Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gad2
Description: glutamate decarboxylase 2
Alias: GAD65, zgc:112198, glutamate decarboxylase 2
- Sundvik M, Kudo H, Toivonen P, Rozov S, Chen Y, Panula P. The histaminergic system regulates wakefulness and orexin/hypocretin neuron development via histamine receptor H1 in zebrafish. FASEB J. 2011;25:4338-47 pubmed publisher..development via histamine receptor H1 in zebrafish...
- Appelbaum L, Wang G, Maro G, Mori R, Tovin A, Marin W, et al. Sleep-wake regulation and hypocretin-melatonin interaction in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:21942-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the existence of a functional HCRT neurons-pineal gland circuit able to modulate melatonin production and sleep consolidation. ..
- Miyake A, Nakayama Y, Konishi M, Itoh N. Fgf19 regulated by Hh signaling is required for zebrafish forebrain development. Dev Biol. 2005;288:259-75 pubmed..The present findings indicate that Fgf19 signaling is crucial for forebrain development by interacting with Hh and provide new insights into the roles of Fgf signaling in brain development. ..
- McGown A, McDearmid J, Panagiotaki N, Tong H, Al Mashhadi S, Redhead N, et al. Early interneuron dysfunction in ALS: insights from a mutant sod1 zebrafish model. Ann Neurol. 2013;73:246-58 pubmed publisher..Riluzole, the approved drug for use in ALS, modulates neuronal stress in interneurons, indicating a novel mechanism of riluzole action. ..
- Van Ryswyk L, Simonson L, Eisen J. The role of inab in axon morphology of an identified zebrafish motoneuron. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e88631 pubmed publisher..We show that inab is necessary for proper axon morphology of a specific motoneuron subtype. ..
- Li A, Sun Y, Dou C, Chen J, Zhang J. Lysine-specific demethylase 1 expression in zebrafish during the early stages of neuronal development. Neural Regen Res. 2012;7:2719-26 pubmed publisher..injection) led to the loss of cells in the brain and to a dramatic downregulation of neural genes, including gad65, gad75, and reelin, but not hey1...
- Hilinski W, Bostrom J, England S, Juárez Morales J, De Jager S, Armant O, et al. Lmx1b is required for the glutamatergic fates of a subset of spinal cord neurons. Neural Dev. 2016;11:16 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data significantly enhance our understanding of how spinal cord neurotransmitter fates are regulated. ..
- Ito Y, Tanaka H, Okamoto H, Ohshima T. Characterization of neural stem cells and their progeny in the adult zebrafish optic tectum. Dev Biol. 2010;342:26-38 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the proliferating cells in the PGZ contribute to neuronal and glial lineages to maintain the structure of the optic tectum in adult zebrafish. ..
- Delgado L, Schmachtenberg O. Immunohistochemical localization of GABA, GAD65, and the receptor subunits GABAAalpha1 and GABAB1 in the zebrafish cerebellum. Cerebellum. 2008;7:444-50 pubmed publisher..investigated the expression and distribution of GABA, the GABA-synthesizing enzyme glutamic acid decarboxylase 65 (GAD65), and the receptor subunits GABA(Aalpha1) and GABA(B1) in the cerebellum of adult zebrafish...
- Mione M, Baldessari D, Deflorian G, Nappo G, Santoriello C. How neuronal migration contributes to the morphogenesis of the CNS: insights from the zebrafish. Dev Neurosci. 2008;30:65-81 pubmed..These examples reinforce the concept that migratory events contribute to the distribution of cell types with diverse identities through the CNS and that zebrafish transgenic lines represent excellent tools to study these events. ..
- Yokogawa T, Marin W, Faraco J, Pezeron G, Appelbaum L, Zhang J, et al. Characterization of sleep in zebrafish and insomnia in hypocretin receptor mutants. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e277 pubmed..Our study validates the use of zebrafish for the study of sleep and indicates molecular diversity in sleep regulatory networks across vertebrates. ..
- Thevenod F, Roussa E, Schmitt B, Romero M. Cloning and immunolocalization of a rat pancreatic Na(+) bicarbonate cotransporter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999;264:291-8 pubmed..The data suggest that rpNBC likely plays a more important role in the transport of HCO(-)(3) by rat pancreatic acinar and duct cells than previously believed. ..
- Aoki T, Kinoshita M, Aoki R, Agetsuma M, Aizawa H, Yamazaki M, et al. Imaging of neural ensemble for the retrieval of a learned behavioral program. Neuron. 2013;78:881-94 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the findings indicate that consolidated memory traces can be rapidly modified during reinforcement learning. ..
