Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fgf8a
Description: fibroblast growth factor 8a
Alias: ace, cb110, etID309886.13, fgf-8, fgf8, id:ibd5031, wu:fb73a06, fibroblast growth factor 8, acerebellar, fibroblast growth factor 8 a
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Muraoka O, Hibi M. Interaction of Wnt and caudal-related genes in zebrafish posterior body formation. Dev Biol. 2005;279:125-41 pubmed..These data indicate that the cdx genes mediate Wnt signaling and play essential roles in the morphogenesis of the posterior body in zebrafish. ..
- Albertson R, Yelick P. Roles for fgf8 signaling in left-right patterning of the visceral organs and craniofacial skeleton. Dev Biol. 2005;283:310-21 pubmedLaterality is fundamental to the vertebrate body plan. Here, we investigate the roles of fgf8 signaling in LR patterning of the zebrafish embryo. We find that fgf8 is required for proper asymmetric development of the brain, heart and gut...
- Thorpe C, Weidinger G, Moon R. Wnt/beta-catenin regulation of the Sp1-related transcription factor sp5l promotes tail development in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:1763-72 pubmed..These data place sp5l downstream of wnt3a and wnt8 in a Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway that controls tail development in zebrafish. ..
- Duggan C, DeMaria S, Baudhuin A, Stafford D, Ngai J. Foxg1 is required for development of the vertebrate olfactory system. J Neurosci. 2008;28:5229-39 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we identified an evolutionarily conserved requirement for Foxg1 in the development of the vertebrate olfactory system. ..
- Hammond C, Hinits Y, Osborn D, Minchin J, Tettamanti G, Hughes S. Signals and myogenic regulatory factors restrict pax3 and pax7 expression to dermomyotome-like tissue in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;302:504-21 pubmed..Both Hedgehog and Fgf8, signals that induce muscle formation within the somite, suppress Pax3/7 and promote expression of myogenic ..
- Millimaki B, Sweet E, Dhason M, Riley B. Zebrafish atoh1 genes: classic proneural activity in the inner ear and regulation by Fgf and Notch. Development. 2007;134:295-305 pubmed..Interactions with the Notch pathway confirm that atoh1 genes have early proneural function. Fgf3 and Fgf8 are upstream activators of atoh1 genes during both phases, and foxi1, pax8 and dlx genes regulate atoh1b in the ..
- Ota S, Tonou Fujimori N, Nakayama Y, Ito Y, Kawamura A, Yamasu K. FGF receptor gene expression and its regulation by FGF signaling during early zebrafish development. Genesis. 2010;48:707-16 pubmed publisher..Using an FGF signal inhibitor, dominant-negative FGF receptors and fgf8.1/fgf8a mutants, we found that fgfr expression is directly or indirectly regulated by FGF signaling during epiboly and at ..
- Sweet E, Vemaraju S, Riley B. Sox2 and Fgf interact with Atoh1 to promote sensory competence throughout the zebrafish inner ear. Dev Biol. 2011;358:113-21 pubmed publisher..However, co-misexpression of atoh1a with fgf3, fgf8 or sox2, genes normally acting in the same gene network with atoh1a, stimulated sensory development in all regions ..
- Ganz J, Kaslin J, Hochmann S, Freudenreich D, Brand M. Heterogeneity and Fgf dependence of adult neural progenitors in the zebrafish telencephalon. Glia. 2010;58:1345-63 pubmed publisher..By blocking or activating Fgf signaling by misexpression of a dominant negative Fgf-receptor 1 or Fgf8a, respectively, we find that ventral and dorsal progenitors in the telencephalon also differ in their requirement ..
- Nikaido M, Doi K, Shimizu T, Hibi M, Kikuchi Y, Yamasu K. Initial specification of the epibranchial placode in zebrafish embryos depends on the fibroblast growth factor signal. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:564-71 pubmed..The expression of sox3 in the early lateral placode was absent in mutants lacking functional fgf8, while implantation of fibroblast growth factor (FGF) beads restored the sox3 expression...
- Walshe J, Mason I. Unique and combinatorial functions of Fgf3 and Fgf8 during zebrafish forebrain development. Development. 2003;130:4337-49 pubmedComplex spatiotemporal expression patterns of fgf3 and fgf8 within the developing zebrafish forebrain suggest their involvement in its regionalisation and early development...
