Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gata4
Description: GATA binding protein 4
Alias: gata, transcription factor GATA-4
- Alexander J, Rothenberg M, Henry G, Stainier D. casanova plays an early and essential role in endoderm formation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 1999;215:343-57 pubmed
- Waxman J, Keegan B, Roberts R, Poss K, Yelon D. Hoxb5b acts downstream of retinoic acid signaling in the forelimb field to restrict heart field potential in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2008;15:923-34 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results offer new perspectives on the mechanisms regulating organ size and the possible causes of congenital syndromes affecting both the heart and forelimb. ..
- Waxman J, Yelon D. Increased Hox activity mimics the teratogenic effects of excess retinoic acid signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1207-13 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Hox activity mediates the differential effects of ectopic RA on atrial and ventricular cardiomyocytes and may underlie the teratogenic effects of RA on the heart. ..
- Zhang Y, Wang C, Huang L, Chen R, Chen Y, Zuo Z. Low-level pyrene exposure causes cardiac toxicity in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2012;114-115:119-24 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicated that embryonic exposure of zebrafish to low-level environmental pyrene disrupt normal cardiac development and alter expression of defective cardiac differentiation related genes. ..
- Reifers F, Walsh E, Leger S, Stainier D, Brand M. Induction and differentiation of the zebrafish heart requires fibroblast growth factor 8 (fgf8/acerebellar). Development. 2000;127:225-35 pubmedVertebrate heart development is initiated from bilateral lateral plate mesoderm that expresses the Nkx2.5 and GATA4 transcription factors, but the extracellular signals specifying heart precursor gene expression are not known...
- Heicklen Klein A, Evans T. T-box binding sites are required for activity of a cardiac GATA-4 enhancer. Dev Biol. 2004;267:490-504 pubmedb>GATA-4 is a key regulator of a poorly understood cardiac morphogenetic program. We used genomic regions of the GATA-4 gene to target GFP expression to the developing heart of living fish...
- Peterkin T, Gibson A, Patient R. GATA-6 maintains BMP-4 and Nkx2 expression during cardiomyocyte precursor maturation. EMBO J. 2003;22:4260-73 pubmedb>GATA-6 is expressed in presumptive cardiac mesoderm before gastrulation, but its role in heart development has been unclear...
- Serbedzija G, Chen J, Fishman M. Regulation in the heart field of zebrafish. Development. 1998;125:1095-101 pubmed..Normally they give rise to head mesenchyme. They share with cardiac progenitors early expression of GATA 4...
- Maves L, Tyler A, Moens C, Tapscott S. Pbx acts with Hand2 in early myocardial differentiation. Dev Biol. 2009;333:409-18 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate new roles for Pbx proteins in vertebrate cardiac development and also provide new insight into connections between the transcriptional regulation of skeletal and cardiac muscle differentiation programs. ..
- Palpant N, Hofsteen P, Pabon L, Reinecke H, Murry C. Cardiac development in zebrafish and human embryonic stem cells is inhibited by exposure to tobacco cigarettes and e-cigarettes. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0126259 pubmed publisher..Tobacco cigarettes are more toxic than E-cigarettes and exhibit a broader spectrum of cardiac developmental defects. ..
- Matrone G, Wilson K, Mullins J, Tucker C, Denvir M. Temporal cohesion of the structural, functional and molecular characteristics of the developing zebrafish heart. Differentiation. 2015;89:117-27 pubmed publisher..This study provides important insights into the complex temporal relationship between structure and function of the developing zebrafish heart. ..
- Novikov N, Evans T. Tmem88a mediates GATA-dependent specification of cardiomyocyte progenitors by restricting WNT signaling. Development. 2013;140:3787-98 pubmed publisher..Tmem88a is a novel component of the regulatory mechanism controlling the second phase of biphasic WNT activity essential for embryonic cardiogenesis. ..
- Matrone G, Wilson K, Maqsood S, Mullins J, Tucker C, Denvir M. CDK9 and its repressor LARP7 modulate cardiomyocyte proliferation and response to injury in the zebrafish heart. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:4560-71 pubmed publisher..The balance of Cdk9 and Larp7 plays a key role in cardiomyocyte proliferation and response to injury. Larp7 represents a potentially novel therapeutic target to promote cardiomyocyte proliferation and recovery from injury. ..
