Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gad1b
Description: glutamate decarboxylase 1b
Alias: GAD67, gad1, glutamate decarboxylase 1
- Tallafuss A, Eisen J. The Met receptor tyrosine kinase prevents zebrafish primary motoneurons from expressing an incorrect neurotransmitter. Neural Dev. 2008;3:18 pubmed publisher..the synthetic enzyme for their normal neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, and mRNA encoding Glutamate decarboxylase 1, the synthetic enzyme for GABA, a neurotransmitter never normally found in these motoneurons, but found ..
- Adolf B, Chapouton P, Lam C, Topp S, Tannhäuser B, Strahle U, et al. Conserved and acquired features of adult neurogenesis in the zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Biol. 2006;295:278-93 pubmed
- Miyake A, Nakayama Y, Konishi M, Itoh N. Fgf19 regulated by Hh signaling is required for zebrafish forebrain development. Dev Biol. 2005;288:259-75 pubmed..The present findings indicate that Fgf19 signaling is crucial for forebrain development by interacting with Hh and provide new insights into the roles of Fgf signaling in brain development. ..
- Higashijima S, Schaefer M, Fetcho J. Neurotransmitter properties of spinal interneurons in embryonic and larval zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2004;480:19-37 pubmed..Our approach allowed us to define the likely transmitter phenotypes of most of the known classes of spinal interneurons. These data provide a foundation for understanding the functional organization of the spinal networks in zebrafish. ..
- Scholpp S, Delogu A, Gilthorpe J, Peukert D, Schindler S, Lumsden A. Her6 regulates the neurogenetic gradient and neuronal identity in the thalamus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:19895-900 pubmed publisher..Thus, the presence or absence of a single upstream regulator of proneural gene expression, Her6, leads to the establishment of discrete neuronal domains in the thalamus. ..
- Yang L, Rastegar S, Strahle U. Regulatory interactions specifying Kolmer-Agduhr interneurons. Development. 2010;137:2713-22 pubmed publisher..transcription factor Tal2 that acts upstream of the GABA-synthesizing enzyme glutamic acid decarboxylase 67 gene (gad67) in KA' cells...
- Higashijima S, Mandel G, Fetcho J. Distribution of prospective glutamatergic, glycinergic, and GABAergic neurons in embryonic and larval zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2004;480:1-18 pubmed..The differences in the distribution of excitatory and inhibitory neurons in spinal cord versus hindbrain may be tied to differences in their patterns of development and functional organization. ..
- Seredick S, Van Ryswyk L, Hutchinson S, Eisen J. Zebrafish Mnx proteins specify one motoneuron subtype and suppress acquisition of interneuron characteristics. Neural Dev. 2012;7:35 pubmed publisher..This is, to our knowledge, the first report of transcription factors that act to distinguish CaP and MiP subtype identities. Our results also suggest that MiP motoneurons are more similar to V2 interneurons than are CaP motoneurons. ..
- Hoffman E, Turner K, Fernández J, Cifuentes D, Ghosh M, Ijaz S, et al. Estrogens Suppress a Behavioral Phenotype in Zebrafish Mutants of the Autism Risk Gene, CNTNAP2. Neuron. 2016;89:725-33 pubmed publisher..These results identify estrogenic compounds as phenotypic suppressors and illuminate novel pharmacological pathways with relevance to autism. ..
- Hilinski W, Bostrom J, England S, Juárez Morales J, De Jager S, Armant O, et al. Lmx1b is required for the glutamatergic fates of a subset of spinal cord neurons. Neural Dev. 2016;11:16 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data significantly enhance our understanding of how spinal cord neurotransmitter fates are regulated. ..
- Kawashima T, Zwart M, Yang C, Mensh B, Ahrens M. The Serotonergic System Tracks the Outcomes of Actions to Mediate Short-Term Motor Learning. Cell. 2016;167:933-946.e20 pubmed publisher..The DRN's ability to track the effectiveness of motor intent may constitute a computational building block for the broader functions of the serotonergic system. VIDEO ABSTRACT. ..
