Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gata5
Description: GATA binding protein 5
Alias: cb634, fau/gata5, gta5, transcription factor GATA-5, fau, faust
- Peterkin T, Gibson A, Patient R. GATA-6 maintains BMP-4 and Nkx2 expression during cardiomyocyte precursor maturation. EMBO J. 2003;22:4260-73 pubmed..We therefore conclude that proper maturation of cardiac mesoderm requires GATA-6, which functions to maintain BMP-4 and Nkx2 expression. ..
- Peterkin T, Gibson A, Patient R. Redundancy and evolution of GATA factor requirements in development of the myocardium. Dev Biol. 2007;311:623-35 pubmed..we show that GATA4 knockdown, for example, only affects cardiac marker expression in the absence of either GATA5 or GATA6...
- Aoki T, David N, Minchiotti G, Saint Etienne L, Dickmeis T, Persico G, et al. Molecular integration of casanova in the Nodal signalling pathway controlling endoderm formation. Development. 2002;129:275-86 pubmed..In zebrafish, downstream of Nodal signals, three genes encoding transcription factors (faust, bonnie and clyde and the recently identified gene casanova) are required for endoderm formation and ..
- Alexander J, Rothenberg M, Henry G, Stainier D. casanova plays an early and essential role in endoderm formation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 1999;215:343-57 pubmed..The early endodermal expression of genes such as axial, gata5, and fkd2 does not initiate in casanova mutants, indicating that the endoderm is defective from the onset of ..
- Lunde K, Belting H, Driever W. Zebrafish pou5f1/pou2, homolog of mammalian Oct4, functions in the endoderm specification cascade. Curr Biol. 2004;14:48-55 pubmed..We propose that pou5f1 plays an activating role in zebrafish endodermal development, where it maintains sox32 expression during gastrulation and acts with sox32 to induce sox17 expression in endodermal precursor cells. ..
- Chan T, Chao C, Wang H, Yu Y, Yuh C. Functional analysis of the evolutionarily conserved cis-regulatory elements on the sox17 gene in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;326:456-70 pubmed publisher..This information provides new insight into the complexity of endoderm formation and serves as a valuable resource for the establishment of a complete endoderm gene regulatory network. ..
- Matsui T, Raya A, Kawakami Y, Callol Massot C, Capdevila J, Rodriguez Esteban C, et al. Noncanonical Wnt signaling regulates midline convergence of organ primordia during zebrafish development. Genes Dev. 2005;19:164-75 pubmed..Overall, our results uncover a late, previously unexpected role of noncanonical Wnt signaling in the control of midline assembly of organ precursors during vertebrate embryo development. ..
- Reiter J, Alexander J, Rodaway A, Yelon D, Patient R, Holder N, et al. Gata5 is required for the development of the heart and endoderm in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2983-95 pubmed..we present evidence from both loss- and gain-of-function experiments that the zinc finger transcription factor Gata5 is an essential regulator of multiple aspects of heart and endoderm development...
- Fukui H, Terai K, Nakajima H, Chiba A, Fukuhara S, Mochizuki N. S1P-Yap1 signaling regulates endoderm formation required for cardiac precursor cell migration in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2014;31:128-36 pubmed publisher..Consistently, ctgfa morphants showed defects of the endodermal sheet and cardia bifida. Collectively, we show that S1pr2/Yap1-regulated ctgfa expression is essential for the proper endoderm formation required for CPC migration. ..
- Gillis W, St John J, Bowerman B, Schneider S. Whole genome duplications and expansion of the vertebrate GATA transcription factor gene family. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:207 pubmed publisher..The evolutionary analysis of GATA gene origins and relationships may inform understanding vertebrate GATA factor redundancies and specializations. ..
- Kao R, Rurik J, Farr G, Dong X, Majesky M, Maves L. Pbx4 is Required for the Temporal Onset of Zebrafish Myocardial Differentiation. J Dev Biol. 2015;3:93-111 pubmed..In summary, our data show that Pbx4 is required for the proper temporal activation of myocardial differentiation and establish a basis for studying additional roles of Pbx factors in heart development. ..
