Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fgfr1a
Description: fibroblast growth factor receptor 1a
Alias: FGFR-1-A, bFGF-R-1-A, cb231, fgfr1, sb:cb231, fibroblast growth factor receptor 1-A, basic fibroblast growth factor receptor 1-A, fibroblast growth factor receptor 1
- Poss K, Shen J, Nechiporuk A, McMahon G, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Roles for Fgf signaling during zebrafish fin regeneration. Dev Biol. 2000;222:347-58 pubmed..We find that fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 (fgfr1) is expressed in mesenchymal cells underlying the wound epidermis during blastema formation ..
- Nechiporuk A, Raible D. FGF-dependent mechanosensory organ patterning in zebrafish. Science. 2008;320:1774-7 pubmed publisher..This previously unrecognized mechanism may be applicable to understanding segmentation and morphogenesis in other organ systems. ..
- Nakayama Y, Miyake A, Nakagawa Y, Mido T, Yoshikawa M, Konishi M, et al. Fgf19 is required for zebrafish lens and retina development. Dev Biol. 2008;313:752-66 pubmed..Knockdown of Fgf19 also caused incorrect axon pathfinding. The present findings indicate that Fgf19 positively regulates the patterning and growth of the retina, and the differentiation and growth of the lens in zebrafish. ..
- Vemaraju S, Kantarci H, Padanad M, Riley B. A spatial and temporal gradient of Fgf differentially regulates distinct stages of neural development in the zebrafish inner ear. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003068 pubmed publisher..Thus Fgf signaling renders SAG development self-regulating, ensuring steady production of an appropriate number of neurons as the larva grows...
- Hochmann S, Kaslin J, Hans S, Weber A, Machate A, Geffarth M, et al. Fgf signaling is required for photoreceptor maintenance in the adult zebrafish retina. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30365 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, rod and cone photoreceptors are regenerated completely. Our study reveals the requirement of Fgf signaling to maintain photoreceptors and for proliferation during regeneration in the adult zebrafish retina. ..
- Lecaudey V, Cakan Akdogan G, Norton W, Gilmour D. Dynamic Fgf signaling couples morphogenesis and migration in the zebrafish lateral line primordium. Development. 2008;135:2695-705 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this work uncovers a surprising link between internal tissue organization and collective migration. ..
- Lee Y, Grill S, Sanchez A, Murphy Ryan M, Poss K. Fgf signaling instructs position-dependent growth rate during zebrafish fin regeneration. Development. 2005;132:5173-83 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that Fgf signaling defines position-dependent blastemal properties and growth rates for the regenerating zebrafish appendage. ..
- Labalette C, Bouchoucha Y, Wassef M, Gongal P, Le Men J, Becker T, et al. Hindbrain patterning requires fine-tuning of early krox20 transcription by Sprouty 4. Development. 2011;138:317-26 pubmed publisher..In this mode of patterning, precision and robustness can be achieved by the introduction of a negative-feedback loop, which, in the hindbrain, is mediated by Spry4. ..
- Shin D, Shin C, Tucker J, Ober E, Rentzsch F, Poss K, et al. Bmp and Fgf signaling are essential for liver specification in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:2041-50 pubmed
- Sawada A, Fritz A, Jiang Y, Yamamoto A, Yamasu K, Kuroiwa A, et al. Zebrafish Mesp family genes, mesp-a and mesp-b are segmentally expressed in the presomitic mesoderm, and Mesp-b confers the anterior identity to the developing somites. Development. 2000;127:1691-702 pubmed..a reduction in expression of the posterior genes, myoD and notch5, with uniform expression of the anterior genes, FGFR1, papc and notch6...
- Matsuda M, Chitnis A. Atoh1a expression must be restricted by Notch signaling for effective morphogenesis of the posterior lateral line primordium in zebrafish. Development. 2010;137:3477-87 pubmed publisher..in the central cell, it drives expression of fgf10 and of the Notch ligand deltaD, while it inhibits expression of fgfr1. As a source of Fgf10, the central cell activates the FGF pathway in neighboring cells, ensuring that they form ..
