Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: foxd3
Description: forkhead box D3
Alias: fkd-6, fkd6, fkh6, forkhead-6, zgc:111934, forkhead box protein D3, fork head domain protein 6, mother superior
- Yamauchi H, Goto M, Katayama M, Miyake A, Itoh N. Fgf20b is required for the ectomesenchymal fate establishment of cranial neural crest cells in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;409:705-10 pubmed publisher..Fgfr1 knockdown embryos also showed dysplastic neurocranial and pharyngeal cartilages. The present findings indicate that Fgf20b is required for ectomesenchymal fate establishment via the activation of Fgfr1 in zebrafish...
- Piloto S, Schilling T. Ovo1 links Wnt signaling with N-cadherin localization during neural crest migration. Development. 2010;137:1981-90 pubmed publisher..Similar processes probably occur in other cell types in which Wnt signaling promotes migration. ..
- Lister J, Robertson C, Lepage T, Johnson S, Raible D. nacre encodes a zebrafish microphthalmia-related protein that regulates neural-crest-derived pigment cell fate. Development. 1999;126:3757-67 pubmed
- O Brien E, d Alençon C, Bonde G, Li W, Schoenebeck J, Allende M, et al. Transcription factor Ap-2alpha is necessary for development of embryonic melanophores, autonomic neurons and pharyngeal skeleton in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2004;265:246-61 pubmed..These results reveal that Ap-2alpha regulates multiple steps of melanophore development, and is required for development of other neuronal and non-neuronal neural crest derivatives...
- Wang W, Melville D, Montero Balaguer M, Hatzopoulos A, Knapik E. Tfap2a and Foxd3 regulate early steps in the development of the neural crest progenitor population. Dev Biol. 2011;360:173-85 pubmed publisher..Double mutant tfap2a (mont blanc, mob) and foxd3 (mother superior, mos) mob;mos zebrafish embryos completely lack all neural crest-derived tissues...
- Glavic A, Maris Honoré S, Gloria Feijóo C, Bastidas F, Allende M, Mayor R. Role of BMP signaling and the homeoprotein Iroquois in the specification of the cranial placodal field. Dev Biol. 2004;272:89-103 pubmed
- Montero Balaguer M, Lang M, Sachdev S, Knappmeyer C, Stewart R, De La Guardia A, et al. The mother superior mutation ablates foxd3 activity in neural crest progenitor cells and depletes neural crest derivatives in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3199-212 pubmedThe zebrafish mutation mother superior (mosm188) leads to a depletion of neural crest (NC) derivatives including the craniofacial cartilage skeleton, the peripheral nervous system (sympathetic neurons, dorsal root ganglia, enteric ..
- Lewis J, Bonner J, Modrell M, Ragland J, Moon R, Dorsky R, et al. Reiterated Wnt signaling during zebrafish neural crest development. Development. 2004;131:1299-308 pubmed..Taken together, these results demonstrate that Wnt signals are critical for the initial induction of zebrafish neural crest and suggest that this signaling pathway plays reiterated roles in its development. ..
- Phillips B, Kwon H, Melton C, Houghtaling P, Fritz A, Riley B. Zebrafish msxB, msxC and msxE function together to refine the neural-nonneural border and regulate cranial placodes and neural crest development. Dev Biol. 2006;294:376-90 pubmed..These data suggest that mutual antagonism between Msx and Dlx proteins achieves a balance of function required for normal preplacodal differentiation and placement of the neural-nonneural border. ..
- Hernandez Lagunas L, Choi I, Kaji T, Simpson P, Hershey C, Zhou Y, et al. Zebrafish narrowminded disrupts the transcription factor prdm1 and is required for neural crest and sensory neuron specification. Dev Biol. 2005;278:347-57 pubmed..Analysis of prdm1 function by overexpression indicates that prdm1 functions to promote the cell fate specification of both neural crest cells and RB sensory neurons, most likely as a downstream effector of the BMP signaling pathway. ..
- Knight R, Nair S, Nelson S, Afshar A, Javidan Y, Geisler R, et al. lockjaw encodes a zebrafish tfap2a required for early neural crest development. Development. 2003;130:5755-68 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that low is required for early steps in neural crest development and suggest that tfap2a is essential for the survival of a subset of neural crest derivatives. ..
- McGraw H, Nechiporuk A, Raible D. Zebrafish dorsal root ganglia neural precursor cells adopt a glial fate in the absence of neurogenin1. J Neurosci. 2008;28:12558-69 pubmed publisher..Neurog1 acts as the key factor in this lineage to direct the formation of sensory neurons. ..
