Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gata1a
Description: GATA binding protein 1a
Alias: gata1, gta1, zg1, GATA binding protein 1a, GATA-binding protein 1, etID309774.11, vlad tepes, vlt
- Clatworthy A, Lee J, Leibman M, Kostun Z, Davidson A, Hung D. Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection of zebrafish involves both host and pathogen determinants. Infect Immun. 2009;77:1293-303 pubmed publisher..aeruginosa, the role of individual components of host immune defense, and small-molecule modulators of infection. ..
- Yeh J, Munson K, Chao Y, Peterson Q, Macrae C, Peterson R. AML1-ETO reprograms hematopoietic cell fate by downregulating scl expression. Development. 2008;135:401-10 pubmed..This fate change is characterized by a loss of gata1 expression and an increase in pu.1 expression in myeloerythroid progenitor cells...
- Mullins M, Hammerschmidt M, Kane D, Odenthal J, Brand M, van Eeden F, et al. Genes establishing dorsoventral pattern formation in the zebrafish embryo: the ventral specifying genes. Development. 1996;123:81-93 pubmed..This pathway provides ventral positional information, counteracting the dorsalizing instructions of the organizer, which is localized in the dorsal shield. ..
- Burns C, Traver D, Mayhall E, Shepard J, Zon L. Hematopoietic stem cell fate is established by the Notch-Runx pathway. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2331-42 pubmed..These data define the Notch-Runx pathway as critical for the developmental specification of HSC fate and the subsequent homeostasis of HSC number, thus providing a mechanism for amplifying stem cells in vivo...
- Pase L, Layton J, Kloosterman W, Carradice D, Waterhouse P, Lieschke G. miR-451 regulates zebrafish erythroid maturation in vivo via its target gata2. Blood. 2009;113:1794-804 pubmed publisher..These studies define a new genetic pathway promoting erythroid maturation (mnr/miR-451/gata2) and provide a rare example of partial rescue of a mutant phenotype solely by miRNA overexpression...
- Skromne I, Thorsen D, Hale M, Prince V, Ho R. Repression of the hindbrain developmental program by Cdx factors is required for the specification of the vertebrate spinal cord. Development. 2007;134:2147-58 pubmed..We propose that by preventing the posterior-most region of the neural plate from following a hindbrain developmental program, Cdx factors help determine the size of the prospective hindbrain and spinal cord territories. ..
- Pillay L, Forrester A, Erickson T, Berman J, Waskiewicz A. The Hox cofactors Meis1 and Pbx act upstream of gata1 to regulate primitive hematopoiesis. Dev Biol. 2010;340:306-17 pubmed publisher..Embryos lacking Meis1 and Pbx exhibit a severe reduction in the expression of gata1, the earliest marker of erythroid cell fate, and fail to produce visible circulating blood cells...
- Taneda T, Zhu W, Cao Q, Watanabe H, Yamaguchi Y, Handa H, et al. Erythropoiesis is regulated by the transcription elongation factor Foggy/Spt5 through gata1 gene regulation. Genes Cells. 2011;16:231-42 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that the positive function of Foggy/Spt5 is required for gata1 expression during zebrafish embryonic hematopoiesis...
- Monteiro R, Pouget C, Patient R. The gata1/pu.1 lineage fate paradigm varies between blood populations and is modulated by tif1?. EMBO J. 2011;30:1093-103 pubmed publisher..paradigm for such decisions is the erythroid versus myeloid fate decision controlled by cross-antagonism between gata1 and pu.1 transcription factors...
- Hogan B, Layton J, Pyati U, Nutt S, Hayman J, Varma S, et al. Specification of the primitive myeloid precursor pool requires signaling through Alk8 in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2006;16:506-11 pubmed..1-dependent manner. Caudally, in the posterior lateral plate mesoderm (PLPM), the expression of gata1 defines a precursor pool that gives rise predominantly to the embryonic erythrocytes...
