Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gata3
Description: GATA binding protein 3
Alias: cb550, gta3, transcription factor GATA-3, GATA-binding factor 3
- Gillis W, St John J, Bowerman B, Schneider S. Whole genome duplications and expansion of the vertebrate GATA transcription factor gene family. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:207 pubmed publisher..The evolutionary analysis of GATA gene origins and relationships may inform understanding vertebrate GATA factor redundancies and specializations. ..
- Ghosh B, Benyumov A, Ghosh P, Jia Y, Avdulov S, Dahlberg P, et al. Nontoxic chemical interdiction of the epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition by targeting cap-dependent translation. ACS Chem Biol. 2009;4:367-77 pubmed publisher..Our work provides strong motivation for the continued development of compounds designed to normalize cap-dependent translation as novel chemo-preventive agents and therapeutics for cancer and fibrosis. ..
- Seredick S, Hutchinson S, Van Ryswyk L, Talbot J, Eisen J. Lhx3 and Lhx4 suppress Kolmer-Agduhr interneuron characteristics within zebrafish axial motoneurons. Development. 2014;141:3900-9 pubmed publisher..In conjunction with our previous work, these data reveal that distinct transcription factor families are deployed in post-mitotic MNs to unequivocally assign MN fate and suppress the development of alternative pMN-derived IN fates. ..
- Diep C, Peng Z, Ukah T, Kelly P, Daigle R, Davidson A. Development of the zebrafish mesonephros. Genesis. 2015;53:257-69 pubmed publisher..We find that the pronephros acts as a scaffold for the mesonephros, where new nephrons fuse with the distal segments of the pronephric tubules to form the final branching network that characterizes the adult zebrafish kidney. ..
- Soza Ried C, Hess I, Netuschil N, Schorpp M, Boehm T. Essential role of c-myb in definitive hematopoiesis is evolutionarily conserved. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:17304-8 pubmed publisher..Our results, therefore, suggest that the key role of c-myb in definitive hematopoiesis is similar to that in mammals and must have become established early in vertebrate evolution. ..
- Yao D, Zhao F, Wu Y, Wang J, Dong W, Zhao J, et al. Dissecting the differentiation process of the preplacodal ectoderm in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1338-51 pubmed publisher..caudal PPR fates; otherwise, the development of caudal PPR identity is hindered due to the persistent presence of gata3 mRNA...
- Sugano Y, Lindenmeyer M, Auberger I, Ziegler U, Segerer S, Cohen C, et al. The Rho-GTPase binding protein IQGAP2 is required for the glomerular filtration barrier. Kidney Int. 2015;88:1047-56 pubmed publisher..Thus, IQGAP2 is a Rho-GTPase binding protein, highly abundant in human and zebrafish podocytes, which controls normal podocyte structure and function as evidenced in the zebrafish pronephros. ..
- Yang C, Li Z, Kang W, Tian Y, Yan Y, Chen W. TET1 and TET3 are essential in induction of Th2-type immunity partly through regulation of IL-4/13A expression in zebrafish model. Gene. 2016;591:201-208 pubmed publisher..This is the first report to show that TET family members play indispensable roles in Th2-type immunity, indicating an epigenetic modulation manner involved in adaptive immune regulations and responses. ..
- Xu C, Fan Z, Muller P, Fogley R, DiBiase A, Trompouki E, et al. Nanog-like regulates endoderm formation through the Mxtx2-Nodal pathway. Dev Cell. 2012;22:625-38 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies a Nanog-like-Mxtx2-Nodal pathway and establishes a role for Nanog-like in regulating the formation of the extraembryonic tissue required for endoderm induction...
- Read E, Rodaway A, Neave B, Brandon N, Holder N, Patient R, et al. Evidence for non-axial A/P patterning in the nonneural ectoderm of Xenopus and zebrafish pregastrula embryos. Int J Dev Biol. 1998;42:763-74 pubmed
- Sheehan Rooney K, Swartz M, Zhao F, Liu D, Eberhart J. Ahsa1 and Hsp90 activity confers more severe craniofacial phenotypes in a zebrafish model of hypoparathyroidism, sensorineural deafness and renal dysplasia (HDR). Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:1285-91 pubmed publisher..Mutation of the transcription factor GATA3 in humans causes the highly variable hypoparathyroidism, sensorineural deafness and renal dysplasia (HDR) syndrome...