- Chng S, Ho L, Tian J, Reversade B. ELABELA: a hormone essential for heart development signals via the apelin receptor. Dev Cell. 2013;27:672-80 pubmed publisher..ela null embryos have impaired endoderm differentiation potential marked by reduced gata5 and sox17 expression...
- Veil M, Schaechtle M, Gao M, Kirner V, Buryanova L, Grethen R, et al. Maternal Nanog is required for zebrafish embryo architecture and for cell viability during gastrulation. Development. 2018;145: pubmed publisher..i> Our findings suggest that maternal Nanog coordinates several gene regulatory networks that shape the embryo during gastrulation. ..
- Wen B, Yuan H, Liu X, Wang H, Chen S, Chen Z, et al. GATA5 SUMOylation is indispensable for zebrafish cardiac development. Biochim Biophys Acta Gen Subj. 2017;1861:1691-1701 pubmed publisher..We used a zebrafish model to address the impact of SUMOylation on GATA5, an essential transcription factor in zebrafish cardiac development...
- Muncan V, Faro A, Haramis A, Hurlstone A, Wienholds E, van Es J, et al. T-cell factor 4 (Tcf7l2) maintains proliferative compartments in zebrafish intestine. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:966-73 pubmed..This study underscores the involvement of Tcf4 in maintaining proliferative self-renewal in the intestine throughout life. ..
- Zhao J, Lambert G, Meijer A, Rosa F. The transcription factor Vox represses endoderm development by interacting with Casanova and Pou2. Development. 2013;140:1090-9 pubmed publisher..Cell fate analysis further shows that Vox plays a key role downstream of BMP signals in regulating the capacity of Nodal to induce endoderm versus mesoderm by modulating the activity of the Casanova/Pou2 regulatory system. ..
- Fujii T, Tsunesumi S, Yamaguchi K, Watanabe S, Furukawa Y. Smyd3 is required for the development of cardiac and skeletal muscle in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23491 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Smyd3 plays an important role in the development of heart and skeletal muscle. ..
- Jia H, King I, Chopra S, Wan H, Ni T, Jiang C, et al. Vertebrate heart growth is regulated by functional antagonism between Gridlock and Gata5. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14008-13 pubmed..These Grl-induced cardiac effects are counterbalanced by the transcriptional activator Gata5 but not Gata4, which promotes cardiomyocyte expansion in the embryo...
- Zeng X, Wilm T, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Apelin and its receptor control heart field formation during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Cell. 2007;12:391-402 pubmed..Our results implicate GPCR signaling in movements of discrete cell populations that establish organ rudiments during vertebrate gastrulation. ..
- Miyagi H, Nag K, Sultana N, Munakata K, Hirose S, Nakamura N. Characterization of the zebrafish cx36.7 gene promoter: Its regulation of cardiac-specific expression and skeletal muscle-specific repression. Gene. 2016;577:265-74 pubmed publisher..When gata4, gata5 and gata6 were simultaneously knocked down, the promoter activity was significantly decreased...
- Chun C, Chen T. Microinjecting recombinant rainbow trout Ea4-peptide of pro-IGF-I into zebrafish embryos causes abnormal development in heart, red blood cells, and vasculature. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2007;145:39-44 pubmed..Furthermore, the mRNA levels of Nkx2.5, GATA5, VEGF, GATA1 and GATA2 genes in defective embryos were significantly reduced by rtEa4-peptide...
- Heicklen Klein A, McReynolds L, Evans T. Using the zebrafish model to study GATA transcription factors. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2005;16:95-106 pubmed
- Prill K, Windsor Reid P, Wohlgemuth S, Pilgrim D. Still Heart Encodes a Structural HMT, SMYD1b, with Chaperone-Like Function during Fast Muscle Sarcomere Assembly. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0142528 pubmed publisher..a lack of heart looping and chamber definition due to a lack of expression of heart morphogenesis factors gata4, gata5 and hand2...
