Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: foxa1
Description: forkhead box A1
Alias: fkd7, forkhead-7, hepatocyte nuclear factor 3-alpha, fork head domain protein 7
- Aoki T, David N, Minchiotti G, Saint Etienne L, Dickmeis T, Persico G, et al. Molecular integration of casanova in the Nodal signalling pathway controlling endoderm formation. Development. 2002;129:275-86 pubmed..In addition, casanova efficiently restores later endodermal differentiation in these mutants, but this process requires, in addition, a partial activation of Nodal signalling. ..
- Fukuda K, Kikuchi Y. Endoderm development in vertebrates: fate mapping, induction and regional specification. Dev Growth Differ. 2005;47:343-55 pubmed..We discuss the classical fate mapping of the endoderm and the more recent progress in characterizing its induction, segregation and regional specification. ..
- Yaklichkin S, Vekker A, Stayrook S, Lewis M, Kessler D. Prevalence of the EH1 Groucho interaction motif in the metazoan Fox family of transcriptional regulators. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:201 pubmed
- Kubota Y, Oike Y, Satoh S, Tabata Y, Niikura Y, Morisada T, et al. Isolation and expression patterns of genes for three angiopoietin-like proteins, Angptl1, 2 and 6 in zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2005;5:679-85 pubmed..Zangptl6 is expressed in the notochord. In addition to its embryonic expression, Zangptl2 is induced in adult fish during fin regeneration. ..
- Korzh S, Winata C, Zheng W, Yang S, Yin A, Ingham P, et al. The interaction of epithelial Ihha and mesenchymal Fgf10 in zebrafish esophageal and swimbladder development. Dev Biol. 2011;359:262-76 pubmed publisher..These findings contribute to the understanding of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions and highlight an interaction between Hh and Fgf signaling pathways during esophagus and swimbladder development. ..
- Stuckenholz C, Lu L, Thakur P, Choi T, Shin D, Bahary N. Sfrp5 modulates both Wnt and BMP signaling and regulates gastrointestinal organogenesis [corrected] in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62470 pubmed publisher..We show that Sfrp5 inhibits both canonical and non-canonical Wnt signaling during embryonic and endodermal development, resulting in endodermal abnormalities...
- Lovely C, Swartz M, McCarthy N, Norrie J, Eberhart J. Bmp signaling mediates endoderm pouch morphogenesis by regulating Fgf signaling in zebrafish. Development. 2016;143:2000-11 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our analyses shed light on the tissue and signaling interactions that regulate development of the vertebrate face. ..
- Ober E, Olofsson B, Makinen T, Jin S, Shoji W, Koh G, et al. Vegfc is required for vascular development and endoderm morphogenesis in zebrafish. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:78-84 pubmed
- Lai Y, Lu Y, Lien H, Huang C, Hwang S. Foxa2 and Hif1ab regulate maturation of intestinal goblet cells by modulating agr2 expression in zebrafish embryos. Biochem J. 2016;473:2205-18 pubmed publisher..Morpholino knockdown of foxa1 (forkhead box A1) reduced agr2 levels in the pharynx, whereas knockdown of foxa2 or hif1ab decreased intestinal ..
- Uribe R, Bronner M. Meis3 is required for neural crest invasion of the gut during zebrafish enteric nervous system development. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:3728-40 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support a model in which Meis3 is required for neural crest proliferation, migration into, and colonization of the gut such that its loss leads to severe defects in enteric nervous system development. ..
- Yang S, Aw S, Chang C, Korzh S, Korzh V, Peng J. Depletion of Bhmt elevates sonic hedgehog transcript level and increases ?-cell number in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2011;152:4706-17 pubmed publisher..Therefore, although there are still many intriguing questions to be answered, our finding may identify a novel function for Bhmt involving modulation of Shh signaling to control ?-cell development. ..
- Sumanas S, Kim H, Hermanson S, Ekker S. Zebrafish frizzled-2 morphant displays defects in body axis elongation. Genesis. 2001;30:114-8 pubmed
- David N, Saint Etienne L, Tsang M, Schilling T, Rosa F. Requirement for endoderm and FGF3 in ventral head skeleton formation. Development. 2002;129:4457-68 pubmed..Together, our results reveal for the first time that the endoderm provides differential cues along the anteroposterior axis to control ventral head skeleton development and demonstrate that this function is mediated in part by Fgf3. ..