- Rohner N, Bercs nyi M, Orb n L, Kolanczyk M, Linke D, Brand M, et al. Duplication of fgfr1 permits Fgf signaling to serve as a target for selection during domestication. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1642-7 pubmed publisher..The affected gene is fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 (fgfr1), which is known to have an essential embryonic function in vertebrate development...
- Thummel R, Bai S, Sarras M, Song P, McDermott J, Brewer J, et al. Inhibition of zebrafish fin regeneration using in vivo electroporation of morpholinos against fgfr1 and msxb. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:336-46 pubmed..Morpholino oligonucleotides against fgfr1 and msxb were utilized and knock-down of both proteins resulted in reduced fin outgrowth...
- Lepilina A, Coon A, Kikuchi K, Holdway J, Roberts R, Burns C, et al. A dynamic epicardial injury response supports progenitor cell activity during zebrafish heart regeneration. Cell. 2006;127:607-19 pubmed..Our findings reveal injury responses by myocardial and epicardial tissues that collaborate in an Fgf-dependent manner to achieve cardiac regeneration...
- Tonou Fujimori N, Takahashi M, Onodera H, Kikuta H, Koshida S, Takeda H, et al. Expression of the FGF receptor 2 gene (fgfr2) during embryogenesis in the zebrafish Danio rerio. Mech Dev. 2002;119 Suppl 1:S173-8 pubmed..We compared the expression of the four fgfr genes (fgfr1-4) in the CNS of zebrafish embryos and show that fgfr1 is the only fgfr gene that is expressed in the dorsal ..
- Klein C, Mikutta J, Krueger J, Scholz K, Brinkmann J, Liu D, et al. Neuron navigator 3a regulates liver organogenesis during zebrafish embryogenesis. Development. 2011;138:1935-45 pubmed publisher..We conclude that nav3a is required for directing endodermal organogenesis involving coordination of endodermal cell behavior. ..
- Diep C, Ma D, Deo R, Holm T, Naylor R, Arora N, et al. Identification of adult nephron progenitors capable of kidney regeneration in zebrafish. Nature. 2011;470:95-100 pubmed publisher..The identification of these cells paves the way to isolating or engineering the equivalent cells in mammals and developing novel renal regenerative therapies. ..
- Neugebauer J, Amack J, Peterson A, Bisgrove B, Yost H. FGF signalling during embryo development regulates cilia length in diverse epithelia. Nature. 2009;458:651-4 pubmed publisher..Morpholino knockdown of FGF receptor 1 (Fgfr1) in zebrafish cell-autonomously reduces cilia length in Kupffer's vesicle and perturbs directional fluid flow ..
- Tsai S, Liu D, Wang W. Fibroblast growth factor (Fgf) signaling pathway regulates liver homeostasis in zebrafish. Transgenic Res. 2013;22:301-14 pubmed publisher..Disruption of the Fgf signal-mediated metabolism might indirectly affect hepatocyte proliferation. ..
- Scholpp S, Groth C, Lohs C, Lardelli M, Brand M. Zebrafish fgfr1 is a member of the fgf8 synexpression group and is required for fgf8 signalling at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Dev Genes Evol. 2004;214:285-95 pubmed..Here, we describe cloning and expression analysis of the zebrafish fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 ( fgfr1)...
- Esain V, Postlethwait J, Charnay P, Ghislain J. FGF-receptor signalling controls neural cell diversity in the zebrafish hindbrain by regulating olig2 and sox9. Development. 2010;137:33-42 pubmed publisher..Overall, for the first time in vivo, our results reveal a mechanism of FGF in the control of neural cell diversity. ..
- Nechiporuk A, Linbo T, Poss K, Raible D. Specification of epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:611-23 pubmed..The coordinated interplay between craniofacial tissues would thus assure proper spatial and temporal interactions in the shaping of the vertebrate head...