- Reifers F, Böhli H, Walsh E, Crossley P, Stainier D, Brand M. Fgf8 is mutated in zebrafish acerebellar (ace) mutants and is required for maintenance of midbrain-hindbrain boundary development and somitogenesis. Development. 1998;125:2381-95 pubmed..By demonstrating genetic linkage and by analysing the structure of the Fgf8 gene, we show that acerebellar is a zebrafish Fgf8 mutation that may inactivate Fgf8 function...
- Kawakami Y, Rodriguez Leon J, Koth C, Buscher D, Itoh T, Raya A, et al. MKP3 mediates the cellular response to FGF8 signalling in the vertebrate limb. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:513-9 pubmed..and zebrafish limb/fin development, a known MAPK/ERK regulator, Mkp3, is induced in the mesenchyme by fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) signalling, through the PI3K/Akt pathway...
- Znosko W, Yu S, Thomas K, Molina G, Li C, Tsang W, et al. Overlapping functions of Pea3 ETS transcription factors in FGF signaling during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2010;342:11-25 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrated the interaction of Pea3 ETS factors with the Dusp6 promoter both in vitro and in vivo. These results revealed the requirement of ETS factors in transducing FGF signals in developmental processes. ..
- Herzog W, Sonntag C, von der Hardt S, Roehl H, Varga Z, Hammerschmidt M. Fgf3 signaling from the ventral diencephalon is required for early specification and subsequent survival of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Development. 2004;131:3681-92 pubmed..In mouse, the fibroblast growth factors Fgf8, Fgf10 and Fgf18 are thought to affect multiple processes of pituitary development: morphogenesis and patterning of ..
- Durbin L, Sordino P, Barrios A, Gering M, Thisse C, Thisse B, et al. Anteroposterior patterning is required within segments for somite boundary formation in developing zebrafish. Development. 2000;127:1703-13 pubmed
- Draper B, Stock D, Kimmel C. Zebrafish fgf24 functions with fgf8 to promote posterior mesodermal development. Development. 2003;130:4639-54 pubmed..In zebrafish, Fgf8 is encoded by the acerebellar locus, and, similar to its mouse otholog, is expressed in early mesodermal precursors during gastrulation...
- Ochi H, Hans S, Westerfield M. Smarcd3 regulates the timing of zebrafish myogenesis onset. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:3529-36 pubmed..In zebrafish, fgf8 and ntl expression commences during blastula stages, whereas myogenesis, as indicated by myod expression, does not ..
- Picker A, Brand M. Fgf signals from a novel signaling center determine axial patterning of the prospective neural retina. Development. 2005;132:4951-62 pubmed..We find that Fgf signals, including Fgf8, determine retinal patterning along the nasotemporal (NT) axis during early zebrafish embryogenesis: Fgf8 induces ..
- Fior R, Maxwell A, Ma T, Vezzaro A, Moens C, Amacher S, et al. The differentiation and movement of presomitic mesoderm progenitor cells are controlled by Mesogenin 1. Development. 2012;139:4656-65 pubmed publisher..of the PSM differentiation program by switching off the progenitor maintenance genes ntl, wnt3a, wnt8 and fgf8 in the future PSM cells as they exit from the tailbud, and subsequently induces expression of PSM markers such as ..
- Jeong J, Einhorn Z, Mathur P, Chen L, Lee S, Kawakami K, et al. Patterning the zebrafish diencephalon by the conserved zinc-finger protein Fezl. Development. 2007;134:127-36 pubmed..Our findings reveal that Fezl is crucial for establishing regional subdivisions within the diencephalon and may also play a role in the development of the telencephalon and hypothalamus. ..
- Millimaki B, Sweet E, Riley B. Sox2 is required for maintenance and regeneration, but not initial development, of hair cells in the zebrafish inner ear. Dev Biol. 2010;338:262-9 pubmed publisher..In contrast, regeneration does not occur in sox2-depleted embryos. These data show that zebrafish sox2 is required for hair cell survival, as well as for transdifferentiation of support cells into hair cells during regeneration. ..
- Groves J, Hammond C, Hughes S. Fgf8 drives myogenic progression of a novel lateral fast muscle fibre population in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:4211-22 pubmed..Here, we show that Fgf8 signalling in the somite is required for myod expression and terminal differentiation of a subset of fast muscle ..
- Zhang J, Wagh P, Guay D, Sanchez Pulido L, Padhi B, Korzh V, et al. Loss of fish actinotrichia proteins and the fin-to-limb transition. Nature. 2010;466:234-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that the loss of both actinodins and actinotrichia during evolution may have led to the loss of lepidotrichia and may have contributed to the fin-to-limb transition...