- Wei S, Ning G, Li L, Yan Y, Yang S, Cao Y, et al. A GEF activity-independent function for nuclear Net1 in Nodal signal transduction and mesendoderm formation. J Cell Sci. 2017;130:3072-3082 pubmed publisher..These findings describe a novel genetic mechanism by which nuclear Net1 facilitates Smad2 transcriptional activity to guide mesendoderm development. ..
- Abbas L, Whitfield T. Nkcc1 (Slc12a2) is required for the regulation of endolymph volume in the otic vesicle and swim bladder volume in the zebrafish larva. Development. 2009;136:2837-48 pubmed publisher..This exemplifies the use of morpholinos as potential therapeutic agents for genetic disease...
- Klein C, Mikutta J, Krueger J, Scholz K, Brinkmann J, Liu D, et al. Neuron navigator 3a regulates liver organogenesis during zebrafish embryogenesis. Development. 2011;138:1935-45 pubmed publisher..We conclude that nav3a is required for directing endodermal organogenesis involving coordination of endodermal cell behavior. ..
- Wang X, Chong M, Wang X, Wang H, Zhang J, Xu H, et al. Block the function of nonmuscle myosin II by blebbistatin induces zebrafish embryo cardia bifida. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2015;51:211-7 pubmed publisher..Through in situ hybridization analysis, we showed that foxa1 was expressed in endoderm of blebbistatin-treated embryos at 24-hpf stage, suggesting the endoderm formation is ..
- Brand M, Heisenberg C, Warga R, Pelegri F, Karlstrom R, Beuchle D, et al. Mutations affecting development of the midline and general body shape during zebrafish embryogenesis. Development. 1996;123:129-42 pubmed..As a working hypothesis, we propose that midline-group genes may act to maintain proper structure and inductive function of zebrafish midline tissues. ..
- Reim G, Mizoguchi T, Stainier D, Kikuchi Y, Brand M. The POU domain protein spg (pou2/Oct4) is essential for endoderm formation in cooperation with the HMG domain protein casanova. Dev Cell. 2004;6:91-101 pubmed..The joint control of endoderm formation by spg and cas suggests that the endodermal germlayer may be a tissue unit with distinct genetic control, thus adding genetic support to the germlayer concept in metazoan development. ..
- Noël E, Casal Sueiro A, Busch Nentwich E, Verkade H, Dong P, Stemple D, et al. Organ-specific requirements for Hdac1 in liver and pancreas formation. Dev Biol. 2008;322:237-50 pubmed publisher..These findings establish zebrafish as a tractable system to investigate chromatin remodelling factor functions in controlling gene expression programmes in vertebrate endodermal organogenesis. ..
- Paksa A, Bandemer J, Hoeckendorf B, Razin N, Tarbashevich K, Minina S, et al. Repulsive cues combined with physical barriers and cell-cell adhesion determine progenitor cell positioning during organogenesis. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11288 pubmed publisher..The combination of these developmental and cellular mechanisms prevents organ fusion, controls organ positioning and is thus critical for its proper function. ..
- Pezeron G, Lambert G, Dickmeis T, Strahle U, Rosa F, Mourrain P. Rasl11b knock down in zebrafish suppresses one-eyed-pinhead mutant phenotype. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1434 pubmed publisher..This data suggests a new branch of Oep signaling that has implications for germ layer development, as well as for studies of Oep/Frl1/Cripto1 dysfunction, such as that found in tumors. ..
- Kapsimali M, Caneparo L, Houart C, Wilson S. Inhibition of Wnt/Axin/beta-catenin pathway activity promotes ventral CNS midline tissue to adopt hypothalamic rather than floorplate identity. Development. 2004;131:5923-33 pubmed
- Ellertsdottir E, Ganz J, Durr K, Loges N, Biemar F, Seifert F, et al. A mutation in the zebrafish Na,K-ATPase subunit atp1a1a.1 provides genetic evidence that the sodium potassium pump contributes to left-right asymmetry downstream or in parallel to nodal flow. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1794-808 pubmed..Therefore, the Na,K-ATPase is required downstream or in parallel to monocilia function during initiation of left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. ..