- Rawnsley D, Xiao J, Lee J, Liu X, Mericko Ishizuka P, Kumar V, et al. The transcription factor Atonal homolog 8 regulates Gata4 and Friend of Gata-2 during vertebrate development. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:24429-40 pubmed publisher..Genetic studies reveal that Atoh8 interacts specifically with Gata4 and Fog1 during development of the heart and swim bladder in the fish...
- Langenbacher A, Nguyen C, Cavanaugh A, Huang J, Lu F, Chen J. The PAF1 complex differentially regulates cardiomyocyte specification. Dev Biol. 2011;353:19-28 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate critical but differential requirements for PAF1C components in zebrafish cardiac specification and heart morphogenesis. ..
- Lavoie H, Debeane F, Trinh Q, Turcotte J, Corbeil Girard L, Dicaire M, et al. Polymorphism, shared functions and convergent evolution of genes with sequences coding for polyalanine domains. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:2967-79 pubmed..Phylogenetic analyses of HOX, GATA and EVX protein families demonstrate that polyalanine domains arose independently in different members of these ..
- Rikin A, Evans T. The tbx/bHLH transcription factor mga regulates gata4 and organogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:535-47 pubmed publisher..The heart and gut phenotypes are similar to those described previously for loss of gata4, and the mga morphant shows increased levels of gata4 transcripts in lateral mesoderm...
- Li M, Hu X, Zhu J, Zhu C, Zhu S, Liu X, et al. Overexpression of miR-19b impairs cardiac development in zebrafish by targeting ctnnb1. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2014;33:1988-2002 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that miR-19b regulates laterality development and heart looping in zebrafish embryos by targeting ctnnb1. ..
- Tong X, Zu Y, Li Z, Li W, Ying L, Yang J, et al. Kctd10 regulates heart morphogenesis by repressing the transcriptional activity of Tbx5a in zebrafish. Nat Commun. 2014;5:3153 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a new essential factor for cardiac development and suggest that KCTD10 could be considered as a new causative gene of congenital heart disease...
- Zhou J, Wang L, Zuo M, Wang X, Ahmed A, Chen Q, et al. Cardiac sodium channel regulator MOG1 regulates cardiac morphogenesis and rhythm. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21538 pubmed publisher..5, gata4 and hand2 involved in cardiac morphogenesis...
- Lin X, Xu X. Distinct functions of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in KV development and cardiac asymmetry. Development. 2009;136:207-17 pubmed publisher..Molecular analysis identifies Gata4 as the downstream target of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in the cardiac field that responds to the Wnt/beta-catenin ..
- Karra R, Knecht A, Kikuchi K, Poss K. Myocardial NF-ÎºB activation is essential for zebrafish heart regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:13255-60 pubmed publisher..by cardiomyocyte proliferation and reactivation of a cardiac developmental program, as evidenced by induction of gata4 regulatory sequences in regenerating cardiomyocytes...
- Park J, Kim H, Kim J, Seo J, Chung K, Lee H, et al. Isolation of a ventricle-specific promoter for the zebrafish ventricular myosin heavy chain (vmhc) gene and its regulation by GATA factors during embryonic heart development. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1574-81 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of GATA-binding proteins 4 and 6 (GATA4 and -6) by their antisense morpholino oligonucleotides resulted in reduced green fluorescent protein (GFP) ..
- Patil P, Kibiryeva N, Uechi T, Marshall J, O Brien J, Artman M, et al. scaRNAs regulate splicing and vertebrate heart development. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1852:1619-29 pubmed publisher..g., GATA4, NOTCH2, DAAM1, DICER1, MBNL1 and MBNL2)...
- Shin D, Lee Y, Poss K, Stainier D. Restriction of hepatic competence by Fgf signaling. Development. 2011;138:1339-48 pubmed publisher..These data provide in vivo evidence that endodermal cells outside the liver-forming region retain hepatic competence and show that an extrinsic signal, Fgf10a, negatively regulates hepatic competence. ..
- Ueno S, Weidinger G, Osugi T, Kohn A, Golob J, Pabon L, et al. Biphasic role for Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in cardiac specification in zebrafish and embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:9685-90 pubmed..Thus, Wnt/beta-catenin signaling promotes cardiac differentiation at early developmental stages and inhibits it later. Control of this pathway may promote derivation of cardiomyocytes for basic research and cell therapy applications. ..
