Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: foxa2
Description: forkhead box A2
Alias: HNF-3B, axl, fkd1, ik:tdsubc_2g8, tdsubc_2g8, wu:fe05g04, xx:tdsubc_2g8, forkhead box protein A2, axial protein, etID309811.17, hnf3b, mol, monorail
- Kim H, Schleiffarth J, Jessurun J, Sumanas S, Petryk A, Lin S, et al. Wnt5 signaling in vertebrate pancreas development. BMC Biol. 2005;3:23 pubmed..This study opens the door for further investigation into a role of Wnt signaling in vertebrate organ development and disease. ..
- Barth K, Wilson S. Expression of zebrafish nk2.2 is influenced by sonic hedgehog/vertebrate hedgehog-1 and demarcates a zone of neuronal differentiation in the embryonic forebrain. Development. 1995;121:1755-68 pubmed..2 expression. Together, these results suggest a requirement of shh/vhh-1 protein for the spatial regulation of nk2.2 expression. ..
- Norton W, Mangoli M, Lele Z, Pogoda H, Diamond B, Mercurio S, et al. Monorail/Foxa2 regulates floorplate differentiation and specification of oligodendrocytes, serotonergic raphé neurones and cranial motoneurones. Development. 2005;132:645-58 pubmed..Through cloning of monorail (mol), which we find encodes the transcription factor Foxa2, and phenotypic analysis of mol-/- embryos, we show ..
- Fukuda K, Kikuchi Y. Endoderm development in vertebrates: fate mapping, induction and regional specification. Dev Growth Differ. 2005;47:343-55 pubmed..We discuss the classical fate mapping of the endoderm and the more recent progress in characterizing its induction, segregation and regional specification. ..
- Yan Y, Hatta K, Riggleman B, Postlethwait J. Expression of a type II collagen gene in the zebrafish embryonic axis. Dev Dyn. 1995;203:363-76 pubmed
- Alexander J, Stainier D. A molecular pathway leading to endoderm formation in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 1999;9:1147-57 pubmed
- Tyurina O, Guner B, Popova E, Feng J, Schier A, Kohtz J, et al. Zebrafish Gli3 functions as both an activator and a repressor in Hedgehog signaling. Dev Biol. 2005;277:537-56 pubmed..These results reveal a conserved role for Gli3 in vertebrate development and uncover novel regional functions and regulatory interactions among gli genes. ..
- Solnica Krezel L, Stemple D, Mountcastle Shah E, Rangini Z, Neuhauss S, Malicki J, et al. Mutations affecting cell fates and cellular rearrangements during gastrulation in zebrafish. Development. 1996;123:67-80 pubmed..These mutations provide an approach to understanding the genetic control of gastrulation in vertebrates. ..
- Alexander J, Rothenberg M, Henry G, Stainier D. casanova plays an early and essential role in endoderm formation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 1999;215:343-57 pubmed
- Bjornson C, Griffin K, Farr G, Terashima A, Himeda C, Kikuchi Y, et al. Eomesodermin is a localized maternal determinant required for endoderm induction in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2005;9:523-33 pubmed..Direct physical interactions between Eomes, Bon, and Gata5 suggest that Eomes promotes endoderm induction in marginal blastomeres by facilitating the assembly of a transcriptional activating complex on the cas promoter. ..
- Aoki T, David N, Minchiotti G, Saint Etienne L, Dickmeis T, Persico G, et al. Molecular integration of casanova in the Nodal signalling pathway controlling endoderm formation. Development. 2002;129:275-86 pubmed..In addition, casanova efficiently restores later endodermal differentiation in these mutants, but this process requires, in addition, a partial activation of Nodal signalling. ..
- Kim H, Sumanas S, Palencia Desai S, Dong Y, Chen J, Lin S. Genetic analysis of early endocrine pancreas formation in zebrafish. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:194-203 pubmed..Further study on these mutants will reveal important information on novel genes involved in pancreatic islet cell specification and morphogenesis. ..