- Filippi A, Mueller T, Driever W. vglut2 and gad expression reveal distinct patterns of dual GABAergic versus glutamatergic cotransmitter phenotypes of dopaminergic and noradrenergic neurons in the zebrafish brain. J Comp Neurol. 2014;522:2019-37 pubmed publisher..Here, we analyze vglut2, gad1b and gad2 expression in combination with tyrosine hydroxylase immunoreactivity in 4-day-old larval and 30-day-old ..
- Pan Y, Chatterjee D, Gerlai R. Strain dependent gene expression and neurochemical levels in the brain of zebrafish: focus on a few alcohol related targets. Physiol Behav. 2012;107:773-80 pubmed publisher..We quantified the expression of the genes encoding D1-R, D2a-R, D4a-R dopamine receptors, GABA(A)-R, GABA(B)-R1, GAD1, MAO, NMDA-R (NR2D subunit), 5HT-R1bd and SLC6 a4a...
- Zhang C, Ojiaku P, Cole G. Forebrain and hindbrain development in zebrafish is sensitive to ethanol exposure involving agrin, Fgf, and sonic hedgehog function. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2013;97:8-27 pubmed publisher..In situ hybridization was used to analyze glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD1) gene expression, as well as markers of glutamatergic neurons...
- Yokogawa T, Marin W, Faraco J, Pezeron G, Appelbaum L, Zhang J, et al. Characterization of sleep in zebrafish and insomnia in hypocretin receptor mutants. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e277 pubmed..Our study validates the use of zebrafish for the study of sleep and indicates molecular diversity in sleep regulatory networks across vertebrates. ..
- Appelbaum L, Wang G, Maro G, Mori R, Tovin A, Marin W, et al. Sleep-wake regulation and hypocretin-melatonin interaction in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:21942-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the existence of a functional HCRT neurons-pineal gland circuit able to modulate melatonin production and sleep consolidation. ..
- Weber A, Hochmann S, Cimalla P, Gärtner M, Kuscha V, Hans S, et al. Characterization of light lesion paradigms and optical coherence tomography as tools to study adult retina regeneration in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e80483 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the light lesion and imaging assays described here represent powerful tools for studying degeneration and regeneration processes in the adult zebrafish retina. ..
- Wang Y, Zhong H, Wang C, Gao D, Zhou Y, Zuo Z. Maternal exposure to the water soluble fraction of crude oil, lead and their mixture induces autism-like behavioral deficits in zebrafish (Danio rerio) larvae. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2016;134P1:23-30 pubmed publisher..The information from the network could provide a clue for further mechanistic studies explaining molecular events regulating WSF/Pb mediated ASD. ..
- Amo R, Fredes F, Kinoshita M, Aoki R, Aizawa H, Agetsuma M, et al. The habenulo-raphe serotonergic circuit encodes an aversive expectation value essential for adaptive active avoidance of danger. Neuron. 2014;84:1034-48 pubmed publisher..Thus, vHb-MR circuit is essential for representing the level of expected danger and behavioral programming to adaptively avoid potential hazard. ..
- Satou C, Kimura Y, Higashijima S. Generation of multiple classes of V0 neurons in zebrafish spinal cord: progenitor heterogeneity and temporal control of neuronal diversity. J Neurosci. 2012;32:1771-83 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that multiple types of V0 neurons are produced by two distinct mechanisms; from heterogeneous p0 progenitors and from the same p0 progenitor, but in a time-dependent manner. ..
- Peukert D, Weber S, Lumsden A, Scholpp S. Lhx2 and Lhx9 determine neuronal differentiation and compartition in the caudal forebrain by regulating Wnt signaling. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001218 pubmed publisher..We therefore suggest that after initial neural tube patterning, neurogenesis within a brain compartment influences the integrity of the neuronal progenitor pool and border formation of a neuromeric compartment. ..
- Ito Y, Tanaka H, Okamoto H, Ohshima T. Characterization of neural stem cells and their progeny in the adult zebrafish optic tectum. Dev Biol. 2010;342:26-38 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the proliferating cells in the PGZ contribute to neuronal and glial lineages to maintain the structure of the optic tectum in adult zebrafish. ..
- Förster D, Arnold Ammer I, Laurell E, Barker A, Fernandes A, Finger Baier K, et al. Genetic targeting and anatomical registration of neuronal populations in the zebrafish brain with a new set of BAC transgenic tools. Sci Rep. 2017;7:5230 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study offers new tools for functional studies of specific neural circuits in zebrafish. ..