- Vesterlund L, Jiao H, Unneberg P, Hovatta O, Kere J. The zebrafish transcriptome during early development. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:30 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these observations indicate a major transition in gene regulation and transcriptional activity taking place between the 512-cell and 50% epiboly stages, in accordance with previous studies. ..
- Tiso N, Filippi A, Pauls S, Bortolussi M, Argenton F. BMP signalling regulates anteroposterior endoderm patterning in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2002;118:29-37 pubmed..Our results suggest that by regulating the expression of her5, the Bmp2b/Chordin gradient directs the anteroposterior patterning of endoderm in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Palstra A, Rovira M, Rizo Roca D, Torrella J, Spaink H, Planas J. Swimming-induced exercise promotes hypertrophy and vascularization of fast skeletal muscle fibres and activation of myogenic and angiogenic transcriptional programs in adult zebrafish. BMC Genomics. 2014;15:1136 pubmed publisher..These results further support the validity of the adult zebrafish as an exercise model to decipher the complex molecular and cellular mechanisms governing skeletal muscle mass and function in vertebrates. ..
- Chatterjee S, Bourque G, Lufkin T. Conserved and non-conserved enhancers direct tissue specific transcription in ancient germ layer specific developmental control genes. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:63 pubmed publisher..Our detailed biochemical and transgenic analysis revealed Foxa1 binds to the otx1b non-conserved enhancer to direct its activity in forebrain and otic vesicle of zebrafish at 24 ..
- Koudijs M, den Broeder M, Groot E, van Eeden F. Genetic analysis of the two zebrafish patched homologues identifies novel roles for the hedgehog signaling pathway. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:15 pubmed publisher..Additionally, these mutants will provide a useful system to further investigate the consequences of constitutively activated Hh signaling during vertebrate development. ..
- Yin A, Korzh S, Winata C, Korzh V, Gong Z. Wnt signaling is required for early development of zebrafish swimbladder. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18431 pubmed publisher..Our functional analysis data indicated that Wnt/?-catenin signaling is required for swimbladder early development and we also provided evidence for the crosstalk between Wnt and Hh signaling in early swimbladder development. ..
- Elsalini O, von Gartzen J, Cramer M, Rohr K. Zebrafish hhex, nk2.1a, and pax2.1 regulate thyroid growth and differentiation downstream of Nodal-dependent transcription factors. Dev Biol. 2003;263:67-80 pubmed..Our functional analysis suggests that these genes have similar roles as in mammalian thyroid development, albeit in a different temporal mode of organogenesis. ..
- Deshwar A, Chng S, Ho L, Reversade B, Scott I. The Apelin receptor enhances Nodal/TGF? signaling to ensure proper cardiac development. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our results favour a model in which Aplnr is required to fine-tune Nodal output, acting as a specific rheostat for the Nodal/TGF? pathway during the earliest stages of cardiogenesis. ..
- Niu X, Gao C, Jan Lo L, Luo Y, Meng C, Hong J, et al. Sec13 safeguards the integrity of the endoplasmic reticulum and organogenesis of the digestive system in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2012;367:197-207 pubmed publisher..Our data provide the first direct genetic evidence that COPII function is essential for the organogenesis of the digestive system...
- Lin C, Huang C, Wang W, Hsiao C, Cheng C, Wu Y, et al. Low temperature mitigates cardia bifida in zebrafish embryos. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69788 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that temperature coordinates the development of the heart tube and somitogenesis, and that extracellular matrix genes (fibronectin 1, tenascin-c and tenascin-w) are involved. ..
- Flores M, Hall C, Davidson A, Singh P, Mahagaonkar A, Zon L, et al. Intestinal differentiation in zebrafish requires Cdx1b, a functional equivalent of mammalian Cdx2. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:1665-75 pubmed publisher..This work established an in vivo system to explore further the activity of Cdx2 in the gut and its impact on processes such as inflammation and cancer. ..
- Lou X, Burrows J, Scott I. Med14 cooperates with brg1 in the differentiation of skeletogenic neural crest. BMC Dev Biol. 2015;15:41 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a critical role for Mediator and BAF complex function in neural crest development, and may also clarify the nature of defects in some craniofacial abnormalities. ..
