Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fgf3
Description: fibroblast growth factor 3
Alias: FGF-3, id:ibd5006, fibroblast growth factor 3, HBGF-3, heparin-binding growth factor 3, lia
- Hammond K, Whitfield T. Fgf and Hh signalling act on a symmetrical pre-pattern to specify anterior and posterior identity in the zebrafish otic placode and vesicle. Development. 2011;138:3977-87 pubmed publisher..In lia(-/-) (fgf3(-/-)) mutants, anterior otic character is reduced, but not lost altogether...
- Solomon K, Kwak S, Fritz A. Genetic interactions underlying otic placode induction and formation. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:419-33 pubmedThe formation of the otic placode is a complex process requiring multiple inductive signals. In zebrafish, fgf3 and fgf8, dlx3b and dlx4b, and foxi1 have been identified as the earliest-acting genes in this process...
- Herzog W, Sonntag C, von der Hardt S, Roehl H, Varga Z, Hammerschmidt M. Fgf3 signaling from the ventral diencephalon is required for early specification and subsequent survival of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Development. 2004;131:3681-92 pubmed..Here, we investigate the role of Fgf3 during pituitary development in the zebrafish, analyzing lia/fgf3 null mutants...
- David N, Saint Etienne L, Tsang M, Schilling T, Rosa F. Requirement for endoderm and FGF3 in ventral head skeleton formation. Development. 2002;129:4457-68 pubmed..Using a genetic interference approach, we further identify Fgf3 as a critical component of endodermal function that allows the development of posterior arch cartilages...
- Kwon H, Riley B. Mesendodermal signals required for otic induction: Bmp-antagonists cooperate with Fgf and can facilitate formation of ectopic otic tissue. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1582-94 pubmed publisher..SB431542 to block mesoderm-formation, reduces otic induction and strongly enhances the effects of disrupting fgf3 or fgf8...
- Hans S, Westerfield M. Changes in retinoic acid signaling alter otic patterning. Development. 2007;134:2449-58 pubmed..loss of RA signaling does not affect foxi1 expression or otic competence, but instead results in delayed onset of fgf3 expression and impaired otic induction...
- Bellipanni G, Varga M, Maegawa S, Imai Y, Kelly C, Myers A, et al. Essential and opposing roles of zebrafish beta-catenins in the formation of dorsal axial structures and neurectoderm. Development. 2006;133:1299-309 pubmed..We propose that the early, dorsal-promoting function of beta-catenin-2 is essential to counteract a later, dorsal- and neurectoderm-repressing function that is shared by both beta-catenin genes...
- Sweet E, Vemaraju S, Riley B. Sox2 and Fgf interact with Atoh1 to promote sensory competence throughout the zebrafish inner ear. Dev Biol. 2011;358:113-21 pubmed publisher..However, co-misexpression of atoh1a with fgf3, fgf8 or sox2, genes normally acting in the same gene network with atoh1a, stimulated sensory development in all ..
- Kudoh T, Wilson S, Dawid I. Distinct roles for Fgf, Wnt and retinoic acid in posteriorizing the neural ectoderm. Development. 2002;129:4335-46 pubmed..Thus, cyp26 has an important role in linking the Fgf, Wnt and RA signals to regulate AP patterning of the neural ectoderm in the late blastula to gastrula embryo in zebrafish. ..
- Nechiporuk A, Linbo T, Raible D. Endoderm-derived Fgf3 is necessary and sufficient for inducing neurogenesis in the epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:3717-30 pubmed..Using a morpholino knockdown approach, we find that fgf3 is required for the majority of placode cells to undergo neurogenesis...
- Edlund R, Ohyama T, Kantarci H, Riley B, Groves A. Foxi transcription factors promote pharyngeal arch development by regulating formation of FGF signaling centers. Dev Biol. 2014;390:1-13 pubmed publisher..We show that heat shock induction of fgf3 in zebrafish arch tissue can rescue cell death in foxi1 morphants...
- Maves L, Jackman W, Kimmel C. FGF3 and FGF8 mediate a rhombomere 4 signaling activity in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2002;129:3825-37 pubmed..Two signaling molecules, FGF3 and FGF8, which are both expressed early in r4, are together required for the development of rhombomeres adjacent ..