- Kyritsis N, Kizil C, Zocher S, Kroehne V, Kaslin J, Freudenreich D, et al. Acute inflammation initiates the regenerative response in the adult zebrafish brain. Science. 2012;338:1353-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results demonstrate that in zebrafish, in contrast to mammals, inflammation is a positive regulator of neuronal regeneration in the central nervous system. ..
- Bingham S, Chaudhari S, Vanderlaan G, Itoh M, Chitnis A, Chandrasekhar A. Neurogenic phenotype of mind bomb mutants leads to severe patterning defects in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:451-63 pubmed
- Xu X, Hu J, Ma J, Nie L, Shao T, Xiang L, et al. Essential Roles of TIM-1 and TIM-4 Homologs in Adaptive Humoral Immunity in a Zebrafish Model. J Immunol. 2016;196:1686-99 pubmed publisher..This study enriches the current knowledge on TIM-mediated immunity and provides a cross-species understanding of the evolutionary history of costimulatory systems throughout vertebrate evolution. ..
- Rothschild S, Francescatto L, Drummond I, Tombes R. CaMK-II is a PKD2 target that promotes pronephric kidney development and stabilizes cilia. Development. 2011;138:3387-97 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CaMK-II is a crucial effector of PKD2 Ca²? that both promotes morphogenesis of the pronephric kidney and stabilizes primary cloacal cilia. ..
- Schock E, Ford W, Midgley K, Fader J, Giavasis M, McWhorter M. The effects of carbaryl on the development of zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Zebrafish. 2012;9:169-78 pubmed publisher..Our study, which was conducted solely by undergraduates at a liberal arts college, indicates that carbaryl may be detrimental to the development of nontarget species. ..
- Sapede D, Pujades C. Hedgehog signaling governs the development of otic sensory epithelium and its associated innervation in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2010;30:3612-23 pubmed publisher..These results lead to a model in which Hh orients functionally the development of inner ear towards an auditory fate in all vertebrate species. ..
- Katz S, Cussigh D, Urbán N, Blomfield I, Guillemot F, Bally Cuif L, et al. A Nuclear Role for miR-9 and Argonaute Proteins in Balancing Quiescent and Activated Neural Stem Cell States. Cell Rep. 2016;17:1383-1398 pubmed publisher..We propose a conserved non-canonical role for nuclear miR-9/Agos in controlling the balance between NSC quiescence and activation, a key step in maintaining adult germinal pools. ..
- Rothschild S, Lahvic J, Francescatto L, McLeod J, Burgess S, Tombes R. CaMK-II activation is essential for zebrafish inner ear development and acts through Delta-Notch signaling. Dev Biol. 2013;381:179-88 pubmed publisher..Continued expression and activation of CaMK-II in maculae and cristae in older embryos suggests continued roles in auditory sensory maturation and transduction. ..
- Li E, Truong D, Hallett S, Mukherjee K, Schutte B, Liao E. Rapid functional analysis of computationally complex rare human IRF6 gene variants using a novel zebrafish model. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007009 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it unlocked the possibility for characterizing yet undiscovered human IRF6 missense gene variants from orofacial cleft patients, and illustrated a generalizable functional genomics paradigm in personalized medicine. ..
- Bertrand J, Kim A, Teng S, Traver D. CD41+ cmyb+ precursors colonize the zebrafish pronephros by a novel migration route to initiate adult hematopoiesis. Development. 2008;135:1853-62 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies suggest that expression of CD41 and cmyb marks nascent HSCs in the zebrafish AGM, and provide the means to further dissect HSC generation and function in the early vertebrate embryo. ..