- Sakaguchi T, Kikuchi Y, Kuroiwa A, Takeda H, Stainier D. The yolk syncytial layer regulates myocardial migration by influencing extracellular matrix assembly in zebrafish. Development. 2006;133:4063-72 pubmed..Based on these data, we propose that the extra-embryonic YSL regulates myocardial migration, at least in part by influencing fibronectin expression and subsequent assembly of the extracellular matrix in embryonic tissues...
- Voz M, Coppieters W, Manfroid I, Baudhuin A, Von Berg V, Charlier C, et al. Fast homozygosity mapping and identification of a zebrafish ENU-induced mutation by whole-genome sequencing. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34671 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study constitutes a proof-of-concept that whole-genome sequencing is a fast and effective alternative to the classical positional cloning strategies in zebrafish. ..
- Dalgin G, Ward A, Hao L, Beattie C, Nechiporuk A, Prince V. Zebrafish mnx1 controls cell fate choice in the developing endocrine pancreas. Development. 2011;138:4597-608 pubmed publisher..In Mnx1-deficient embryos, precursor cells that are normally destined to differentiate as beta cells instead take on an alpha cell fate. Our findings suggest that Mnx1 functions to promote beta and suppress alpha cell fates...
- Parker L, Schmidt M, Jin S, Gray A, Beis D, Pham T, et al. The endothelial-cell-derived secreted factor Egfl7 regulates vascular tube formation. Nature. 2004;428:754-8 pubmed..This process fails to take place in Egfl7 knockdown embryos, leading to the failure of vascular tube formation. Our study defines a regulator that controls a specific and important step in vasculogenesis. ..
- Chen J, Ruan H, Ng S, Gao C, Soo H, Wu W, et al. Loss of function of def selectively up-regulates Delta113p53 expression to arrest expansion growth of digestive organs in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2900-11 pubmed
- Scott I, Masri B, D Amico L, Jin S, Jungblut B, Wehman A, et al. The g protein-coupled receptor agtrl1b regulates early development of myocardial progenitors. Dev Cell. 2007;12:403-13 pubmed..These results support a model in which agtrl1b regulates the migration of cells fated to form myocardial progenitors...
- Wang Y, Luo Y, Hong Y, Peng J, Lo L. Ribosome biogenesis factor Bms1-like is essential for liver development in zebrafish. J Genet Genomics. 2012;39:451-62 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings demonstrate that Bms1l is necessary for zebrafish liver development...
- Manfroid I, Delporte F, Baudhuin A, Motte P, Neumann C, Voz M, et al. Reciprocal endoderm-mesoderm interactions mediated by fgf24 and fgf10 govern pancreas development. Development. 2007;134:4011-21 pubmed
- Noël E, Reis M, Arain Z, Ober E. Analysis of the Albumin/alpha-Fetoprotein/Afamin/Group specific component gene family in the context of zebrafish liver differentiation. Gene Expr Patterns. 2010;10:237-43 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the identification of gc adds a valuable temporal marker for investigating progressive hepatic differentiation in zebrafish...
- Pezeron G, Anselme I, Laplante M, Ellingsen S, Becker T, Rosa F, et al. Duplicate sfrp1 genes in zebrafish: sfrp1a is dynamically expressed in the developing central nervous system, gut and lateral line. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:835-42 pubmed..Overall, our studies provide a basis for future analyses of these developmentally important factors using the zebrafish model...
- Sumanas S, Zhang B, Dai R, Lin S. 15-zinc finger protein Bloody Fingers is required for zebrafish morphogenetic movements during neurulation. Dev Biol. 2005;283:85-96 pubmed..We conclude that blf plays an important role in regulating morphogenetic movements during gastrulation and neurulation while its role in hematopoiesis may be redundant. ..
- Chitramuthu B, Bennett H. High resolution whole mount in situ hybridization within zebrafish embryos to study gene expression and function. J Vis Exp. 2013;:e50644 pubmed publisher..By employing a chromogenic substrate for alkaline phosphatase, specific gene expression can be assessed. Depending on the level of gene expression the entire procedure can be completed within 2-3 days. ..
- Pezeron G, Mourrain P, Courty S, Ghislain J, Becker T, Rosa F, et al. Live analysis of endodermal layer formation identifies random walk as a novel gastrulation movement. Curr Biol. 2008;18:276-81 pubmed publisher..These results uncover random walk as a novel Nodal-induced gastrulation movement and as an efficient strategy to transform a localized cell group into a layer expanded over the embryo. ..