- Dore L, Amigo J, Dos Santos C, Zhang Z, Gai X, Tobias J, et al. A GATA-1-regulated microRNA locus essential for erythropoiesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:3333-8 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a miRNA locus that is required for erythropoiesis and uncover a new regulatory axis through which GATA-1 controls this process. ..
- Parker L, Schmidt M, Jin S, Gray A, Beis D, Pham T, et al. The endothelial-cell-derived secreted factor Egfl7 regulates vascular tube formation. Nature. 2004;428:754-8 pubmed..This process fails to take place in Egfl7 knockdown embryos, leading to the failure of vascular tube formation. Our study defines a regulator that controls a specific and important step in vasculogenesis. ..
- Craven S, French D, Ye W, de Sauvage F, Rosenthal A. Loss of Hspa9b in zebrafish recapitulates the ineffective hematopoiesis of the myelodysplastic syndrome. Blood. 2005;105:3528-34 pubmed..Thus, we identify an essential role for Hspa9b in hematopoiesis and implicate both loss of HSPA9B specifically and mitochondrial dysfunction generally in the pathogenesis of the MDS. ..
- Juarez M, Su F, Chun S, Kiel M, Lyons S. Distinct roles for SCL in erythroid specification and maturation in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:41636-44 pubmed..Interestingly, in embryos with severely reduced Scl levels, erythroid progenitors expressing gata1 and embryonic globin developed...
- Stachura D, Svoboda O, Lau R, Balla K, Zon L, Bartunek P, et al. Clonal analysis of hematopoietic progenitor cells in the zebrafish. Blood. 2011;118:1274-82 pubmed publisher..Analysis of the gene-expression profiles after isolation of colonies marked by gata1:DsRed or mpx:eGFP transgenes confirmed our morphological erythroid and myeloid lineage designations, respectively...
- Tucker J, Mintzer K, Mullins M. The BMP signaling gradient patterns dorsoventral tissues in a temporally progressive manner along the anteroposterior axis. Dev Cell. 2008;14:108-19 pubmed publisher..We propose that a temporal cue regulates a cell's competence to respond to BMP signaling, allowing the acquisition of a cell's DV and AP identity simultaneously. ..
- Shaw G, Cope J, Li L, Corson K, Hersey C, Ackermann G, et al. Mitoferrin is essential for erythroid iron assimilation. Nature. 2006;440:96-100 pubmed..Our data show that mfrn functions as the principal mitochondrial iron importer essential for haem biosynthesis in vertebrate erythroblasts...
- Le H, Zhang Y, Liu H, Ma L, Jin Y, Huang Q, et al. eena Promotes myeloid proliferation through stimulating ERK1/2 phosphorylation in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:17652-61 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that eena plays an important role in the development of the myeloid cell through activation of the ERK pathway and may provide a valuable reference for future studies of the role of EEN in leukemogenesis. ..
- Heicklen Klein A, Evans T. T-box binding sites are required for activity of a cardiac GATA-4 enhancer. Dev Biol. 2004;267:490-504 pubmed..Thus, GATA-4 regulatory elements control gene expression differentially along the rostro-caudal axis, and T-box binding elements in the GATA-4 promoter contribute to heart-specific expression. ..
- Bai X, Kim J, Yang Z, Jurynec M, Akie T, Lee J, et al. TIF1gamma controls erythroid cell fate by regulating transcription elongation. Cell. 2010;142:133-43 pubmed publisher..Our study establishes a mechanism for regulating tissue cell fate and differentiation through transcription elongation. ..
- Sumanas S, Jorniak T, Lin S. Identification of novel vascular endothelial-specific genes by the microarray analysis of the zebrafish cloche mutants. Blood. 2005;106:534-41 pubmed..We established clo/gata1-GFP transgenic line with erythroid-specific green fluorescent protein (GFP) expression, which allowed ..
