Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: foxi1
Description: forkhead box i1
Alias: cb724, foo, forkhead box protein I2, hearsay, hsy, no soul, nos, quadro, quo(l)
- Hans S, Liu D, Westerfield M. Pax8 and Pax2a function synergistically in otic specification, downstream of the Foxi1 and Dlx3b transcription factors. Development. 2004;131:5091-102 pubmed..further provide evidence that pax8 expression and pax2a expression are regulated by two independent factors, Foxi1 and Dlx3b, respectively. Combined loss of both factors eliminates all indications of otic specification...
- Solomon K, Kwak S, Fritz A. Genetic interactions underlying otic placode induction and formation. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:419-33 pubmed..In zebrafish, fgf3 and fgf8, dlx3b and dlx4b, and foxi1 have been identified as the earliest-acting genes in this process...
- Nissen R, Yan J, Amsterdam A, Hopkins N, Burgess S. Zebrafish foxi one modulates cellular responses to Fgf signaling required for the integrity of ear and jaw patterning. Development. 2003;130:2543-54 pubmed..We identified foxi one (foo), the zebrafish ortholog of Foxi1 (FREAC6, FKHL10, HFH-3, Fkh10) and a member of the forkhead domain transcriptional regulator family, as the gene ..
- Solomon K, Kudoh T, Dawid I, Fritz A. Zebrafish foxi1 mediates otic placode formation and jaw development. Development. 2003;130:929-40 pubmed..Here, we identify a mutation in zebrafish, hearsay, which disrupts the initiation of placode formation...
- Hans S, Irmscher A, Brand M. Zebrafish Foxi1 provides a neuronal ground state during inner ear induction preceding the Dlx3b/4b-regulated sensory lineage. Development. 2013;140:1936-45 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, the otic-epibranchial progenitor domain (OEPD) is induced by Fgf signaling in a Foxi1- and Dlx3b/4b-dependent manner, but the functional differences of Foxi1 and Dlx3b/4b in subsequent cell fate ..
- Kudoh T, Concha M, Houart C, Dawid I, Wilson S. Combinatorial Fgf and Bmp signalling patterns the gastrula ectoderm into prospective neural and epidermal domains. Development. 2004;131:3581-92 pubmed..We further show that Bmp signalling does occur within the vegetal prospective neural domain and that Bmp activity promotes the adoption of caudal fate by this tissue. ..
- Esaki M, Hoshijima K, Nakamura N, Munakata K, Tanaka M, Ookata K, et al. Mechanism of development of ionocytes rich in vacuolar-type H(+)-ATPase in the skin of zebrafish larvae. Dev Biol. 2009;329:116-29 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we analyzed a zebrafish mutant, quadro (quo), deficient in foxi1 gene expression and found that foxi1 is essential for development of an MRC ..
- Lee S, Shen E, Fiser A, Sali A, Guo S. The zebrafish forkhead transcription factor Foxi1 specifies epibranchial placode-derived sensory neurons. Development. 2003;130:2669-79 pubmed..Here we report that the zebrafish mutation no soul, in which epibranchial placodes are defective, disrupts the fork headrelated, winged helix domain-containing ..
- Seiliez I, Thisse B, Thisse C. FoxA3 and goosecoid promote anterior neural fate through inhibition of Wnt8a activity before the onset of gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2006;290:152-63 pubmed..Altogether, foxA3 and goosecoid cooperate to promote formation of anterior neural tissue by protecting, as early as blastula stage, presumptive anterior neural cells from an irreversible caudalization by the posteriorizing factor Wnt8a. ..
- LeClair E, Mui S, Huang A, Topczewska J, Topczewski J. Craniofacial skeletal defects of adult zebrafish Glypican 4 (knypek) mutants. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2550-63 pubmed publisher..In contrast, gpc4(-/-) larvae never form these domains, suggesting a failure of chondrocyte orientation, though not differentiation. Our findings implicate Gpc4 in the regulation of zebrafish cartilage and bone morphogenesis. ..
- Xie X, Liu J, Hu B, Xiao W. Zebrafish foxo3b negatively regulates canonical Wnt signaling to affect early embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24469 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide an in vivo model for illustrating function of FOXO transcription factors in embryogenesis. ..
