Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fgf24
Description: fibroblast growth factor 24
Alias: SI:zC207O21.2, lbx1h, si:zc207o21.1, fibroblast growth factor 24, ika, ikarus, wfgf, wound fgf
- Draper B, Stock D, Kimmel C. Zebrafish fgf24 functions with fgf8 to promote posterior mesodermal development. Development. 2003;130:4639-54 pubmed..We report here the identification of an fgf8-related gene in zebrafish, fgf24, that is co-expressed with fgf8 in mesodermal precursors during gastrulation...
- Poss K, Shen J, Nechiporuk A, McMahon G, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Roles for Fgf signaling during zebrafish fin regeneration. Dev Biol. 2000;222:347-58 pubmed..A zebrafish Fgf member, designated wfgf, is expressed in the regeneration epidermis during outgrowth...
- Ma H, Blake T, Chitnis A, Liu P, Balla T. Crucial role of phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase IIIalpha in development of zebrafish pectoral fin is linked to phosphoinositide 3-kinase and FGF signaling. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:4303-10 pubmed publisher..Our results identify Pik4a as an upstream partner of PI3Ks in the signaling cascade orchestrated by FGF receptors with a prominent role in forelimb development. ..
- Norton W, Ledin J, Grandel H, Neumann C. HSPG synthesis by zebrafish Ext2 and Extl3 is required for Fgf10 signalling during limb development. Development. 2005;132:4963-73 pubmed..This reveals an unexpected specificity of HSPGs in regulating distinct vertebrate Fgfs. ..
- Plaster N, Sonntag C, Schilling T, Hammerschmidt M. REREa/Atrophin-2 interacts with histone deacetylase and Fgf8 signaling to regulate multiple processes of zebrafish development. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1891-904 pubmed..We present a model for RERE-dependent patterning in which tissue-specific transcriptional repression, by means of an REREa-HDAC complex, modulates growth factor signaling during embryogenesis. ..
- Camarata T, Snyder D, Schwend T, Klosowiak J, Holtrup B, Simon H. Pdlim7 is required for maintenance of the mesenchymal/epidermal Fgf signaling feedback loop during zebrafish pectoral fin development. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:104 pubmed publisher..During fin growth fgf24 is sequentially expressed in the mesenchyme and then in the apical ectodermal ridge (AER)...
- Bhat N, Riley B. Integrin-?5 coordinates assembly of posterior cranial placodes in zebrafish and enhances Fgf-dependent regulation of otic/epibranchial cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27778 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which itga5 coordinates cell migration into posterior placodes and augments Fgf signaling required for patterning of these tissues and cell survival in otic/epibranchial placodes. ..
- Hochmann S, Kaslin J, Hans S, Weber A, Machate A, Geffarth M, et al. Fgf signaling is required for photoreceptor maintenance in the adult zebrafish retina. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30365 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, rod and cone photoreceptors are regenerated completely. Our study reveals the requirement of Fgf signaling to maintain photoreceptors and for proliferation during regeneration in the adult zebrafish retina. ..
- Shin D, Weidinger G, Moon R, Stainier D. Intrinsic and extrinsic modifiers of the regulative capacity of the developing liver. Mech Dev. 2012;128:525-35 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these studies reveal that there is more than one way to form a liver, and provide molecular insights into the phenomenon of tissue plasticity. ..
- Abe G, Ide H, Tamura K. Function of FGF signaling in the developmental process of the median fin fold in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;304:355-66 pubmed..Using expressions of three genes, dlx5a, sp9 and fgf24, as markers of different phases of fold development, our findings suggest that the early process of median fin ..
- Wilfinger A, Arkhipova V, Meyer D. Cell type and tissue specific function of islet genes in zebrafish pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2013;378:25-37 pubmed publisher..The normal expression of the pancreas mesenchyme markers meis3, fgf10 and fgf24 in isl1/2 depleted embryos suggests that this activity is independent of isl-gene function in pancreatic ..
- Leerberg D, Sano K, Draper B. Fibroblast growth factor signaling is required for early somatic gonad development in zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006993 pubmed publisher..Based on mutational analysis in zebrafish, we show that the Fgf ligand 24 (Fgf24) is required for proliferation, differentiation, and morphogenesis of the early somatic gonad, and as a result, ..
- Leichsenring M, Maes J, Mössner R, Driever W, Onichtchouk D. Pou5f1 transcription factor controls zygotic gene activation in vertebrates. Science. 2013;341:1005-9 pubmed publisher..Our data position Pou5f1 and SOX-POU sites at the center of the zygotic gene activation network of vertebrates and provide a link between zygotic gene activation and pluripotency control. ..
