Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fshb
Description: follicle stimulating hormone subunit beta
Alias: gthI, follitropin subunit beta, FSH Beta, Gth I, follicle stimulating hormone, beta polypeptide, follicle-stimulating hormone beta subunit
- Spicer O, Wong T, Zmora N, Zohar Y. Targeted Mutagenesis of the Hypophysiotropic Gnrh3 in Zebrafish (Danio rerio) Reveals No Effects on Reproductive Performance. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0158141 pubmed publisher..However, other than changes in mRNA levels of pituitary gonadotropin genes (fshb, lhb, and cga) during early development, which are corrected by adulthood, there were no changes in ontogeny and ..
- Chen W, Lau S, Fan Y, Wu R, Ge W. Juvenile exposure to bisphenol A promotes ovarian differentiation but suppresses its growth - Potential involvement of pituitary follicle-stimulating hormone. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;193:111-121 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, BPA and E2 significantly suppressed fshb but stimulated lhb expression in the pituitary...
- Kwon B, Ha N, Jung J, Kim P, Kho Y, Choi K, et al. Effects of Barium Chloride Exposure on Hormones and Genes of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Gonad Axis, and Reproduction of Zebrafish (Danio rerio). Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 2016;96:341-6 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that BaCl2 could modulate gene transcriptions and hormone production of the HPG axis in a sex-dependent way, which could cause adverse effects on reproduction and the development of offspring. ..
- Urbatzka R, Rocha E, Reis B, Cruzeiro C, Monteiro R, Rocha M. Effects of ethinylestradiol and of an environmentally relevant mixture of xenoestrogens on steroidogenic gene expression and specific transcription factors in zebrafish. Environ Pollut. 2012;164:28-35 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that "non-classical effects" of estrogenic EDC in fish are mediated via transcription factors. ..
- Liu W, Chen C, Chen L, Wang L, Li J, Chen Y, et al. Sex-dependent effects of microcystin-LR on hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis and gametogenesis of adult zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22819 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study first investigated the sex-dependent effects of microcystins on fish reproduction and revealed some important molecular biomarkers related to gametogenesis in zebrafish suffered from MC-LR. ..
- Kobayashi T, Andersen Ø. The gonadotropin receptors FSH-R and LH-R of Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus), 1: isolation of multiple transcripts encoding full-length and truncated variants of FSH-R. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2008;156:584-94 pubmed publisher..Based on the DNA sequence variation and chromosomal organization of the gonadotropin receptors in several teleosts, we propose that the encoding genes have been duplicated in the fish lineage. ..
- Chen J, Chiou M, Chen L, Wu J. Molecular cloning and functional analysis of the zebrafish follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH)beta promoter. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;155:155-63 pubmed publisher..Morphological studies of transgenic zebrafish indicated that the FSHbeta promoter-driven GFP transcripts appeared in the heart, skin, and vertebrae. ..
- Cao F, Zhu L, Li H, Yu S, Wang C, Qiu L. Reproductive toxicity of azoxystrobin to adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut. 2016;219:1109-1121 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, expression alterations of genes encoding gonadotropins and gonadotropin receptors (fshb, lhb, fshr and lhr), steroid hormone receptors (era, er2b and ar), steroidogenic enzymes (cyp11a, cyp11b, cyp17, ..
- Ji K, Hong S, Kho Y, Choi K. Effects of bisphenol s exposure on endocrine functions and reproduction of zebrafish. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:8793-800 pubmed publisher..Our observations showed that exposure to low level BPS could affect the feedback regulatory circuits of HPG axis and impair the development of offspring. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S, et al. A time-course transcriptional kinetics of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes in zebrafish eleutheroembryos after exposure to norgestrel. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2015;34:112-9 pubmed publisher..The transcriptional expression levels of Esr1, Ar, Star, Hsd17b3, Fshb, and Pomc were also mediated by 5â€‰ngâ€‰L(-1) norgestrel or higher during different exposure periods...
- Chen W, Ge W. Ontogenic expression profiles of gonadotropins (fshb and lhb) and growth hormone (gh) during sexual differentiation and puberty onset in female zebrafish. Biol Reprod. 2012;86:73 pubmed publisher..quantitative PCR (qPCR), this study was undertaken to analyze the ontogenic expression patterns of FSHbeta (fshb) and LHbeta (lhb) subunits in the zebrafish pituitary, with particular emphasis on the stage of sexual ..