- Peng C, Yajima H, Burns C, Zon L, Sisodia S, Pfaff S, et al. Notch and MAML signaling drives Scl-dependent interneuron diversity in the spinal cord. Neuron. 2007;53:813-27 pubmed..Thus, our study provides insight into the cell-extrinsic signaling that controls combinatorial transcription factor profiles involved in regulating the process of interneuron subtype diversification. ..
- Coutinho P, Pavlou S, Bhatia S, Chalmers K, Kleinjan D, van Heyningen V. Discovery and assessment of conserved Pax6 target genes and enhancers. Genome Res. 2011;21:1349-59 pubmed publisher..We have identified several novel direct targets, including some putative disease genes, among them Foxp2; these will allow further dissection of Pax6 function in development and disease. ..
- Heicklen Klein A, McReynolds L, Evans T. Using the zebrafish model to study GATA transcription factors. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2005;16:95-106 pubmed
- May M, Hwang K, MILES J, Williams C, Niranjan T, Kahler S, et al. ZC4H2, an XLID gene, is required for the generation of a specific subset of CNS interneurons. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:4848-61 pubmed publisher..Our findings clearly support ZC4H2 as a novel XLID gene with a required function in interneuron development. Loss of function of ZC4H2 thus likely results in altered connectivity of many brain and spinal circuits. ..
- He L, Xu W, Jing Y, Wu M, Song S, Cao Y, et al. Yes-associated protein (Yap) is necessary for ciliogenesis and morphogenesis during pronephros development in zebrafish (Danio Rerio). Int J Biol Sci. 2015;11:935-47 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data reveals that Yap is required for pronephric duct integrity, maintenance of baso-lateral cell polarity, and ciliogenesis during zebrafish kidney development. ..
- Rodriguez Viales R, Diotel N, Ferg M, Armant O, Eich J, Alunni A, et al. The helix-loop-helix protein id1 controls stem cell proliferation during regenerative neurogenesis in the adult zebrafish telencephalon. Stem Cells. 2015;33:892-903 pubmed publisher..Together, we propose that Id1 acts to maintain the neural stem cell pool by counteracting neurogenesis-promoting signals. ..
- Bhattarai P, Thomas A, Cosacak M, Papadimitriou C, Mashkaryan V, Froc C, et al. IL4/STAT6 Signaling Activates Neural Stem Cell Proliferation and Neurogenesis upon Amyloid-?42 Aggregation in Adult Zebrafish Brain. Cell Rep. 2016;17:941-948 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a crosstalk between neurons and immune cells mediated by IL4/STAT6 signaling, which induces NSPC plasticity in zebrafish brains. ..
- Matsui T, Raya A, Kawakami Y, Callol Massot C, Capdevila J, Rodriguez Esteban C, et al. Noncanonical Wnt signaling regulates midline convergence of organ primordia during zebrafish development. Genes Dev. 2005;19:164-75 pubmed..Overall, our results uncover a late, previously unexpected role of noncanonical Wnt signaling in the control of midline assembly of organ precursors during vertebrate embryo development. ..
- Zhang H, Shen B, Wu H, Gao L, Liu Q, Wang Q, et al. Th17-like immune response in fish mucosal tissues after administration of live attenuated Vibrio anguillarum via different vaccination routes. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2014;37:229-38 pubmed publisher..In turbot, effective immune protection against wild-type V. anguillarum was obtained by bath-vaccinated and the Th17-like responses were found in mucosal and systemic tissues. ..
- Artinger K, Chitnis A, Mercola M, Driever W. Zebrafish narrowminded suggests a genetic link between formation of neural crest and primary sensory neurons. Development. 1999;126:3969-79 pubmed..We discuss the implications of these findings for the possibility that RB sensory neurons and neural crest cells share a common evolutionary origin. ..
- Hammar n M, Oksanen K, Nisula H, Luukinen B, Pesu M, R met M, et al. Adequate Th2-type response associates with restricted bacterial growth in latent mycobacterial infection of zebrafish. PLoS Pathog. 2014;10:e1004190 pubmed publisher..Characteristic gata3/tbx21 has potential as a biomarker for the status of mycobacterial disease.