- Maulding K, Padanad M, Dong J, Riley B. Mesodermal Fgf10b cooperates with other fibroblast growth factors during induction of otic and epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1275-85 pubmed publisher..Disruption of fgf10b and fgf24 also strongly reduces, but does not eliminate, epibranchial induction...
- Mao Q, Stinnett H, Ho R. Asymmetric cell convergence-driven zebrafish fin bud initiation and pre-pattern requires Tbx5a control of a mesenchymal Fgf signal. Development. 2015;142:4329-39 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that a mesodermal Fgf24 convergence cue controlled by Tbx5a underlies this asymmetric convergent motility...
- Green M, Ho R, Hale M. Movement and function of the pectoral fins of the larval zebrafish (Danio rerio) during slow swimming. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:3111-23 pubmed publisher..fins in swimming, we compared the kinematics of finless larvae generated with a morpholino knockdown of the gene fgf24 to those of normal fish...
- Poulain M, Fürthauer M, Thisse B, Thisse C, Lepage T. Zebrafish endoderm formation is regulated by combinatorial Nodal, FGF and BMP signalling. Development. 2006;133:2189-200 pubmed..These results identify a molecular mechanism whereby FGF attenuates Nodal-induced endodermal transcription factors and highlight a potential mechanism whereby mesoderm and endoderm fates could segregate from each other. ..
- Rau M, Fischer S, Neumann C. Zebrafish Trap230/Med12 is required as a coactivator for Sox9-dependent neural crest, cartilage and ear development. Dev Biol. 2006;296:83-93 pubmed..Mediator is a coactivator complex transducing the interaction of DNA-binding transcription factors with RNA polymerase II, and our results reveal a critical function of the Trap230 subunit as a coactivator for Sox9. ..
- Clements W, Ong K, Traver D. Zebrafish wnt3 is expressed in developing neural tissue. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1788-95 pubmed publisher..This lack of early expression should make it possible to study later Wnt3-regulated patterning events, such as neural patterning, by knockdown studies in zebrafish. ..
- Koudijs M, den Broeder M, Groot E, van Eeden F. Genetic analysis of the two zebrafish patched homologues identifies novel roles for the hedgehog signaling pathway. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:15 pubmed publisher..Additionally, these mutants will provide a useful system to further investigate the consequences of constitutively activated Hh signaling during vertebrate development. ..
- Duszynski R, Topczewski J, LeClair E. Divergent requirements for fibroblast growth factor signaling in zebrafish maxillary barbel and caudal fin regeneration. Dev Growth Differ. 2013;55:282-300 pubmed publisher..Multiple FGF ligands (fgf20a, fgf24), receptors (fgfr1-4) and downstream targets (pea3, il17d) are expressed in normal and regenerating barbel tissue, ..
- Masselink W, Cole N, Fényes F, Berger S, Sonntag C, Wood A, et al. A somitic contribution to the apical ectodermal ridge is essential for fin formation. Nature. 2016;535:542-6 pubmed
- Pi Roig A, Martin Blanco E, Minguillon C. Distinct tissue-specific requirements for the zebrafish tbx5 genes during heart, retina and pectoral fin development. Open Biol. 2014;4:140014 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we uncover a novel role for tbx5 genes in the establishment of correct heart asymmetry in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Haffter P, Odenthal J, Mullins M, Lin S, Farrell M, Vogelsang E, et al. Mutations affecting pigmentation and shape of the adult zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol. 1996;206:260-76 pubmed publisher..Mutations in sandy produced embryos that failed to express tyrosinase activity. These are potentially useful for using tyrosinase as a marker for the generation of transgenic lines of zebrafish. ..
- Lam P, Kamei C, Mangos S, Mudumana S, Liu Y, Drummond I. odd-skipped related 2 is required for fin chondrogenesis in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:1284-92 pubmed publisher..The zebrafish odd-skipped related 2 gene regulates sox9a and col2a1 expression in chondrocyte development and is specifically required for zebrafish fin morphogenesis. ..
- Pascoal S, Esteves de Lima J, Leslie J, Hughes S, Saude L. Notch signalling is required for the formation of structurally stable muscle fibres in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68021 pubmed publisher..We propose that by controlling the differentiation of myogenic progenitor cells, Notch signalling might secure the formation of structurally stable muscle fibres in the zebrafish pectoral fin. ..