- Hochgreb Hägele T, Bronner M. A novel FoxD3 gene trap line reveals neural crest precursor movement and a role for FoxD3 in their specification. Dev Biol. 2013;374:1-11 pubmed publisher..Here, we present a zebrafish gene/protein trap line gt(foxd3-citrine)(ct110a) that expresses a Citrine fusion protein with FoxD3, a transcription factor expressed in ..
- Eroglu B, Wang G, Tu N, Sun X, Mivechi N. Critical role of Brg1 member of the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex during neurogenesis and neural crest induction in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2722-35 pubmed..This is exhibited by the aberrant brain patterning, a reduction in the sensory neurons, and craniofacial defects. These results further elucidate the critical role for Brg1 in neurogenesis, neural crest induction, and differentiation. ..
- Barrallo Gimeno A, Holzschuh J, Driever W, Knapik E. Neural crest survival and differentiation in zebrafish depends on mont blanc/tfap2a gene function. Development. 2004;131:1463-77 pubmed..in mob(m610) mutant embryos, as revealed by normal expression of early neural crest specific genes such as snail2, foxd3 and sox10...
- Brand M, Heisenberg C, Warga R, Pelegri F, Karlstrom R, Beuchle D, et al. Mutations affecting development of the midline and general body shape during zebrafish embryogenesis. Development. 1996;123:129-42 pubmed..As a working hypothesis, we propose that midline-group genes may act to maintain proper structure and inductive function of zebrafish midline tissues. ..
- Sato M, Tsai H, Yost H. Semaphorin3D regulates invasion of cardiac neural crest cells into the primary heart field. Dev Biol. 2006;298:12-21 pubmed..We propose that a population of sema3D-dependent neural crest cells follow a novel migratory pathway, perhaps toward nrp1A-expressing LPM, and serve as an important early source of cardiomyocytes in the primary heart field. ..
- Tu C, Yang T, Huang H, Tsai H. Zebrafish arl6ip1 is required for neural crest development during embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32899 pubmed publisher..Although the embryonic expression pattern of ADP ribosylation factor-like 6 interacting protein 1 (Arl6ip1) has been reported, its function in neural crest development is unclear...
- Tucker J, Mintzer K, Mullins M. The BMP signaling gradient patterns dorsoventral tissues in a temporally progressive manner along the anteroposterior axis. Dev Cell. 2008;14:108-19 pubmed publisher..We propose that a temporal cue regulates a cell's competence to respond to BMP signaling, allowing the acquisition of a cell's DV and AP identity simultaneously. ..
- Nguyen V, Schmid B, Trout J, Connors S, Ekker M, Mullins M. Ventral and lateral regions of the zebrafish gastrula, including the neural crest progenitors, are established by a bmp2b/swirl pathway of genes. Dev Biol. 1998;199:93-110 pubmed..Based on the alterations in tissue-specific gene expression, we propose a model whereby swirl/bmp2b acts as a morphogen to specify different cell types along the dorsoventral axis. ..
- Zarelli V, Dawid I. Inhibition of neural crest formation by Kctd15 involves regulation of transcription factor AP-2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:2870-5 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Kctd15 acts in the embryo at least in part by specifically binding to the activation domain of AP-2?, thereby blocking the function of this critical factor in the neural crest induction hierarchy. ..
- Curran K, Raible D, Lister J. Foxd3 controls melanophore specification in the zebrafish neural crest by regulation of Mitf. Dev Biol. 2009;332:408-17 pubmed publisherWe describe a mechanistic model whereby Foxd3, a forkhead transcription factor, prevents neural crest-derived precursors from acquiring a melanophore fate...
- Nguyen V, Trout J, Connors S, Andermann P, Weinberg E, Mullins M. Dorsal and intermediate neuronal cell types of the spinal cord are established by a BMP signaling pathway. Development. 2000;127:1209-20 pubmed
- Dorsky R, Moon R, Raible D. Control of neural crest cell fate by the Wnt signalling pathway. Nature. 1998;396:370-3 pubmed..We conclude that endogenous Wnt signalling normally promotes pigment-cell formation by medial crest cells and thereby contributes to the diversity of neural crest cell fates. ..
- Yan Y, Willoughby J, Liu D, Crump J, Wilson C, Miller C, et al. A pair of Sox: distinct and overlapping functions of zebrafish sox9 co-orthologs in craniofacial and pectoral fin development. Development. 2005;132:1069-83 pubmed..animals injected with sox9a and sox9b mRNAs showed that sox9 helps regulate other early crest genes, including foxd3, sox10, snai1b and crestin, as well as the cartilage gene col2a1 and the bone gene runx2a; however, tfap2a was ..
- Drerup C, Wiora H, Topczewski J, Morris J. Disc1 regulates foxd3 and sox10 expression, affecting neural crest migration and differentiation. Development. 2009;136:2623-32 pubmed publisher..cells to migrate away from the neural rod correlated with the enhanced expression of two transcription factors, foxd3 and sox10...