- Londin E, Niemiec J, Sirotkin H. Chordin, FGF signaling, and mesodermal factors cooperate in zebrafish neural induction. Dev Biol. 2005;279:1-19 pubmed..Our results support a model in which specification of anterior neural tissue requires early FGF-mediated repression of BMP transcript levels and later activities of Chordin and mesodermal factors. ..
- Kizil C, Kyritsis N, Dudczig S, Kroehne V, Freudenreich D, Kaslin J, et al. Regenerative neurogenesis from neural progenitor cells requires injury-induced expression of Gata3. Dev Cell. 2012;23:1230-7 pubmed publisher..Here we identify one such gene-the transcription factor gata3-which is expressed only after injury in different zebrafish organs...
- Teraoka H, Russell C, Regan J, Chandrasekhar A, Concha M, Yokoyama R, et al. Hedgehog and Fgf signaling pathways regulate the development of tphR-expressing serotonergic raphe neurons in zebrafish embryos. J Neurobiol. 2004;60:275-88 pubmed..As in mammals, our results are consistent with the transcription factors Nk2.2 and Gata3 acting downstream of Hh activity in the development of serotonergic raphe neurons...
- Wu S, Wang L, Xu G, Yang S, Deng Q, Li Y, et al. spv locus aggravates Salmonella infection of zebrafish adult by inducing Th1/Th2 shift to Th2 polarization. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;67:684-691 pubmed publisher..Levels of the transcription factors of Th1 (Tbx21) and Th2 (GATA3) were measured by real-time quantitative PCR (RT-qPCR)...
- Burckle C, Gaudé H, Vesque C, Silbermann F, Salomon R, Jeanpierre C, et al. Control of the Wnt pathways by nephrocystin-4 is required for morphogenesis of the zebrafish pronephros. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:2611-27 pubmed publisher..Moreover, they highlight common signalling functions for inversin and nephrocystin-4, suggesting that these two nephrocystins are involved in common physiopathological mechanisms. ..
- Nagaso H, Suzuki A, Tada M, Ueno N. Dual specificity of activin type II receptor ActRIIb in dorso-ventral patterning during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Growth Differ. 1999;41:119-33 pubmed..These results suggest that ActRIIb at least has dual roles in both activin and BMP signaling pathways during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Zhu C, Smith T, MCNULTY J, Rayla A, Lakshmanan A, Siekmann A, et al. Evaluation and application of modularly assembled zinc-finger nucleases in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:4555-64 pubmed publisher..This work provides a resource to allow targeted germline gene inactivation in zebrafish and highlights the benefit of a definitive reverse genetic strategy to reveal gene function. ..
- Tallafuss A, Adolf B, Bally Cuif L. Selective control of neuronal cluster size at the forebrain/midbrain boundary by signaling from the prechordal plate. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:524-35 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that a combination of patterning-related and -unrelated mechanisms specifically controls the size of individual early neuronal clusters within the anterior neural plate. ..
- Fekany Lee K, Gonzalez E, Miller Bertoglio V, Solnica Krezel L. The homeobox gene bozozok promotes anterior neuroectoderm formation in zebrafish through negative regulation of BMP2/4 and Wnt pathways. Development. 2000;127:2333-45 pubmed..In addition, by negative regulation of Wnt signaling, boz promotes organizer formation and limits posteriorization of neuroectoderm in the late gastrula. ..
- Garcia Valtanen P, Martinez Lopez A, Ortega Villaizan M, Perez L, Coll J, Estepa A. In addition to its antiviral and immunomodulatory properties, the zebrafish ?-defensin 2 (zfBD2) is a potent viral DNA vaccine molecular adjuvant. Antiviral Res. 2014;101:136-47 pubmed publisher..To note that psoriasis can be induced in zebrafish and the over-expression of ?-defensin 2 is implicated in the inflammatory response associated with this human skin disorder. ..