- Crump J, Maves L, Lawson N, Weinstein B, Kimmel C. An essential role for Fgfs in endodermal pouch formation influences later craniofacial skeletal patterning. Development. 2004;131:5703-16 pubmed..Analyses of Fgf8 function in chick and mouse and Fgf3 function in zebrafish have demonstrated a role for Fgfs in the differentiation and survival of postmigratory neural ..
- Phillips B, Storch E, Lekven A, Riley B. A direct role for Fgf but not Wnt in otic placode induction. Development. 2004;131:923-31 pubmed..A number of studies indicate that fibroblast growth factor (Fgf), especially Fgf3, is necessary and sufficient for otic induction...
- Kudoh T, Concha M, Houart C, Dawid I, Wilson S. Combinatorial Fgf and Bmp signalling patterns the gastrula ectoderm into prospective neural and epidermal domains. Development. 2004;131:3581-92 pubmed..We further show that Bmp signalling does occur within the vegetal prospective neural domain and that Bmp activity promotes the adoption of caudal fate by this tissue. ..
- Miyake A, Nakayama Y, Konishi M, Itoh N. Fgf19 regulated by Hh signaling is required for zebrafish forebrain development. Dev Biol. 2005;288:259-75 pubmedFibroblast growth factor (Fgf) signaling plays important roles in brain development. Fgf3 and Fgf8 are crucial for the formation of the forebrain and hindbrain. Fgf8 is also required for the midbrain to form...
- Wiellette E, Sive H. vhnf1 and Fgf signals synergize to specify rhombomere identity in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2003;130:3821-9 pubmed..This is achieved in part because vhnf1 gives cellular competence to respond to Fgf signals in a caudal hindbrain-specific manner. ..
- Kwak S, Vemaraju S, Moorman S, Zeddies D, Popper A, Riley B. Zebrafish pax5 regulates development of the utricular macula and vestibular function. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3026-38 pubmed..Hair cells in the saccule develop and survive normally. Otic expression of pax5 requires pax2a and fgf3, mutations in which cause vestibular defects, albeit by distinct mechanisms...
- Ishioka A, Jindo T, Kawanabe T, Hatta K, Parvin M, Nikaido M, et al. Retinoic acid-dependent establishment of positional information in the hindbrain was conserved during vertebrate evolution. Dev Biol. 2011;350:154-68 pubmed publisher..expression expanded anteriorly when transgenic embryos were exposed to retinoic acid (RA) or LiCl, or injected with fgf3/8 mRNA, implicating the flanking DNA examined here in the responsiveness of hoxb1b to posteriorizing signals...
- Feng Y, Xu Q. Pivotal role of hmx2 and hmx3 in zebrafish inner ear and lateral line development. Dev Biol. 2010;339:507-18 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that hmx2 and hmx3 act as cell autonomous factors required redundantly for cell fate specification and differentiation during inner ear and lateral line development. ..
- Tsang M, Maegawa S, Kiang A, Habas R, Weinberg E, Dawid I. A role for MKP3 in axial patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2004;131:2769-79 pubmed..Thus, mkp3 encodes a feedback attenuator of the FGF pathway, the expression of which is initiated at an early stage so as to ensure correct FGF signaling levels at the time of axial patterning. ..
- Breau M, Wilson D, Wilkinson D, Xu Q. Chemokine and Fgf signalling act as opposing guidance cues in formation of the lateral line primordium. Development. 2012;139:2246-53 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel chemotactic role for Fgf signalling in which it enables the coalescence of the lateral line primordium from an initial fuzzy pattern into a compact group of migrating cells. ..
- Liu F, Pogoda H, Pearson C, Ohyama K, L hr H, Hammerschmidt M, et al. Direct and indirect roles of Fgf3 and Fgf10 in innervation and vascularisation of the vertebrate hypothalamic neurohypophysis. Development. 2013;140:1111-22 pubmed publisher..Using ex vivo analyses in chick and in vivo analyses in mutant and transgenic zebrafish, we show that Fgf10 and Fgf3 secreted from the forming neurohypophysis exert direct guidance effects on hypothalamic neurosecretory axons...
- Walshe J, Maroon H, McGonnell I, Dickson C, Mason I. Establishment of hindbrain segmental identity requires signaling by FGF3 and FGF8. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1117-23 pubmed..We show that signaling from this region by two members of the FGF family of secreted proteins, FGF3 and FGF8, is required to establish correct segmental identity throughout the hindbrain and for subsequent neuronal ..