- Marques S, Yelon D. Differential requirement for BMP signaling in atrial and ventricular lineages establishes cardiac chamber proportionality. Dev Biol. 2009;328:472-82 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies uncover a new role for BMP signaling in the regulation of chamber size, supporting a model in which differential reception of cardiac inductive signals establishes chamber proportion. ..
- Xu C, Fan Z, Muller P, Fogley R, DiBiase A, Trompouki E, et al. Nanog-like regulates endoderm formation through the Mxtx2-Nodal pathway. Dev Cell. 2012;22:625-38 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies a Nanog-like-Mxtx2-Nodal pathway and establishes a role for Nanog-like in regulating the formation of the extraembryonic tissue required for endoderm induction...
- Scott I, Masri B, D Amico L, Jin S, Jungblut B, Wehman A, et al. The g protein-coupled receptor agtrl1b regulates early development of myocardial progenitors. Dev Cell. 2007;12:403-13 pubmed..These results support a model in which agtrl1b regulates the migration of cells fated to form myocardial progenitors...
- Wang L, Liu Z, Lin H, Ma D, Tao Q, Liu F. Epigenetic regulation of left-right asymmetry by DNA methylation. EMBO J. 2017;36:2987-2997 pubmed publisher..1 regulates collective DFC migration through cadherin 1 (Cdh1). Taken together, our data uncover dynamic DNA methylation as an epigenetic mechanism to control LR determination during early embryogenesis in vertebrates. ..
- Wallace K, Pack M. Unique and conserved aspects of gut development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2003;255:12-29 pubmed..Specifically, we show that zebrafish faust/gata-5 is a functional ortholog of gata-4, a gene that is essential for the formation of the mammalian and avian ..
- Müller I, Melville D, Tanwar V, Rybski W, Mukherjee A, Shoemaker M, et al. Functional modeling in zebrafish demonstrates that the atrial-fibrillation-associated gene GREM2 regulates cardiac laterality, cardiomyocyte differentiation and atrial rhythm. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:332-41 pubmed publisher..These results implicate, for the first time, regulators of BMP signaling in human AF, providing mechanistic insights into the pathogenesis of the disease and identifying potential new therapeutic targets. ..
- Juarez M, Su F, Chun S, Kiel M, Lyons S. Distinct roles for SCL in erythroid specification and maturation in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:41636-44 pubmed..Our results revealed that Scl participates in multiple processes requiring different levels and functions. Further, we identified an Scl hypomorphic phenotype distinct from the null state. ..
- Langenbacher A, Nguyen C, Cavanaugh A, Huang J, Lu F, Chen J. The PAF1 complex differentially regulates cardiomyocyte specification. Dev Biol. 2011;353:19-28 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate critical but differential requirements for PAF1C components in zebrafish cardiac specification and heart morphogenesis. ..
- Xia Z, Wei J, Li Y, Wang J, Li W, Wang K, et al. Zebrafish slc30a10 deficiency revealed a novel compensatory mechanism of Atp2c1 in maintaining manganese homeostasis. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006892 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that either activating ATP2C1 or restoring the Mn-induced trafficking of ATP2C1 can reduce Mn accumulation, providing a possible target for treating HMDPC. ..
- Sultana N, Nag K, Hoshijima K, Laird D, Kawakami A, Hirose S. Zebrafish early cardiac connexin, Cx36.7/Ecx, regulates myofibril orientation and heart morphogenesis by establishing Nkx2.5 expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:4763-8 pubmed publisher..5 expression, which in turn promotes unidirectional, parallel alignment of myofibrils and the subsequent proper heart morphogenesis. ..
- Wang X, Zhou L, Jin J, Yang Y, Song G, Shen Y, et al. Knockdown of FABP3 impairs cardiac development in Zebra?sh through the retinoic acid signaling pathway. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:13826-41 pubmed publisher..As a result, these studies identify FABP3 as a candidate gene underlying the etiology of congenital heart defects. ..