- Trinh L, Stainier D. Fibronectin regulates epithelial organization during myocardial migration in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2004;6:371-82 pubmed..These data suggest that myocardial migration is dependent on epithelial integrity. ..
- Yamashita S, Miyagi C, Fukada T, Kagara N, Che Y, Hirano T. Zinc transporter LIVI controls epithelial-mesenchymal transition in zebrafish gastrula organizer. Nature. 2004;429:298-302 pubmed..Furthermore, we demonstrate that LIV1 is essential for the nuclear localization of zinc-finger protein Snail, a master regulator of EMT. These results establish a molecular link between STAT3, LIV1 and Snail in EMT. ..
- Pei W, Noushmehr H, Costa J, Ouspenskaia M, Elkahloun A, Feldman B. An early requirement for maternal FoxH1 during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2007;310:10-22 pubmed..Our studies thus point to an essential role for maternal FoxH1 and downstream keratins during gastrulation that is epistatic to Nodal signaling. ..
- Tucker B, Richards R, Lardelli M. Contribution of mGluR and Fmr1 functional pathways to neurite morphogenesis, craniofacial development and fragile X syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:3446-58 pubmed..These abnormalities may be related to a role for fmr1 in neural crest cell specification and possibly in migration. ..
- McFarland K, Warga R, Kane D. Genetic locus half baked is necessary for morphogenesis of the ectoderm. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:390-406 pubmed
- Shin D, Lee Y, Poss K, Stainier D. Restriction of hepatic competence by Fgf signaling. Development. 2011;138:1339-48 pubmed publisher..These data provide in vivo evidence that endodermal cells outside the liver-forming region retain hepatic competence and show that an extrinsic signal, Fgf10a, negatively regulates hepatic competence. ..
- Qiao L, Gao H, Zhang T, Jing L, Xiao C, Xiao Y, et al. Snail modulates the assembly of fibronectin via ?5 integrin for myocardial migration in zebrafish embryos. Sci Rep. 2014;4:4470 pubmed publisher..The results provide the molecular mechanism how Snail controls the morphogenesis of heart during embryonic development. ..
- Fukui H, Terai K, Nakajima H, Chiba A, Fukuhara S, Mochizuki N. S1P-Yap1 signaling regulates endoderm formation required for cardiac precursor cell migration in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2014;31:128-36 pubmed publisher..Consistently, ctgfa morphants showed defects of the endodermal sheet and cardia bifida. Collectively, we show that S1pr2/Yap1-regulated ctgfa expression is essential for the proper endoderm formation required for CPC migration. ..
- Olsen C, Jeffery W. A forkhead gene related to HNF-3beta is required for gastrulation and axis formation in the ascidian embryo. Development. 1997;124:3609-19 pubmed
- Renucci A, Lemarchandel V, Rosa F. An activated form of type I serine/threonine kinase receptor TARAM-A reveals a specific signalling pathway involved in fish head organiser formation. Development. 1996;122:3735-43 pubmed..Our data suggest the existence in fish of a specific TGF-beta-related pathway for anterior dorsal mesoderm induction, possibly mediated by TARAM-A and activated at the late blastula stage by localized dorsal determinant. ..
- Hauptmann G, Gerster T. Complex expression of the zp-50 pou gene in the embryonic zebrafish brain is altered by overexpression of sonic hedgehog. Development. 1996;122:1769-80 pubmed
- Weiser D, Pyati U, Kimelman D. Gravin regulates mesodermal cell behavior changes required for axis elongation during zebrafish gastrulation. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1559-71 pubmed
- Sawada A, Nishizaki Y, Sato H, Yada Y, Nakayama R, Yamamoto S, et al. Tead proteins activate the Foxa2 enhancer in the node in cooperation with a second factor. Development. 2005;132:4719-29 pubmed..We addressed the mechanism of mouse node development via an analysis of the node/notochord enhancer (NE) of Foxa2. We first identified the core element (CE) of the enhancer, which in multimeric form drives gene expression in the ..