- Nechiporuk A, Linbo T, Poss K, Raible D. Specification of epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:611-23 pubmed..Here, we show that zebrafish embryos mutant for fgf3 and fgf8 do not express early EB placode markers, including foxi1 and pax2a...
- Nechiporuk A, Raible D. FGF-dependent mechanosensory organ patterning in zebrafish. Science. 2008;320:1774-7 pubmed publisher..b>fgf3/10 signals localized to the leading zone are required for rosette formation, atoh1a expression, and primordium ..
- Leger S, Brand M. Fgf8 and Fgf3 are required for zebrafish ear placode induction, maintenance and inner ear patterning. Mech Dev. 2002;119:91-108 pubmed..Here we study the role of Fgf8 as a bona-fide hindbrain-derived signal that acts in conjunction with Fgf3 during placode induction, maintenance and otic vesicle patterning...
- Hans S, Christison J, Liu D, Westerfield M. Fgf-dependent otic induction requires competence provided by Foxi1 and Dlx3b. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:5 pubmed..studies indicated that fibroblast growth factors (Fgfs) are required for otic induction; in zebrafish, loss of both Fgf3 and Fgf8 results in total ablation of otic tissue...
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Muraoka O, Hibi M. Interaction of Wnt and caudal-related genes in zebrafish posterior body formation. Dev Biol. 2005;279:125-41 pubmed..These data indicate that the cdx genes mediate Wnt signaling and play essential roles in the morphogenesis of the posterior body in zebrafish. ..
- Hernandez R, Rikhof H, Bachmann R, Moens C. vhnf1 integrates global RA patterning and local FGF signals to direct posterior hindbrain development in zebrafish. Development. 2004;131:4511-20 pubmed..The different requirements for vhnf1 and val to repress hoxb1a and ephrin-B2a, respectively, demonstrate that not all aspects of an individual rhombomere's identity are regulated coordinately. ..
- Nakayama Y, Miyake A, Nakagawa Y, Mido T, Yoshikawa M, Konishi M, et al. Fgf19 is required for zebrafish lens and retina development. Dev Biol. 2008;313:752-66 pubmed..Knockdown of Fgf19 also caused incorrect axon pathfinding. The present findings indicate that Fgf19 positively regulates the patterning and growth of the retina, and the differentiation and growth of the lens in zebrafish. ..
- Lecaudey V, Cakan Akdogan G, Norton W, Gilmour D. Dynamic Fgf signaling couples morphogenesis and migration in the zebrafish lateral line primordium. Development. 2008;135:2695-705 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this work uncovers a surprising link between internal tissue organization and collective migration. ..
- Zigman M, Laumann Lipp N, Titus T, Postlethwait J, Moens C. Hoxb1b controls oriented cell division, cell shape and microtubule dynamics in neural tube morphogenesis. Development. 2014;141:639-49 pubmed publisher..We propose that Hox genes can influence global tissue morphogenesis by control of microtubule dynamics in individual cells in vivo. ..
- Hans S, Liu D, Westerfield M. Pax8 and Pax2a function synergistically in otic specification, downstream of the Foxi1 and Dlx3b transcription factors. Development. 2004;131:5091-102 pubmed..Combined loss of both factors eliminates all indications of otic specification. We suggest that the Foxi1-Pax8 pathway provides an early 'jumpstart' of otic specification that is maintained by the Dlx3b-Pax2a pathway. ..
- Martinez Morales J, Del Bene F, Nica G, Hammerschmidt M, Bovolenta P, Wittbrodt J. Differentiation of the vertebrate retina is coordinated by an FGF signaling center. Dev Cell. 2005;8:565-74 pubmed..The concerted activity of Fgf8 and Fgf3 is both necessary and sufficient to coordinate retinal differentiation independent of the connecting optic stalk.
- Lee H, Tseng W, Lo F, Liu T, Tsai H. FoxD5 mediates anterior-posterior polarity through upstream modulator Fgf signaling during zebrafish somitogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;336:232-45 pubmed publisher..Loss of FoxD5 expression was observed in the embryos injected with fgf3-/fgf8-double-morpholinos (MOs)...
- Williams F, Messer W. Muscarinic acetylcholine receptors in the brain of the zebrafish (Danio rerio) measured by radioligand binding techniques. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2004;137:349-53 pubmed..Taken together, the binding results and favorable comparisons to mammalian systems indicate that zebrafish may provide a useful model organism for evaluating the role of cholinergic systems in learning, memory and behavior. ..