- Zucchi S, Mirbahai L, Castiglioni S, Fent K. Transcriptional and physiological responses induced by binary mixtures of drospirenone and progesterone in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Sci Technol. 2014;48:3523-31 pubmed publisher..Effects of DRS and P4 were additive for most of the investigated parameters and occurred at environmentally relevant concentrations. They may translate to adverse reproductive effects in fish. ..
- Zhang Z, Zhu B, Ge W. Genetic analysis of zebrafish gonadotropin (FSH and LH) functions by TALEN-mediated gene disruption. Mol Endocrinol. 2015;29:76-98 pubmed publisher..FSH-deficient zebrafish (fshb(-/-)) were surprisingly fertile in both sexes; however, the development of both the ovary and testis was ..
- Shi J, Jiao Z, Zheng S, Li M, Zhang J, Feng Y, et al. Long-term effects of bisphenol AF (BPAF) on hormonal balance and genes of hypothalamus-pituitary-gonad axis and liver of zebrafish (Danio rerio), and the impact on offspring. Chemosphere. 2015;128:252-7 pubmed publisher..A potential consequence of adverse effects in the offspring by BPAF deserves further investigation. ..
- Han X, Lei E, Lam M, Wu R. A whole life cycle assessment on effects of waterborne PBDEs on gene expression profile along the brain-pituitary-gonad axis and in the liver of zebrafish. Mar Pollut Bull. 2011;63:160-5 pubmed publisher..The observed disruption of GnRH and GtHs can be further related to the subsequent disruption in both levels and balance sex steroid hormones. ..
- Fontaine R, Affaticati P, Yamamoto K, Jolly C, Bureau C, Baloche S, et al. Dopamine inhibits reproduction in female zebrafish (Danio rerio) via three pituitary D2 receptor subtypes. Endocrinology. 2013;154:807-18 pubmed publisher..These results show for the first time that, in zebrafish, DA has a direct and potent inhibitory action capable of opposing the stimulatory effect of GnRH in the neuroendocrine control of reproduction. ..
- Siegenthaler P, Bain P, Riva F, Fent K. Effects of antiandrogenic progestins, chlormadinone and cyproterone acetate, and the estrogen 17?-ethinylestradiol (EE2), and their mixtures: Transactivation with human and rainbowfish hormone receptors and transcriptional effects in zebrafish (Danio. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;182:142-162 pubmed publisher..in significant transcriptional alterations of several genes, including esr1, pgr, vtg1, cyp19b, and gonadotropins (fshb, lhb)...
- Huang W, Hsieh J, Chiou M, Chen J, Wu J, Kuo C. Application of RNAi technology to the inhibition of zebrafish GtHalpha, FSHbeta, and LHbeta expression and to functional analyses. Zoolog Sci. 2008;25:614-21 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show that GtHalpha-shRNA, which more efficiently targets RNAi, may have an essential role in the further development of sterility technology of transgenic fish for biosafety purposes. ..
- Ma Y, Cao C, Wang Q, Gui W, Zhu G. Effects of azocyclotin on gene transcription and steroid metabolome of hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis, and their consequences on reproduction in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2016;179:55-64 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results indicate that exposure to azocyclotin can impair reproduction in fish, and induce toxicity related abnormalities in non-exposed offspring. ..
- Siegenthaler P, Zhao Y, Zhang K, Fent K. Reproductive and transcriptional effects of the antiandrogenic progestin chlormadinone acetate in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut. 2017;223:346-356 pubmed publisher..The observed effects were weaker than those of other very potent progestins, which is probably related to the lack of interaction of CMA with the zebrafish progesterone receptor. ..
- Dang Y, Wang J, Giesy J, Liu C. Responses of the zebrafish hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal-liver axis PCR array to prochloraz are dependent on timing of sampling. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:154-9 pubmed publisher..Correlations among parameters in samples collected at the two times indicated the effects might be due to different concentrations of E2 in plasma due to exposure to PCZ. ..
- Wong A, Van Eenennaam A. Gonadotropin hormone and receptor sequences from model teleost species. Zebrafish. 2004;1:203-21 pubmed publisher..a combination of database searching and molecular approaches to identify the FSH and LH gonadotropin beta-subunits (fshb and lhb, respectively), and the LH receptor (lhr) from two model teleost species: zebrafish (Danio rerio) and Fugu (..
- He W, Dai X, Chen X, He J, Yin Z. Zebrafish pituitary gene expression before and after sexual maturation. J Endocrinol. 2014;221:429-40 pubmed publisher..For the first time, we report the quantitative global gene expression patterns at the juvenile and sexual maturity stages. These expression patterns may account for the dynamic neuroendocrine regulation observed in body metabolism. ..