- Rikin A, Evans T. The tbx/bHLH transcription factor mga regulates gata4 and organogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:535-47 pubmed publisher..Transcript profiling experiments show that mga functions early to influence key regulators of mesendoderm, including tbx6, cas, and sox17. ..
- Chopra S, Stroud D, Watanabe H, Bennett J, Burns C, Wells K, et al. Voltage-gated sodium channels are required for heart development in zebrafish. Circ Res. 2010;106:1342-50 pubmed publisher..These findings identify a novel and possibly nonelectrogenic role for cardiac sodium channels in heart development. ..
- Holtzinger A, Evans T. Gata5 and Gata6 are functionally redundant in zebrafish for specification of cardiomyocytes. Dev Biol. 2007;312:613-22 pubmed..However, this hypothesis had not been formally tested. In zebrafish, defects in gata5 can lead to a loss of myocardial tissue, but most embryos depleted for any single vertebrate Gata4/5/6 ..
- Lin X, Rinaldo L, Fazly A, Xu X. Depletion of Med10 enhances Wnt and suppresses Nodal signaling during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;303:536-48 pubmed..Thus, Med10 appears to be a unique MED subunit that differentially transduces information from distinct signaling pathways during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Matrone G, Wilson K, Maqsood S, Mullins J, Tucker C, Denvir M. CDK9 and its repressor LARP7 modulate cardiomyocyte proliferation and response to injury in the zebrafish heart. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:4560-71 pubmed publisher..The balance of Cdk9 and Larp7 plays a key role in cardiomyocyte proliferation and response to injury. Larp7 represents a potentially novel therapeutic target to promote cardiomyocyte proliferation and recovery from injury. ..
- Matrone G, Wilson K, Mullins J, Tucker C, Denvir M. Temporal cohesion of the structural, functional and molecular characteristics of the developing zebrafish heart. Differentiation. 2015;89:117-27 pubmed publisher..This study provides important insights into the complex temporal relationship between structure and function of the developing zebrafish heart. ..
- Reiter J, Kikuchi Y, Stainier D. Multiple roles for Gata5 in zebrafish endoderm formation. Development. 2001;128:125-35 pubmedPrevious studies have indicated that gata5, a zinc-finger transcription factor gene, is required for the development of the zebrafish gut tube...
- Fujii T, Tsunesumi S, Sagara H, Munakata M, Hisaki Y, Sekiya T, et al. Smyd5 plays pivotal roles in both primitive and definitive hematopoiesis during zebrafish embryogenesis. Sci Rep. 2016;6:29157 pubmed publisher..As the expression of myeloid markers was elevated in smyd5 loss-of-function zebrafish, we propose that Smyd5 plays critical roles in hematopoiesis. ..
- Anuppalle M, Maddirevula S, Huh T, Rhee M. Trb3 regulates LR axis formation in zebrafish embryos. Mol Cells. 2013;36:542-7 pubmed publisher..Over-expression of trb3 reduces the level of smurf1 transcripts, a member of TGF-signaling. We thus propose that Trb3 governs left-right (LR) axis patterning as a component of TGF-signaling in vertebrate embryonic development. ..
- Kikuchi K, Holdway J, Werdich A, Anderson R, Fang Y, Egnaczyk G, et al. Primary contribution to zebrafish heart regeneration by gata4(+) cardiomyocytes. Nature. 2010;464:601-5 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for promoting regeneration of the injured human heart. ..
- Hinits Y, Pan L, Walker C, Dowd J, Moens C, Hughes S. Zebrafish Mef2ca and Mef2cb are essential for both first and second heart field cardiomyocyte differentiation. Dev Biol. 2012;369:199-210 pubmed publisher..Mef2cb single mutants have a functional heart and are viable adults. Our results show that the key role of Mef2c in myocardial differentiation is conserved throughout the vertebrate heart. ..
- Khan A, Nakamoto A, Tai M, Saito S, Nakayama Y, Kawamura A, et al. Mesendoderm specification depends on the function of Pou2, the class V POU-type transcription factor, during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Growth Differ. 2012;54:686-701 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Pou2 functions in multiple aspects of vertebrate development, especially in the binary decision of the mesendoderm to mesoderm and endoderm in different ways depending on the developmental stage. ..