- Shih H, Hsu S, Ouyang P, Lin S, Chou T, Chiang M, et al. Bmp5 Regulates Neural Crest Cell Survival and Proliferation via Two Different Signaling Pathways. Stem Cells. 2017;35:1003-1014 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate an important regulatory mechanism for bone morphogenic protein-initiated signal transduction underlying the formation of neural crest progenitors. Stem Cells 2017;35:1003-1014. ..
- McCarroll M, Lewis Z, Culbertson M, Martin B, Kimelman D, Nechiporuk A. Graded levels of Pax2a and Pax8 regulate cell differentiation during sensory placode formation. Development. 2012;139:2740-50 pubmed publisher..Our studies reveal the importance of Pax levels during sensory placode formation and provide a mechanism by which these levels are controlled. ..
- Topp S, Stigloher C, Komisarczuk A, Adolf B, Becker T, Bally Cuif L. Fgf signaling in the zebrafish adult brain: association of Fgf activity with ventricular zones but not cell proliferation. J Comp Neurol. 2008;510:422-39 pubmed publisher..We report expression of Fgf signals (fgf3,4,8a,8b,17b), receptors (fgfr1-4), and targets (erm, pea3, dusp6, spry1,2,4, and P-ERK) and document that genes of the embryonic fgf8 ..
- Harding M, Nechiporuk A. Fgfr-Ras-MAPK signaling is required for apical constriction via apical positioning of Rho-associated kinase during mechanosensory organ formation. Development. 2012;139:3130-5 pubmed publisher..This mechanism presents a novel cellular strategy for driving cell shape changes. ..
- Whitlock K, Illing N, Brideau N, Smith K, Twomey S. Development of GnRH cells: Setting the stage for puberty. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2006;254-255:39-50 pubmed..Thus the signaling of the GnRH neuronal circuitry is set up early in development laying the foundation for the GnRH network that is activated at puberty leading to reproductive function in the mature animal. ..
- Sang Q, Zhang J, Feng R, Wang X, Li Q, Zhao X, et al. Ildr1b is essential for semicircular canal development, migration of the posterior lateral line primordium and hearing ability in zebrafish: implications for a role in the recessive hearing impairment DFNB42. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:6201-11 pubmed publisher..We concluded that Ildr1b is crucial for the development of the inner ear and the lateral line system. This study provides the first evidence for the mechanism of Ildr1b on hearing in vivo and sheds light on the pathology of DFNB42. ..
- Venero Galanternik M, Kramer K, Piotrowski T. Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycans Regulate Fgf Signaling and Cell Polarity during Collective Cell Migration. Cell Rep. 2015;: pubmed publisher..The HSPGs themselves are regulated by the Wnt/Î²-catenin and Fgf pathways and thus are integral components of the regulatory network that coordinates collective cell migration with organ specification and morphogenesis. ..
- Liao W, Cheng C, Hung K, Chiu W, Chen G, Hwang P, et al. Protein tyrosine phosphatase receptor type O (Ptpro) regulates cerebellar formation during zebrafish development through modulating Fgf signaling. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013;70:2367-81 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Ptpro physically interacted with the Fgf receptor 1a (Fgfr1a) and dephosphorylated Fgfr1a in a dose-dependant manner...
- Duszynski R, Topczewski J, LeClair E. Divergent requirements for fibroblast growth factor signaling in zebrafish maxillary barbel and caudal fin regeneration. Dev Growth Differ. 2013;55:282-300 pubmed publisher..Multiple FGF ligands (fgf20a, fgf24), receptors (fgfr1-4) and downstream targets (pea3, il17d) are expressed in normal and regenerating barbel tissue, confirming FGF ..
- Chen C, Merriman A, Savage J, Willer J, Wahlig T, Katsanis N, et al. Transient laminin beta 1a Induction Defines the Wound Epidermis during Zebrafish Fin Regeneration. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005437 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal transient induction of lamb1a in epithelial cells as a key, growth factor-guided step in formation of a signaling-competent regeneration epidermis. ..