- Edlund R, Ohyama T, Kantarci H, Riley B, Groves A. Foxi transcription factors promote pharyngeal arch development by regulating formation of FGF signaling centers. Dev Biol. 2014;390:1-13 pubmed publisher..75 onwards. We show this cell death correlates with a delay in expression of Fgf8 in branchial arch ectoderm and a failure of neural crest cells in the arches to express FGF-responsive genes...
- Lekven A, Buckles G, Kostakis N, Moon R. Wnt1 and wnt10b function redundantly at the zebrafish midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Dev Biol. 2003;254:172-87 pubmed..However, wnt1 and wnt10b are not required for the maintenance of fgf8, en3, wnt8b, or wnt3a expression...
- Mackereth M, Kwak S, Fritz A, Riley B. Zebrafish pax8 is required for otic placode induction and plays a redundant role with Pax2 genes in the maintenance of the otic placode. Development. 2005;132:371-82 pubmed..This phenotype was strongly enhanced by simultaneously disrupting either of the co-inducers fgf3 or fgf8, or another early regulator, dlx3b, which is thought to act in a parallel pathway...
- Kwon H, Riley B. Mesendodermal signals required for otic induction: Bmp-antagonists cooperate with Fgf and can facilitate formation of ectopic otic tissue. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1582-94 pubmed publisher..to block mesoderm-formation, reduces otic induction and strongly enhances the effects of disrupting fgf3 or fgf8. In contrast, using a lower dose of SB431542, combined with partial loss of Fgf, causes a dramatic medial expansion ..
- Tsang M, Maegawa S, Kiang A, Habas R, Weinberg E, Dawid I. A role for MKP3 in axial patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2004;131:2769-79 pubmed..Thus, mkp3 encodes a feedback attenuator of the FGF pathway, the expression of which is initiated at an early stage so as to ensure correct FGF signaling levels at the time of axial patterning. ..
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Luz M, Werner M, Brand M. Positioning of the midbrain-hindbrain boundary organizer through global posteriorization of the neuroectoderm mediated by Wnt8 signaling. Development. 2005;132:1261-72 pubmed..Our findings argue that graded Wnt8 activity mediates overall neuroectodermal posteriorization and thus determines the location of the MHB organizer. ..
- Bajard L, Morelli L, Ares S, PÃ©crÃ©aux J, JÃ¼licher F, Oates A. Wnt-regulated dynamics of positional information in zebrafish somitogenesis. Development. 2014;141:1381-91 pubmed publisher..The observed Wnt signaling gradient dynamics and timing of downstream events support a model for wavefront regulation in which cell flow plays a dominant role in transporting positional information. ..
- Oates A, Rohde L, Ho R. Generation of segment polarity in the paraxial mesoderm of the zebrafish through a T-box-dependent inductive event. Dev Biol. 2005;283:204-14 pubmed
- Koshida S, Shinya M, Nikaido M, Ueno N, Schulte Merker S, Kuroiwa A, et al. Inhibition of BMP activity by the FGF signal promotes posterior neural development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2002;244:9-20 pubmed
- Solomon K, Kwak S, Fritz A. Genetic interactions underlying otic placode induction and formation. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:419-33 pubmedThe formation of the otic placode is a complex process requiring multiple inductive signals. In zebrafish, fgf3 and fgf8, dlx3b and dlx4b, and foxi1 have been identified as the earliest-acting genes in this process...
- Holzschuh J, Hauptmann G, Driever W. Genetic analysis of the roles of Hh, FGF8, and nodal signaling during catecholaminergic system development in the zebrafish brain. J Neurosci. 2003;23:5507-19 pubmed..Surprisingly, neither fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) alone nor in combination with Hh signaling is required for specification of early developing ..
- Neugebauer J, Amack J, Peterson A, Bisgrove B, Yost H. FGF signalling during embryo development regulates cilia length in diverse epithelia. Nature. 2009;458:651-4 pubmed publisher..SU5402 (a pharmacological inhibitor of FGF signalling) or genetic and morpholino reduction of redundant FGF ligands Fgf8 and Fgf24 reproduces this cilia length phenotype...
- Maves L, Jackman W, Kimmel C. FGF3 and FGF8 mediate a rhombomere 4 signaling activity in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2002;129:3825-37 pubmed..Two signaling molecules, FGF3 and FGF8, which are both expressed early in r4, are together required for the development of rhombomeres adjacent to r4, ..