- Rhodes J, Hagen A, Hsu K, Deng M, Liu T, Look A, et al. Interplay of pu.1 and gata1 determines myelo-erythroid progenitor cell fate in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2005;8:97-108 pubmed..Gene knockdown experiments and transplantation assays demonstrated the reciprocal negative regulation of pu.1 and gata1 and their non-cell-autonomous regulation that determines myeloid versus erythroid MPC fate in the distinct blood-..
- Weinstein B, Schier A, Abdelilah S, Malicki J, Solnica Krezel L, Stemple D, et al. Hematopoietic mutations in the zebrafish. Development. 1996;123:303-9 pubmed..Some cause defects in precursor generation, others defects in differentiation, and others an increase in cellular photosensitivity. ..
- Paik E, Zon L. Hematopoietic development in the zebrafish. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:1127-37 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will summarize hematopoiesis in the zebrafish and discuss how genetic approaches using the zebrafish system have helped to build our current knowledge in the field of hematopoiesis. ..
- Miller Bertoglio V, Carmany Rampey A, Fürthauer M, Gonzalez E, Thisse C, Thisse B, et al. Maternal and zygotic activity of the zebrafish ogon locus antagonizes BMP signaling. Dev Biol. 1999;214:72-86 pubmed..The results suggest that ogo encodes an as yet unidentified dorsalizing factor that mediates dorsoventral patterning by directly or indirectly antagonizing BMP activity. ..
- Bertrand J, Kim A, Teng S, Traver D. CD41+ cmyb+ precursors colonize the zebrafish pronephros by a novel migration route to initiate adult hematopoiesis. Development. 2008;135:1853-62 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies suggest that expression of CD41 and cmyb marks nascent HSCs in the zebrafish AGM, and provide the means to further dissect HSC generation and function in the early vertebrate embryo. ..
- Lyons S, Lawson N, Lei L, Bennett P, Weinstein B, Liu P. A nonsense mutation in zebrafish gata1 causes the bloodless phenotype in vlad tepes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:5454-9 pubmedb>Vlad tepes (vlt(m651)) is one of only five "bloodless" zebrafish mutants isolated through large-scale chemical mutagenesis screening...
- Davidson A, Ernst P, Wang Y, Dekens M, Kingsley P, Palis J, et al. cdx4 mutants fail to specify blood progenitors and can be rescued by multiple hox genes. Nature. 2003;425:300-6 pubmed..Taken together, these findings demonstrate that cdx4 regulates hox genes and is necessary for the specification of haematopoietic cell fate during vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Zhou T, Wang L, Zhu K, Dong M, Xu P, Chen Y, et al. Dominant-negative C/ebp? and polycomb group protein Bmi1 extend short-lived hematopoietic stem/progenitor cell life span and induce lethal dyserythropoiesis. Blood. 2011;118:3842-52 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that Bmi1 acts immediately downstream of C/ebp?DN to regulate the survival and self-renewal of HSPCs and contribute to the erythropoietic dysplasia. ..
- Stainier D, Weinstein B, Detrich H, Zon L, Fishman M. Cloche, an early acting zebrafish gene, is required by both the endothelial and hematopoietic lineages. Development. 1995;121:3141-50 pubmed..These results show that cloche is involved in the genesis and early diversification of the endothelial and blood lineages, possibly by affecting a common progenitor cell population. ..
- Gering M, Rodaway A, Gottgens B, Patient R, Green A. The SCL gene specifies haemangioblast development from early mesoderm. EMBO J. 1998;17:4029-45 pubmed..Our data also underline the striking similarities between the role of SCL in haematopoiesis/vasculogenesis and the function of other bHLH proteins in muscle and neural development. ..
- Kobayashi M, Nishikawa K, Yamamoto M. Hematopoietic regulatory domain of gata1 gene is positively regulated by GATA1 protein in zebrafish embryos. Development. 2001;128:2341-50 pubmedExpression of gata1 is regulated through multiple cis-acting GATA motifs. To elucidate regulatory mechanisms of the gata1 gene, we have used zebrafish...