- Trinh L, Yelon D, Stainier D. Hand2 regulates epithelial formation during myocardial diferentiation. Curr Biol. 2005;15:441-6 pubmed..are integrated, we analyzed the role of two essential myocardial terminal-differentiation factors, Hand2 and Gata5, in myocardial epithelia formation...
- Zhou F, Xie F, Jin K, Zhang Z, Clerici M, Gao R, et al. USP4 inhibits SMAD4 monoubiquitination and promotes activin and BMP signaling. EMBO J. 2017;36:1623-1639 pubmed publisher..Moreover, zebrafish depleted of USP4 exhibited defective cell migration and slower coordinated cell movement known as epiboly, both of which could be rescued by SMAD4. Therefore, USP4 is a critical determinant of SMAD4 activity. ..
- Shehata B, Cundiff C, Lee K, Sabharwal A, Lalwani M, Davis A, et al. Exome sequencing of patients with histiocytoid cardiomyopathy reveals a de novo NDUFB11 mutation that plays a role in the pathogenesis of histiocytoid cardiomyopathy. Am J Med Genet A. 2015;167A:2114-21 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the novel NDUFB11 mutation may cause a complex 1 deficiency in synergy with additional unknown mtDNA variants. ..
- Tahara N, Bessho Y, Matsui T. Celf1 is required for formation of endoderm-derived organs in zebrafish. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:18009-23 pubmed publisher..RNA immunoprecipitation revealed that Celf1 binds to gata5 and cdc42 mRNAs which are known to be involved in cell growth and migration, respectively...
- Zhou J, Wang L, Zuo M, Wang X, Ahmed A, Chen Q, et al. Cardiac sodium channel regulator MOG1 regulates cardiac morphogenesis and rhythm. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21538 pubmed publisher..5, gata4 and hand2 involved in cardiac morphogenesis. These data for the first time revealed a novel role that MOG1, a nucleocytoplasmic transport protein, plays in cardiac physiology and development. ..
- Lin C, Tsai M, Liu Y, Lu Y, Chen Y, Lai Y, et al. Klf8 regulates left-right asymmetric patterning through modulation of Kupffer's vesicle morphogenesis and spaw expression. J Biomed Sci. 2017;24:45 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that zebrafish Klf8 regulates left-right asymmetric patterning by modulating both Kupffer's vesicle morphogenesis and spaw expression in the left LPM. ..
- Montero J, Carvalho L, Wilsch Bräuninger M, Kilian B, Mustafa C, Heisenberg C. Shield formation at the onset of zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2005;132:1187-98 pubmed
- Maves L, Tyler A, Moens C, Tapscott S. Pbx acts with Hand2 in early myocardial differentiation. Dev Biol. 2009;333:409-18 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate new roles for Pbx proteins in vertebrate cardiac development and also provide new insight into connections between the transcriptional regulation of skeletal and cardiac muscle differentiation programs. ..
- Novikov N, Evans T. Tmem88a mediates GATA-dependent specification of cardiomyocyte progenitors by restricting WNT signaling. Development. 2013;140:3787-98 pubmed publisher..We identified genes expressed in lateral mesoderm that are dysregulated in zebrafish when both gata5 and gata6 are depleted, causing a block to cardiomyocyte specification...
- Smith R, Riesenfeld S, Holloway A, Li Q, Murphy K, Feliciano N, et al. A compact, in vivo screen of all 6-mers reveals drivers of tissue-specific expression and guides synthetic regulatory element design. Genome Biol. 2013;14:R72 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we provide resources for designing compact, reverse-complement aware k-mer libraries. ..
- Espina J, Feijóo C, Solís C, Glavic A. csrnp1a is necessary for the development of primitive hematopoiesis progenitors in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53858 pubmed publisher..These and previous observations suggest an important role of Csnrps transcription factors in progenitor biology, both in the neural and hematopoietic linages. ..