- de Vries C, de Boer J, Joore J, Strahle U, van Achterberg T, Huylebroeck D, et al. Active complex formation of type I and type II activin and TGF beta receptors in vivo as studied by overexpression in zebrafish embryos. Mech Dev. 1996;54:225-36 pubmed..Overexpression of TGF beta R-I with ActR-IIA or ActR IIB4 results in a synergistic increase in frequency of abnormal embryos, whereas in combination with ActR-IIB2 no such increase occurs. ..
- Du S, Draper B, Mione M, Moens C, Bruce A. Differential regulation of epiboly initiation and progression by zebrafish Eomesodermin A. Dev Biol. 2012;362:11-23 pubmed publisher..We also show that Eomesa is required for normal expression of the endoderm markers sox32, bon and og9x; however it is not essential for endoderm formation. ..
- Muto A, Calof A, Lander A, Schilling T. Multifactorial origins of heart and gut defects in nipbl-deficient zebrafish, a model of Cornelia de Lange Syndrome. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001181 pubmed publisher..revealed that, as early as gastrulation, expression of genes involved in endodermal differentiation (sox32, sox17, foxa2, and gata5) and left-right patterning (spaw, lefty2, and dnah9) is altered...
- Kinkel M, Sefton E, Kikuchi Y, Mizoguchi T, Ward A, Prince V. Cyp26 enzymes function in endoderm to regulate pancreatic field size. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:7864-9 pubmed publisher..Such feedback can maintain consistent levels of RA signaling, despite environmental fluctuations in RA concentration, thus ensuring a consistent size and location of the pancreatic field. ..
- Chou C, Hsu H, You M, Lin J, Liu Y. The endoderm indirectly influences morphogenetic movements of the zebrafish head kidney through the posterior cardinal vein and VegfC. Sci Rep. 2016;6:30677 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus underscore a role for PCV and VegfC in patterning the head kidney prior to organ assembly and function. ..
- Bally Cuif L, Goutel C, Wassef M, Wurst W, Rosa F. Coregulation of anterior and posterior mesendodermal development by a hairy-related transcriptional repressor. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1664-77 pubmed..Our results provide the first model for vertebrate endoderm patterning where an early regulatory step at gastrulation, mediated by her5 controls cell contribution jointly to the anterior- and posteriormost mesendodermal regions. ..
- Jeong J, Einhorn Z, Mathur P, Chen L, Lee S, Kawakami K, et al. Patterning the zebrafish diencephalon by the conserved zinc-finger protein Fezl. Development. 2007;134:127-36 pubmed..Our findings reveal that Fezl is crucial for establishing regional subdivisions within the diencephalon and may also play a role in the development of the telencephalon and hypothalamus. ..
- Peyrieras N, Strahle U, Rosa F. Conversion of zebrafish blastomeres to an endodermal fate by TGF-beta-related signaling. Curr Biol. 1998;8:783-6 pubmed
- Lee M, Bonner J, Bernard D, Sanchez E, Sause E, Prentice R, et al. Disruption of the folate pathway in zebrafish causes developmental defects. BMC Dev Biol. 2012;12:12 pubmed publisher..Zebrafish studies of the folate pathway and its deficiencies could provide insight into the underlying etiology of human birth defects and the natural role of folate in development. ..
- Taibi A, Mandavawala K, Noel J, Okoye E, Milano C, Martin B, et al. Zebrafish churchill regulates developmental gene expression and cell migration. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:614-21 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that chch is not essential for survival, but functions to modulate early mesendodermal gene expression and limit cell migration. ..
- Vesterlund L, Jiao H, Unneberg P, Hovatta O, Kere J. The zebrafish transcriptome during early development. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:30 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these observations indicate a major transition in gene regulation and transcriptional activity taking place between the 512-cell and 50% epiboly stages, in accordance with previous studies. ..
- Bloomekatz J, Singh R, Prall O, Dunn A, Vaughan M, Loo C, et al. Platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) signaling directs cardiomyocyte movement toward the midline during heart tube assembly. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Together, these data uncover a novel mechanism through which endodermal-myocardial communication can guide the cell movements that initiate cardiac morphogenesis. ..