- Cermenati S, Moleri S, Cimbro S, Corti P, Del Giacco L, Amodeo R, et al. Sox18 and Sox7 play redundant roles in vascular development. Blood. 2008;111:2657-66 pubmed..Our data suggest that a defect in arteriovenous identity could be responsible for the formation of telangiectases in patients with HLT. ..
- Traver D, Paw B, Poss K, Penberthy W, Lin S, Zon L. Transplantation and in vivo imaging of multilineage engraftment in zebrafish bloodless mutants. Nat Immunol. 2003;4:1238-46 pubmed..Hematopoietic cell transplantation can rescue multilineage hematopoiesis in embryonic lethal gata1-/- mutants for over 6 months...
- Jing C, Chen Y, Dong M, Peng X, Jia X, Gao L, et al. Phospholipase C gamma-1 is required for granulocyte maturation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;374:24-31 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that plcg1 functioned specifically in zebrafish ICM granulopoiesis for the first time. Our studies suggest that specific pathways regulate the differentiation of the hematopoietic lineages. ..
- Gering M, Yamada Y, Rabbitts T, Patient R. Lmo2 and Scl/Tal1 convert non-axial mesoderm into haemangioblasts which differentiate into endothelial cells in the absence of Gata1. Development. 2003;130:6187-99 pubmed..This restriction correlates well with activation of gata1 transcription and co-injection of gata1 mRNA along with scl/tal1 and lmo2 induces erythropoiesis more broadly ..
- Liao E, Paw B, Oates A, Pratt S, Postlethwait J, Zon L. SCL/Tal-1 transcription factor acts downstream of cloche to specify hematopoietic and vascular progenitors in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 1998;12:621-6 pubmed..Forced expression of SCL in clo embryos rescues the blood and vascular defects, suggesting that SCL acts downstream of clo to specify hematopoietic and vascular differentiation. ..
- Taylor A, Humphries J, White R, Murphey R, BURNS C, Zon L. Hematopoietic defects in rps29 mutant zebrafish depend upon p53 activation. Exp Hematol. 2012;40:228-237.e5 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies demonstrate a role of p53 in mediating the cellular defects associated with rps29 and establish a role for rps29 and p53 in hematopoietic stem cells and red blood cell development. ..
- Hammerschmidt M, Pelegri F, Mullins M, Kane D, van Eeden F, Granato M, et al. dino and mercedes, two genes regulating dorsal development in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 1996;123:95-102 pubmed..Their function in the patterning of the ventrolateral mesoderm and the induction of the neuroectoderm is similar to the function of the Spemann organizer in the amphibian embryo. ..
- Thompson M, Ransom D, Pratt S, MacLennan H, Kieran M, Detrich H, et al. The cloche and spadetail genes differentially affect hematopoiesis and vasculogenesis. Dev Biol. 1998;197:248-69 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that the molecular mechanisms that regulate hematopoiesis and vasculogenesis have been conserved throughout vertebrate evolution and the clo and spt genes are key regulators of these programs. ..
- Soza Ried C, Hess I, Netuschil N, Schorpp M, Boehm T. Essential role of c-myb in definitive hematopoiesis is evolutionarily conserved. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:17304-8 pubmed publisher..Our results, therefore, suggest that the key role of c-myb in definitive hematopoiesis is similar to that in mammals and must have become established early in vertebrate evolution. ..
- Qian F, Zhen F, Ong C, Jin S, Meng Soo H, Stainier D, et al. Microarray analysis of zebrafish cloche mutant using amplified cDNA and identification of potential downstream target genes. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:1163-72 pubmed..Our study provides valuable information for studying hematopoiesis and vessel formation. The method described here offers a powerful tool for gene expression profiling of zebrafish mutants in general. ..
- Leung A, Mendenhall E, Kwan T, Liang R, Eckfeldt C, Chen E, et al. Characterization of expanded intermediate cell mass in zebrafish chordin morphant embryos. Dev Biol. 2005;277:235-54 pubmed..BMP4, but not BMP2b or 7, was involved in this process. The results provide ground for further research into the mechanisms of embryonic hematopoietic cell expansion. ..