- Yumnamcha T, Khan Z, Rajiv C, Devi S, Mondal G, Sanjita Devi H, et al. Interaction of melatonin and gonadotropin-inhibitory hormone on the zebrafish brain-pituitary-reproductive axis. Mol Reprod Dev. 2017;84:389-400 pubmed publisher..Expression of gnrh3, however, was high in both continuous photic conditions (DD and LL), whereas fshb and lhb were high only during DD...
- Baudiffier D, Hinfray N, Ravaud C, Creusot N, Chadili E, Porcher J, et al. Effect of in vivo chronic exposure to clotrimazole on zebrafish testis function. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2013;20:2747-60 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrated that clotrimazole is able to affect testicular physiology and raised further concern about the impact of clotrimazole on reproduction. ..
- So W, Kwok H, Ge W. Zebrafish gonadotropins and their receptors: II. Cloning and characterization of zebrafish follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone subunits--their spatial-temporal expression patterns and receptor specificity. Biol Reprod. 2005;72:1382-96 pubmed..In the present study, we cloned and characterized zebrafish FSHbeta (fshb), LHbeta (lhb), and GTHalpha (cga) subunits...
- Han J, Wang Q, Wang X, Li Y, Wen S, Liu S, et al. The synthetic progestin megestrol acetate adversely affects zebrafish reproduction. Aquat Toxicol. 2014;150:66-72 pubmed publisher..The present study showed that MTA is a potent endocrine disruptor in fish, and short-term exposure to MTA could significantly affect reproduction in fish and negatively impact the fish population. ..
- Ji K, Liu X, Lee S, Kang S, Kho Y, Giesy J, et al. Effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on hormones and genes of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis, and reproduction of zebrafish. J Hazard Mater. 2013;254-255:242-51 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that ibuprofen could modulate hormone production and related gene transcription of the HPG axis in a sex-dependent way, which could cause adverse effects on reproduction and the development of offspring. ..
- Valcarce D, Vuelta E, Robles V, Herraez M. Paternal exposure to environmental 17-alpha-ethinylestradiol concentrations modifies testicular transcription, affecting the sperm transcript content and the offspring performance in zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;193:18-29 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that the effects induced by environmental toxicants can be paternally inherited and point to the changes on the sperm transcriptome as the responsible mechanism...
- Yu X, Lin S, Kobayashi M, Ge W. Expression of recombinant zebrafish follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) in methylotropic yeast Pichia pastoris. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2010;36:273-81 pubmed publisher..One form (zfFSH) was produced as the molecule closer to the native form, with the two subunits (Cga and Fshb) expressed separately under different promoters...
- Zucchi S, Castiglioni S, Fent K. Progesterone alters global transcription profiles at environmental concentrations in brain and ovary of female zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:12548-56 pubmed publisher..The data show molecular effects and the modes of action of P4 at environmental concentrations. Ultimately they may translate to adverse effects on reproduction. ..
- Zhang W, Sheng N, Wang M, Zhang H, Dai J. Zebrafish reproductive toxicity induced by chronic perfluorononanoate exposure. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:269-76 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that chronic exposure to PFNA can lead to dysfunction in the HPGL axis and sex hormone synthesis and cause adverse effects on fish reproduction. ..
- Kwok H, So W, Wang Y, Ge W. Zebrafish gonadotropins and their receptors: I. Cloning and characterization of zebrafish follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone receptors--evidence for their distinct functions in follicle development. Biol Reprod. 2005;72:1370-81 pubmed..These results suggest differential roles for Fshr and Lhr in zebrafish ovarian follicle development. ..
- Svensson J, Mustafa A, Fick J, Schmitz M, Brunström B. Developmental exposure to progestins causes male bias and precocious puberty in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2016;177:316-23 pubmed publisher..Our results show that progestins can affect sexual development in fish and that the androgenic progestin levonorgestrel induces a male phenotype at concentrations similar to those detected in aquatic environments. ..
- Jo A, Ji K, Choi K. Endocrine disruption effects of long-term exposure to perfluorodecanoic acid (PFDA) and perfluorotridecanoic acid (PFTrDA) in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and related mechanisms. Chemosphere. 2014;108:360-6 pubmed publisher..Consequences of endocrine disruptions in reproduction performances of the fish warrant further investigation. ..