- Asaoka Y, Terai S, Sakaida I, Nishina H. The expanding role of fish models in understanding non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:905-14 pubmed publisher..The use of small fish in identifying novel potential therapeutic agents for the treatment of NAFLD and NASH is also addressed. ..
- Gonzalez Quevedo R, Lee Y, Poss K, Wilkinson D. Neuronal regulation of the spatial patterning of neurogenesis. Dev Cell. 2010;18:136-47 pubmed publisher..Fgf20a mutants have ectopic neurogenesis and lack the segment center progenitor population. Our findings reveal how signaling from neurons induces formation of a nonneurogenic zone of neural progenitors. ..
- Poulain M, Fürthauer M, Thisse B, Thisse C, Lepage T. Zebrafish endoderm formation is regulated by combinatorial Nodal, FGF and BMP signalling. Development. 2006;133:2189-200 pubmed..These results identify a molecular mechanism whereby FGF attenuates Nodal-induced endodermal transcription factors and highlight a potential mechanism whereby mesoderm and endoderm fates could segregate from each other. ..
- Lou X, Deshwar A, Crump J, Scott I. Smarcd3b and Gata5 promote a cardiac progenitor fate in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2011;138:3113-23 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal an evolutionarily conserved role for cBAF activity in cardiac differentiation. Importantly, they demonstrate that Smarcd3b and Gata5 can induce a primitive, CPC-like state. ..
- Liu F, Pogoda H, Pearson C, Ohyama K, L hr H, Hammerschmidt M, et al. Direct and indirect roles of Fgf3 and Fgf10 in innervation and vascularisation of the vertebrate hypothalamic neurohypophysis. Development. 2013;140:1111-22 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies suggest a model for the integrated neurohemal wiring of the hypothalamo-neurohypophyseal axis...
- Lee S, Huang M, Obholzer N, Sun S, Li W, Petrillo M, et al. Myc and Fgf Are Required for Zebrafish Neuromast Hair Cell Regeneration. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0157768 pubmed publisher..The dorsal-ventral pattern of fgfr1a in the neuromasts overlaps with the distribution of hair cell precursors...
- Chablais F, Jazwinska A. The regenerative capacity of the zebrafish heart is dependent on TGF? signaling. Development. 2012;139:1921-30 pubmed publisher..Thus, TGF? signaling orchestrates the beneficial interplay between scar-based repair and cardiomyocyte-based regeneration to achieve complete heart regeneration. ..
- Nguyen Chi M, Bryson Richardson R, Sonntag C, Hall T, Gibson A, Sztal T, et al. Morphogenesis and cell fate determination within the adaxial cell equivalence group of the zebrafish myotome. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003014 pubmed publisher..Thus our results reveal that the synergistic actions of HH, FGF, and BMP signaling independently create a three-dimensional (3D) signaling milieu that coordinates cell fate within the adaxial cell equivalence group. ..
- Kaslin J, Ganz J, Geffarth M, Grandel H, Hans S, Brand M. Stem cells in the adult zebrafish cerebellum: initiation and maintenance of a novel stem cell niche. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6142-53 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, retained epithelial properties such as distinct polarization and ventricular contact are critical common determinants to maintain neural stem cell activity in vertebrates. ..
- Bajard L, Morelli L, Ares S, PÃ©crÃ©aux J, JÃ¼licher F, Oates A. Wnt-regulated dynamics of positional information in zebrafish somitogenesis. Development. 2014;141:1381-91 pubmed publisher..The observed Wnt signaling gradient dynamics and timing of downstream events support a model for wavefront regulation in which cell flow plays a dominant role in transporting positional information. ..
- Ota S, Tonou Fujimori N, Nakayama Y, Ito Y, Kawamura A, Yamasu K. FGF receptor gene expression and its regulation by FGF signaling during early zebrafish development. Genesis. 2010;48:707-16 pubmed publisher..b>fgfr1 alone was expressed maternally throughout the blastoderm, and then zygotically in the anterior neural plate and ..
