evolution of genes with sequences coding for polyalanine domains. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:2967-79 pubmed
- Reifers F, Walsh E, Leger S, Stainier D, Brand M. Induction and differentiation of the zebrafish heart requires fibroblast growth factor 8 (fgf8/acerebellar). Development. 2000;127:225-35 pubmed..Fgf8 is required for the earliest stages of nkx2.5 and gata4, but not gata6, expression in cardiac precursors...