- Conway G, Margoliath A, Wong Madden S, Roberts R, Gilbert W. Jak1 kinase is required for cell migrations and anterior specification in zebrafish embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:3082-7 pubmed..This work establishes that, in addition to its role in signal transduction of cytokines in adult tissues, Jak1 kinase has a role in early vertebrate development. ..
- Gates K, Mentzer L, Karlstrom R, Sirotkin H. The transcriptional repressor REST/NRSF modulates hedgehog signaling. Dev Biol. 2010;340:293-305 pubmed publisher..The role of Rest as a regulator of Hh signaling has broad implications for many developmental contexts where REST and Hh signaling act. ..
- Hauptmann G, Söll I, Gerster T. The early embryonic zebrafish forebrain is subdivided into molecularly distinct transverse and longitudinal domains. Brain Res Bull. 2002;57:371-5 pubmed..Furthermore, we identified a series of eight transverse diencephalic domains which may indicate a prosomeric organization of the rostral zebrafish brain. ..
- Plaster N, Sonntag C, Schilling T, Hammerschmidt M. REREa/Atrophin-2 interacts with histone deacetylase and Fgf8 signaling to regulate multiple processes of zebrafish development. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1891-904 pubmed..We present a model for RERE-dependent patterning in which tissue-specific transcriptional repression, by means of an REREa-HDAC complex, modulates growth factor signaling during embryogenesis. ..
- Hong S, Jang M, Brown J, McBride A, Feldman B. Embryonic mesoderm and endoderm induction requires the actions of non-embryonic Nodal-related ligands and Mxtx2. Development. 2011;138:787-95 pubmed publisher..In summary, the induction of mesoderm and endoderm depends upon the combined actions of Mxtx2 and Nodal-related ligands from non-embryonic sources. ..
- Odenthal J, van Eeden F, Haffter P, Ingham P, Nusslein Volhard C. Two distinct cell populations in the floor plate of the zebrafish are induced by different pathways. Dev Biol. 2000;219:350-63 pubmed..The number of primary motor neurons is strongly reduced in cyc;syu double mutants, while almost normal in single mutants, suggesting that the two different pathways have overlapping functions in the induction of primary motor neurons. ..
- Pauli A, Norris M, Valen E, Chew G, Gagnon J, Zimmerman S, et al. Toddler: an embryonic signal that promotes cell movement via Apelin receptors. Science. 2014;343:1248636 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Toddler is an activator of APJ/Apelin receptor signaling, promotes gastrulation movements, and might be the first in a series of uncharacterized developmental signals...
- Hatta K, Takahashi Y. Secondary axis induction by heterospecific organizers in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 1996;205:183-95 pubmed..Additionally, the activities of the organizer may involve a function of Wnt-family genes. ..
- Ho D, Chan J, Bayliss P, Whitman M. Inhibitor-resistant type I receptors reveal specific requirements for TGF-beta signaling in vivo. Dev Biol. 2006;295:730-42 pubmed..The combination of the ALK inhibitor SB-431542 with inhibitor-resistant ALKs provides a powerful set of tools for examining nodal/activin signaling during embryogenesis. ..
- Schafer M, Kinzel D, Neuner C, Schartl M, Volff J, Winkler C. Hedgehog and retinoid signalling confines nkx2.2b expression to the lateral floor plate of the zebrafish trunk. Mech Dev. 2005;122:43-56 pubmed..In contrast to previously described zebrafish trunk LFP markers, like e.g. tal2 or foxa2, nkx2.2b is exclusively expressed in the LFP...
- diIorio P, Alexa K, Choe S, Etheridge L, SAGERSTROM C. TALE-family homeodomain proteins regulate endodermal sonic hedgehog expression and pattern the anterior endoderm. Dev Biol. 2007;304:221-31 pubmed..Our data indicate that meis3 and pbx4 regulate shh expression in anterior endoderm, thereby influencing patterning and growth of the foregut. ..