- Shin D, Shin C, Tucker J, Ober E, Rentzsch F, Poss K, et al. Bmp and Fgf signaling are essential for liver specification in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:2041-50 pubmed
- Chang N, Sun C, Gao L, Zhu D, Xu X, Zhu X, et al. Genome editing with RNA-guided Cas9 nuclease in zebrafish embryos. Cell Res. 2013;23:465-72 pubmed publisher..Over 35% of site-specific somatic mutations were found when specific Cas/gRNA was used to target either etsrp, gata4 or gata5 in zebrafish embryos in vivo...
- Rothschild S, Easley C, Francescatto L, Lister J, Garrity D, Tombes R. Tbx5-mediated expression of Ca(2+)/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II is necessary for zebrafish cardiac and pectoral fin morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;330:175-84 pubmed publisher..These findings not only identify a morphogenic target for Ca(2+) during heart development, but support implied roles for CaMK-II in adult heart remodeling. ..
- Rydeen A, Waxman J. Cyp26 enzymes are required to balance the cardiac and vascular lineages within the anterior lateral plate mesoderm. Development. 2014;141:1638-48 pubmed publisher..Our study provides novel insight into the earliest consequences of Cyp26 deficiency that underlie cardiovascular malformations in vertebrate embryos. ..
- Miyasaka K, Kida Y, Sato T, Minami M, Ogura T. Csrp1 regulates dynamic cell movements of the mesendoderm and cardiac mesoderm through interactions with Dishevelled and Diversin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:11274-9 pubmed..Our data highlight Csrp1 as a key molecule of the noncanonical Wnt pathway, which orchestrates cell behaviors during dynamic morphogenetic movements of tissues and organs. ..
- Liu H, Chu T, Chen L, Gui W, Zhu G. In vivo cardiovascular toxicity induced by acetochlor in zebrafish larvae. Chemosphere. 2017;181:600-608 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the mRNA expression level of Nkx2.5 and Gata4 related to induction of cardiac program were down-regulated significantly by quantitative real-time polymerase ..
- Kao R, Rurik J, Farr G, Dong X, Majesky M, Maves L. Pbx4 is Required for the Temporal Onset of Zebrafish Myocardial Differentiation. J Dev Biol. 2015;3:93-111 pubmed..In summary, our data show that Pbx4 is required for the proper temporal activation of myocardial differentiation and establish a basis for studying additional roles of Pbx factors in heart development. ..
- Wen B, Yuan H, Liu X, Wang H, Chen S, Chen Z, et al. GATA5 SUMOylation is indispensable for zebrafish cardiac development. Biochim Biophys Acta Gen Subj. 2017;1861:1691-1701 pubmed publisher..GATA5 SUMOylation is indispensable for early zebrafish cardiac development. Our studies highlight the potential importance of transcription factor SUMOylation in cardiac development. ..
- Paige S, Thomas S, Stoick Cooper C, Wang H, Maves L, Sandstrom R, et al. A temporal chromatin signature in human embryonic stem cells identifies regulators of cardiac development. Cell. 2012;151:221-32 pubmed publisher..Temporal chromatin signatures should be broadly applicable to other models of stem cell differentiation to identify regulators and provide key insights into major developmental decisions. ..
- Liang D, Jia W, Li J, Li K, Zhao Q. Retinoic acid signaling plays a restrictive role in zebrafish primitive myelopoiesis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30865 pubmed publisher..However, the RA treatment blocks the increased primitive myelopoiesis caused by overexpressing gata4/6 whereas the abolished primitive myelopoiesis in gata4/5/6 depleted embryos is well rescued by 4-diethylamino-..
- Jia H, King I, Chopra S, Wan H, Ni T, Jiang C, et al. Vertebrate heart growth is regulated by functional antagonism between Gridlock and Gata5. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14008-13 pubmed..These Grl-induced cardiac effects are counterbalanced by the transcriptional activator Gata5 but not Gata4, which promotes cardiomyocyte expansion in the embryo...
- Zhao L, Borikova A, Ben Yair R, Guner Ataman B, Macrae C, Lee R, et al. Notch signaling regulates cardiomyocyte proliferation during zebrafish heart regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:1403-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data uncover the exquisite sensitivity of regenerative cardiomyocyte proliferation to perturbations in Notch signaling. ..