- Dutton K, Abbas L, Spencer J, Brannon C, Mowbray C, Nikaido M, et al. A zebrafish model for Waardenburg syndrome type IV reveals diverse roles for Sox10 in the otic vesicle. Dis Model Mech. 2009;2:68-83 pubmed publisher..We discuss the implication that the deafness in WS4 patients with SOX10 mutations might reflect a haploinsufficiency for SOX10 in the otic epithelium, resulting in patterning and functional abnormalities in the inner ear. ..
- Guo S, Wilson S, Cooke S, Chitnis A, Driever W, Rosenthal A. Mutations in the zebrafish unmask shared regulatory pathways controlling the development of catecholaminergic neurons. Dev Biol. 1999;208:473-87 pubmed..The too few mutation leads to a specific reduction in the number of hypothalamic DA neurons. no soul lacks arch-associated NA cells and has defects in pharyngeal arches, and soulless lacks both arch-associated and ..
- Dee C, Gibson A, Rengifo A, Sun S, Patient R, Scotting P. A change in response to Bmp signalling precedes ectodermal fate choice. Int J Dev Biol. 2007;51:79-84 pubmed..Hence, we have shown a dynamic change in the molecular machinery underlying the Bmp response in the ectoderm during gastrulation stages of development. ..
- Malicki J, Schier A, Solnica Krezel L, Stemple D, Neuhauss S, Stainier D, et al. Mutations affecting development of the zebrafish ear. Development. 1996;123:275-83 pubmed..Embryos mutant at the quadro locus display abnormal specification of the otic placode...
- Edlund R, Ohyama T, Kantarci H, Riley B, Groves A. Foxi transcription factors promote pharyngeal arch development by regulating formation of FGF signaling centers. Dev Biol. 2014;390:1-13 pubmed publisher..Zebrafish foxi1 is also expressed in branchial arch ectoderm and endoderm, and morpholino knock-down of foxi1 also causes ..
- Solomon K, Logsdon J, Fritz A. Expression and phylogenetic analyses of three zebrafish FoxI class genes. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:301-7 pubmed publisher..We have reported previously the identification of zebrafish foxi1, which is required for otic placode and jaw development...
- Hu Z, Zhang Q, Qin W, Tong J, Zhao Q, Han Y, et al. Gene miles-apart is required for formation of otic vesicle and hair cells in zebrafish. Cell Death Dis. 2013;4:e900 pubmed publisher..Mil) dysregulation also caused abnormal expression of hearing-associated genes, including hmx2, fgf3, fgf8a, foxi1, otop1, pax2.1 and tmieb during zebrafish organogenesis...
- Dutta S, Dawid I. Kctd15 inhibits neural crest formation by attenuating Wnt/beta-catenin signaling output. Development. 2010;137:3013-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that Kctd15 inhibits NC formation by attenuating the output of the canonical Wnt pathway, thereby restricting expansion of the NC domain beyond its normal range...
- Nicolson T. The genetics of hearing and balance in zebrafish. Annu Rev Genet. 2005;39:9-22 pubmed..This review addresses the most recent advances in our understanding of how the ear forms and discusses the molecules in hair cells that are essential for sensing sound and movement in the zebrafish. ..
- Zeng J, Yan J, Wang T, Mosbrook Davis D, Dolan K, Christensen R, et al. Genome wide screens in yeast to identify potential binding sites and target genes of DNA-binding proteins. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:e8 pubmed..The experimental approach was validated with the tumor suppressor protein p53 and the forkhead protein FoxI1 using genomic libraries for zebrafish and mouse generated by shotgun cloning of short genomic fragments...
- Wendl T, Adzic D, Schoenebeck J, Scholpp S, Brand M, Yelon D, et al. Early developmental specification of the thyroid gland depends on han-expressing surrounding tissue and on FGF signals. Development. 2007;134:2871-9 pubmed..FGF-soaked beads can restore thyroid development in han mutants, showing that FGFs act downstream of or in parallel to han. These data suggest that loss of FGF-expressing tissue in han mutants is responsible for the thyroid defects. ..