- Pillar N, Pleniceanu O, Fang M, Ziv L, Lahav E, Botchan S, et al. A rare variant in the FHL1 gene associated with X-linked recessive hypoparathyroidism. Hum Genet. 2017;136:835-845 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data suggest that FHL1 is a novel regulator of calcium homeostasis and implicate it as the causative gene for X-linked recessive hypoparathyroidism. ..
- SAGERSTROM C, Gammill L, Veale R, Sive H. Specification of the enveloping layer and lack of autoneuralization in zebrafish embryonic explants. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:85-97 pubmed..Our data suggest that distinct mechanisms direct development of homologous lineages in different vertebrates. ..
- Sumanas S, Zhang B, Dai R, Lin S. 15-zinc finger protein Bloody Fingers is required for zebrafish morphogenetic movements during neurulation. Dev Biol. 2005;283:85-96 pubmed..We conclude that blf plays an important role in regulating morphogenetic movements during gastrulation and neurulation while its role in hematopoiesis may be redundant. ..
- Cheng C, Yan C, Choy S, Hui M, Hui C, Cheng S. Zebrafish homologue irx1a is required for the differentiation of serotonergic neurons. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2661-7 pubmed..However, irx1a morphants do not show a reduction of the progenitors of 5HT neurons. Hence, irx1a is not required for the initial specification but it is required for the complete differentiation of 5HT neurons. ..
- Ojanen M, Turpeinen H, Cordova Z, HammarÃ©n M, Harjula S, Parikka M, et al. The proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin furinA regulates zebrafish host response against Mycobacterium marinum. Infect Immun. 2015;83:1431-42 pubmed publisher..marinum infection model. Our data show that upregulated furinA expression can serve as a marker for mycobacterial disease, since it inhibits early host responses and consequently promotes bacterial growth in a chronic infection. ..
- Seredick S, Van Ryswyk L, Hutchinson S, Eisen J. Zebrafish Mnx proteins specify one motoneuron subtype and suppress acquisition of interneuron characteristics. Neural Dev. 2012;7:35 pubmed publisher..This is, to our knowledge, the first report of transcription factors that act to distinguish CaP and MiP subtype identities. Our results also suggest that MiP motoneurons are more similar to V2 interneurons than are CaP motoneurons. ..
- Dee C, Nagaraju R, Athanasiadis E, Gray C, Fernandez Del Ama L, Johnston S, et al. CD4-Transgenic Zebrafish Reveal Tissue-Resident Th2- and Regulatory T Cell-like Populations and Diverse Mononuclear Phagocytes. J Immunol. 2016;197:3520-3530 pubmed
- Bhat N, Kwon H, Riley B. A gene network that coordinates preplacodal competence and neural crest specification in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;373:107-17 pubmed publisher..Bmp establishes preplacodal competence throughout the ventral ectoderm by coinducing Tfap2a, Tfap2c, Foxi1 and Gata3. PPE specification occurs later at the end of gastrulation and requires complete attenuation of Bmp, yet ..
- Gui W, Dong Q, Zhou S, Wang X, Liu S, Zhu G. Waterborne exposure to clodinafop-propargyl disrupts the posterior and ventral development of zebrafish embryos. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2011;30:1576-81 pubmed publisher..Our findings showed that clodinafop-propargyl exposure disturbed embryonic patterning and fate specification of ventrally derived gastrula ectoderm cells. ..
- Grinblat Y, Gamse J, Patel M, Sive H. Determination of the zebrafish forebrain: induction and patterning. Development. 1998;125:4403-16 pubmed..Our data show that forebrain specification begins early during gastrulation, and that a wide area of dorsal mesendoderm is required for its patterning. ..
- Nikaido M, Tada M, Takeda H, Kuroiwa A, Ueno N. In vivo analysis using variants of zebrafish BMPR-IA: range of action and involvement of BMP in ectoderm patterning. Development. 1999;126:181-90 pubmed..Taken together, we propose that, in ectodermal patterning, BMP exerts a direct and cell-autonomous effect to fate uncommitted ectodermal cells to become epidermis. ..