- Shi X, Verma S, Yun J, Brand Arzamendi K, Singh K, Liu X, et al. Effect of empagliflozin on cardiac biomarkers in a zebrafish model of heart failure: clues to the EMPA-REG OUTCOME trial?. Mol Cell Biochem. 2017;433:97-102 pubmed publisher..These findings provide important translational clues to the cardiovascular benefits documented in the EMPA-REG OUTCOME study. ..
- Peng X, Li G, Wang Y, Zhuang J, Luo R, Chen J, et al. CXXC5 is required for cardiac looping relating to TGF? signaling pathway in zebrafish. Int J Cardiol. 2016;214:246-53 pubmed publisher..This finding suggested that CXXC5 may serve as a possible marker that has potential diagnostic and prognostic value in fetus with congenital heart disease. ..
- Qu X, Jia H, Garrity D, Tompkins K, Batts L, Appel B, et al. Ndrg4 is required for normal myocyte proliferation during early cardiac development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2008;317:486-96 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies reveal an essential role of ndrg4 in regulating proliferation and growth of cardiomyocytes, suggesting that ndrg4 may function downstream of tbx5 during heart development and growth. ..
- Molina G, Vogt A, Bakan A, Dai W, Queiroz de Oliveira P, Znosko W, et al. Zebrafish chemical screening reveals an inhibitor of Dusp6 that expands cardiac cell lineages. Nat Chem Biol. 2009;5:680-7 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the power of in vivo zebrafish chemical screens to identify new compounds targeting Dusp6, a component of the FGF signaling pathway that has eluded traditional high-throughput in vitro screens...
- Lam N, Currie P, Lieschke G, Rosenthal N, Kaye D. Nerve growth factor stimulates cardiac regeneration via cardiomyocyte proliferation in experimental heart failure. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e53210 pubmed publisher..Taken together the study suggests that NGF stimulates a regenerative response in the failing zebrafish heart, mediated by stimulation of cardiomyocyte proliferation. ..
- Chen Y, Wu B, Chu C, Cheng C, Han H, Chen G, et al. Identification and characterization of alternative promoters of zebrafish Rtn-4/Nogo genes in cultured cells and zebrafish embryos. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:4635-50 pubmed publisher..Several GATA and E-box motifs are found in these promoter regions. Using morpholino knockdown experiments, GATA4 and GATA6 were involved in the control of P1 promoter activity in the liver and intestine, while Myf5 and MyoD for ..
- Rossell R, Chen C, Dai R, Howard J, Hochgeschwender U, Jarvis E. Mammalian genes induce partially reprogrammed pluripotent stem cells in non-mammalian vertebrate and invertebrate species. elife. 2013;2:e00036 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the stem-cell state may be highly conserved across a wide phylogenetic range. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00036.001...
- Griffin K, Stoller J, Gibson M, Chen S, Yelon D, Stainier D, et al. A conserved role for H15-related T-box transcription factors in zebrafish and Drosophila heart formation. Dev Biol. 2000;218:235-47 pubmed..hrT is coexpressed with gata4 and nkx2...
- Xiao Y, Gao M, Gao L, Zhao Y, Hong Q, Li Z, et al. Directed Differentiation of Zebrafish Pluripotent Embryonic Cells to Functional Cardiomyocytes. Stem Cell Reports. 2016;7:370-382 pubmed publisher..The technology provides a new platform for the study of heart development and regeneration, in addition to drug discovery, disease modeling, and assessment of cardiotoxic agents. ..
- Wang Y, Qian L, Liu D, Yao L, Jiang Q, Yu Z, et al. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 acts upstream of myocyte-specific enhancer factor 2a to control embryonic cardiac contractility. Cardiovasc Res. 2007;74:290-303 pubmed
- Wilson K, Baily J, Tucker C, Matrone G, Vass S, Moran C, et al. Early-life perturbations in glucocorticoid activity impacts on the structure, function and molecular composition of the adult zebrafish (Danio rerio) heart. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015;414:120-31 pubmed publisher..07Â Î¼g/mg vs controls 0.63Â Â±Â 0.06Â Î¼g/mg, pÂ =Â 0.0007), had increased vmhc and gr mRNA levels. Perturbations in GR activity during embryonic development results in short and long-term alterations in the heart. ..