- Wu S, Shin J, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Chemokine GPCR signaling inhibits ?-catenin during zebrafish axis formation. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001403 pubmed publisher..Our study delineates a novel negative, Gsk3?-independent control mechanism of ?-catenin and implicates Ccr7 as a long-hypothesized GPCR regulating vertebrate axis formation. ..
- Ernst S, Liu K, Agarwala S, Moratscheck N, Avci M, Dalle Nogare D, et al. Shroom3 is required downstream of FGF signalling to mediate proneuromast assembly in zebrafish. Development. 2012;139:4571-81 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we uncovered the first mechanistic link between patterning and morphogenesis during LL sensory organ formation. ..
- Yamakoshi K, Shimoda N. De novo DNA methylation at the CpG island of the zebrafish no tail gene. Genesis. 2003;37:195-202 pubmed..Since no changes in methylation patterns were observed at the CpG islands of four other zebrafish genes, there must be a mechanism in zebrafish for specific methylation of the ntl CpG island. ..
- He Y, Tang D, Li W, Chai R, Li H. Histone deacetylase 1 is required for the development of the zebrafish inner ear. Sci Rep. 2016;6:16535 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that HDAC1 plays an important role in otic vesicle formation. ..
- Kiefer P, Mathieu M, Mason I, Dickson C. Secretion and mitogenic activity of zebrafish FGF3 reveal intermediate properties relative to mouse and Xenopus homologues. Oncogene. 1996;12:1503-11 pubmed..Extracellular zebrafish FGF3 (ZFGF3) also contains a smaller sized component that appears to result from an amino-terminal proteolytic cleavage...
- Nikaido M, Navajas Acedo J, Hatta K, Piotrowski T. Retinoic acid is required and Fgf, Wnt, and Bmp signaling inhibit posterior lateral line placode induction in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2017;431:215-225 pubmed publisher..This is the first report that the aLLp and pLLp depend on different inductive mechanisms and that pLLp induction requires the inhibition of Fgf, Wnt and Bmp signaling. ..
- Kim G, Kim H, Kim H, Moon J, Kim C, Kang S, et al. HtrA1 is a novel antagonist controlling fibroblast growth factor (FGF) signaling via cleavage of FGF8. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:4482-92 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this study offers insight into new strategies to control human diseases associated with HtrA1 and FGF signaling. ..
- Znosko W, Yu S, Thomas K, Molina G, Li C, Tsang W, et al. Overlapping functions of Pea3 ETS transcription factors in FGF signaling during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2010;342:11-25 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrated the interaction of Pea3 ETS factors with the Dusp6 promoter both in vitro and in vivo. These results revealed the requirement of ETS factors in transducing FGF signals in developmental processes. ..
- Plaster N, Sonntag C, Schilling T, Hammerschmidt M. REREa/Atrophin-2 interacts with histone deacetylase and Fgf8 signaling to regulate multiple processes of zebrafish development. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1891-904 pubmed..We present a model for RERE-dependent patterning in which tissue-specific transcriptional repression, by means of an REREa-HDAC complex, modulates growth factor signaling during embryogenesis. ..
- Mercer S, Odelberg S, Simon H. A dynamic spatiotemporal extracellular matrix facilitates epicardial-mediated vertebrate heart regeneration. Dev Biol. 2013;382:457-69 pubmed publisher..Thus, the engineering of nature-tested extracellular matrices may provide new strategic opportunities for the enhancement of regenerative responses in mammals...
- Choe C, Crump J. Tbx1 controls the morphogenesis of pharyngeal pouch epithelia through mesodermal Wnt11r and Fgf8a. Development. 2014;141:3583-93 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose a two-step model in which Tbx1 coordinates the Wnt-dependent epithelial destabilization of pouch-forming cells with their collective migration towards Fgf8a-expressing mesodermal guideposts. ..
- Weicksel S, Gupta A, Zannino D, Wolfe S, SAGERSTROM C. Targeted germ line disruptions reveal general and species-specific roles for paralog group 1 hox genes in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2014;14:25 pubmed publisher..Lastly, our data reveal independent regulation of hoxb1a expression by retinoic acid and Hoxb1b in zebrafish. ..