- Norton W, Ledin J, Grandel H, Neumann C. HSPG synthesis by zebrafish Ext2 and Extl3 is required for Fgf10 signalling during limb development. Development. 2005;132:4963-73 pubmed..This reveals an unexpected specificity of HSPGs in regulating distinct vertebrate Fgfs. ..
- Fürthauer M, Lin W, Ang S, Thisse B, Thisse C. Sef is a feedback-induced antagonist of Ras/MAPK-mediated FGF signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:170-4 pubmed..patterns during embryonic development, we have identified five genes that define a synexpression group -- fgf8, fgf3, sprouty2, sprouty4, as well as a novel gene, sef (similar expression to fgf genes)...
- Harvey S, Logan M. sall4 acts downstream of tbx5 and is required for pectoral fin outgrowth. Development. 2006;133:1165-73 pubmed..Our studies of Sall gene family redundancy and tbx5 offer explanations for the similarity of individuals with OS and HOS limb defects. ..
- Stock D, Jackman W, Trapani J. Developmental genetic mechanisms of evolutionary tooth loss in cypriniform fishes. Development. 2006;133:3127-37 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that a loss of Fgf signaling to oral epithelium was associated with cypriniform tooth loss...
- Hashimoto H, Itoh M, Yamanaka Y, Yamashita S, Shimizu T, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Zebrafish Dkk1 functions in forebrain specification and axial mesendoderm formation. Dev Biol. 2000;217:138-52 pubmed..These data indicate that Dkk1, expressed in dorsal mesendoderm, functions in the formation of both the anterior nervous system and the axial mesendoderm in zebrafish. ..
- Picker A, Brennan C, Reifers F, Clarke J, Holder N, Brand M. Requirement for the zebrafish mid-hindbrain boundary in midbrain polarisation, mapping and confinement of the retinotectal projection. Development. 1999;126:2967-78 pubmed..We investigate the requirement for the MHB organizer in acerebellar mutants, which lack a MHB and cerebellum, but retain a tectum, and are mutant for fgf8, a candidate inducer and ..
- Liu D, Chu H, Maves L, Yan Y, Morcos P, Postlethwait J, et al. Fgf3 and Fgf8 dependent and independent transcription factors are required for otic placode specification. Development. 2003;130:2213-24 pubmed..We show that compromising Fgf3 and Fgf8 signaling blocks ear development; only a few scattered otic cells form...
- Shen Y, Raymond P. Zebrafish cone-rod (crx) homeobox gene promotes retinogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;269:237-51 pubmed..These results suggest novel functions for zebrafish crx during retinal specification and differentiation. ..
- Miyake A, Itoh N. Fgf22 regulated by Fgf3/Fgf8 signaling is required for zebrafish midbrain development. Biol Open. 2013;2:515-24 pubmed publisher..The fgf3/fgf8 double morphant phenotype was essentially similar to that of fgf22 morphants, whereas the phenotype caused by ..
- Hammond K, Whitfield T. Fgf and Hh signalling act on a symmetrical pre-pattern to specify anterior and posterior identity in the zebrafish otic placode and vesicle. Development. 2011;138:3977-87 pubmed publisher..Each signalling pathway has instructive activity: neither acts simply to repress activity of the other, and, together, they appear to be key players in the specification of anteroposterior asymmetries in the zebrafish ear. ..
- Hauptmann G, Gerster T. Regulatory gene expression patterns reveal transverse and longitudinal subdivisions of the embryonic zebrafish forebrain. Mech Dev. 2000;91:105-18 pubmed..Our data suggest a strong conservation of early forebrain organization between lower and higher vertebrates. ..
- Brand M, Heisenberg C, Jiang Y, Beuchle D, Lun K, Furutani Seiki M, et al. Mutations in zebrafish genes affecting the formation of the boundary between midbrain and hindbrain. Development. 1996;123:179-90 pubmed..in two genes affect the formation of the boundary between midbrain and hindbrain (MHB): no isthmus (noi) and acerebellar (ace)...
- Tu C, Yang T, Huang H, Tsai H. Zebrafish arl6ip1 is required for neural crest development during embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32899 pubmed publisher..Although the embryonic expression pattern of ADP ribosylation factor-like 6 interacting protein 1 (Arl6ip1) has been reported, its function in neural crest development is unclear...
- Nakayama Y, Miyake A, Nakagawa Y, Mido T, Yoshikawa M, Konishi M, et al. Fgf19 is required for zebrafish lens and retina development. Dev Biol. 2008;313:752-66 pubmed..Knockdown of Fgf19 also caused incorrect axon pathfinding. The present findings indicate that Fgf19 positively regulates the patterning and growth of the retina, and the differentiation and growth of the lens in zebrafish. ..