- Lambaerts K, Van Dyck S, Mortier E, Ivarsson Y, Degeest G, Luyten A, et al. Syntenin, a syndecan adaptor and an Arf6 phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate effector, is essential for epiboly and gastrulation cell movements in zebrafish. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:1129-40 pubmed publisher..This study identifies the importance of the syntenin-syndecan-PIP2-Arf6 complex for the progression of fish epiboly and establishes its key role in directional cell movements during early development. ..
- Chun C, Tsai H, Chen T. Trout Ea4- or human Eb-peptide of pro-IGF-I disrupts heart, red blood cell, and vasculature development in zebrafish embryos. Mol Reprod Dev. 2006;73:1112-21 pubmed..These results suggest that overexpression of rtEa4 or hEb transgene in zebrafish embryos disrupts heart development, hematopoiesis, and vasculogenesis by reducing the levels of GATA 5, NKX2.5, GATA 1, GATA 2, and VEGF mRNA. ..
- Park J, Kim H, Kim J, Seo J, Chung K, Lee H, et al. Isolation of a ventricle-specific promoter for the zebrafish ventricular myosin heavy chain (vmhc) gene and its regulation by GATA factors during embryonic heart development. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1574-81 pubmed publisher..In addition, the vmhc promoter and the transgenic zebrafish (vmhc:gfp) are useful tools to study the formation and function of the ventricle. Developmental Dynamics 238:1574-1581, 2009. (c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Muto A, Calof A, Lander A, Schilling T. Multifactorial origins of heart and gut defects in nipbl-deficient zebrafish, a model of Cornelia de Lange Syndrome. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001181 pubmed publisher..as early as gastrulation, expression of genes involved in endodermal differentiation (sox32, sox17, foxa2, and gata5) and left-right patterning (spaw, lefty2, and dnah9) is altered...
- Chang N, Sun C, Gao L, Zhu D, Xu X, Zhu X, et al. Genome editing with RNA-guided Cas9 nuclease in zebrafish embryos. Cell Res. 2013;23:465-72 pubmed publisher..35% of site-specific somatic mutations were found when specific Cas/gRNA was used to target either etsrp, gata4 or gata5 in zebrafish embryos in vivo...
- Liu X, Xiong C, Jia S, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Wang Q, et al. Araf kinase antagonizes Nodal-Smad2 activity in mesendoderm development by directly phosphorylating the Smad2 linker region. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1728 pubmed publisher..Our findings open avenues for investigating the potential significance of Raf regulation of transforming growth factor ? signalling in versatile biological and pathological processes in the future. ..
- Lou X, Deshwar A, Crump J, Scott I. Smarcd3b and Gata5 promote a cardiac progenitor fate in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2011;138:3113-23 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of smarcd3b and gata5 in zebrafish results in an enlarged heart, whereas combinatorial loss of cBAF components inhibits cardiac ..
- Deshwar A, Onderisin J, Aleksandrova A, Yuan X, Burrows J, Scott I. Mespaa can potently induce cardiac fates in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2016;418:17-27 pubmed publisher..cells over-expressing mespaa are found to both exhibit unique cellular behaviors and activate the transcription of gata5 only after the completion of gastrulation...
- Yang J, Wang J, Zeng Z, Qiao L, Zhuang L, Jiang L, et al. Smad4 is required for the development of cardiac and skeletal muscle in zebrafish. Differentiation. 2016;92:161-168 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that smad4 plays an important role in heart and skeletal muscle development. ..
- Warga R, Kane D. One-eyed pinhead regulates cell motility independent of Squint/Cyclops signaling. Dev Biol. 2003;261:391-411 pubmed..We conclude that, in addition to a role in Nodal signaling, One-eyed pinhead is required for aspects of cell movement, possibly by regulating cell adhesion. ..
- Lin X, Xu X. Distinct functions of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in KV development and cardiac asymmetry. Development. 2009;136:207-17 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results reveal a previously unexpected role of Wnt-Gata4 signaling in the control of asymmetric signal propagation from the LPM to the cardiac field. ..