- Dooley K, Davidson A, Zon L. Zebrafish scl functions independently in hematopoietic and endothelial development. Dev Biol. 2005;277:522-36 pubmed..Surprisingly, in cloche, lmo2 was not induced in response to scl over-expression. Taken together, these findings support distinct roles for scl in hematopoietic and endothelial development, downstream of hemangioblast development. ..
- Wei W, Wen L, Huang P, Zhang Z, Chen Y, Xiao A, et al. Gfi1.1 regulates hematopoietic lineage differentiation during zebrafish embryogenesis. Cell Res. 2008;18:677-85 pubmed publisher..Morpholino (MO) knockdown of gfi1.1 reduced expression of scl, lmo2, c-myb, mpo, rag1, gata1 and hemoglobin alpha embryonic-1 (hbae1), as well as the total amount of embryonic hemoglobin, but increased ..
- Gardiner M, Gongora M, Grimmond S, Perkins A. A global role for zebrafish klf4 in embryonic erythropoiesis. Mech Dev. 2007;124:762-74 pubmed..In addition, we show klf4 preferentially binds CACCC box elements in the primitive zebrafish beta-like globin gene promoters. These results have global implications for primitive erythroid gene regulation by KLF-CACCC box interactions. ..
- Davidson A, Zon L. The caudal-related homeobox genes cdx1a and cdx4 act redundantly to regulate hox gene expression and the formation of putative hematopoietic stem cells during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2006;292:506-18 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that the cdx-hox pathway plays an essential role in the formation of both embryonic erythroid cells and definitive HSCs during vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Bertrand J, Chi N, Santoso B, Teng S, Stainier D, Traver D. Haematopoietic stem cells derive directly from aortic endothelium during development. Nature. 2010;464:108-11 pubmed publisher..Finally, using a permanent lineage tracing strategy, we demonstrate that the HSCs generated from haemogenic endothelium are the lineal founders of the adult haematopoietic system. ..
- Alexander J, Stainier D, Yelon D. Screening mosaic F1 females for mutations affecting zebrafish heart induction and patterning. Dev Genet. 1998;22:288-99 pubmed..Future analysis of these and other cardiac mutations will provide further insight into the processes of induction and anterior-posterior patterning of the heart. ..
- Nguyen V, Schmid B, Trout J, Connors S, Ekker M, Mullins M. Ventral and lateral regions of the zebrafish gastrula, including the neural crest progenitors, are established by a bmp2b/swirl pathway of genes. Dev Biol. 1998;199:93-110 pubmed..Based on the alterations in tissue-specific gene expression, we propose a model whereby swirl/bmp2b acts as a morphogen to specify different cell types along the dorsoventral axis. ..
- Liao E, Trede N, Ransom D, Zapata A, Kieran M, Zon L. Non-cell autonomous requirement for the bloodless gene in primitive hematopoiesis of zebrafish. Development. 2002;129:649-59 pubmed..Overexpression of scl, but not bmp4 or gata1, can lead to partial rescue of embryonic blood cells in bls...
- Shen L, Chen F, Zhang Y, Cao L, Kuang Y, Zhong M, et al. MYCN transgenic zebrafish model with the characterization of acute myeloid leukemia and altered hematopoiesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59070 pubmed publisher..enhanced primitive hematopoiesis by upregulating scl and lmo2 expression and promoted myelopoiesis by inhibiting gata1 expression and inducing pu.1, mpo expression...
- Galloway J, Wingert R, Thisse C, Thisse B, Zon L. Combinatorial regulation of novel erythroid gene expression in zebrafish. Exp Hematol. 2008;36:424-32 pubmed publisher..Upon examination of embryos deficient for Gata1, Gata2, Biklf, and/or Scl, we found distinct gene combinations were required for expression of the novel genes...