- Lele Z, Folchert A, Concha M, Rauch G, Geisler R, Rosa F, et al. parachute/n-cadherin is required for morphogenesis and maintained integrity of the zebrafish neural tube. Development. 2002;129:3281-94 pubmed..Our results thus highlight novel and crucial in vivo roles for Ncad in the control of cell convergence, maintenance of neuronal positioning and dorsal cell proliferation during vertebrate neural tube development. ..
- Arduini B, Bosse K, Henion P. Genetic ablation of neural crest cell diversification. Development. 2009;136:1987-94 pubmed publisher..Previous studies using mutant zebrafish indicated that foxd3 and tfap2a function early and differentially in the development of neural crest sublineages...
- Curran K, Lister J, Kunkel G, Prendergast A, Parichy D, Raible D. Interplay between Foxd3 and Mitf regulates cell fate plasticity in the zebrafish neural crest. Dev Biol. 2010;344:107-18 pubmed publisher..descend from a common precursor whose fate is regulated by an interplay between the transcription factors Mitf and Foxd3. Loss of mitfa, a key regulator of melanophore development, resulted in supernumerary ectopic iridophores while ..
- Odenthal J, Nusslein Volhard C. fork head domain genes in zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol. 1998;208:245-58 pubmed..RNAs of the three members of class V (fkd6, fkd8 and fkd9) are expressed in the paraxial mesoderm and transiently in the neuroectoderm...
- Schmid B, Fürthauer M, Connors S, Trout J, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Equivalent genetic roles for bmp7/snailhouse and bmp2b/swirl in dorsoventral pattern formation. Development. 2000;127:957-67 pubmed
- Ragland J, Raible D. Signals derived from the underlying mesoderm are dispensable for zebrafish neural crest induction. Dev Biol. 2004;276:16-30 pubmed
- Liedtke D, Winkler C. Midkine-b regulates cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:62-74 pubmed..Our results imply that Mdkb is required for the earliest steps of cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish...
- Wada N, Javidan Y, Nelson S, Carney T, Kelsh R, Schilling T. Hedgehog signaling is required for cranial neural crest morphogenesis and chondrogenesis at the midline in the zebrafish skull. Development. 2005;132:3977-88 pubmed
- Stewart R, Arduini B, Berghmans S, George R, Kanki J, Henion P, et al. Zebrafish foxd3 is selectively required for neural crest specification, migration and survival. Dev Biol. 2006;292:174-88 pubmed..The sym1 mutation is a nucleotide deletion that disrupts the forkhead DNA-binding domain of the foxd3 gene, which encodes a conserved winged-helix transcription factor...
- Rubinstein A, Lee D, Luo R, Henion P, Halpern M. Genes dependent on zebrafish cyclops function identified by AFLP differential gene expression screen. Genesis. 2000;26:86-97 pubmed..The identification of calreticulin suggests that a differential screen between wild-type and mutant cDNA is a useful approach to reveal regulation of unexpected gene expression in response to cellular signals. genesis 26:86-97, 2000. ..
- Barth K, Kishimoto Y, Rohr K, Seydler C, Schulte Merker S, Wilson S. Bmp activity establishes a gradient of positional information throughout the entire neural plate. Development. 1999;126:4977-87 pubmed..These results are consistent with there being a gradient of Bmp-dependent positional information extending throughout the entire neural and non-neural ectoderm. ..
- Berndt J, Clay M, Langenberg T, Halloran M. Rho-kinase and myosin II affect dynamic neural crest cell behaviors during epithelial to mesenchymal transition in vivo. Dev Biol. 2008;324:236-44 pubmed publisher..These data reveal roles for myosin II and ROCK in NCC EMT in vivo, and provide a detailed characterization of NCC behavior during EMT that will form a basis for further mechanistic studies. ..
- David N, Saint Etienne L, Tsang M, Schilling T, Rosa F. Requirement for endoderm and FGF3 in ventral head skeleton formation. Development. 2002;129:4457-68 pubmed..Together, our results reveal for the first time that the endoderm provides differential cues along the anteroposterior axis to control ventral head skeleton development and demonstrate that this function is mediated in part by Fgf3. ..
- Dutta S, Dawid I. Kctd15 inhibits neural crest formation by attenuating Wnt/beta-catenin signaling output. Development. 2010;137:3013-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that Kctd15 inhibits NC formation by attenuating the output of the canonical Wnt pathway, thereby restricting expansion of the NC domain beyond its normal range...
- Rau M, Fischer S, Neumann C. Zebrafish Trap230/Med12 is required as a coactivator for Sox9-dependent neural crest, cartilage and ear development. Dev Biol. 2006;296:83-93 pubmed..Mediator is a coactivator complex transducing the interaction of DNA-binding transcription factors with RNA polymerase II, and our results reveal a critical function of the Trap230 subunit as a coactivator for Sox9. ..