- Poulain M, Fürthauer M, Thisse B, Thisse C, Lepage T. Zebrafish endoderm formation is regulated by combinatorial Nodal, FGF and BMP signalling. Development. 2006;133:2189-200 pubmed..These results identify a molecular mechanism whereby FGF attenuates Nodal-induced endodermal transcription factors and highlight a potential mechanism whereby mesoderm and endoderm fates could segregate from each other. ..
- Yaklichkin S, Vekker A, Stayrook S, Lewis M, Kessler D. Prevalence of the EH1 Groucho interaction motif in the metazoan Fox family of transcriptional regulators. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:201 pubmed
- Barresi M, Burton S, Dipietrantonio K, Amsterdam A, Hopkins N, Karlstrom R. Essential genes for astroglial development and axon pathfinding during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2603-18 pubmed publisher..The genes disrupted in these viral lines have all been identified, providing a powerful new resource for the study of axon guidance, glio- and neurogenesis, and neuron-glial interactions during development of the vertebrate CNS. ..
- Yao D, Zhao F, Wu Y, Wang J, Dong W, Zhao J, et al. Dissecting the differentiation process of the preplacodal ectoderm in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1338-51 pubmed publisher..The caudal PPR fate dominates when foxi1 expression is enhanced at the late gastrula stage, and depleting Foxi1 after 6 hours postfertilization (hpf) ..
- Lu F, Sun Y, Wei C, Thisse C, Thisse B. Tissue-specific derepression of TCF/LEF controls the activity of the Wnt/Î²-catenin pathway. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5368 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel level of regulation of the canonical Wnt/Î²-catenin signalling pathway occurring in the nucleus and involving tissue-specific derepression of TCF by Lbx2. ..
- Cruz C, Maegawa S, Weinberg E, Wilson S, Dawid I, Kudoh T. Induction and patterning of trunk and tail neural ectoderm by the homeobox gene eve1 in zebrafish embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3564-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that eve1 is crucial for the organization of the antero-posterior and dorso-ventral axis in the gastrula ectoderm and also has trunk- and tail-promoting activity...
- Belting H, Wendik B, Lunde K, Leichsenring M, Mössner R, Driever W, et al. Pou5f1 contributes to dorsoventral patterning by positive regulation of vox and modulation of fgf8a expression. Dev Biol. 2011;356:323-36 pubmed publisher..Our data reveals a set of direct and indirect interactions of Pou5f1 with the BMP dorsoventral patterning network that serve to fine-tune dorsoventral patterning mechanisms and coordinate patterning with developmental timing. ..
- Padanad M, Bhat N, Guo B, Riley B. Conditions that influence the response to Fgf during otic placode induction. Dev Biol. 2012;364:1-10 pubmed publisher..Elevated Fgf also expands expression of the putative competence factor Foxi1, which is required for Fgf to expand other otic markers...
- Serifi I, Tzima E, Soupsana K, Karetsou Z, Beis D, Papamarcaki T. The zebrafish homologs of SET/I2PP2A oncoprotein: expression patterns and insights into their physiological roles during development. Biochem J. 2016;473:4609-4627 pubmed..Collectively, our results suggest that seta and setb are required during embryogenesis and play roles in the zebrafish sensory system development. ..
- Wang X, He H, Tang W, Zhang X, Hua X, Yan J. Two origins of blastemal progenitors define blastemal regeneration of zebrafish lower jaw. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45380 pubmed publisher..These cells are transformed into two populations of blastemal progenitors: foxi1-expression and isl1-expression, before giving rise to cartilage, bone, and muscle...
- Chen X, Shi W, Wang F, Du Z, Yang Y, Gao M, et al. Zinc finger DHHC-type containing 13 regulates fate specification of ectoderm and mesoderm cell lineages by modulating Smad6 activity. Stem Cells Dev. 2014;23:1899-909 pubmed publisher..Our results extended the cellular role of Zdhhc13, suggesting that it acts as a regulator in BMP signaling, and established that the embryonic function of Zdhhc13 is in lineage specification. ..