- Korzh S, Winata C, Zheng W, Yang S, Yin A, Ingham P, et al. The interaction of epithelial Ihha and mesenchymal Fgf10 in zebrafish esophageal and swimbladder development. Dev Biol. 2011;359:262-76 pubmed publisher..These findings contribute to the understanding of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions and highlight an interaction between Hh and Fgf signaling pathways during esophagus and swimbladder development. ..
- Kucenas S, Takada N, Park H, Woodruff E, Broadie K, Appel B. CNS-derived glia ensheath peripheral nerves and mediate motor root development. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:143-51 pubmed publisher..These insights reveal a new class of CNS-born glia that critically contributes to motor nerve development. ..
- Johnson J, Hall T, Dyson J, Sonntag C, Ayers K, Berger S, et al. Scube activity is necessary for Hedgehog signal transduction in vivo. Dev Biol. 2012;368:193-202 pubmed publisher..We further define the molecular role of scube2 in HH signaling. ..
- Holtzinger A, Evans T. Gata4 regulates the formation of multiple organs. Development. 2005;132:4005-14 pubmed..In addition, both Gata4 and Gata6 are essential and non-redundant for liver growth following initial budding. ..
- Chang B, Blader P, Fischer N, Ingham P, Strahle U. Axial (HNF3beta) and retinoic acid receptors are regulators of the zebrafish sonic hedgehog promoter. EMBO J. 1997;16:3955-64 pubmed..Our results suggest that both Axial (HNF3beta) and retinoic acid receptors are direct regulators of the sonic hedgehog gene. ..
- Kaji T, Artinger K. dlx3b and dlx4b function in the development of Rohon-Beard sensory neurons and trigeminal placode in the zebrafish neurula. Dev Biol. 2004;276:523-40 pubmed..These data suggest that the contribution of dlx3b and dlx4b to neural plate border formation is partially non-cell-autonomous acting via BMP activity. ..
- Wang X, Yang N, Uno E, Roeder R, Guo S. A subunit of the mediator complex regulates vertebrate neuronal development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17284-9 pubmed..Together, our analyses reveal a regulatory role of Mot/Med12 in vertebrate neuronal development. ..
- Xiao Y, Gao M, Gao L, Zhao Y, Hong Q, Li Z, et al. Directed Differentiation of Zebrafish Pluripotent Embryonic Cells to Functional Cardiomyocytes. Stem Cell Reports. 2016;7:370-382 pubmed publisher..The technology provides a new platform for the study of heart development and regeneration, in addition to drug discovery, disease modeling, and assessment of cardiotoxic agents. ..
- Kapsimali M, Caneparo L, Houart C, Wilson S. Inhibition of Wnt/Axin/beta-catenin pathway activity promotes ventral CNS midline tissue to adopt hypothalamic rather than floorplate identity. Development. 2004;131:5923-33 pubmed
- Ellertsdottir E, Ganz J, Durr K, Loges N, Biemar F, Seifert F, et al. A mutation in the zebrafish Na,K-ATPase subunit atp1a1a.1 provides genetic evidence that the sodium potassium pump contributes to left-right asymmetry downstream or in parallel to nodal flow. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1794-808 pubmed..Therefore, the Na,K-ATPase is required downstream or in parallel to monocilia function during initiation of left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. ..
- Hu J, Sun S, Jiang Q, Sun S, Wang W, Gui Y, et al. Yes-associated protein (yap) is required for early embryonic development in zebrafish (danio rerio). Int J Biol Sci. 2013;9:267-78 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results revealed that zebrafish yap coordinately regulates cell proliferation and apoptosis and is required for dorsoventral axis formation, gastrulation, cardiogenesis, hematopoiesis, and somitogenesis. ..
- Sirotkin H, Dougan S, Schier A, Talbot W. bozozok and squint act in parallel to specify dorsal mesoderm and anterior neuroectoderm in zebrafish. Development. 2000;127:2583-92 pubmed..Our results support a model in which boz and sqt act in parallel to induce dorsalizing BMP-antagonists and to counteract the repressive function of cyc in neural patterning. ..