- Venero Galanternik M, Lush M, Piotrowski T. Glypican4 modulates lateral line collective cell migration non cell-autonomously. Dev Biol. 2016;419:321-335 pubmed publisher..Our results show that glypican4 has distinct functions in primordium cells and cells in the environment and that both of these functions are essential for collective cell migration. ..
- Walshe J, Mason I. Unique and combinatorial functions of Fgf3 and Fgf8 during zebrafish forebrain development. Development. 2003;130:4337-49 pubmedComplex spatiotemporal expression patterns of fgf3 and fgf8 within the developing zebrafish forebrain suggest their involvement in its regionalisation and early development...
- Lin C, Lee H, Chen H, Hsieh C, Tsai H. Normal function of Myf5 during gastrulation is required for pharyngeal arch cartilage development in zebrafish embryos. Zebrafish. 2013;10:486-99 pubmed publisher..crest (CNC) markers foxd3, sox9a, dlx2, and col2a1; (3) defect in the chondrogenic neural crest similar to that of fgf3 morphants; (4) reduced fgf3/fgf8 transcripts in the cephalic mesoderm rescued by co-injection of myf5 wobble-..
- McCarroll M, Lewis Z, Culbertson M, Martin B, Kimelman D, Nechiporuk A. Graded levels of Pax2a and Pax8 regulate cell differentiation during sensory placode formation. Development. 2012;139:2740-50 pubmed publisher..Our studies reveal the importance of Pax levels during sensory placode formation and provide a mechanism by which these levels are controlled. ..
- Xing C, Gong B, Xue Y, Han Y, Wang Y, Meng A, et al. TGFÎ²1a regulates zebrafish posterior lateral line formation via Smad5 mediated pathway. J Mol Cell Biol. 2015;7:48-61 pubmed publisher..Therefore, TGFÎ²/Smad5 signaling plays an important role in the zebrafish lateral line formation. ..
- Vanderlaan G, Tyurina O, Karlstrom R, Chandrasekhar A. Gli function is essential for motor neuron induction in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;282:550-70 pubmed..These observations demonstrate that Gli activator function (encoded by gli1, gli2, and gli3) is essential for motor neuron induction and Hh-regulated gene expression in zebrafish. ..
- Rong X, Chen C, Zhou P, Zhou Y, Li Y, Lu L, et al. R-spondin 3 regulates dorsoventral and anteroposterior patterning by antagonizing Wnt/?-catenin signaling in zebrafish embryos. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e99514 pubmed publisher..Human RSPO3 has similar action when tested in zebrafish embryos. These results suggest that Rspo3 regulates dorsoventral and anteroposterior patterning by negatively regulating the zygotic Wnt/?-catenin signaling in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Lush M, Piotrowski T. ErbB expressing Schwann cells control lateral line progenitor cells via non-cell-autonomous regulation of Wnt/?-catenin. elife. 2014;3:e01832 pubmed publisher..DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.01832.001. ..
- He Y, Tang D, Cai C, Chai R, Li H. LSD1 is Required for Hair Cell Regeneration in Zebrafish. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:2421-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, LSD1 plays a critical role in hair cell regeneration and might represent a novel biomarker and potential therapeutic approach for the treatment of hearing loss. ..
- Macleod D, Clark V, Bird A. Absence of genome-wide changes in DNA methylation during development of the zebrafish. Nat Genet. 1999;23:139-40 pubmed
- Sang Q, Zhang J, Feng R, Wang X, Li Q, Zhao X, et al. Ildr1b is essential for semicircular canal development, migration of the posterior lateral line primordium and hearing ability in zebrafish: implications for a role in the recessive hearing impairment DFNB42. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:6201-11 pubmed publisher..We concluded that Ildr1b is crucial for the development of the inner ear and the lateral line system. This study provides the first evidence for the mechanism of Ildr1b on hearing in vivo and sheds light on the pathology of DFNB42. ..
- Topp S, Stigloher C, Komisarczuk A, Adolf B, Becker T, Bally Cuif L. Fgf signaling in the zebrafish adult brain: association of Fgf activity with ventricular zones but not cell proliferation. J Comp Neurol. 2008;510:422-39 pubmed publisher..We report expression of Fgf signals (fgf3,4,8a,8b,17b), receptors (fgfr1-4), and targets (erm, pea3, dusp6, spry1,2,4, and P-ERK) and document that genes of ..