- Hans S, Liu D, Westerfield M. Pax8 and Pax2a function synergistically in otic specification, downstream of the Foxi1 and Dlx3b transcription factors. Development. 2004;131:5091-102 pubmed..Combined loss of both factors eliminates all indications of otic specification. We suggest that the Foxi1-Pax8 pathway provides an early 'jumpstart' of otic specification that is maintained by the Dlx3b-Pax2a pathway. ..
- Phillips B, Kwon H, Melton C, Houghtaling P, Fritz A, Riley B. Zebrafish msxB, msxC and msxE function together to refine the neural-nonneural border and regulate cranial placodes and neural crest development. Dev Biol. 2006;294:376-90 pubmed..These data suggest that mutual antagonism between Msx and Dlx proteins achieves a balance of function required for normal preplacodal differentiation and placement of the neural-nonneural border. ..
- Walshe J, Maroon H, McGonnell I, Dickson C, Mason I. Establishment of hindbrain segmental identity requires signaling by FGF3 and FGF8. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1117-23 pubmed..We show that signaling from this region by two members of the FGF family of secreted proteins, FGF3 and FGF8, is required to establish correct segmental identity throughout the hindbrain and for subsequent neuronal ..
- Reifers F, Walsh E, Leger S, Stainier D, Brand M. Induction and differentiation of the zebrafish heart requires fibroblast growth factor 8 (fgf8/acerebellar). Development. 2000;127:225-35 pubmed..fgf8 is mutated in acerebellar (ace) mutants, and homozygous mutant embryos do not establish normal circulation, although vessel formation is ..
- Leger S, Brand M. Fgf8 and Fgf3 are required for zebrafish ear placode induction, maintenance and inner ear patterning. Mech Dev. 2002;119:91-108 pubmed..b>Acerebellar (ace) is a mutant in the fgf8 gene that results in a non-functional Fgf8 product...
- Nechiporuk A, Linbo T, Poss K, Raible D. Specification of epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:611-23 pubmed..Here, we show that zebrafish embryos mutant for fgf3 and fgf8 do not express early EB placode markers, including foxi1 and pax2a...
- Regan J, Concha M, Roussigne M, Russell C, Wilson S. An Fgf8-dependent bistable cell migratory event establishes CNS asymmetry. Neuron. 2009;61:27-34 pubmed publisher..Here we show that zebrafish fgf8 mutants do not elaborate forebrain asymmetries, demonstrated by the failure of the parapineal nucleus to migrate ..
- Jászai J, Reifers F, Picker A, Langenberg T, Brand M. Isthmus-to-midbrain transformation in the absence of midbrain-hindbrain organizer activity. Development. 2003;130:6611-23 pubmedIn zebrafish acerebellar (ace) embryos, because of a point mutation in fgf8, the isthmic constriction containing the midbrain-hindbrain boundary (MHB) organizer fails to form...
- Hans S, Christison J, Liu D, Westerfield M. Fgf-dependent otic induction requires competence provided by Foxi1 and Dlx3b. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:5 pubmed..that fibroblast growth factors (Fgfs) are required for otic induction; in zebrafish, loss of both Fgf3 and Fgf8 results in total ablation of otic tissue...
- Kwon H, Bhat N, Sweet E, Cornell R, Riley B. Identification of early requirements for preplacodal ectoderm and sensory organ development. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001133 pubmed publisher..Localized ventral misexpression of Fgf8 and Chordin can activate ectopic preplacodal development anywhere within the zone of competence, whereas dorsal ..
- Padanad M, Riley B. Pax2/8 proteins coordinate sequential induction of otic and epibranchial placodes through differential regulation of foxi1, sox3 and fgf24. Dev Biol. 2011;351:90-8 pubmed publisher..These findings clarify the roles of pax8 and sox3 and support a model whereby the otic placode forms first and induces epibranchial placodes through an Fgf-relay. ..
- Kawakami Y, Raya A, Raya R, Rodriguez Esteban C, Izpisua Belmonte J. Retinoic acid signalling links left-right asymmetric patterning and bilaterally symmetric somitogenesis in the zebrafish embryo. Nature. 2005;435:165-71 pubmed
- Phillips B, Storch E, Lekven A, Riley B. A direct role for Fgf but not Wnt in otic placode induction. Development. 2004;131:923-31 pubmed..Using a genetic approach in zebrafish, we tested the roles of Fgf3, Fgf8 and Wnt8...