- Fukuda K, Kikuchi Y. Endoderm development in vertebrates: fate mapping, induction and regional specification. Dev Growth Differ. 2005;47:343-55 pubmed..We discuss the classical fate mapping of the endoderm and the more recent progress in characterizing its induction, segregation and regional specification. ..
- Prill K, Windsor Reid P, Wohlgemuth S, Pilgrim D. Still Heart Encodes a Structural HMT, SMYD1b, with Chaperone-Like Function during Fast Muscle Sarcomere Assembly. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0142528 pubmed publisher..show a lack of heart looping and chamber definition due to a lack of expression of heart morphogenesis factors gata4, gata5 and hand2...
- Meng Z, Liu W, Xia Y, Yin H, Zhang C, Su D, et al. The pro-inflammatory signalling regulator Stat4 promotes vasculogenesis of great vessels derived from endothelial precursors. Nat Commun. 2017;8:14640 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our study establishes a role for Stat4 in zebrafish great vessel development, and suggests that Stat4 may serve as a therapeutic target for GV defects. ..
- Schuff M, Siegel D, Philipp M, Bundschu K, Heymann N, Donow C, et al. Characterization of Danio rerio Nanog and functional comparison to Xenopus Vents. Stem Cells Dev. 2012;21:1225-38 pubmed publisher..Depletion of Nanog in zebrafish cannot be rescued by ectopic expression of Xvent, and Xvent depletion in Xenopus cannot be overcome by ectopic expression of zebrafish Nanog...
- Torregroza I, Holtzinger A, Mendelson K, Liu T, Hla T, Evans T. Regulation of a vascular plexus by gata4 is mediated in zebrafish through the chemokine sdf1a. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46844 pubmed publisherUsing the zebrafish model we describe a previously unrecognized requirement for the transcription factor gata4 controlling embryonic angiogenesis...
- Ren L, Tan X, Xiong Y, Xu K, Zhou Y, Zhong H, et al. Transcriptome analysis reveals positive selection on the divergent between topmouth culter and zebrafish. Gene. 2014;552:265-71 pubmed publisher..Based on Ks ratios, date of the separation between topmouth culter and zebrafish is approximately 64 million years ago. We conclude that natural selection acts in diversifying the genomes between topmouth culter and zebrafish. ..
- Znosko W, Yu S, Thomas K, Molina G, Li C, Tsang W, et al. Overlapping functions of Pea3 ETS transcription factors in FGF signaling during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2010;342:11-25 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrated the interaction of Pea3 ETS factors with the Dusp6 promoter both in vitro and in vivo. These results revealed the requirement of ETS factors in transducing FGF signals in developmental processes. ..
- Miyagi H, Nag K, Sultana N, Munakata K, Hirose S, Nakamura N. Characterization of the zebrafish cx36.7 gene promoter: Its regulation of cardiac-specific expression and skeletal muscle-specific repression. Gene. 2016;577:265-74 pubmed publisher..two of which are responsible for promoter activation in the embryonic heart and serve as binding sites for gata4. When gata4, gata5 and gata6 were simultaneously knocked down, the promoter activity was significantly decreased...
- Wu M, Wu D, Wang C, Guo Z, Li B, Zuo Z. Hexabromocyclododecane exposure induces cardiac hypertrophy and arrhythmia by inhibiting miR-1 expression via up-regulation of the homeobox gene Nkx2.5. J Hazard Mater. 2016;302:304-313 pubmed publisher..HBCD exposure induced an arrhythmogenic disorder, which was triggered by the imbalance of Ryr2, Serca2a and Ncx1 expression, inducing Ca(2+) overload in the sarcoplasmic reticulum and high Ca(2+)-ATPase activities in the H9C2 cells. ..
- Gillis W, St John J, Bowerman B, Schneider S. Whole genome duplications and expansion of the vertebrate GATA transcription factor gene family. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:207 pubmed publisherb>GATA transcription factors influence many developmental processes, including the specification of embryonic germ layers...
- Li J, Qi M, Li C, Shi D, Zhang D, Xie D, et al. Tom70 serves as a molecular switch to determine pathological cardiac hypertrophy. Cell Res. 2014;24:977-93 pubmed publisher..Together, these results reveal that Tom70 acts as a molecular switch that orchestrates hypertrophic stresses and mitochondrial responses to determine pathological cardiac hypertrophy. ..