- Minchin J, Hughes S. Sequential actions of Pax3 and Pax7 drive xanthophore development in zebrafish neural crest. Dev Biol. 2008;317:508-22 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Pax3 in zebrafish is required for specification of two specific lineages of neural crest, xanthophores and enteric neurons. ..
- Aizawa H, Bianco I, Hamaoka T, Miyashita T, Uemura O, Concha M, et al. Laterotopic representation of left-right information onto the dorso-ventral axis of a zebrafish midbrain target nucleus. Curr Biol. 2005;15:238-43 pubmed
- Powell D, Hernandez Lagunas L, Lamonica K, Artinger K. Prdm1a directly activates foxd3 and tfap2a during zebrafish neural crest specification. Development. 2013;140:3445-55 pubmed publisher..PR/SET domain-containing transcription factor Prdm1a is co-expressed with two essential neural crest specifiers, foxd3 and tfap2a, at the neural plate border...
- Lopes S, Yang X, Müller J, Carney T, McAdow A, Rauch G, et al. Leukocyte tyrosine kinase functions in pigment cell development. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000026 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have discovered a novel signalling pathway in NCC development and demonstrate fate specification of iridophores as the first identified role for Ltk. ..
- Bolli N, Payne E, Rhodes J, Gjini E, Johnston A, Guo F, et al. cpsf1 is required for definitive HSC survival in zebrafish. Blood. 2011;117:3996-4007 pubmed publisher..These studies show that cpsf1 is essential for HSC survival and differentiation in caudal hematopoietic tissue. ..
- Kamel G, Hoyos T, Rochard L, Dougherty M, Kong Y, Tse W, et al. Requirement for frzb and fzd7a in cranial neural crest convergence and extension mechanisms during zebrafish palate and jaw morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2013;381:423-33 pubmed publisher..lower jaw structures, and integration of wnt-frizzled with endothelin signaling to coordinate shaping of the facial form. ..
- Bhat N, Kwon H, Riley B. A gene network that coordinates preplacodal competence and neural crest specification in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;373:107-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have identified a gene regulatory network that coordinates development of NC, PPE and individual placodes in zebrafish. ..
- Smith C, Morris A, Welsh T, Kucenas S. Contact-mediated inhibition between oligodendrocyte progenitor cells and motor exit point glia establishes the spinal cord transition zone. PLoS Biol. 2014;12:e1001961 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results identify a novel population of CNS-derived peripheral glia located at the MEP that selectively restrict the migration of OPCs into the periphery via contact-mediated inhibition. ..
- Boer E, Jette C, Stewart R. Neural Crest Migration and Survival Are Susceptible to Morpholino-Induced Artifacts. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0167278 pubmed publisher..We suggest that comparison of genetic mutants between different species is the most rigorous method for identifying conserved genetic mechanisms controlling NC development and is critical to identify new treatments for NC diseases. ..
- Nambiar R, Ignatius M, Henion P. Zebrafish colgate/hdac1 functions in the non-canonical Wnt pathway during axial extension and in Wnt-independent branchiomotor neuron migration. Mech Dev. 2007;124:682-98 pubmed..Here, we demonstrate novel roles for zebrafish hdac1 in activating non-canonical Wnt/PCP signaling underlying axial extension and in promoting Wnt-independent caudal migration of a subset of hindbrain branchiomotor neurons. ..
- Yaklichkin S, Vekker A, Stayrook S, Lewis M, Kessler D. Prevalence of the EH1 Groucho interaction motif in the metazoan Fox family of transcriptional regulators. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:201 pubmed
- Oates A, Rohde L, Ho R. Generation of segment polarity in the paraxial mesoderm of the zebrafish through a T-box-dependent inductive event. Dev Biol. 2005;283:204-14 pubmed
- Payne Ferreira T, Yelick P. Alk8 is required for neural crest cell formation and development of pharyngeal arch cartilages. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:683-96 pubmed
- Stengel R, Rivera Milla E, Sahoo N, Ebert C, Bollig F, Heinemann S, et al. Kcnh1 voltage-gated potassium channels are essential for early zebrafish development. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:35565-75 pubmed publisher..These results reveal an unanticipated basic activity of kcnh1 that is crucial for early embryonic development and patterning. ..
- Berndt J, Halloran M. Semaphorin 3d promotes cell proliferation and neural crest cell development downstream of TCF in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2006;133:3983-92 pubmed..Finally, Sema3d overexpression rescues reduced proliferation caused by DeltaTCF expression, suggesting that Sema3d lies downstream of Wnt/TCF signaling in the molecular pathway thought to control cell cycle in NCC precursors. ..