- Schall K, Holoyda K, Isani M, Lien C, Al Alam D, Grikscheit T. Inhibition of Fgf signaling in short bowel syndrome increases weight loss and epithelial proliferation. Surgery. 2017;161:694-703 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of fibroblast growth factor-1 signaling in short bowel syndrome decreases epithelial adaptation, increases Bromodeoxyuridine-labeled cells at 2Â weeks, and exacerbates weight loss while decreasing epithelial goblet cells. ..
- Dyer C, Blanc E, Hanisch A, Roehl H, Otto G, Yu T, et al. A bi-modal function of Wnt signalling directs an FGF activity gradient to spatially regulate neuronal differentiation in the midbrain. Development. 2014;141:63-72 pubmed publisher..This controls a dynamic, posteriorly retracting expression of her5 that directs neuronal differentiation in a precise spatiotemporal manner in the midbrain...
- Kang J, Hu J, Karra R, Dickson A, Tornini V, Nachtrab G, et al. Modulation of tissue repair by regeneration enhancer elements. Nature. 2016;532:201-6 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide evidence for 'tissue regeneration enhancer elements' (TREEs) that trigger gene expression in injury sites and can be engineered to modulate the regenerative potential of vertebrate organs. ..
- Huang W, Yang C, Chen I, Liu Y, Chang S, Chuang Y. Treatment of Glucocorticoids Inhibited Early Immune Responses and Impaired Cardiac Repair in Adult Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e66613 pubmed publisher..Our findings may help to clarify the initiation of cardiac repair, which could be used to develop a therapeutic intervention that may enhance cardiac repair in humans to compensate for the loss of cardiomyocytes after an MI. ..
- Bhat N, Riley B. Integrin-?5 coordinates assembly of posterior cranial placodes in zebrafish and enhances Fgf-dependent regulation of otic/epibranchial cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27778 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which itga5 coordinates cell migration into posterior placodes and augments Fgf signaling required for patterning of these tissues and cell survival in otic/epibranchial placodes. ..
- Goto H, Kimmey S, Row R, Matus D, Martin B. FGF and canonical Wnt signaling cooperate to induce paraxial mesoderm from tailbud neuromesodermal progenitors through regulation of a two-step epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Development. 2017;144:1412-1424 pubmed publisher..Wnt signaling initiates EMT, whereas FGF signaling terminates this event. Our results indicate that germ layer induction in the zebrafish tailbud is not a simple continuation of gastrulation events. ..
- Fang X, Zhang B, Thisse B, Bloom G, Thisse C. IQGAP3 is essential for cell proliferation and motility during zebrafish embryonic development. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2015;72:422-33 pubmed publisher..are similar to those resulting from overexpression of dominant negative forms of Ras or of Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor 1 (FGFR1), suggesting that IQGAP3 plays a role in FGFR1-Ras-ERK signaling...
- Persaud A, Alberts P, Hayes M, Guettler S, Clarke I, Sicheri F, et al. Nedd4-1 binds and ubiquitylates activated FGFR1 to control its endocytosis and function. EMBO J. 2011;30:3259-73 pubmed publisherb>Fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 (FGFR1) has critical roles in cellular proliferation and differentiation during animal development and adult homeostasis...
- De Smet F, Tembuyser B, Lenard A, Claes F, Zhang J, Michielsen C, et al. Fibroblast growth factor signaling affects vascular outgrowth and is required for the maintenance of blood vessel integrity. Chem Biol. 2014;21:1310-1317 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our work illustrates the power of a small molecule probe to reveal insights into blood vessel formation and stabilization and thus of broad interest to the vascular biology community. ..
- Steiner A, Kim T, Cabot V, Hudspeth A. Dynamic gene expression by putative hair-cell progenitors during regeneration in the zebrafish lateral line. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E1393-401 pubmed publisher..These results provide a resource for studying hair-cell regeneration and the biology of sensory progenitor cells. ..