- Zhang C, Frazier J, Chen H, Liu Y, Lee J, Cole G. Molecular and morphological changes in zebrafish following transient ethanol exposure during defined developmental stages. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2014;44:70-80 pubmed publisher..stage and concentration of alcohol exposure, as does diminution of retinal Pax6a or forebrain and hindbrain GAD1 gene expression...
- Mueller T, Wullimann M, Guo S. Early teleostean basal ganglia development visualized by zebrafish Dlx2a, Lhx6, Lhx7, Tbr2 (eomesa), and GAD67 gene expression. J Comp Neurol. 2008;507:1245-57 pubmed publisherWe examined the brain expression patterns of zebrafish genes Lhx6, Lhx7, Dlx2a, GAD67, and Tbr2/eomesa; except for GAD67, expression domains are restricted to the forebrain...
- von Trotha J, Vernier P, Bally Cuif L. Emotions and motivated behavior converge on an amygdala-like structure in the zebrafish. Eur J Neurosci. 2014;40:3302-15 pubmed publisher..They further suggest an evolutionarily conserved function of amygdala-like structures in positive emotions and motivated behavior in zebrafish and mammals. ..
- May M, Hwang K, MILES J, Williams C, Niranjan T, Kahler S, et al. ZC4H2, an XLID gene, is required for the generation of a specific subset of CNS interneurons. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:4848-61 pubmed publisher..Our findings clearly support ZC4H2 as a novel XLID gene with a required function in interneuron development. Loss of function of ZC4H2 thus likely results in altered connectivity of many brain and spinal circuits. ..
- Yan W, Li L, Li G, Zhao S. Microcystin-LR induces changes in the GABA neurotransmitter system of zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;188:170-176 pubmed publisher..Significant increase of GABAA receptor, alpha 1 (gabra1), glutamate decarboxylase (gad1b), glutaminase (glsa) and reduction of mRNA expression of GABA transporter (gat1) at transcriptional level were ..
- Fernandes A, Beddows E, Filippi A, Driever W. Orthopedia transcription factor otpa and otpb paralogous genes function during dopaminergic and neuroendocrine cell specification in larval zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75002 pubmed publisher..Otp may thus be crucial for defined neuronal cell types also in the hindbrain. ..
- Zhang Y, Vanmeert M, Siekierska A, Ny A, John J, Callewaert G, et al. Inhibition of glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) by ethyl ketopentenoate (EKP) induces treatment-resistant epileptic seizures in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2017;7:7195 pubmed publisher..Molecular docking data indicated that this proconvulsant activity resulted from the direct inhibition of both gad67 and gad65...
- Gabriel J, Trivedi C, Maurer C, Ryu S, Bollmann J. Layer-specific targeting of direction-selective neurons in the zebrafish optic tectum. Neuron. 2012;76:1147-60 pubmed publisher..Hence, different directions are represented in different layers, which suggests a simple mechanism for how tectal neurons acquire directional tuning in a nascent circuit. ..
- Miyake A, Chitose T, Kamei E, Murakami A, Nakayama Y, Konishi M, et al. Fgf16 is required for specification of GABAergic neurons and oligodendrocytes in the zebrafish forebrain. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e110836 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicate that Fgf16 signaling, which is regulated by the downstream pathways of Hh-Fgf19 in the forebrain, is involved in forebrain development. ..
- Sundvik M, Kudo H, Toivonen P, Rozov S, Chen Y, Panula P. The histaminergic system regulates wakefulness and orexin/hypocretin neuron development via histamine receptor H1 in zebrafish. FASEB J. 2011;25:4338-47 pubmed publisher..development via histamine receptor H1 in zebrafish...
- Gonzalez Nunez V. Role of gabra2, GABAA receptor alpha-2 subunit, in CNS development. Biochem Biophys Rep. 2015;3:190-201 pubmed publisher..neuronal determination) was down-regulated in gabra2 deficient embryos, and the expression pattern of gad1b (GABA-synthesising enzyme GAD67) was clearly reduced in injected fish...