- Jovelin R, He X, Amores A, Yan Y, Shi R, Qin B, et al. Duplication and divergence of fgf8 functions in teleost development and evolution. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2007;308:730-43 pubmed..apical ectodermal ridge of the pectoral fin bud in zebrafish and stickleback, coupled with the role of fgf16 and fgf24 in teleost pectoral appendage show that different Fgf genes may play similar roles in limb development in various ..
- Bhat N, Kwon H, Riley B. A gene network that coordinates preplacodal competence and neural crest specification in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;373:107-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have identified a gene regulatory network that coordinates development of NC, PPE and individual placodes in zebrafish. ..
- Wu S, Zhang H, Cairns B. Genes for embryo development are packaged in blocks of multivalent chromatin in zebrafish sperm. Genome Res. 2011;21:578-89 pubmed publisher..Taken together, gene sets with particular functions in the embryo are packaged by distinctive types of complex and often atypical chromatin in sperm. ..
- Belting H, Wendik B, Lunde K, Leichsenring M, Mössner R, Driever W, et al. Pou5f1 contributes to dorsoventral patterning by positive regulation of vox and modulation of fgf8a expression. Dev Biol. 2011;356:323-36 pubmed publisher..Our data reveals a set of direct and indirect interactions of Pou5f1 with the BMP dorsoventral patterning network that serve to fine-tune dorsoventral patterning mechanisms and coordinate patterning with developmental timing. ..
- Kim G, Kim H, Kim H, Moon J, Kim C, Kang S, et al. HtrA1 is a novel antagonist controlling fibroblast growth factor (FGF) signaling via cleavage of FGF8. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:4482-92 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this study offers insight into new strategies to control human diseases associated with HtrA1 and FGF signaling. ..
- Songhet P, Adzic D, Reibe S, Rohr K. fgf1 is required for normal differentiation of erythrocytes in zebrafish primitive hematopoiesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:633-43 pubmed..Expression of the erythroid markers gata1 and ika, normally diminishing in differentiating erythrocytes at this stage, is maintained at abnormally high levels in ..
- Naye F, Voz M, Detry N, Hammerschmidt M, Peers B, Manfroid I. Essential roles of zebrafish bmp2a, fgf10, and fgf24 in the specification of the ventral pancreas. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:945-54 pubmed publisher..By contrast, through the analysis of fgf10(-/-); fgf24(-/-) embryos, we reveal the specific role of these two FGF ligands in the induction of the ventral pancreas and in ..
- Lee B, Roy S. Blimp-1 is an essential component of the genetic program controlling development of the pectoral limb bud. Dev Biol. 2006;300:623-34 pubmed..We present evidence that blimp-1 functions downstream of tbx5 and fgf24 and therefore is not required for the initial specification of the fin bud primordia...
- Suster M, Abe G, Schouw A, Kawakami K. Transposon-mediated BAC transgenesis in zebrafish. Nat Protoc. 2011;6:1998-2021 pubmed publisher..Our protocol drastically reduces the labor involved in BAC transgenesis and will greatly facilitate biological and biomedical studies in model vertebrates. ..
- Fischer S, Filipek Gorniok B, Ledin J. Zebrafish Ext2 is necessary for Fgf and Wnt signaling, but not for Hh signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:53 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results support the hypothesis that regulation of heparan sulfate biosynthesis has distinct instructive functions for different signaling factors. ..
- He X, Yan Y, Eberhart J, Herpin A, Wagner T, Schartl M, et al. miR-196 regulates axial patterning and pectoral appendage initiation. Dev Biol. 2011;357:463-77 pubmed publisher..These results show that a Hox cluster microRNA modulates development of axial patterning similar to nearby protein-coding Hox genes, and acts on appendicular patterning at least in part by modulating retinoic acid signaling. ..
- Padanad M, Bhat N, Guo B, Riley B. Conditions that influence the response to Fgf during otic placode induction. Dev Biol. 2012;364:1-10 pubmed publisher..These findings document the variables critically affecting the response to Fgf and clarify the roles of foxi1 and pax2/8 in the otic response. ..
- Brunet F, Roest Crollius H, Paris M, Aury J, Gibert P, Jaillon O, et al. Gene loss and evolutionary rates following whole-genome duplication in teleost fishes. Mol Biol Evol. 2006;23:1808-16 pubmed..These results show that similar mechanisms are at work in fishes as in yeast or plants and provide a framework for future investigation of the consequences of duplication in fishes and other animals. ..