- Bajoghli B, Aghaallaei N, Heimbucher T, Czerny T. An artificial promoter construct for heat-inducible misexpression during fish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;271:416-30 pubmed..Application of this new induction system for Fgf8 misexpression during embryonic development reveals different windows of competence during eye development...
- Herrgen L, Ares S, Morelli L, Schroter C, Jülicher F, Oates A. Intercellular coupling regulates the period of the segmentation clock. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1244-53 pubmed publisher..Here we ask whether Delta-Notch coupling additionally influences the collective period of the segmentation clock...
- Piotrowski T, Ahn D, Schilling T, Nair S, Ruvinsky I, Geisler R, et al. The zebrafish van gogh mutation disrupts tbx1, which is involved in the DiGeorge deletion syndrome in humans. Development. 2003;130:5043-52 pubmed..Furthermore, we provide evidence for regulatory interactions between vgo/tbx1 and edn1 and hand2, genes that are implicated in the control of pharyngeal arch development and in the etiology of DGS. ..
- Fischer S, Draper B, Neumann C. The zebrafish fgf24 mutant identifies an additional level of Fgf signaling involved in vertebrate forelimb initiation. Development. 2003;130:3515-24 pubmed..b>Fgf8, which is expressed in the intermediate mesoderm, is thought to initiate forelimb formation by activating wnt2b, ..
- Kwak S, Vemaraju S, Moorman S, Zeddies D, Popper A, Riley B. Zebrafish pax5 regulates development of the utricular macula and vestibular function. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3026-38 pubmed..Thus, pax5 works in conjunction with fgf3 and pax2a to establish and/or maintain the utricular macula and is essential for vestibular function...
- Bosco A, Bureau C, Affaticati P, Gaspar P, Bally Cuif L, Lillesaar C. Development of hypothalamic serotoninergic neurons requires Fgf signalling via the ETS-domain transcription factor Etv5b. Development. 2013;140:372-84 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight a novel role for Etv5b in neuronal development and provide support for the existence of a developmental heterogeneity among 5-HT neurons in their requirement for ETS-domain transcription factors. ..
- Lee J, von der Hardt S, Rusch M, Stringer S, Stickney H, Talbot W, et al. Axon sorting in the optic tract requires HSPG synthesis by ext2 (dackel) and extl3 (boxer). Neuron. 2004;44:947-60 pubmed..This genetic evidence that heparan sulfate proteoglycan function is required for optic tract sorting provides clues to begin understanding the underlying molecular mechanisms. ..
- Scholpp S, Brand M. Endocytosis controls spreading and effective signaling range of Fgf8 protein. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1834-41 pubmed..b>Fgf8 is a member of the fibroblast growth factor family with key inductive functions during vertebrate development of, ..
- Sanek N, Taylor A, Nyholm M, Grinblat Y. Zebrafish zic2a patterns the forebrain through modulation of Hedgehog-activated gene expression. Development. 2009;136:3791-800 pubmed publisher..We show that zebrafish Zic2a limits transcription of the Hh targets pax2a and fgf8a in the OS and retina...
- Crump J, Maves L, Lawson N, Weinstein B, Kimmel C. An essential role for Fgfs in endodermal pouch formation influences later craniofacial skeletal patterning. Development. 2004;131:5703-16 pubmedFibroblast growth factor (Fgf) proteins are important regulators of pharyngeal arch development. Analyses of Fgf8 function in chick and mouse and Fgf3 function in zebrafish have demonstrated a role for Fgfs in the differentiation and ..
- Oates A, Mueller C, Ho R. Cooperative function of deltaC and her7 in anterior segment formation. Dev Biol. 2005;280:133-49 pubmed..Thus, anterior segmentation requires the functions of both her and delta family members in a parallel manner, suggesting that the segmentation oscillator operates in paraxial mesoderm along the entire vertebrate axis. ..
- Feng Y, Xu Q. Pivotal role of hmx2 and hmx3 in zebrafish inner ear and lateral line development. Dev Biol. 2010;339:507-18 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that hmx2 and hmx3 act as cell autonomous factors required redundantly for cell fate specification and differentiation during inner ear and lateral line development. ..
- Lun K, Brand M. A series of no isthmus (noi) alleles of the zebrafish pax2.1 gene reveals multiple signaling events in development of the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development. 1998;125:3049-62 pubmed..In contrast, onset of wnt1, fgf8 and her5 expression occurs normally in the null mutants, but is eliminated later on...