- Yang Q, Yang X, Liu J, Ren W, Chen Y, Shen S. Effects of BPF on steroid hormone homeostasis and gene expression in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis of zebrafish. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:21311-21322 pubmed publisher..These alterations suggest that BPF leads to adverse effects on the endocrine system of teleost fish, and that these effects were more prominent in males than in females. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Lin Z, Li J, Yang J, Zhong L, et al. Reproductive effects of synthetic progestin norgestrel in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2018;190:17-24 pubmed publisher..NGT led to a significant up-regulation of follicle stimulating hormone, beta polypeptide (fshb), luteinizing hormone, beta polypeptide (lhb), progesterone receptor (pgr), estrogen receptor 1 (esr1) and androgen ..
- Liu C, Yu L, Deng J, Lam P, Wu R, Zhou B. Waterborne exposure to fluorotelomer alcohol 6:2 FTOH alters plasma sex hormone and gene transcription in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis of zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2009;93:131-7 pubmed publisher..The results suggested that FTOHs may disturb fish reproduction through endocrine disrupted activity. ..
- Golan M, Biran J, Levavi Sivan B. A novel model for development, organization, and function of gonadotropes in fish pituitary. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2014;5:182 pubmed publisher..Transgene fluorescence reflected the expression pattern of the endogenous fshb gene...
- Kang H, Moon H, Choi K. Toxicological responses following short-term exposure through gavage feeding or water-borne exposure to Dechlorane Plus in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2016;146:226-32 pubmed publisher..Our observations indicate for the first time that DP disrupts thyroid hormone balance of zebrafish by altering regulatory pathways in the brain. Handling editor: David Volz. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S, et al. The effects of progesterone on transcriptional expression profiles of genes associated with hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes during the early development of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2015;128:199-206 pubmed publisher..other target genes related to hypothalamic and pituitary hormones, P4 mainly modulated the transcripts of Gnrh2, Fshb and Lhb genes at 6 ng L(-1) or higher...
- Song Y, Tao B, Chen J, Jia S, Zhu Z, Trudeau V, et al. GABAergic Neurons and Their Modulatory Effects on GnRH3 in Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2017;158:874-886 pubmed publisher..The expression of pituitary lh? and fsh? was stimulated by intraperitoneal injection of baclofen in adult fish. We conclude that GABA via GABAB receptors regulates GnRH3 neurons in a developmentally dependent manner in zebrafish. ..
- Hoffmann J, Oris J. Altered gene expression: a mechanism for reproductive toxicity in zebrafish exposed to benzo[a]pyrene. Aquat Toxicol. 2006;78:332-40 pubmed
- Chu L, Li J, Liu Y, Cheng C. Gonadotropin Signaling in Zebrafish Ovary and Testis Development: Insights From Gene Knockout Study. Mol Endocrinol. 2015;29:1743-58 pubmed publisher..Here, we have further established the fshb and fshr knockout zebrafish lines. In females, fshb mutant is subfertile, whereas fshr mutant is infertile...
- Tang H, Liu Y, Luo D, Ogawa S, Yin Y, Li S, et al. The kiss/kissr systems are dispensable for zebrafish reproduction: evidence from gene knockout studies. Endocrinology. 2015;156:589-99 pubmed publisher..These findings also demonstrated that fish and mammals have evolved different strategies for neuroendocrine control of reproduction. ..
- Zhang C, Forlano P, Cone R. AgRP and POMC neurons are hypophysiotropic and coordinately regulate multiple endocrine axes in a larval teleost. Cell Metab. 2012;15:256-64 pubmed publisher..This identifies the mechanism by which the central melanocortin system coordinately regulates growth and reproduction in teleosts and suggests it is an important anatomical substrate for evolutionary adaptation. ..
- Nica G, Herzog W, Sonntag C, Nowak M, Schwarz H, Zapata A, et al. Eya1 is required for lineage-specific differentiation, but not for cell survival in the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Dev Biol. 2006;292:189-204 pubmed..Eya1 is required for lineage-specific differentiation of adenohypophyseal cells, but not for their survival, thereby uncoupling the differentiation-promoting and anti-apoptotic effects of Eya proteins seen in other tissues. ..
- Prasad P, Ogawa S, Parhar I. Serotonin reuptake inhibitor citalopram inhibits GnRH synthesis and spermatogenesis in the male zebrafish. Biol Reprod. 2015;93:102 pubmed publisher..4 and 40 Î¼g/L, respectively) of citalopram significantly decreased mRNA levels of gnrh3, gonadotropins (lhb and fshb) and 5-HT-related genes (tph2 and sert) in the male zebrafish...