- Mackereth M, Kwak S, Fritz A, Riley B. Zebrafish pax8 is required for otic placode induction and plays a redundant role with Pax2 genes in the maintenance of the otic placode. Development. 2005;132:371-82 pubmed..In contrast, the phenotype caused by disrupting foxi1, which is required for pax8 expression, was not enhanced by simultaneously disrupting pax8...
- Holzschuh J, Wada N, Wada C, Schaffer A, Javidan Y, Tallafuss A, et al. Requirements for endoderm and BMP signaling in sensory neurogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:3731-42 pubmed..Our results show that the endoderm regulates the differentiation of cranial sensory ganglia, which coordinates the cranial nerves with the segments that they innervate...
- Jia S, Dai F, Wu D, Lin X, Xing C, Xue Y, et al. Protein phosphatase 4 cooperates with Smads to promote BMP signaling in dorsoventral patterning of zebrafish embryos. Dev Cell. 2012;22:1065-78 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ppp4c is a critical positive regulator of BMP/Smad signaling during embryonic dorsoventral pattern formation in zebrafish. ..
- Kwon H, Bhat N, Sweet E, Cornell R, Riley B. Identification of early requirements for preplacodal ectoderm and sensory organ development. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001133 pubmed publisher..Initially, Bmp is required before gastrulation to co-induce four transcription factors, Tfap2a, Tfap2c, Foxi1, and Gata3, which establish preplacodal competence throughout the nonneural ectoderm...
- McCarroll M, Nechiporuk A. Fgf3 and Fgf10a work in concert to promote maturation of the epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e85087 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the importance and complexity of reiterated Fgf signaling during cranial placode formation and subsequent sensory organ development. ..
- Kucenas S, Cox J, Soto F, Lamora A, Voigt M. Ectodermal P2X receptor function plays a pivotal role in craniofacial development of the zebrafish. Purinergic Signal. 2009;5:395-407 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that p2rx3.1 function in ectodermal cells is involved in purinergic signaling essential for proper craniofacial development and sensory circuit formation in the embryonic and larval zebrafish. ..
- Dal Pra S, Fürthauer M, Van Celst J, Thisse B, Thisse C. Noggin1 and Follistatin-like2 function redundantly to Chordin to antagonize BMP activity. Dev Biol. 2006;298:514-26 pubmed
- Bhat N, Kwon H, Riley B. A gene network that coordinates preplacodal competence and neural crest specification in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;373:107-17 pubmed publisher..Elevated Bmp establishes preplacodal competence throughout the ventral ectoderm by coinducing Tfap2a, Tfap2c, Foxi1 and Gata3...
- Hogan B, Hunter M, Oates A, Crowhurst M, Hall N, Heath J, et al. Zebrafish gcm2 is required for gill filament budding from pharyngeal ectoderm. Dev Biol. 2004;276:508-22 pubmed..This study identifies yet another role for a GCM gene in embryonic development and indicates a role for gcm2 during the evolution of divergent pharyngeal morphologies. ..
- Wei C, Wang H, Zhu Z, Sun Y. Transcriptional factors smad1 and smad9 act redundantly to mediate zebrafish ventral specification downstream of smad5. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:6604-18 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study uncovers that smad1 and smad9 act redundantly to each other downstream of smad5 to mediate ventral specification and to regulate embryonic myelopoiesis. ..
- Abbas L, Whitfield T. Nkcc1 (Slc12a2) is required for the regulation of endolymph volume in the otic vesicle and swim bladder volume in the zebrafish larva. Development. 2009;136:2837-48 pubmed publisher..This exemplifies the use of morpholinos as potential therapeutic agents for genetic disease...
- Varga M, Maegawa S, Bellipanni G, Weinberg E. Chordin expression, mediated by Nodal and FGF signaling, is restricted by redundant function of two beta-catenins in the zebrafish embryo. Mech Dev. 2007;124:775-91 pubmed
- Hans S, Westerfield M. Changes in retinoic acid signaling alter otic patterning. Development. 2007;134:2449-58 pubmed..Excess RA leads to ectopic foxi1 expression throughout the entire preplacodal domain. Foxi1 provides competence to adopt an otic fate...