- Lai Y, Lu Y, Lien H, Huang C, Hwang S. Foxa2 and Hif1ab regulate maturation of intestinal goblet cells by modulating agr2 expression in zebrafish embryos. Biochem J. 2016;473:2205-18 pubmed publisher..Morpholino knockdown of foxa1 (forkhead box A1) reduced agr2 levels in the pharynx, whereas knockdown of foxa2 or hif1ab decreased intestinal agr2 expression and affected the differentiation and maturation of intestinal ..
- Jacob J, Ribes V, Moore S, Constable S, Sasai N, Gerety S, et al. Valproic acid silencing of ascl1b/Ascl1 results in the failure of serotonergic differentiation in a zebrafish model of fetal valproate syndrome. Dis Model Mech. 2014;7:107-17 pubmed publisher..Together, these data provide a molecular explanation for serotonergic defects in FVS and highlight an epigenetic mechanism for genome-environment interaction in disease. ..
- Mizoguchi T, Izawa T, Kuroiwa A, Kikuchi Y. Fgf signaling negatively regulates Nodal-dependent endoderm induction in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;300:612-22 pubmed..Altogether, these results suggest that Fgf signaling negatively regulates endoderm induction, possibly through repression of cas expression and down-regulation of Cas function. ..
- Clément A, Solnica Krezel L, Gould K. Functional redundancy between Cdc14 phosphatases in zebrafish ciliogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:1911-21 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies demonstrate for the first time that Cdc14A and Cdc14B have overlapping functions in the ciliogenesis process during zebrafish development. ..
- Liedtke D, Winkler C. Midkine-b regulates cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:62-74 pubmed..Our results imply that Mdkb is required for the earliest steps of cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish...
- Odenthal J, Haffter P, Vogelsang E, Brand M, van Eeden F, Furutani Seiki M, et al. Mutations affecting the formation of the notochord in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development. 1996;123:103-15 pubmed..In addition to the four mutants with defects in early notochord formation, we have isolated 84 mutants, defining at least 15 genes, with defects in later stages of notochord development. These are listed in an appendix to this study. ..
- Macdonald R, Xu Q, Barth K, Mikkola I, Holder N, Fjose A, et al. Regulatory gene expression boundaries demarcate sites of neuronal differentiation in the embryonic zebrafish forebrain. Neuron. 1994;13:1039-53 pubmed..This strip of cells fails to develop in mutant fish in which specification of the ventral CNS is disrupted, suggesting that its development may be regulated by the same inductive pathways that pattern the ventral midline. ..
- Lyman Gingerich J, Westfall T, Slusarski D, Pelegri F. hecate, a zebrafish maternal effect gene, affects dorsal organizer induction and intracellular calcium transient frequency. Dev Biol. 2005;286:427-39 pubmed
- Peyrieras N, Lu Y, Renucci A, Lemarchandel V, Rosa F. Inhibitory interactions controlling organizer activity in fish. C R Acad Sci III. 1996;319:1107-12 pubmed..This paradox is taken as an evidence for suppressive effects exerted in a reciprocal manner when more than 1 organizing center is present. ..
- Brown J, Snir M, Noushmehr H, Kirby M, Hong S, Elkahloun A, et al. Transcriptional profiling of endogenous germ layer precursor cells identifies dusp4 as an essential gene in zebrafish endoderm specification. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:12337-42 pubmed publisher..This specific loss of sox17 establishes a new class of endoderm specification defect. ..
- Ekker M, Speevak M, Martin C, Joly L, Giroux G, Chevrette M. Stable transfer of zebrafish chromosome segments into mouse cells. Genomics. 1996;33:57-64 pubmed..Zebrafish/mouse cell hybrids will provide a useful tool for the physical mapping of the zebrafish genome and for the cloning of genes affected in zebrafish mutants. ..
- Zhang Z, Feng J, Pan C, Lv X, Wu W, Zhou Z, et al. Atrophin-Rpd3 complex represses Hedgehog signaling by acting as a corepressor of CiR. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:575-83 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Rerea, a homologue of Atro in zebrafish, repressed the expression of Hh-responsive genes. We propose that the Atro-Rpd3 complex plays a conserved role to function as a Ci(R) corepressor...