- Davis D, Doerr H, Grzelak A, Busi S, Jasarević E, Ericsson A, et al. Lactobacillus plantarum attenuates anxiety-related behavior and protects against stress-induced dysbiosis in adult zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:33726 pubmed publisher..These results underscore the influence commensal microbes have on physiological function in the host, and demonstrate bidirectional communication between the GM and the host. ..
- Sarty K, Cowie A, Martyniuk C. The legacy pesticide dieldrin acts as a teratogen and alters the expression of dopamine transporter and dopamine receptor 2a in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;194:37-47 pubmed publisher..This is an important consideration when incorporating transcriptomics into embryo testing as expression levels can change with removal of the chorion prior to exposure. ..
- Djenoune L, Khabou H, Joubert F, Quan F, Nunes Figueiredo S, Bodineau L, et al. Investigation of spinal cerebrospinal fluid-contacting neurons expressing PKD2L1: evidence for a conserved system from fish to primates. Front Neuroanat. 2014;8:26 pubmed publisher..2a and olig2 transcription factors, respectively. Altogether our results suggest that a system of CSF-cNs expressing the PKD2L1 channel is conserved in the spinal cord across bony vertebrate species. ..
- Van Ryswyk L, Simonson L, Eisen J. The role of inab in axon morphology of an identified zebrafish motoneuron. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e88631 pubmed publisher..We show that inab is necessary for proper axon morphology of a specific motoneuron subtype. ..
- Roy N, Arpie B, Lugo J, Linney E, Levin E, Cerutti D. Brief embryonic strychnine exposure in zebrafish causes long-term adult behavioral impairment with indications of embryonic synaptic changes. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2012;34:587-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data show that a short embryonic exposure to a neurotoxicant can alter development of neural synapses and lead to changes in adult behavior. ..
- Yang N, Dong Z, Guo S. Fezf2 regulates multilineage neuronal differentiation through activating basic helix-loop-helix and homeodomain genes in the zebrafish ventral forebrain. J Neurosci. 2012;32:10940-8 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings reveal new mechanisms by which multilineage differentiation is coordinately regulated by a single transcription factor in the vertebrate ventral forebrain. ..
- Yu M, Zhang X, Guo L, Tian H, Wang W, Ru S. Anti-estrogenic effect of semicarbazide in female zebrafish (Danio rerio) and its potential mechanisms. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;170:262-270 pubmed publisher..These effects were observed at environmentally relevant concentrations and highlight the importance of controlling SMC contamination. ..
- Yelin Bekerman L, Elbaz I, Diber A, Dahary D, Gibbs Bar L, Alon S, et al. Hypocretin neuron-specific transcriptome profiling identifies the sleep modulator Kcnh4a. elife. 2015;4:e08638 pubmed publisher..The mutant kcnh4a (kcnh4a(-/-)) larvae showed reduced sleep time and consolidation, specifically during the night, suggesting that Kcnh4a regulates sleep. ..
- Del Bene F, Wyart C, Robles E, Tran A, Looger L, Scott E, et al. Filtering of visual information in the tectum by an identified neural circuit. Science. 2010;330:669-73 pubmed publisher..Photo-ablation of these cells with KillerRed, or silencing of their synaptic transmission, eliminates the size tuning of deeper layers and impairs the capture of prey...
- Kim O, Cho H, Han E, Hong T, Ariyasiri K, Choi J, et al. Zebrafish knockout of Down syndrome gene, DYRK1A, shows social impairments relevant to autism. Mol Autism. 2017;8:50 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate the functional deficiency of DYRK1A as an underlying disease mechanism for autism. We also propose simple social behavioral assays as a tool for the broader study of autism candidate genes. ..
- Pena I, Roussel Y, Daniel K, Mongeon K, Johnstone D, Weinschutz Mendes H, et al. Pyridoxine-Dependent Epilepsy in Zebrafish Caused by Aldh7a1 Deficiency. Genetics. 2017;207:1501-1518 pubmed publisher..This novel model provides valuable insights into PDE pathophysiology; further research may offer new opportunities for drug discovery to control seizure activity and improve neurodevelopmental outcomes for PDE. ..
- Wang X, Yang N, Uno E, Roeder R, Guo S. A subunit of the mediator complex regulates vertebrate neuronal development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17284-9 pubmed..Together, our analyses reveal a regulatory role of Mot/Med12 in vertebrate neuronal development. ..