- Chen S, Reichert S, Singh C, Oikonomou G, Rihel J, Prober D. Light-Dependent Regulation of Sleep and Wake States by Prokineticin 2 in Zebrafish. Neuron. 2017;95:153-168.e6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Prok2 antagonizes the direct wake-promoting effect of light in zebrafish, in part through the induction of galn expression in the hypothalamus. ..
- Filippi A, Mueller T, Driever W. vglut2 and gad expression reveal distinct patterns of dual GABAergic versus glutamatergic cotransmitter phenotypes of dopaminergic and noradrenergic neurons in the zebrafish brain. J Comp Neurol. 2014;522:2019-37 pubmed publisher..Here, we analyze vglut2, gad1b and gad2 expression in combination with tyrosine hydroxylase immunoreactivity in 4-day-old larval and 30-day-old juvenile ..
- Yu M, Zhang X, Guo L, Tian H, Wang W, Ru S. Anti-estrogenic effect of semicarbazide in female zebrafish (Danio rerio) and its potential mechanisms. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;170:262-270 pubmed publisher..These effects were observed at environmentally relevant concentrations and highlight the importance of controlling SMC contamination. ..
- JuÃ¡rez Morales J, Schulte C, Pezoa S, Vallejo G, Hilinski W, England S, et al. Evx1 and Evx2 specify excitatory neurotransmitter fates and suppress inhibitory fates through a Pax2-independent mechanism. Neural Dev. 2016;11:5 pubmed publisher..These results significantly increase our understanding of the mechanisms of neuronal specification and the genetic networks involved in these processes. ..
- Bosma P, Bl zquez M, Collins M, Bishop J, Drouin G, Priede I, et al. Multiplicity of glutamic acid decarboxylases (GAD) in vertebrates: molecular phylogeny and evidence for a new GAD paralog. Mol Biol Evol. 1999;16:397-404 pubmed publisher..Prior to this study, molecular data of GAD had been restricted to mammals, which express two distinct forms, GAD65 and GAD67...
- Pena I, Roussel Y, Daniel K, Mongeon K, Johnstone D, Weinschutz Mendes H, et al. Pyridoxine-Dependent Epilepsy in Zebrafish Caused by Aldh7a1 Deficiency. Genetics. 2017;207:1501-1518 pubmed publisher..This novel model provides valuable insights into PDE pathophysiology; further research may offer new opportunities for drug discovery to control seizure activity and improve neurodevelopmental outcomes for PDE. ..
- Chen A, Chiu C, Mosser E, Kahn S, Spence R, Prober D. QRFP and Its Receptors Regulate Locomotor Activity and Sleep in Zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2016;36:1823-40 pubmed publisher..We also show that QRFP overexpression reduces locomotor activity, whereas animals that lack QRFP signaling are more active and sleep less. These results suggest that QRFP signaling participates in the hypothalamic regulation of sleep. ..
- Fernandes A, Beddows E, Filippi A, Driever W. Orthopedia transcription factor otpa and otpb paralogous genes function during dopaminergic and neuroendocrine cell specification in larval zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75002 pubmed publisher..Otp may thus be crucial for defined neuronal cell types also in the hindbrain. ..
- Zhang Y, Vanmeert M, Siekierska A, Ny A, John J, Callewaert G, et al. Inhibition of glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) by ethyl ketopentenoate (EKP) induces treatment-resistant epileptic seizures in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2017;7:7195 pubmed publisher..docking data indicated that this proconvulsant activity resulted from the direct inhibition of both gad67 and gad65. Limited protective efficacy of tested anti-seizure drugs (ASDs) demonstrated a high level of treatment resistance ..
- Trabucchi M, Trudeau V, Drouin G, Tostivint H, Ihrmann I, Vallarino M, et al. Molecular characterization and comparative localization of the mRNAs encoding two glutamic acid decarboxylases (GAD65 and GAD67) in the brain of the African lungfish, Protopterus annectens. J Comp Neurol. 2008;506:979-88 pubmedThe existence of two distinct genes encoding two isoforms of glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD65 and GAD67) has been demonstrated in most vertebrate classes, yet little is known about their differential distributions and functions in the ..
- Drew R, Settles M, Churchill E, Williams S, Balli S, Robison B. Brain transcriptome variation among behaviorally distinct strains of zebrafish (Danio rerio). BMC Genomics. 2012;13:323 pubmed publisher..However, this conclusion must be tempered by limitations associated with comparisons among microarray studies and the low level of population-level replication inherent to these studies. ..