- Umasankar P, Sanker S, Thieman J, Chakraborty S, Wendland B, Tsang M, et al. Distinct and separable activities of the endocytic clathrin-coat components Fcho1/2 and AP-2 in developmental patterning. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:488-501 pubmed publisher..Still, the fcho1 morphant phenotype is distinct from severe embryonic defects apparent when AP-2 is depleted. Our data thus challenge the primacy of FCHO1/2 in coat initiation. ..
- He Y, Wang Z, Sun S, Tang D, Li W, Chai R, et al. HDAC3 Is Required for Posterior Lateral Line Development in Zebrafish. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:5103-17 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that HDAC3 plays a crucial role in regulating posterior lateral line (PLL) formation and provide evidence for epigenetic regulation in auditory organ development. ..
- Li M, Page McCaw P, Chen W. FGF1 Mediates Overnutrition-Induced Compensatory Î²-Cell Differentiation. Diabetes. 2016;65:96-109 pubmed publisher..Thus, the recently discovered antidiabetes function of FGF1 may act partially through increasing Î²-cell differentiation. ..
- Allen R, Wallace R, Sisson B. A Rotifer-Based Technique to Rear Zebrafish Larvae in Small Academic Settings. Zebrafish. 2016;13:281-6 pubmed publisher..In addition, culturing rotifers provides a micrometazoan that serves as a model organism for teaching and undergraduate research studies for a variety of topics, including aging, toxicology, and predator-prey dynamics. ..
- Hu M, Bai Y, Zhang C, Liu F, Cui Z, Chen J, et al. Liver-Enriched Gene 1, a Glycosylated Secretory Protein, Binds to FGFR and Mediates an Anti-stress Pathway to Protect Liver Development in Zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005881 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Leg1 plays a unique role in protecting liver development under different stress conditions by serving as a secreted signaling molecule/modulator. ..
- Hong S, Hu P, Marino J, Hufnagel S, Hopkin R, ToromanoviÄ‡ A, et al. Dominant-negative kinase domain mutations in FGFR1 can explain the clinical severity of Hartsfield syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:1912-1922 pubmedMutations in FGFR1 have recently been associated with Hartsfield syndrome, a clinically distinct syndromic form of holoprosencephaly (HPE) with ectrodactly, which frequently includes combinations of craniofacial, limb and brain ..
- Kapsimali M, Kaushik A, Gibon G, Dirian L, Ernest S, Rosa F. Fgf signaling controls pharyngeal taste bud formation through miR-200 and Delta-Notch activity. Development. 2011;138:3473-84 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this study provides genetic evidence that supports a novel model where Fgf regulates Delta-Notch signaling, and subsequently miR-200 activity, in order to promote taste bud cell type differentiation. ..
- Han H, Chou C, Chu C, Cheng C, Yang C, Hung C, et al. The Nogo-C2/Nogo receptor complex regulates the morphogenesis of zebrafish lateral line primordium through modulating the expression of dkk1b, a Wnt signal inhibitor. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e86345 pubmed publisher..We thus suggest that a novel Nogo-C2 complex, consisting of Nogo-C2, NgRH1a, p75, and TROY, regulates Fgf signaling and dkk1b expression, thereby ensuring stable organization of the PLL primordium. ..
- Ariza Cosano A, Bensimon Brito A, Gomez Skarmeta J, Bessa J. sox21a directs lateral line patterning by modulating FGF signaling. Dev Neurobiol. 2015;75:80-92 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that sox21a is a key player in the pLL primordium patterning, fine-tuning the border of the Fgf and Wnt signaling domains. ..
- Jiang X, Huang Y, Wang X, Liang Q, Li Y, Li F, et al. Dianhydrogalactitol, a potential multitarget agent, inhibits glioblastoma migration, invasion, and angiogenesis. Biomed Pharmacother. 2017;91:1065-1074 pubmed publisher..Mechanistic studies reveal that DAG inhibited both VEGFR2 and FGFR1 pathways...